Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

Oliver uses a hypothetical upside and selective stories to argue against a hypothetical downside and selective stories. That's just good science.

At least we stabilized the region and pulled our troops out to make good on a campaign promise.

The science isn't hypothetical. As I proved pages ago.......ignore it if you want.

And how about we move past the "it's Obamas fault" ....and, correct me if I'm wrong here, but you would be one of the first to be pissed at the assumption that this is Americas fault, based on your past posts.....and let's try and help these people.
  • Options

no more than you and your source's, it's all the same info with a different presentation so if you don't like the delivery change the channel right ?

I've seen these refugees on various channels marching and at one point stealing from people trying to help them or even throwing rocks at busses and cars, they have been filmed using cell phones most are wearing decent clothing then I've seen refugees on other news sources from other third world countries near naked and so thin and malnourished the ones that haven't died look near death and non of them had cell phones, where's your bleeding heart for them ? you can go into any big city and find a homeless population and homeless who have died of exposer or hunger so like I said maybe it's time to look at the cause and motive and stop watching propaganda television like the one posted earlier...and you guy's thought FOX was bad....it's all the same crap just flavored differently.

Godfather.

Either you didn't watch the Oliver clip or your willfully ignorant. I'm going to guess the latter.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    dignin said:

no more than you and your source's, it's all the same info with a different presentation so if you don't like the delivery change the channel right ?

I've seen these refugees on various channels marching and at one point stealing from people trying to help them or even throwing rocks at busses and cars, they have been filmed using cell phones most are wearing decent clothing then I've seen refugees on other news sources from other third world countries near naked and so thin and malnourished the ones that haven't died look near death and non of them had cell phones, where's your bleeding heart for them ? you can go into any big city and find a homeless population and homeless who have died of exposer or hunger so like I said maybe it's time to look at the cause and motive and stop watching propaganda television like the one posted earlier...and you guy's thought FOX was bad....it's all the same crap just flavored differently.

Godfather.

Either you didn't watch the Oliver clip or your willfully ignorant. I'm going to guess the latter.
    so please explain then.

Godfather.

• Options

dignin said:

Godfather.

so please explain then.

Godfather.

Explain what exactly? I thought it was very clear in the Oliver clip....for one, how FOX Nwes clearly manipulates the truth. Appealing to their racist base.

Ask me specific questions and I will answer.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    I was curious how GF would react to the video.... and the reaction is denial. That's not very interesting.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I was curious how GF would react to the video.... and the reaction is denial. That's not very interesting.

all the reactions to the video are interesting to me , we all see a different and hear different interpretations, to believe there is only one correct interpretation closes the door to individual answers and idea's, you know that I usually don't follow the main stream idea's among train members so knowing that why would you expect anything different from me ?...if you did.

Godfather.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    GF, they used a videos from 2010 implying it was video of current refugees. They used false information to create fear. I get that all news is skewed but this is bad. Really bad.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

all the reactions to the video are interesting to me , we all see a different and hear different interpretations, to believe there is only one correct interpretation closes the door to individual answers and idea's, you know that I usually don't follow the main stream idea's among train members so knowing that why would you expect anything different from me ?...if you did.

Godfather.

I don't think there is only one interpretation, but denial is the worst possible one. I actually did expect more from you.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    callen said:

GF, they used a videos from 2010 implying it was video of current refugees. They used false information to create fear. I get that all news is skewed but this is bad. Really bad.

Fox News does that kind of thing ALL the time. And Fox News watchers just don't seem to care. It's incredible. And amazingly fucking stupid.
  • Options
    If there's demand someone will fill it. Fox fills craving for tribalism.

Thinking advertisers should be targeted.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    callen said:

The advertisers' goal is to advertise, and they're doing it. The news media's job is to give people the news accurately and without bias - this is a necessity in a democratic nation - and Fox News fails at that in spectacular fashion, ON PURPOSE. Fox News should be targeted. Let's not lower our standards that miserably when it comes to the news media. We need to serve as watchdogs, not bend over and take it up the ass just because people who don't know any better like to consume it. Those people also BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE, because they are the news media, and their job is to tell the truth.

If that stupid craving for tribalism needs to be fulfilled, then it should be fulfilled by something other than a news network. Talk radio is always a good outlet for lunatics.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    I don't believe in any God eather, but I do believe in
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

The advertisers' goal is to advertise, and they're doing it. The news media's job is to give people the news accurately and without bias - this is a necessity in a democratic nation - and Fox News fails at that in spectacular fashion, ON PURPOSE. Fox News should be targeted. Let's not lower our standards that miserably when it comes to the news media. We need to serve as watchdogs, not bend over and take it up the ass just because people who don't know any better like to consume it. Those people also BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE, because they are the news media, and their job is to tell the truth.

If that stupid craving for tribalism needs to be fulfilled, then it should be fulfilled by something other than a news network. Talk radio is always a good outlet for lunatics.
    Just playing devils advocate now,.but do you really think there is just one truth? I believe the world is much more complicated, than that... Believing in just one simple truth, is something Fox deals in. I strongly believe in different sides of a strory, each side with its own biases. There is no higher truth, there's just a complicated world, with billions of different stories and interpretations... That is what makes this world such an interesting place to live in.
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Aafke said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Just playing devils advocate now,.but do you really think there is just one truth? I believe the world is much more complicated, than that... Believing in just one simple truth, is something Fox deals in. I strongly believe in different sides of a strory, each side with its own biases. There is no higher truth, there's just a complicated world, with billions of different stories and interpretations... That is what makes this world such an interesting place to live in.
    Yes, I do believe there is just one truth. That is the definition of truth. I think you're talking about perceptions and, as you said, interpretation. There are also FACTS that can be used and relayed to the public so they can make their own interpretations. That's what is supposed to be happening with the news. But in any case, that is neither here nor there in this context, is it? Fox doesn't just perceive things differently. They tell outright lies, call a thing something when it is specifically something else altogether. To use a video from 2010 and say it's a video from 2015 is not being biased. It's straight up lying in order to support a bias that already exists.

I know that news media can't really be 100% unbiased. But they need to at least try to aim for it. Fox news specifically twists the facts so that one thing is made to look like something else altogether. I'm surprised what they do while calling themselves a news network is even legal, quite frankly.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Godfather.

So if I understand you GF, you think that because the current refugees are relatively well dressed and have cell phones they aren't real refugees? I wonder what you would do if war broke out in your county or state? If your neighbourhood was being bombed and there were no services? I don't know your personal circumstances but there's a good chance you might try to leave and take your family to safety, and if you did leave you'd probably try to grab some warm traveling clothing. I'm guessing you might want your cell phone so you could try to keep in contact with family and friends, maybe keep up with the news. How different do you think you'd look than some of the people you see on the news? Would you be a real refugee or not? If most of your country was a war zone, you might consider trying to cross the border to Canada for refuge, but by your logic we probably shouldn't take you in.

And for you to presume that those thinking and writing about this refugee crisis aren't also concerned about other conflict zones or the homeless in our communities is absurd.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I have often paused and wondered,
    If I was walking down the street one day in my perfect little first world country, turned a corner and saw 10 000 refugees that suddenly arrived that day because society demanded it of our govt what would my reaction be?

• Options

If I was walking down the street one day in my perfect little first world country, turned a corner and saw 10 000 refugees that suddenly arrived that day because society demanded it of our govt what would my reaction be?

Concerned.

But if you spread those 10,000 refugees around and you only saw a few families... you wouldn't be so concerned.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Concerned.

But if you spread those 10,000 refugees around and you only saw a few families... you wouldn't be so concerned.
    Why is this so hard for people to get?
  • Options
    What if the number around the corner you encounter is 50 000?
    Would you notice 50 000 spread around?
  • Options

In our country?

You could put them all in a corner of Saskatchewan and no-one would even see them :lol:
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

In our country?

You could put them all in a corner of Saskatchewan and no-one would even see them :lol:
    Sure we could just send them all to Canada, it's so sparsely populated :)
  • Options

In our country?

But there's a reason why not a lot of people live in Saskatchewan....
  • Options

In our country?

True :) Then again, it's important to be adaptable right? I'm sure it's scenic...right? ;)
  • Options

In our country?

True :) Then again, it's important to be adaptable right? I'm sure it's scenic...right? ;)
    Do you enjoy viewing wheat?
  • Options

In our country?

Do you enjoy viewing wheat?
    I'm sure it could be quite soothing :p
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Jumping in again late here.But in the U.S. Wouldn't the majority of accepted relocated refugees from Syria seek out communities with other larger populations of similar people.Much like the Iraqis did up in Michigan and someNorth Africans did in Minnesota?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

News networks goal(job) is one thing. Money. How do they get money, advertising, what brings in advertising, ratings, what increases ratings, satisfying viewers cravings/insecurities. Why do advertisers advertise, money. No more money for advertisers, no more supporting TV shows. And yes news is now a show. No such thing as news. So only way to get news themed shows in check, target advertisers. Why Christians and gay groups target advertisers when retaliating.

Sad thing other News Shows won't bring up each other's inaccuracies. All happy with their piece of the pie.
  • Options
    Why stewart was a breath if fresh air and a loss for humanity.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Jumping in again late here.But in the U.S. Wouldn't the majority of accepted relocated refugees from Syria seek out communities with other larger populations of similar people.Much like the Iraqis did up in Michigan and someNorth Africans did in Minnesota?

Wouldn't argue bit their teenage daughters will want to dress like latest version of Spears, have posters of Liam and the boys master baiting to free porn, listening to pearl jam and smoking pot. Works out in the end.
  • Options
    Aafke said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Watch the freak in video. Not about different views. Peddling fear to sell more fucking Ford trucks.

Yep. Easy to say "take them in you guys. "
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Fox News does that kind of thing ALL the time. And Fox News watchers just don't seem to care. It's incredible. And amazingly fucking stupid.
    the FOX news watchers ? ? well I don't know about the rest of them but as far as this news watcher see's it the news has become so disappointing (on any station) that it's just easier skim thru the info and wait for the next story, if I said it breaks my heart to see people suffer would it make the pain and suffering of people stop ? I haven't become insensitive to the worlds problems over the years but I have paid a little more attention than I used to and it seems to me that pain and suffering have become quick media sales not just for fox but every news outlet and people have learned to use this, everybody's a victim .....attacked for no reason and all they have to do is bleed for the camera and every kind hearted citizen watching will scream in outrage for the poor bleeding people on T.V creating support for something the viewer knows very little about, train members need to understand that compassion and support have become a marketable commodities for the media outlets and there are people that will and do use that tool...not all victim's of course but way too many for me to pour my warm and fuzzy feelings out on the floor just to see the tables turn in a few short years or even days.

hope that explains it well enough.

Godfather.