Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ldent42 said:

I mean I think if I try really hard I can kind of understand it. For example, a couple weeks ago I was in a Walmart in an area where you'd expect a Walmart. I needed to buy a tarp for tying shit up outside. For some unfathomable reason they were in the hunting section, with the guns and shit. I was scared. I didn't want to ask the gun keeper for help. There was a very frightening looking neckbeard guy looking at arrows. He scared me. And that is an unfair judgement based on my own ignorance of that culture. "Those people" are different to me. I am ignorant of their culture except for the really bad stuff I hear in the media. It's pretty much the same thing for someone living in a homogenous European country like Slovakia. They don't have any experience with or exposure to Muslim people/culture and they hear a bunch of negative shit in the media so that's what they base their opinions on. If you drop me in the middle of Appalachia I'm not gonna assimilate. I'm gonna be scared as hell and I'm gonna wish I was no longer stuck in Appalachia. And then over time as I get exposed to the local culture more I'll get over my bias and learn more about them and realize they're not so bad after all. I'm 99.9% sure that is how integration works. Still not sure why assimilation even has to be a thing in that case. Why can't I be part of the community while retaining my own culture? Why should I have to re-make myself in your image just so I can live in the same place as you? It's dumb.

And no, I'm not proud of my prejudicial reaction to a redneck. It was wrong, I was wrong. The Europeans crying for assimilation are wrong. I feel like Oprah. You're wrong, you're wrong, EVERYBODY is wrong!!! :lol:

Maybe not proud, Ident, but certainly honest about it. I like your thoughts on assimilation too...and I think the positive exposure to cultures goes both ways (whether majority or minority).
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

ldent42 said:

I mean I think if I try really hard I can kind of understand it. For example, a couple weeks ago I was in a Walmart in an area where you'd expect a Walmart. I needed to buy a tarp for tying shit up outside. For some unfathomable reason they were in the hunting section, with the guns and shit. I was scared. I didn't want to ask the gun keeper for help. There was a very frightening looking neckbeard guy looking at arrows. He scared me. And that is an unfair judgement based on my own ignorance of that culture. "Those people" are different to me. I am ignorant of their culture except for the really bad stuff I hear in the media. It's pretty much the same thing for someone living in a homogenous European country like Slovakia. They don't have any experience with or exposure to Muslim people/culture and they hear a bunch of negative shit in the media so that's what they base their opinions on. If you drop me in the middle of Appalachia I'm not gonna assimilate. I'm gonna be scared as hell and I'm gonna wish I was no longer stuck in Appalachia. And then over time as I get exposed to the local culture more I'll get over my bias and learn more about them and realize they're not so bad after all. I'm 99.9% sure that is how integration works. Still not sure why assimilation even has to be a thing in that case. Why can't I be part of the community while retaining my own culture? Why should I have to re-make myself in your image just so I can live in the same place as you? It's dumb.

And no, I'm not proud of my prejudicial reaction to a redneck. It was wrong, I was wrong. The Europeans crying for assimilation are wrong. I feel like Oprah. You're wrong, you're wrong, EVERYBODY is wrong!!! :lol:

Maybe not proud, Ident, but certainly honest about it. I like your thoughts on assimilation too...and I think the positive exposure to cultures goes both ways (whether majority or minority).
    Thank you, Hedo. I agree, positive exposure is a two way street.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I am not sure if this has been brought up but, why not fight for your life. Why not stand up for your family. I do not get that. If people were threatening my way of life I know I would be willing to do for my family, friends and neighbors.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

I am not sure if this has been brought up but, why not fight for your life. Why not stand up for your family. I do not get that. If people were threatening my way of life I know I would be willing to do for my family, friends and neighbors.

Have you seen the destruction that these refugees are escaping? Their own government is randomly dropping barrel bombs on them. How does one stand up to that? This has been going on for years. I can only imagine what they are going through. Their homes are gone....jobs gone. Google Syria before and after...the destruction in unimaginable. Check out some of Vice's excellent documentaries.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    what did the pope say about this???
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

"Our world is facing a refugee crisis of a magnitude not seen since the Second World War. This presents us with great challenges and many hard decisions. On this continent, too, thousands of persons are led to travel north in search of a better life for themselves and for their loved ones, in search of greater opportunities. Is this not what we want for our own children? We must not be taken aback by their numbers, but rather view them as persons, seeing their faces and listening to their stories, trying to respond as best we can to their situation. To respond in a way which is always humane, just and fraternal. We need to avoid a common temptation nowadays: to discard whatever proves troublesome. Let us remember the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

-Pope

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    dignin said:

"Our world is facing a refugee crisis of a magnitude not seen since the Second World War. This presents us with great challenges and many hard decisions. On this continent, too, thousands of persons are led to travel north in search of a better life for themselves and for their loved ones, in search of greater opportunities. Is this not what we want for our own children? We must not be taken aback by their numbers, but rather view them as persons, seeing their faces and listening to their stories, trying to respond as best we can to their situation. To respond in a way which is always humane, just and fraternal. We need to avoid a common temptation nowadays: to discard whatever proves troublesome. Let us remember the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

-Pope

"View them as persons".

That's what it all comes down to.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

dignin said:

-Pope

"View them as persons".

Speaking in tongues again this pope guy.
    Of course we are all people.
    View them as persons?
    Fuck off you holy roller. (the pope)

edit -thank god/pope for the edit button
    This after editing? Sweet!

Not sure how what was quoted is in tongues.

My parents came here through vastly different roads, and thank fucking god they were viewed as persons. Sometimes people need to be reminded of this, as sometimes people can be sick sick fucks.

It's surprising to me that this could be surprising to others.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    Yeah, I get that. Religion isn't necessarily needed as a reminder but when it enters the circle in a non-negative way, I don't see why it would be blindly rejected (any more than it'd be blindly accepted).

Anyway, it's played a part in my life. If not now, then back then.

• Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

hedonist said:

Religion isn't necessarily needed as a reminder but when it enters the circle in a non-negative way, I don't see why it would be blindly rejected (any more than it'd be blindly accepted).

I guess it's because I don't need a religious compass to adhere to the things they consider wrong to do. (commandments etc)
    I am not religious (not sure if you know this or not), and I would never dream of doing the "sins" that (insert religion here) do.
    How did I turn out to be a non-believer and follow the commandments anyways?
    Yea bro we get it. You don't like religion. But you agree with the statement the man made right? You can argue with me about the last line, but there's no scripture in there. So calm down. This guy is appealing to most people's moral compass/general humanity in that statement. If you agree with what he is saying then you shouldn't be telling him to fuck off unless you're just trolling.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I am no friend of religion, I would go so far as to say it creeps me out. However, there is nothing in his statement I can disagree with, so I will not condemn the Pope or scorn him merely because he is a figurehead of an institute I would rather didn't exist. There is no sense to opposing something merely for the sake of opposing it, when they do or say something positive they should be praised just like anyone else. Always encourage any force for good....
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

I understand the humanitarian aspect of this. I just don't think its a good idea to throw a lot of people into this country that don't know the langauge or the culture and expect there not to have major issues. What happens if the majority don't feel the need to work? If they hear that the American government will pay their way through life with welfare?

I'd be more supportive of sending money to the countries in Europe that are willing go take these people in. It is a hell of a lot more convenient for the nearby countries to do this. It doesn't make sense to ship people 4,000 miles away when there are countries a lot closer that can.

I didn't claim they were threatening my way of life. I said I don't think it's cost effective to bring them here.
    You're right. You just implied that they would be welfare sucks. When all evidence proves otherwise.
    What evidence?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-portes/economic-europe-refugees_b_8128288.html

Lot's of links in the article posted.
    well it's on the internet it must be true.....I still call bullshit.

Godfather.

Haha, that's all you got? You know we are all on the internet right? That's some weak shit right there. Why even pretend you read anything that was posted?

It's no surprise that you wouldn't believe a conclusion based in science. You know how ignorant that sounds right?
    hay now ! you know I read FAXNEWS ! and it's on the internet LOL !!!!!
    but on a serious note I really have a hard time believing that all those refugees will boost anybody's economy unless you consider crime an economy booster....and don't tell me they is no crime associated with these immigrant, don't make me copy and past FAXNEWS stories LOL !!!!.

Godfather.

Ya because Muslims are the ONLY criminals in the world. Not your fucked up buddy GWB or his partner in crime tricky dicky who lied to the world and nearly bankrupted the entire country all while making their buddies super rich. Oh and let's not forget that these same refugees are running from a country that somehow has been torn apart by the same fucken people you admire. What a sick world we live in. One things for sure. Gf's prgramming is firing on all cylinders.
    well, you said it not me......how's life treating you lately ? you seem so angry all the time, may I recommend vitamin B complex ? helps with stress related issues. hope all is well.

Godfather.

Odd, I haven't been really on in sometime. But I'm good thanks. How about you? You ok? You seem very confused for sometime now. May I suggest turning faux tv OFF. Maybe go outside in the real world. Meet a Muslim, shake his hand, share a drink or smoke (you do live in so cal). Might actually help you like yourself on the inside. Fear is no way to live. Just trying to help out.
    I would shake your hand and share a ....vape, I quit cigarettes.
    but quite honestly my friend I do like my self inside and I also like learning about people (just people in general) and I can't think of too many people that I fear, I usually treat people like I would like to be treated and so far it's been a thumbs up life.

Godfather.

• Options

+1

Godfather.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

dignin said:

-Pope

"View them as persons".

Speaking in tongues again this pope guy.
    Of course we are all people.
    View them as persons?
    Fuck off you holy roller. (the pope)

edit -thank god/pope for the edit button
    Not falling for the love fest huh?

Yeah get that. HD is though giving the right message that counters many religious views.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565

I am no friend of religion, I would go so far as to say it creeps me out. However, there is nothing in his statement I can disagree with, so I will not condemn the Pope or scorn him merely because he is a figurehead of an institute I would rather didn't exist. There is no sense to opposing something merely for the sake of opposing it, when they do or say something positive they should be praised just like anyone else. Always encourage any force for good....

I agree. If we have to label it, I'd have to call myself an enemy of the Pope and the Catholic Church, and very frustrated about the efficacy of this new PR campaign they are both waging, fooling millions and distracting them so they overlook all the same old Catholic hypocritical bullshit. But when he says something good, he says something good. I'm not going to criticize a good point just because it comes from someone or something I don't generally support.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqvYhb3wf4
  • Options
    when I get home I'll watch it.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    John Oliver destroyed Faux News with that one....once again.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    dignin said:
    I truly am curious to see what GF has to say about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168

^^^
    Everyone is a human being.
    Religion does not need to remind us of that.

something needs to, because too many of us seem to forget that basic fact.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    o.k so I listened to it.....what ? do I seem to be the guy with the key to the boarder gate's ? don't come after me because I disagree with a mass crossing of immigrants, if you think I am heartless
    then that's on you, my friends that know me know I would help anybody I could but what will happen to that country when they all have left ? who is running that country ? why are they leaving ? maybe the bigger issue should be looked at and dealt with instead of putting a band-aid on the problem pretending that accepting these people will cure the real problem.

Godfather.
  • Options

o.k so I listened to it.....what ? do I seem to be the guy with the key to the boarder gate's ? don't come after me because I disagree with a mass crossing of immigrants, if you think I am heartless
    then that's on you, my friends that know me know I would help anybody I could but what will happen to that country when they all have left ? who is running that country ? why are they leaving ? maybe the bigger issue should be looked at and dealt with instead of putting a band-aid on the problem pretending that accepting these people will cure the real problem.

Godfather.

Cognitive dissonance right here ladies and gentlemen.

Also, aren't you a little concerned with what FOX news is feeding you?
  • Options
    no more than you and your source's, it's all the same info with a different presentation so if you don't like the delivery change the channel right ?

I've seen these refugees on various channels marching and at one point stealing from people trying to help them or even throwing rocks at busses and cars, they have been filmed using cell phones most are wearing decent clothing then I've seen refugees on other news sources from other third world countries near naked and so thin and malnourished the ones that haven't died look near death and non of them had cell phones, where's your bleeding heart for them ? you can go into any big city and find a homeless population and homeless who have died of exposer or hunger so like I said maybe it's time to look at the cause and motive and stop watching propaganda television like the one posted earlier...and you guy's thought FOX was bad....it's all the same crap just flavored differently.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Oliver uses a hypothetical upside and selective stories to argue against a hypothetical downside and selective stories. That's just good science.

At least we stabilized the region and pulled our troops out to make good on a campaign promise.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Oliver uses a hypothetical upside and selective stories to argue against a hypothetical downside and selective stories. That's just good science.

At least we stabilized the region and pulled our troops out to make good on a campaign promise.

So you are for few billions of tax dollars and thousand American lives and several thousand injured to stabilize?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Blows my mind fox gets away with the blatant propaganda. Used a clip from 2010 and presented it as current to raise fear. Why do we as a society allow this to happen. Hell when I watched clip assumed it was the immigrants on way to new home countries. But no.