3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Who the fuck is the Fresh Beat Band?!
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    KG179574 wrote:
    Who the fuck is the Fresh Beat Band?!

heck.. who the fuck is pearl jam?? 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • KG179574 wrote:

heck.. who the fuck is pearl jam?? 8-)

Who the fuck am I??
    6/03/06 Continental Airlines II East Rutherford, NJ
    6/25/08 MSG II New York, NY
    9/02/2012 Made in America Philly, PA
    10/21/13 Wells Fargo Center I GA Philly, PA
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center II GA Philly, PA
  • I have a 2 year old... He is hard to control in public but I manage. That said... I cannot imagine being able to enjoy myself at a show with him in tow... Even in a year or 5 or 10...

This... I didn't bring my kid to show until I was sure I could enjoy the show without worrying about him... 13 was about right...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    poor kid. ear's probably fell off.
    www.myspace.com
  • DoggystylenDoggystylen Posts: 164
    edited October 2013
    !
    Post edited by Doggystylen on
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    He has seen Dylan and the Black Keys and had a blast! Worried he won't make the length of a Pearl Jam show. I've got ear protection....Any other advice from parents?

what a fucking idiot, first let me address the fact that your 3 year old only likes the band because you do, up until a child is at least 7-8 years old they do EVERYTHING for their parents attention/love. What can your child possibly gain from going to a show like this? so his dad can tell his buddies he thinks he has a cool son? Its great that your encouraging your childs chance to discover music at a young age, but is it the right place for your child to be leaving the concert smelling like weed or cigarette smoke. My guess is you are are smoker as well, and probably smoke in the car with your child. LOL

fucking idiot

Wow, just wow. The comfort with which people post WRONG things as FACT is astounding sometimes. You're going to call this guy a "fucking idiot" twice, and then go on to make up shit about kids doing EVERYTHING for parents' love as if you know a thing about child development? The fact that you would say this shows that you do NOT know what you're talking about, and that you say it while calling people names is icing on a messed up cake.

To basically say that children do not have preferences and that everything they do until they're age 7 is just to get love from their parents is outrageously ignorant. Children are mostly doing 2 things as they go from infants to tweens: trying to get their basic needs met (which definitely include love but also include food, sleep, and comfort) and figure out how the world works. You want to make guesses about whether OP smokes or not? I'm going to guess that yo udon't have kids, or if you do you somehow missed infancy through 7, because if you had spent real time with kids in that range you'd know that they not only CAN have likes, loves, dislikes and strong dislikes, they can also express them in a VARIETY of ways. As discussed earlier in this thread, it's also true that they mimic parents all the time and may show love for what parents love as a way to connect and a way to get approval.

But they ALSO can have serious, inexplicable differences from their parents preferences because, oh, that's right, they're HUMAN and they're INDIVIDUALS. The mom who was a tomboy when she was a girl and hates all things pink can have the most pink,princess-loving girlie girl in the world. She may actually frustrate the heck out of that mom, but she's just being who she is. And let's see... oh, right, kids can start expressing these things as young as TWO YEARS OLD. Ever try to get a kid to eat brussel sprouts, green beans or something else healthy that that particular kid hates? If kids did everything for their parents love, a zillion more kids would eat their fruit and veggies over wanting pizza and ice cream. The parents who love soccer may have a boy who hates soccer and would rather play with his trucks or draw any day over playing soccer. Kids have personalities and preferences and they can and DO express them. Often loudly and repeatedly!

You do not have to have a degree to know a ton about kids. You don't even have to have been a parent to know a ton about kids. But you really should have a clue about what you're talking about (however you got that clue) before you go spouting off about crap as if it's fact when you are wrong about it. And then calling people "fucking idiot"... wow, incredible.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I agree with the above.

If you dont want to expose your kid to loud music and smoke/weed, thats totally acceptable.

But the other argument is just asinine.

I guess we can never take our kids to any sporting event, zoo, museum, movie, etc, simply because they are doing it for the love of their parents?!? Thats just crazy.

And as for my kid, I play a ton of music around the house. Everything from classical, to kids tunes, to Hendrix, PJ, Neil Young, etc.....My kid hates Neil Young despite my love for it. My kid hates Nirvana. My kid love Mind Your Manners as much as she likes "The Hot Dog Dance" From Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Daddy play that slow one again!!!" (referring to Pendulum) So she has no problem telling me that something sucks. She thinks Neil Young is an old lady based on his voice. "Daddy I dont like this, put on Mind your manners."

She also hated the basketball games I took her to, but loved hockey. So kids arent as dumb as you think. Nor are they as loyal.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Also, whats wrong with doing something out of the love of your parents anyway? WTF?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    KG179574 wrote:
    A kids band that tours consistently, even the south... And all for a reasonable price. Unlike...

Seeing them for the 3rd time in my area in 3 years. :fp:
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    KG179574 wrote:
    A kids band that tours consistently, even the south... And all for a reasonable price. Unlike...

Seeing them for the 3rd time in my area in 3 years. :fp:

"Even the south"
    :lol::lol::lol:

Can't believe this thread is still going.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    well it seems there are plenty people who see no wrong in taking a 3 year old to a rock show.....
  • I just hope pj dont play Balls in your Mouth,so you dont have to explain to your 3 years old kid what that means! :thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I just hope pj dont play Balls in your Mouth,so you dont have to explain to your 3 years old kid what that means! :thumbup:
    That reminds me of when Ed told a very long story in Missoula about a naked guy in the sauna, and how he could tattoo his penis and make a short message longer by getting a hard on.... I wonder what a 3 year old would make of that little tale? Or the one at Wrigley about Mike having 4 balls (I'M not even sure what to make of that one!). :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Am I the only one surprised that this thread is still active? :fp: :fp: :fp:
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I just hope pj dont play Balls in your Mouth,so you dont have to explain to your 3 years old kid what that means! :thumbup:
    That reminds me of when Ed told a very long story in Missoula about a naked guy in the sauna, and how he could tattoo his penis and make a short message longer by getting a hard on.... I wonder what a 3 year old would make of that little tale? Or the one at Wrigley about Mike having 4 balls (I'M not even sure what to make of that one!). :lol:

My three year old would probably have trouble hearing through ed mumbling, plus people talking, plus, not understanding the concepts and context of the language.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Am I the only one surprised that this thread is still active? :fp: :fp: :fp:

Im not surprised any thread is still active.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    or explain about mosquito bites back from 03 show.. :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Brought my 10 year old to the buffalo show...he had a blast and I did it for him, not me.

As for a 3 year old? I wouldn't do it...for many reasons. But none of those reason would come near me thinking it would be abuse. I wouldn't do it because he wouldn't remember, because I would be completely unable to enjoy myself, because its not for me. But I don't really care what someone else does with their ticket.

I'd much rather see a pleasant 3 year old there than a douche bag 30 year old drunk guy....but again, I don't really care. It's your ticket.

Is there beer and weed at concerts? Yes. Is there beer and weed everywhere? Pretty much. The guys in front of us lit one up and my boy smelled it...I in no way think that makes me a bad parent. Him, being 10, and I had a very informative convo about it on the way home. I'm glad those guys didn't think twice about it. It's 2.5 hours of my sons hopefully long life. And I think he'll have amazing memories of that night. I know I will.

Life is all about experiences. Don't worry so much about other people's choices. Make the ones you want to make. That dude and his 3 year old aren't going to affect your good time at the concert.

Look at me handing out life lessons! ;) anyway....just my opinion on it. As you were.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
    edited October 2013
    It's not abuse (unless the ear protection isn't adequate... which is actually easy to do - a lot of people have no clue as to how many decibels is safe or not for children and how good a job their particular headphones are doing... and frankly, wth is the point of a rock concert if they are wearing the correct headphones?? Everything is muffled and sounds like shit if they're working as well as they should be for children that age!). It's just not appropriate, in the same way that bringing a kid to a party where everyone's drunk isn't appropriate.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Brought my 10 year old to the buffalo show...he had a blast and I did it for him, not me.

As for a 3 year old? I wouldn't do it...for many reasons. But none of those reason would come near me thinking it would be abuse. I wouldn't do it because he wouldn't remember, because I would be completely unable to enjoy myself, because its not for me. But I don't really care what someone else does with their ticket.

I'd much rather see a pleasant 3 year old there than a douche bag 30 year old drunk guy....but again, I don't really care. It's your ticket.

Is there beer and weed at concerts? Yes. Is there beer and weed everywhere? Pretty much. The guys in front of us lit one up and my boy smelled it...I in no way think that makes me a bad parent. Him, being 10, and I had a very informative convo about it on the way home. I'm glad those guys didn't think twice about it. It's 2.5 hours of my sons hopefully long life. And I think he'll have amazing memories of that night. I know I will.

Life is all about experiences. Don't worry so much about other people's choices. Make the ones you want to make. That dude and his 3 year old aren't going to affect your good time at the concert.

Look at me handing out life lessons! ;) anyway....just my opinion on it. As you were.

some of you could learn a lot from this post.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    edited October 2013
    Brought my 10 year old to the buffalo show...he had a blast and I did it for him, not me.

Well actually, someone and their 3 year old would affect my good time at a concert if they were sitting by me. I'm not saying that's their problem, but I wouldn't be able to have as good a time.

Also, really? There is beer and weed pretty much everywhere?? I don't think so.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Brought my 10 year old to the buffalo show...he had a blast and I did it for him, not me.

Good post.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission

:thumbup:
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Well actually, someone and their 3 year old would affect my good time at a concert if they were sitting by me. I'm not saying that's their problem, but I wouldn't be able to have as good a time.

+1
    PJ_Soul wrote:

What cracks me up is that you guys yourselves understand every word of Ed's stories and assume a 3 yr old would understand them. So far at the shows we've gone to, even when a band member has cursed or made jokes, for the most part the flurry of words seems to go over the heads of my 3 and 5 yr old (who would have no problem at all asking "Did he just say "tattoo penis"?? What does that mean?" if they caught it.

My 5 yr old and I were listening to Marley's "Could You Be Loved" in the car the other day, and she asked "Momma, who is he singing to in this song?" Keeping it simple I just said "Probably his wife, Rita." "How many wives did Bob Marley have?" "He only married Rita." No way was I gonna wade into the numerous kids with other women as young as she is! But then she says "No momma, he had 3 wives." "Um, I'm pretty sure he only married Rita..." "Mommy you're forgetting something... they're called the "I - Threes!!" (Bob's backup vocalists, including Rita Marley, were called the I - Threes). I didn't even know she knew that!

So it's not to say kids don't catch things (they catch way more than we realize), but so far my kids don't seem to make out most of what is said through a mic unless it's a quiet show or they already know the song. So I'm not overly worried about Ed's stories right now, but the day will definitely come that I have to explain something I'm not ready to :lol: . But that day comes for every parent, show or no shows! My kids have already come home from school with questions like "Is darn a bad word? How about sillyhead? How about fuck?" (usually from friends with older siblings). It's only a matter of time...
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

My three year old would probably have trouble hearing through ed mumbling, plus people talking, plus, not understanding the concepts and context of the language.

I pretty much just said the same thing before I saw your comment. That is definitely true. I don't even understand all the mumbling a lot of the time!
  • Am I the only one surprised that this thread is still active? :fp: :fp: :fp:

+1
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

What cracks me up is that you guys yourselves understand every word of Ed's stories and assume a 3 yr old would understand them. So far at the shows we've gone to, even when a band member has cursed or made jokes, for the most part the flurry of words seems to go over the heads of my 3 and 5 yr old (who would have no problem at all asking "Did he just say "tattoo penis"?? What does that mean?" if they caught it.

My 5 yr old and I were listening to Marley's "Could You Be Loved" in the car the other day, and she asked "Momma, who is he singing to in this song?" Keeping it simple I just said "Probably his wife, Rita." "How many wives did Bob Marley have?" "He only married Rita." No way was I gonna wade into the numerous kids with other women as young as she is! But then she says "No momma, he had 3 wives." "Um, I'm pretty sure he only married Rita..." "Mommy you're forgetting something... they're called the "I - Threes!!" (Bob's backup vocalists, including Rita Marley, were called the I - Threes). I didn't even know she knew that!

So it's not to say kids don't catch things (they catch way more than we realize), but so far my kids don't seem to make out most of what is said through a mic unless it's a quiet show or they already know the song. So I'm not overly worried about Ed's stories right now, but the day will definitely come that I have to explain something I'm not ready to :lol: . But that day comes for every parent, show or no shows! My kids have already come home from school with questions like "Is darn a bad word? How about sillyhead? How about fuck?" (usually from friends with older siblings). It's only a matter of time...
    I think you need to gain a bit more of a sense of humour in this thread. ;)
  • PJ_Soul wrote:

You're right, it's not literally everywhere, but I think you get my point. There's sheltered existence then there's reality and education. And I'm mostly relating that statement to my situation though.

I'm not saying I support this guys choice as a parent, but it is his choice. And unless I'm aware of some abuse I don't make it my business to judge his choices.

And, I just have to add, I've been probably more affected by asshole adults at concerts than I would be by a kid.

I respect everyone's opinion here. I guess I just felt like I should weigh in since I brought my kid to a show. I know its not for everyone.

Bring on Philly I and II!! :D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,