Refugee crisis

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

My country is not so nice as it was about 20 years ago I wouldn't recommend coming here. We have for example people sitting and begging for money outside all stores and in every street corner. They have travelled here from poor parts of Europe just to sit and beg, it's very tragic.
    Another horrible thing that has happenend over here was when Abraham Ukbakabir 36 yrs old from Eritrea murdered two innocent people in an IKEA store, a mom and her son it was because he was disappointed about the rejection he had gotten on his asylum application.

Maybe I shouldn't bring up stories like this, but I can't help getting angry.
    I still think it's right to give asylum to refugees that really needs it but not more than a country can do in a good way both for the sake of people living here already and the people arriving.
    Sounds like a normal Tuesday afternoon state of affairs for most of the world.
    You're not saying that because this is a typical Tuesday in many shit countries... your country shouldn't expect any better are you? In other words... other people deal with f**ked up people so why shouldn't you?

These stories presented are the items used to counter pro immigration arguments. They are definitely worth considering.

I'm all for Canada allowing access to any suitable person wishing to come to Canada and be a Canadian. If somebody wishes to immigrate to Canada, but live like a martian as they did in martianville... stay in martianville and be a martian.
    No, I was only trying to make the point that there is violence everywhere, and while Sweden may have been a virtual paradise for a while, I doubt it's become the kind of place that shouldn't be recommended for travel.
    Thanks rgambs :)
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

My country is not so nice as it was about 20 years ago I wouldn't recommend coming here. We have for example people sitting and begging for money outside all stores and in every street corner. They have travelled here from poor parts of Europe just to sit and beg, it's very tragic.
    Another horrible thing that has happenend over here was when Abraham Ukbakabir 36 yrs old from Eritrea murdered two innocent people in an IKEA store, a mom and her son it was because he was disappointed about the rejection he had gotten on his asylum application.

I still think it's right to give asylum to refugees that really needs it but not more than a country can do in a good way both for the sake of people living here already and the people arriving.
    You're not saying that because this is a typical Tuesday in many shit countries... your country shouldn't expect any better are you? In other words... other people deal with f**ked up people so why shouldn't you?

These stories presented are the items used to counter pro immigration arguments. They are definitely worth considering.

I'm all for Canada allowing access to any suitable person wishing to come to Canada and be a Canadian. If somebody wishes to immigrate to Canada, but live like a martian as they did in martianville... stay in martianville and be a martian.
    Exactly, and yes we should still help people.
    Anna...

Can you speak to the variables that might account for the digression of your country in the last 20 years you alluded to?

I've never actually thought of Sweden as unsafe. This is a bit of a revelation to me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565

Annafalk said:

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

Exactly, and yes we should still help people.
    Anna...

Can you speak to the variables that might account for the digression of your country in the last 20 years you alluded to?

I've never actually thought of Sweden as unsafe. This is a bit of a revelation to me.
    I have never heard it or read it either. And i do know Swedish people. No one thinks Sweden should be avoided at all. And FWIW, I bet there are way more panhandlers in Vancouver than there are in the entire nation of Sweden, and that doesn't seem to hurt Vancouver's tourism industry at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2016
    -
    Post edited by Annafalk on