Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Have you read all 44 pages of that report?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Have you read all 44 pages of that report?

Nope, just the summary. Ain't got time for that.
  • Options

dignin said:

Not that it matters, but where are all of these refugees coming from that are in Cleveland? Are they all syrian? How is that even calculated?

Check page 20 of the paper I cited. It has a breakdown.

Refugees settled in the Cleveland area have come from all corners of the world. Of the total refugees settled, the largest group (1,973 refugees) came from Asian countries. In number of refugees by country, the Asian nations of Bhutan ranked the first and Burma ranked third. The next largest group (1,433 refugees) came from Europe, primarily from former communist countries such as Ukraine, Russia, and Bosnia & Herzegovina. African countries contributed 1,101 refugees to the Cleveland area over this period, from counties including Somalia, Sudan, and Burundi.
    So you're talking about roughly 5000 people total? How many syrian refugees do you want to put in Cleveland at once? How does a city get picked if the US decides to transport the Syrians here?
    Last time I checked there are a lot of cities in the states.....and a lot of small communities too. What's your population now? Over 300 million right? I'm sure you could absorb a few 100 thousand into your borg melting pot. And your economy would be better for it.

You asked for evidence, I gave it to you. Can you show me the evidence to back up your claim that they could be welfare leaches?

• Options

I understand the humanitarian aspect of this. I just don't think its a good idea to throw a lot of people into this country that don't know the langauge or the culture and expect there not to have major issues. What happens if the majority don't feel the need to work? If they hear that the American government will pay their way through life with welfare?

I'd be more supportive of sending money to the countries in Europe that are willing go take these people in. It is a hell of a lot more convenient for the nearby countries to do this. It doesn't make sense to ship people 4,000 miles away when there are countries a lot closer that can.

In my defense, where was it that I called them welfare leeches? Was it this post?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

I understand the humanitarian aspect of this. I just don't think its a good idea to throw a lot of people into this country that don't know the langauge or the culture and expect there not to have major issues. What happens if the majority don't feel the need to work? If they hear that the American government will pay their way through life with welfare?

I'd be more supportive of sending money to the countries in Europe that are willing go take these people in. It is a hell of a lot more convenient for the nearby countries to do this. It doesn't make sense to ship people 4,000 miles away when there are countries a lot closer that can.

I didn't claim they were threatening my way of life. I said I don't think it's cost effective to bring them here.
    You're right. You just implied that they would be welfare sucks. When all evidence proves otherwise.
    What evidence?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-portes/economic-europe-refugees_b_8128288.html

Lot's of links in the article posted.
    well it's on the internet it must be true.....I still call bullshit.

Godfather.

• Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

I didn't claim they were threatening my way of life. I said I don't think it's cost effective to bring them here.
    You're right. You just implied that they would be welfare sucks. When all evidence proves otherwise.
    What evidence?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-portes/economic-europe-refugees_b_8128288.html

Godfather.

Haha, that's all you got? You know we are all on the internet right? That's some weak shit right there. Why even pretend you read anything that was posted?

It's no surprise that you wouldn't believe a conclusion based in science. You know how ignorant that sounds right?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

In my defense, where was it that I called them welfare leeches? Was it this post?
    What happens if the majority don't feel the need to work? If they hear that the American government will pay their way through life with welfare?

I think the inference is pretty clear. But if I'm wrong I apologize.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

What evidence?

Godfather.

Haha, that's all you got? You know we are all on the internet right? That's some weak shit right there. Why even pretend you read anything that was posted?

It's no surprise that you wouldn't believe a conclusion based in science. You know how ignorant that sounds right?
    hay now ! you know I read FAXNEWS ! and it's on the internet LOL !!!!!
    but on a serious note I really have a hard time believing that all those refugees will boost anybody's economy unless you consider crime an economy booster....and don't tell me they is no crime associated with these immigrant, don't make me copy and past FAXNEWS stories LOL !!!!.

Godfather.

• Options
    dignin said:

What happens if the majority don't feel the need to work? If they hear that the American government will pay their way through life with welfare?

I think the inference is pretty clear. But if I'm wrong I apologize.
    I'm not claiming they are leeches. I'm saying our government can easily turn them into leeches. Big difference.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited September 2015

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

What evidence?

Godfather.

but on a serious note I really have a hard time believing that all those refugees will boost anybody's economy unless you consider crime an economy booster....and don't tell me they is no crime associated with these immigrant, don't make me copy and past FAXNEWS stories LOL !!!!.

Godfather.

Ya because Muslims are the ONLY criminals in the world. Not your fucked up buddy GWB or his partner in crime tricky dicky who lied to the world and nearly bankrupted the entire country all while making their buddies super rich. Oh and let's not forget that these same refugees are running from a country that somehow has been torn apart by the same fucken people you admire. What a sick world we live in. One things for sure. Gf's prgramming is firing on all cylinders.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

What evidence?

Godfather.

Godfather.

Ya because Muslims are the ONLY criminals in the world. Not your fucked up buddy GWB or his partner in crime tricky dicky who lied to the world and nearly bankrupted the entire country all while making their buddies super rich. Oh and let's not forget that these same refugees are running from a country that somehow has been torn apart by the same fucken people you admire. What a sick world we live in. One things for sure. Gf's prgramming is firing on all cylinders.
    well, you said it not me......how's life treating you lately ? you seem so angry all the time, may I recommend vitamin B complex ? helps with stress related issues. hope all is well.

Godfather.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

What evidence?

Godfather.

Godfather.

well, you said it not me......how's life treating you lately ? you seem so angry all the time, may I recommend vitamin B complex ? helps with stress related issues. hope all is well.

Godfather.

Odd, I haven't been really on in sometime. But I'm good thanks. How about you? You ok? You seem very confused for sometime now. May I suggest turning faux tv OFF. Maybe go outside in the real world. Meet a Muslim, shake his hand, share a drink or smoke (you do live in so cal). Might actually help you like yourself on the inside. Fear is no way to live. Just trying to help out.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited September 2015
    dignin said:

No shit (though we do have to remember that the Natives fought it to the death in some cases, and the ones who didn't got fucked.... that isn't meant as any kind of personal statement on my part... but it's something to keep in mind when using the Natives as a way to argue the point).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

What evidence?

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Odd, I haven't been really on in sometime. But I'm good thanks. How about you? You ok? You seem very confused for sometime now. May I suggest turning faux tv OFF. Maybe go outside in the real world. Meet a Muslim, shake his hand, share a drink or smoke (you do live in so cal). Might actually help you like yourself on the inside. Fear is no way to live. Just trying to help out.
    I'm still trying to win the lottery and host you guys in my town for a Tool/Pearl Jam event.

Don't forget you two are sharing a hotel room on my tab once this happens.

Just remember... GF gets the bed by the nightstand that has the bible in it!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JogillJogill Posts: 4,549
    This is my first look into this discussion. I think everyone needs to imagine it is themselves who is one of these refugees. Would you still all feel like these posts suggest??

Forget about being a Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, or any other religion, we are all HUMAN I hope.

If we were invaded by an alien life form tomorrow would you all still feel this way? Man as a species needs to be as one, not fractured like we all are right now.

All this bad feeling makes you wish we all could be united as a planet against SOMETHING!
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • Options
    Jogill said:

This is my first look into this discussion. I think everyone needs to imagine it is themselves who is one of these refugees. Would you still all feel like these posts suggest??

Forget about being a Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, or any other religion, we are all HUMAN I hope.

If we were invaded by an alien life form tomorrow would you all still feel this way? Man as a species needs to be as one, not fractured like we all are right now.

All this bad feeling makes you wish we all could be united as a planet against SOMETHING!

That's a very optimistic outlook. It's like President Obama asking Bashar al Assad to the white house for a sleep over.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

Jogill said:

That's a very optimistic outlook. It's like President Obama asking Bashar al Assad to the white house for a sleep over.
    Some of us just can't help being idealists :)
  • Options
    Jogill said:

I think everyone needs to imagine it is themselves who is one of these refugees. Would you still all feel like these posts suggest??

I would hope that one day if I was a refugee I would be treated humanely.
    I would also hope that one day there is no religion then there would be no more refugees to worry about.
  • Options

Jogill said:

I think everyone needs to imagine it is themselves who is one of these refugees. Would you still all feel like these posts suggest??

I would also hope that one day there is no religion then there would be no more refugees to worry about.
    I'm afraid the end of religion will not mean the end of war. Unfathomable as it is, man will continue to find reason to wage war
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    hmmmmmm..........thinking!!
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Jogill said:

I'm afraid the end of religion will not mean the end of war. Unfathomable as it is, man will continue to find reason to wage war
    Maybe.
    But for now we can take away the biggest reason.
    Would be pretty hard to find another reason for war after religion is gone though.
    Can you name one?
    The only reason that has caused more wars and deaths than religion:
    Greed.
    Greed for money and power.
    Here in America we didn't go to war in Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, or Mexico for religion, it was for money and power. We didn't have a Civil War over religion, it was for money and power.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Jogill said:

Maybe.
    Would be pretty hard to find another reason for war after religion is gone though.
    Can you name one?
    The only reason that has caused more wars and deaths than religion:
    Greed.
    Greed for money and power.
    Here in America we didn't go to war in Iraq, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, or Mexico for religion, it was for money and power. We didn't have a Civil War over religion, it was for money and power.
    Sadly true
  • Options
    I'm with that sentiment.
  • Options
    What's funny is the Indians welcomes us with open arms and we slaughtered them and took everything they owned. So why should we be so accepting of third world immigrants into our home land? Please answer that for me.
  • Options

What's funny is the Indians welcomes us with open arms and we slaughtered them and took everything they owned. So why should we be so accepting of third world immigrants into our home land? Please answer that for me.

To atone for your aforementioned crimes perhaps? I only say that since you brought it up though...
  • Options
    The Indians were a LONG time ago and they had no idea who white people were. Do you really think they would be like that today? We all unfortunately are well versed about everything and everyone today via tv, the net etc etc or should I say misinformed often.
  • Options
    Jogill said:

The Indians were a LONG time ago and they had no idea who white people were. Do you really think they would be like that today? We all unfortunately are well versed about everything and everyone today via tv, the net etc etc or should I say misinformed often.

Indeed, to our detriment perhaps as we think we know enough to judge people we don't even know based on fears and media-engendered stereotypes
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Jogill said:

Maybe.
    Can you name one?
    Agree religion makes war easier. Stamp it out and feel it would be harder for leaders to get sacrificial humans to give their lives. Though acknowledge nationalism and race will be available.

Telling how republican field invokes Muslims in their campaigns and seems atheists are liberal peace lovers.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

This isn't entirely true. Initially, the native population were intrigued by the Europeans. Once the scope of the settlement/invasion was established... resistance was exercised.

The early settlers out west can attest to the extreme level of violence the Indians were capable of.

* I'm only tempering this statement. I'm well aware of the European treatment of the native population and the current American treatment of the native population.
    "My brain's a good brain!"