Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Hasn't there been an increase in female suicide bombers recently though?

Holy Christ I never thought of this.

Fak.
    My sarcasm detector is broken
    Mine must be too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I think it's a very good idea to prioritize women and children, I think it's strange to see men coming alone, and leaving their family behind which I've heard happens.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,023
    The be

ldent42 said:

Fak.
    The belgian party girl? Now believed that was a male next to her or near her.

Oh how I long for first to be accurate reporting.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2015
    I would really like some people to answer this question for me. It has to deal with motive. Many times in court cases, even when the murder weapon is found, the prosecution needs to find motive or it casts a doubt among the jurors. So what I'm asking here is what is the motive for a Syrian ISIS member to pose as a refugee to get into the United States? Not Europe, just the United States.
    Why? Being that-

1- It will be a 2 year vetting process where you are first screened by the UN before the US gets to work and several government security agencies become involved. As a Syrian, the process is even harder than for other refugees. That's 2 years of background checks, document verification, interviews, etc. 2 years.

2- Why become a refugee when you could obtain a fake passport, get into Europe and take a plane to New York and just walk out of the airport if you get by immigration? The process of getting by immigration in JFK with a fake passport is a hundred times easier than the Syrian refugee process. And it will only take a few days.

3-Likewise, you could obtain a fake European passport and apply for a visa waiver which normally takes 24 hours. Again, easier than becoming a refugee. If it gets rejected no harm, you thank them for their time, and you're free to go.

3- Why not get into South America and make your way up through Mexico? In Mexico you pay a Coyotaje who sneaks you over the border and you're free to go about your terrorist business. Again, it will take you a few weeks compared to 2 years and will be a lot easier.

4- If you're young male, aged 16-30, on your own, there is almost no chance of you getting in through the refugee process even if you are just a victim of war so why attempt it as an ISIS member? Why not just pay off some worker on an oil liner to hide you amongst the cargo that comes into Newark. Again, it sounds crazy but it would be so much easier than the Syrian refugee process.

I could go on and on with scenarios but what I'm really looking for here is motive. Why do it when there are so many easier ways and you are not left wondering when they will discover you over the course of 2 years? So again I ask, what is the motive? If your goal is to get into the US as a terrorist why choose the most difficult, possibly impossible method?
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

The be

ldent42 said:

Fak.

I'm pretty sure we are both joking with no degree of seriousness at all.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

The be

ldent42 said:

Fak.

Ok but that doesnt mean that very thought isnt an additional excuse for some
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

The be

ldent42 said:

Fak.

Ok but that doesnt mean that very thought isnt an additional excuse for some
    Oh for the most diligent bigot... it likely is for sure.
  • Options

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    mickeyrat said:
    People will refuse to believe it.

• Options
    eddiec said:

mickeyrat said:
    People will refuse to believe it.

Willful ignorance cannot be countered.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    John Oliver nails it again. Glad he's filled the Jon Stewart void.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    It's great that you have such good security in your country.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dignin said:

What episode? And yes he's filling in well. Wish he got the job though.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    callen said:

dignin said:

Yeah... how often is he even on? My PVR is only picking up one a week. Is that right?? Or is there something wrong with the PVR schedule?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callen said:

dignin said:

The latest. Episode 35. Mickeyrat has a link to the clip above.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

dignin said:

Yeah... how often is he even on? My PVR is only picking up one a week. Is that right?? Or is there something wrong with the PVR schedule?
    Every Sunday night. Unless holidays.
  • Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

dignin said:

Well in that case, yeah, he should have been chosen for the daily show, simply because I would like to see him more often.... though I like Oliver's formula way better. He goes way deeper into individual issues than the Daily Show ever did, and I wouldn't want to see that change. It's the reason I like John Oliver's show so much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

dignin said:

Done til next year.

• Options
    Alleviates the problem somewhat , I wonder if the overflow Europe is or has experienced will mean that many will be sent back to Turkey instead?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/eu-seeks-deal-turkey-curb-refugee-crisis-151129152134803.html

The European Union has struck a deal with Turkey in Brussels that aims to limit the flow of refugees into the continent.

Leaders from 28 EU members states met with Turkish Prime Minister Ahmed Davutoglu on Sunday, finalising an agreement that offered Ankara $3.2bn, along with closer ties with the EU, in return for handling the refugees from war-torn countries on its territory.

"Our agreement sets out the clear plans for the timely reestablishment of all our shared frontier," said Donald Tusk, the European Council president, after the meeting.

"We will also step up our assistance to Syrian refugees in Turkey through a new refugee facility of 3bn euros."

Tusk also said Turkey's accession process to the EU bloc would be "re-energised".

"But let me stress that we are not rewritting our enlargement policy. The negotiating framework and conclusions remain to apply, including its merit-based nature and the respect for the European values and also on human rights," he said.

"This is a historic day," Davutoglu said after the talks, thanking the leaders for the "fruitful meeting".

He added: "This 3bn euros are not given to Turkey. It's given to Syrian refugees."

Turkey is the major transit point for refugees trying to enter Europe, which are expected to reach 1.5m people this year alone.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said ahead of the meeting that the EU deal with Turkey would help put the flow of refugees in a legal framework, instead of the current uncontrollable influx.

"Turkey is hosting well over two million refugees and has received little international support so Turkey has a right to expect the European Union and its member states to help with mastering this task," said Merkel.

"This means that refugees will have better living conditions such as the right to work and the European Union's financial support for schooling."

RELATED: The EU's stinking refugee deal with Turkey

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel had expressed caution ahead of the meeting.

"I have no intention of agreeing to a blank cheque for Turkey," Michel said.

"Belgium believes Turkey must take its responsibility towards a strategic partnership which is balanced, like border control for example, not just with Europe but also with Syria for example.

"I am expecting clear assurances from Turkey."

The EU will open in December the next chapter of negotiations with Turkey in its accession talks to the EU, which have been dragging on since 2005, and prepare further chapters for discussion in the first three months of next year.

Ahead of the meeting, Federica Mogherini, the EU foreign policy chief, said Turkey had to show progress "in basic fundamentals like human rights, media freedom" and "restart the peace process with the Kurdish".

"From today onwards, we will also, I will personally, work on a high-level dialogue with Turkey comprising all the different and sometimes difficult issues we have on the table with them - all of them, none exclusions," she said.

article continues.....

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
  • Options
    Something to consider in this debate.....

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/06/458654757/in-refugee-resettlement-debate-former-soldier-wants-to-put-translators-first?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202706

When U.S. soldiers and Marines returned from Iraq and Afghanistan, many left behind local translators who they'd worked closely with. These people often became the target of reprisals and death threats, forcing them to flee their own country.

For the past few months, Aaron Fleming, a former Marine sergeant, has been trying to help his former translator, Sami Khazikani, make it to the U.S. after he had to leave Afghanistan. Khazikani's now stuck in limbo in Germany waiting to hear if he'll be given asylum in Europe, get a visa to the U.S., or be sent back to Afghanistan.

"I certainly looked at Sami not only as a key element to our success, operationally speaking, but as a very dear friend," Fleming says, "and whether or not he ever earned the title of Marine, in my mind, he certainly did with us on the battlefield."

Khazikani says he knew at the time that he was signing up for a risky job.

"I wanted to help my country as well as help with the coalition forces because I could speak English," he says. "I knew the consequences but I [didn't] care about it really. But now I only live for my wife and for my child."

It was risky not only because he was working with the U.S. military in a war, but it was also because he might be seen as a traitor by some in his own community. That's exactly what happened and he and his wife were forced to flee, first to Turkey and then to Greece. That's when he got in touch with his old friend.

On how Khazikani eventually left Afghanistan

Most of our interpreters over there, himself included, try to keep their employment history with the coalition forces a secret, you know, for personal safety reasons. And Sami had taken some leave to go home and check up with his fiancé and attend a wedding. At the wedding, a fellow Afghani army soldier, one who had actually been in the unit that we were attached to, recognized Sami, he was also a guest in attendance. He made it no secret exactly who Sami was and what his role was with the coalition forces, which you know, caused quite a bit of an issue up there with his fiancé's family.

His fiancé's family had contacted the village elders to determine what should we do with the situation here. As it turned out, the village elders were closely tied in with the Taliban in that region, so they brought it up to the Taliban.

So they came up with the solution to it which was if they could find Sami they were going to execute him. So he and — Yasmiin, then his fiancé, now his wife – got married in secret at a relative's house and the very next day fled Afghanistan to Turkey ... After about a year of living in Turkey, the Turkish government sent their immigration consulate by and essentially said to all the refugees there, Turkish government cannot support the burden on the economy of hosting you anymore so you need to go, but we're going to put you on a boat to Greece.

On whether the U.S. government owes Khazikani anything

I believe they do. I believe that Sami served the U.S. government faithfully and honorably and very proficiently. And I really genuinely believe that it's time our U.S. government pays Sami back for the time that Sami has served working for us.

To me this is not an immigration problem. This is a refugee problem. And the interpreters who are hired to work for coalition forces go through a very thorough vetting process to ensure continuity in their veracity. And a lot of the background work with these guys has already been completed, it's already done.

If anything, we should not be discussing necessarily the topic about how many Syrian refugees are we going to be taking in, we should be taking a look at those interpreters who are now on refugee status, who have served our government honorably. We should be taking a look at them ahead of anybody else.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,355
    The situation is out of control
    All this time
    4.000 arrive in spain
    100.000 at italy
    And almost 1.000.0000 in my country
    And remember all Greeks we are 10 millions
    And 35% of that lives below the limit of poverty...go figure how frikkin difficult is to deal with this wave of refugues
    And dont forget..someone can enter here and claim he is from syria and his name is that and same time he can be from avganistan and he is not refugues..impossible to check every person if telling the truth..its madness
    And we have to do all dirty work for all europe cos if we dont..they can stop segen deal and all those people not allowed to move in europe and all stay in greece..a country has 30% people with no jobs...
    What a wonderful world!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Yeah Dimi it sucks. Greece should be helped financially.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Yes, agreed. That is really terrible for Greece, especially now, during an ongoing financial crisis. The rest of the world really needs to come together to help this situation and to relocate those million people. Too bad America and certain European countries are instead engaging in hate speech.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    is there any money given to the US in times of need by other countries ? serious question, I've never heard of any....maybe Japan ?

Godfather.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962

is there any money given to the US in times of need by other countries ? serious question, I've never heard of any....maybe Japan ?

Godfather.

Dude I thought the same exact thing!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

Godfather.

When could the US not afford something themselves if they wanted to? If you feel the US or American citizens have been in need, it's because your own government don't deem it necessary to help with money that it has. They spent it on the military instead.
    However, FYI, I know that Canadians have sent TONS of aid during American disasters, both in the form of civilian donations and social services such as search and rescue crews. Not to mention putting up tens of thousands of you when they were stuck in Canada after 9/11.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I googled "foreign aid to the US".
    This was the 5th link.
    http://listverse.com/2015/01/14/10-surprising-stories-of-the-united-states-receiving-foreign-aid/

I know we got a lot of help during the big natural disasters like Sandy and Katrina. I think it's harder to really see because we hear about the US sending foreign aid as it's generally considered good publicity. The thing is organizations like the Red Cross get donations from all over the world, so it's harder to really quantify incoming aid in all it's formats than it is outgoing aid.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Godfather.

When could the US not afford something themselves if they wanted to? If you feel the US or American citizens have been in need, it's because your own government don't deem it necessary to help with money that it has. They spent it on the military instead.
    However, FYI, I know that Canadians have sent TONS of aid during American disasters, both in the form of civilian donations and social services such as search and rescue crews. Not to mention putting up tens of thousands of you when they were stuck in Canada after 9/11.
    I d love for you to compare the aid we send internationally against what Canada sends.
    And i don't want to get into a pissing contest because I m totally in love with everything Canada and thank everything they have done for us but damn pjsoul your post was so damn pompous.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......