Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Thank you for this. Nice to see that in some places in the world, people actually CARE. I seriously can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on the thread about the refugees. How some people sleep at night is baffling to me. But I guess when you have NO HEART, sleep comes easy.
    how would it be if all shared the same idea or opinion ?.....no fun at all. LOL !

Godfather.

Yeah, because the refugee crisis is SO fun, right?
    I don't think you're going to have any luck convincing people that supporting not helping people in desperate need and instead criticizing and being paranoid/suspicious about those in need is a valuable contribution to interesting diversity.
    what have you done help these people ? money , time ? or does it make you feel better to say you support them and their struggle, lighten up Francis.

Godfather.

First of all, not specifically helping them isn't the same as specifically thinking they should not be helped at all. In fact, one has nothing to do with that other.
    Second, I have absolutely no resources to offer them, I'm sorry to say. But in any case, I wasn't talking about you sending aid (and in general, I am talking about government helping them, not individuals). I was talking about you actually feeling that the refugees don't need help, and shouldn't be helped, for various reasons.
    I must say that I am a bit sick to see those who are "against" the refugees defend their view by trying to accuse those who feel for them of not giving money and time. It is an idiotic attempt to defend an indefensible attitude towards them.
    if we had ever met you would understand that how I feel in my heart for people that need help is much different than the reality of what I am able to do and what history time and time again shows us.
    people have a habit of biting the hand that feeds them and sometimes one would have to think that they are about to be bit again.

Godfather.

Okay. So how did Muslims bite your hand while you fed them so that you don't want Muslim refugees in your community or your country?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Thank you for this. Nice to see that in some places in the world, people actually CARE. I seriously can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on the thread about the refugees. How some people sleep at night is baffling to me. But I guess when you have NO HEART, sleep comes easy.
    how would it be if all shared the same idea or opinion ?.....no fun at all. LOL !

Godfather.

I don't think you're going to have any luck convincing people that supporting not helping people in desperate need and instead criticizing and being paranoid/suspicious about those in need is a valuable contribution to interesting diversity.
    what have you done help these people ? money , time ? or does it make you feel better to say you support them and their struggle, lighten up Francis.

Godfather.

First of all, not specifically helping them isn't the same as specifically thinking they should not be helped at all. In fact, one has nothing to do with that other.
    Second, I have absolutely no resources to offer them, I'm sorry to say. But in any case, I wasn't talking about you sending aid (and in general, I am talking about government helping them, not individuals). I was talking about you actually feeling that the refugees don't need help, and shouldn't be helped, for various reasons.
    I must say that I am a bit sick to see those who are "against" the refugees defend their view by trying to accuse those who feel for them of not giving money and time. It is an idiotic attempt to defend an indefensible attitude towards them.
    if we had ever met you would understand that how I feel in my heart for people that need help is much different than the reality of what I am able to do and what history time and time again shows us.
    people have a habit of biting the hand that feeds them and sometimes one would have to think that they are about to be bit again.

Godfather.

Okay. So how did Muslims bite your hand while you fed them so that you don't want Muslim refugees in your community or your country?
    .....ummm I didn't realize we were talking about muslims in general, you know my feelings on that, are you trying to set up another bigot/racist discussion ?

Godfather.

• Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    edited October 2015
    A small Dutch village (called ' Oranje' (Orange), as if this story was made up) with a few hundred inhabitants will receive 1400 refugees ( or newcomers, so to speak). The inhabitants are not happy with that. They make themselves heard in the most idiotic ways and they use racist arguments (as if all those men are terrorist rapists...). But to portray their resistance as racist frightens me. Because their anger is also about the way that the government has dropped these refugees upon them, about being unclear (and maybe even lying) and about the effects on society, which will have to occur with such an influx (and that would occur as well if you would put 1400 blond bubbly girls in that village).
    The protests of the people of Oranje suck. They suck big time. But the government sucks as well in the way this was played. This burocratic ivory towery hautain way of dealing with this topic frightens the hell out of me. The public support for supporting refugees, which exists in the Netherlands and is vibrant, will be damaged by behaviour like this.
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    Aafke said:

A small Dutch village (called ' Oranje' (Orange), as if this story was made up) with a few hundred inhabitants will receive 1400 refugees ( or newcomers, so to speak). The inhabitants are not happy with that. They make themselves heard in the most idiotic ways and they use racist arguments (as if all those men are terrorist rapists...). But to portray their resistance as racist frightens me. Because their anger is also about the way that the government has dropped these refugees upon them, about being unclear (and maybe even lying) and about the effects on society, which will have to occur with such an influx (and that would occur as well if you would put 1400 blond bubbly girls in that village).
    The protests of the people of Oranje suck. They suck big time. But the government sucks as well in the way this was played. This burocratic ivory towery hautain way of dealing with this topic frightens the hell out of me. The public support for supporting refugees, which exists in the Netherlands and is vibrant, will be damaged by behaviour like this.

a few hundred inhabitants will receive 1400 refugees ????? wtf ! yeah I'd be pissed too ! basically their will be over run with muslims....totally different religious beliefs, different customs...a whole different attitude, these people have every right to be pissed....so as the story will go (as if the story is made up) all the years, traditions and generations of this town will be replaced with "new comers" ...fucked up story in my opinion. there will be blood spilled before the story is over.

Godfather.

• Options
    Freedom

If I look at the dreadful scenes about the refugees and hear the responses from a lot of western citizens, I ask myself why each year we celebrate our freedom, if we are not willing to share this freedom with these people. Or is freedom supposed to be only for the privileged ones?
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Aafke said:

a few hundred inhabitants will receive 1400 refugees ????? wtf ! yeah I'd be pissed too ! basically their will be over run with muslims....totally different religious beliefs, different customs...a whole different attitude, these people have every right to be pissed....so as the story will go (as if the story is made up) all the years, traditions and generations of this town will be replaced with "new comers" ...fucked up story in my opinion. there will be blood spilled before the story is over.

Godfather.

We're not in the USA Godfather, but the tensions are rising for sure...
    In my hometown 3000 refugees have been placed on a site were there is room for about 1000 people. They have been given tents to live in without air circulation and there is no space for some privacy. Without an A-status the refugees aren't allowed to work and under normal circumstances this takes a couple of years to get one. But these aren't normal circumstances... This year we have already taken 20 times the quota from the previous years.
    And have nothing to do all day long, even in normal circumstances this will pretty soon work on someones nerves, but these people have gone through traumatic experiences before the even arrived...
    These people have gone trough an horrific journey to arrive out here, most of them were upper class citizens in there country of origin, have lost a good home, have given up a good job, have left there families and friends, to find asylum, to stay alive.
    While they arrive many people see them as pariahs and threat them this way. I understand that many of them are scared to lose there jobs to these people, or can't get social housing because of the new arrivals....
    Yes, for sure tensions are rising... I can only hope we will get through this without much incidents...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    Aafke said:

Freedom

If I look at the dreadful scenes about the refugees and hear the responses from a lot of western citizens, I ask myself why each year we celebrate our freedom, if we are not willing to share this freedom with these people. Or is freedom supposed to be only for the privileged ones?

Americans fought and died for our independence ...it wasn't free and it still isn't ,men and women of America fight for this country so why should it just be given to people not willing to fight for their own homes and freedom ?

Godfather.

• Options

Aafke said:

Freedom

Americans fought and died for our independence ...it wasn't free and it still isn't ,men and women of America fight for this country so why should it just be given to people not willing to fight for their own homes and freedom ?

Godfather.

I was talking about the situation in the Netherlands, and we didn't fight either for our own freedom (just a couple of people fought in WWII but most of the Dutch, were to much of cowards to fight the German occupants). Canadian, British and American soldiers had set us free! But each year we do celebrate that freedom, why can't we share it?
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options
    Aafke said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

I was talking about the situation in the Netherlands, and we didn't fight either for our own freedom (just a couple of people fought in WWII but most of the Dutch, were to much of cowards to fight the German occupants). Canadian, British and American soldiers had set us free! But each year we do celebrate that freedom, why can't we share it?
    freedom for everyone ! do you mean sending a zillion refugees to America ? we are pretty filled up with illegal citizens and a continuous flow of refugees from Cuba and a few other countries as it is so I think Americans do a pretty good job of sharing as it is, seems like everybody want's freedom or something else from America but not as many are willing to fight for freedom or change in their own countries or willing to adapt to American customs, it's almost like these people flee a country with brutal customs and laws and then try and bring those same messed up law's and custom's with them to America...why do they even leave ?

Godfather.
  • Options

Aafke said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

freedom for everyone ! do you mean sending a zillion refugees to America ? we are pretty filled up with illegal citizens and a continuous flow of refugees from Cuba and a few other countries as it is so I think Americans do a pretty good job of sharing as it is, seems like everybody want's freedom or something else from America but not as many are willing to fight for freedom or change in their own countries or willing to adapt to American customs, it's almost like these people flee a country with brutal customs and laws and then try and bring those same messed up law's and custom's with them to America...why do they even leave ?

Godfather.
    As I said before ( but maybe not clear enough) I was talking about my own country... And if you are forced due to war to flee from your country it is not surprising to me that you bring some of your own customs with you. You can love your country so much but if you starve to death or get bombs dropped on your house or head any second, your country might not be the safest place to stay in, no matter how much you love it.
    Bye the way adaptation is not a one way street, it has to come from both sides. Open your heart to other people and they aren't as scary as they might look like, you might have a lot more in common than you might think you have.
    It was not my intention to suggest that the US has to take in a zillion refugees. But by closing the borders you might miss out on a precious gift they could share with you...
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

.....ummm I didn't realize we were talking about muslims in general, you know my feelings on that, are you trying to set up another bigot/racist discussion ?

Godfather.

No, I just assumed it was the fact that they're Muslims that bothers you. If that's not it, what is it about these refugees that you find so unsavoury so that you don't want them in your community or your country?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    It seems to me it's more a logistical issue than anything else and this ties into assimilation and exceptance.
    Kinda like if you were to put a shitload of water in a place that is flooded,it would create more of a problem and be an unwelcome issue.But take the same water and put it where there is a drought and crops in need and it will be welcomed with open arms.celebrated.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

What about all the people who came after 1783?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rr165892 said:

It seems to me it's more a logistical issue than anything else and this ties into assimilation and exceptance.
    Kinda like if you were to put a shitload of water in a place that is flooded,it would create more of a problem and be an unwelcome issue.But take the same water and put it where there is a drought and crops in need and it will be welcomed with open arms.celebrated.

Sorry, but a country the size of America can take on a shitload of refugees rr and you know it. My how quickly we forget that we were moving 10' of thousands of people because of Katrina to other states like Mississippi and other parts of the south. I get it, these people aren't the people you guys want around, and that's sad. It really fucken amazes me that some people, and I'm not talking about you RR, forget how this so called great country was founded. Bunch of fucken bill "the butcher" here.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I think your missing my point Nart.Im not commenting on the ethnicity or religion of these refugees,nor am I advocating any one solution.
    Yes I agree we as a country and don't forget our territories have ample room to receive those in need.
    My point is much more thought needs to go into WHERE these displaced people end up.The example above was a town in Dutchville of 1k receiving 3x that amount.regardless of the host ethnicity or the refugees,I feel this is a bad fit.And will create more problems then need be.
    Put those same 3k in Cleveland,Miami,Charlotte,Amesterdam,Berlin etc no issue at all.
    If the town recieved 300 people that would be more in line don't you think? Look every major and mid size city in the free world could take in 3-5 thousand people,there would be no issues,no real assimilation issues and real drag on social services.
    Surely you agree?
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,186

Aafke said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

Godfather.
    you are aware that refugees are granted legal status, correct? they are seeking refuge from unrest or persecution, or outright war in their home countries. that is why they are REFUGEES. if we transport them here, they are evacuees. if they come and seek refuge here, they are refugees. if things are so peachy in their own country, why would they need to seek refuge anywhere else?

america is not the greatest country in the world. let's stop deluding ourselves here. but until you take the below message off of the statue of liberty, you have to be willing to accept people who want to seek refuge here.

also, asking people to abandon their customs is not how we started as a country. we are a country if immigrants, and those old world customs still have a place here today.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

I know I've used it before, but it's the only rational response to the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk

Murica
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Aafke said:

Godfather.

Agree it would suck. Do believe they will though assimilate to new countries culture. If not first generation, for sure their children will.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    60 minutes ran a good piece on this yesterday. Brought up some interesting questions about Greece and other countries reluctance to help.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

60 minutes ran a good piece on this yesterday. Brought up some interesting questions about Greece and other countries reluctance to help.

Cool. Got a link?
  • Options
    I saw the promo.Im going to watch on DVR later
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I work for a university press, and one of or authors has requested that all of his annual royalty payments for his book that we published and sell be donated to a fund that's been set up through his Church to sponsor at least one refugee family. I really thought that's cool. And apparently they need to raise about $35,000 for one family (not sure of the size of the family).
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    PJ_Soul said:

I work for a university press, and one of or authors has requested that all of his annual royalty payments for his book that we published and sell be donated to a fund that's been set up through his Church to sponsor at least one refugee family. I really thought that's cool. And apparently they need to raise about $35,000 for one family (not sure of the size of the family).

Nice idea, though how helpful it is in practice depends on the book, of course. One of our friends wrote a textbook in a rather obscure area and showed us one of his royalty statements - a year's royalties brought in less than $10!! :lol:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Nice idea, though how helpful it is in practice depends on the book, of course. One of our friends wrote a textbook in a rather obscure area and showed us one of his royalty statements - a year's royalties brought in less than $10!! :lol:
    It ain't lucrative! But he's not trying to fund it all with just his royalties. And actually he does better than that (we're all proud to say), lol. He should clear at least a couple thousand, so a nice little bit of help. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

you mean the people that created the birth of this great Nation ? and the generations of families who fought and died to create something so great that everybody else wants to live here ? or are we going back to the whites and the Indians thing again ?

Godfather

• Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

you mean the people that created the birth of this great Nation ? and the generations of families who fought and died to create something so great that everybody else wants to live here ? or are we going back to the whites and the Indians thing again ?

Godfather

Huh? You were talking about the people who fought and died for Independence, so you must have been referencing those who fought and died in the Revolutionary War, no? That's what got America her independence, and it ended in 1783..... Also, what about all the generations of families that had nothing to do with fighting and dying? Plenty of dead Americans never fought for anything and died of some long illness. Other Americans fought to rob people of independence (lots of ald American blood lines belonged to the KKK after all). Basically, I'm just trying to point out how silly your attitude about this is in general. But anyway, are you against "going back" to the whites and the Indians thing again? Do you not think that part of American history plays a role in how America's roots grew???? Because it was a pretty fucking big deal.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

Godfather

Huh? You were talking about the people who fought and died for Independence, so you must have been referencing those who fought and died in the Revolutionary War, no? That's what got America her independence, and it ended in 1783..... Also, what about all the generations of families that had nothing to do with fighting and dying? Plenty of dead Americans never fought for anything and died of some long illness. Other Americans fought to rob people of independence (lots of ald American blood lines belonged to the KKK after all). Basically, I'm just trying to point out how silly your attitude about this is in general. But anyway, are you against "going back" to the whites and the Indians thing again? Do you not think that part of American history plays a role in how America's roots grew???? Because it was a pretty fucking big deal.
    your whole comment was based on what you assumed I was implying, I never stated the Revolutionary War but from the Indian wars and the Revolutionary War to current wars men and women fought and died to have what we have today, and my silly attitude ? not anymore silly as giving away our country to people who do not respect us or our laws and customs, if I came to your home I would respect the rules of your home and if I disagreed I'd leave, if I tried to bring my rules into your home how would you react ? (honestly)

Godfather.

• Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

Godfather

your whole comment was based on what you assumed I was implying, I never stated the Revolutionary War but from the Indian wars and the Revolutionary War to current wars men and women fought and died to have what we have today, and my silly attitude ? not anymore silly as giving away our country to people who do not respect us or our laws and customs, if I came to your home I would respect the rules of your home and if I disagreed I'd leave, if I tried to bring my rules into your home how would you react ? (honestly)

Godfather.

That's the silly attitude I was talking about. "Giving away your country"?? Puh-lease. The only way America is being given away is by shipping jobs out of the country and selling natural resources and corporations off to international investors, neither of which has anything to do with immigration.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Aafke said:

Freedom

Godfather.

Godfather

Godfather.

That's the silly attitude I was talking about. "Giving away your country"?? Puh-lease. The only way America is being given away is by shipping jobs out of the country and selling natural resources and corporations off to international investors, neither of which has anything to do with immigration.
    sometimes I can only shake my head........but I do agree that jobs are being shipped out of the country.

Godfather.