Options

3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    jrnyc wrote:
    Any adult with a single ounce of common sense knows taking a 3 year old to a rock concert is beyond insane. I don't care what rationalizations anyone makes or what did or didn't happen to your kid that night, it still is a horrendous idea.

Also, get over your narcissistic self, your kid didn't want to go the show, you wanted your kid to go to the show.

BTW, when can we expect your kid to post a review of the show?

Since it sounds like you have really limited experience with 3 yr olds (if any at all), it's worth enlightening you that 3 yr olds actually have a LOT of opinions, and most can express them quite clearly! Obviously, as parents, we have to redirect them on many (pizza for every meal, every day, is never gonna happen), so no I'm not saying you listen and obey your 3 yr old's every whim. Not by a long shot. But 3 yr olds DO have likes, dislikes, and sometimes very strong feelings about those likes and dislikes. Yours may not, ok, cool, that's YOUR kid. But mine and the ones they go to school with and play with: 3 was an age full of opinions. Where those opinions/likes are not harmful and especially where the whole family is on the same page, why not go with it? Again, since to you it's "beyond insane and a horrendous idea", spell it out: WHY? What specifically is insane and horrendous about it?

And please be clear: just because your 3 yr old doesn't/can't express a desire to do something like see a specific concert, don't assume the entire world of 3 yr olds out there can't do it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,638
    I just saw a segment on the news this morning about how a strict and constant bedtime for children prevents emotional and behavioural problems, and how more and more parents in the past 10 - 20 years have moved away from this practice because they try to fit their kids into their lives rather than working their lives around their kids. Experts seem to have found that many parents show a lack of understanding of what the impact of not having a strict bedtime schedule has on children.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I just saw a segment on the news this morning about how a strict and constant bedtime for children prevents emotional and behavioural problems, and how more and more parents in the past 10 - 20 years have moved away from this practice because they try to fit their kids into their lives rather than working their lives around their kids. Experts seem to have found that many parents show a lack of understanding of what the impact of not having a strict bedtime schedule has on children.

That seems to be true about how parents increasingly make choices about how they structure their family schedules. And I can see both sides on the impact issue... There are also other studies that show a positive link between increased parental happiness and better behaviors of kids (I.e. Parents not looking at all aspects of family life as a "sacrifice", which has never been my view of parenting but is very common.) Could start a whole other thread about that! More importantly though, a strict and constant bedtime can only "prevent behavioral problems" if everything else about the family dynamic is pretty healthy. But strict constant bedtimes will NOT prevent bad behavior if there is emotional abuse or bullying or other negative factors present. It's more accurate to say there's a demonstrated correlation between kids with inconsistent/no bedtimes and poor behavior in those kids, because strict bedtimes won't cure other dysfunctions if they're present.

Even with this though, the whole taking kids to shows question is such an isolated event (we went to only 3 shows with kids in all of 2013. That's 3 out of 365 days...). For me, because the point has been raised that this is abusive or neglectful, I'm still waiting for that to be explained. Not having at least one family meal a day with all family present has also been linked to increased behavioral problems in kids... But no one in their right mind expects every family to do that 365 out of 365 days.

In other words, no study ever has shown that 4 or 10 days a year of not getting your kids to bed ontime leads to behavioral problems. So far no one in this thread is taking kids weekly or even monthly to shows. It's all about scale, and while your point is totally relevant to the discussion of why some parents may take kids to shows, it can't really be used to say that we're hurting kids or giving them behavioral problems because 5 nights a year we took them to a show. Even Mr. Psychologist/child development expert would have to agree with that.

Speaking of him, I hope he returns soon. Still waiting on how this all adds up to abuse or neglect, in his expert opinion.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Oh so now not only does JH work at CPS, she also works as a grammar policewoman! So I spelled tampons tampoons, who the fuck cares. But hey, keep on trucking along to all those shows (1,200) last time you checked. God I hope I see you at one of the shows. Smoke a fat spliff right in front of you and your kid. Love to see what you'd say then. :thumbup:
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    Jack Straw wrote:
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Sorry, Jack Straw, but it's very questionable parenting, not to mention utterly self-centered behavior.
    As I said above, you might as well bring your dog. Considering research into megacognitive knowledge and retention of adolescents, your dog will get more out of a rock concert than your 3-year-old or 4-year-old -- 6 is pushing it.

Can't help but agree with this quote. . . .taking a kid to a PJ show is very self centered. Kids that age want to go see the Fresh Beat Band, not Pearl Jam (never mind the blatant fact that it would be more age appropriate). . . . . who is getting the most satisfaction out of taking a 3 or 4 year old to this show? I understand the desire to be the cool parent, but that shouldn't trump a child's safety or well being.

Umm. No. My kids are way into music and have been exposed to it from the beginning. They love Pearl Jam, not the Fresh Beat Band. I didn't even ask my kids if they wanted to go. The 6 year old asked to go for his birthday, so while many of the other points are valid, that one is not.

I would agree with Jack Straw on the music thing. My son, who is 4, has never even heard of the Fresh Beat Band. My kid listens to music every day and he picks the music he wants to listen to and it is typically PJ, Beatles, QOTSA, Nirvana, blah, blah. Yes he listens to childrens music as well, but for the most part, he wants what his parents are listening to.

I wouldn't take my son to a show until he is much older, but he definitely has asked me. He has been asking me for weeks if he can come with Mommy & Daddy to see Pearl Jam show and we tell him he is too young.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    I have a 3 year old. My three year old would LOVE a concert. She loves sporting events, she loves movies, she loves anything where there is a bunch of people.

She plays MYM on repeat.

I dont know if I would bring my kid to a concert, though.

I have no problem with her staying up late for special occasions. I have no problem with the noise (i would get ear protection) I have no problem with MOST of the crowd either. I dont know all the research on pregnancy issues with sound on the fetus, etc.

But as long as the kid has ear protection, i dont think I would mind.

If you dont mind bathroom breaks every 8 songs, I think this is fine. We took our kid to a baseball game a few months ago, and we could not pull her away from the band that was playing outside the stadium.

So yeah....kids can like music.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    Oh so now not only does JH work at CPS, she also works as a grammar policewoman! So I spelled tampons tampoons, who the fuck cares. But hey, keep on trucking along to all those shows (1,200) last time you checked. God I hope I see you at one of the shows. Smoke a fat spliff right in front of you and your kid. Love to see what you'd say then. :thumbup:

Aaaah, so great when people just make you're point for you... Such a winning attitude you have there! :mrgreen:

P.s so much for me being grammar police - I just said you're instead of your! :lol:
  • Options
    a whole lot of judgement going on in this thread. holy cow.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    JH6056 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

Aaaah, so great when people just make you're point for you... Such a winning attitude you have there! :mrgreen:

P.s so much for me being grammar police - I just said you're instead of your! :lol:

It's funny, 90% of people in this thread are against your views and you've attacked everyone of them. Instead of letting it go, you've choses to act like a 5th grader and attack us all. Yup, your 3 year old belongs at EVERY SHOW you attend since you guys act about the same age..... :mrgreen: (green smiley face for ya to) :fp:
    I'm done with you and your 3 year old, I'm gonna go over to AMT where the adults are... :lol:
  • Options
    JM44800 wrote:
    Jack Straw wrote:

Can't help but agree with this quote. . . .taking a kid to a PJ show is very self centered. Kids that age want to go see the Fresh Beat Band, not Pearl Jam (never mind the blatant fact that it would be more age appropriate). . . . . who is getting the most satisfaction out of taking a 3 or 4 year old to this show? I understand the desire to be the cool parent, but that shouldn't trump a child's safety or well being.

Umm. No. My kids are way into music and have been exposed to it from the beginning. They love Pearl Jam, not the Fresh Beat Band. I didn't even ask my kids if they wanted to go. The 6 year old asked to go for his birthday, so while many of the other points are valid, that one is not.

I would agree with Jack Straw on the music thing. My son, who is 4, has never even heard of the Fresh Beat Band. My kid listens to music every day and he picks the music he wants to listen to and it is typically PJ, Beatles, QOTSA, Nirvana, blah, blah. Yes he listens to childrens music as well, but for the most part, he wants what his parents are listening to.

I wouldn't take my son to a show until he is much older, but he definitely has asked me. He has been asking me for weeks if he can come with Mommy & Daddy to see Pearl Jam show and we tell him he is too young.

Totally agree. My kids have been to Yo Gabba Gabba live twice, and they did love that and the 3 yr old would love to see the Fresh Beat Band. But if you put them in separate rooms and gave them a choice between Yo Gabba Gabba/Fresh Beat and Pearl Jam/Atoms For Peace/Bob Marley, they'd each pick one of the last 3 and pester us forever about when we were going (the 5 yr old knows we'll never see Marley, but the 3 yr old is still hopeful somehow he'll show up to play live again!). And yes, the 5 yr old loves Atoms for Peace and bouncing around to anything that rhythmic. Loves Soul Coughing too, anyone remember them?
  • Options
    I really don't think that whether or not the 3 year old likes the music is the point. If the conversation were about what records parents should play for their children, then this would be relevant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

It's funny, 90% of people in this thread are against your views and you've attacked everyone of them. Instead of letting it go, you've choses to act like a 5th grader and attack us all. Yup, your 3 year old belongs at EVERY SHOW you attend since you guys act about the same age..... :mrgreen: (green smiley face for ya to) :fp:
    I'm done with you and your 3 year old, I'm gonna go over to AMT where the adults are... :lol:

Riiiight... Because nothing about the post below sounds like a 5th grader...
    badbrains wrote:
    JH5066, chill the fuck out you fucken loud mouth. I made a statement about you being an idiot for taking your "baby" "child" whatever the case is and I STAND by it. Go change some diapers and buy some tampoons mr/mrs super sensitive. I give the bad brains a bad name or something to matter you said??? Well shit, you give parents a bad name. And I raised my sis since she's been a child and guess what loud mouth, I took her to her first concert at the age of 16 (the boss). And in nov she'll be going to see paramore at MSG at the age of 17. Does it make me a better parent/guardian then you, ABSOFUCKENLUTELY! You want to continue this conversation, I'll be at both Brooklyn and both Philly shows WITHOUT my sister. 8-)

Have fun over at AMT, wear ear protection, and don't stay up too late! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I really don't think that whether or not the 3 year old likes the music is the point. If the conversation were about what records parents should play for their children, then this would be relevant.

If several people are saying that young kids can't choose this music or they don't like this music (and therefore this can only be about parents forcing the parent's desire to see these shows live on the kids and the kids are really actually miserable - all points that have been raised repeatedly in this thread), how are examples of kids who actually ask to hear this music not relevant to this discussion?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    When i was 3... I wasn't able to choose the music that played in my house because:
    A. I was 3.
    B. I didn't know how the radio or record player worked.
    C. I was not allowed to go near the radio or record player or television.
    D. I was too young to drive to the record store to browse through the various catalogs for music of my liking.
    E. I was fricken' 3!
    So, my only option was to listen to what my parent's were playing.
    That is why I loved Perry Como, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Jimmy Dean and Sing Along With Mitch Miller.
    But, i do remember my favorite record was a kid's record we had that had 'Davey Crockett' on it. It also had a song about some cat that got stuck in a tree and howled at the Moon... that was the greatest song ever invented... to me.
    But, hey... I was 3... what the hell did i know?
    P.S. Guess how many Perry Como, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Jimmy Dean and Sing Along With Mitch Miller songs are on my iPod today?
    Give yourself a Gold Star if you said, 'Zero'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    PJ_Soul wrote:

One of the wisest things we ever did was getting our son on a schedule.
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

If several people are saying that young kids can't choose this music or they don't like this music (and therefore this can only be about parents forcing the parent's desire to see these shows live on the kids and the kids are really actually miserable - all points that have been raised repeatedly in this thread), how are examples of kids who actually ask to hear this music not relevant to this discussion?
    Because whether or not the kids like the music has nothing to do with whether or not a rock concert where there is drinking, drug use, ad goes until 11 or 11:30 at night is an appropriate place for a young child.
    I loved Guns n' Roses by the time I was 11 years old, but my parents would not have let me go to one of their concerts at that age, not in a million years. No one's parents would unless they were really shitty parents. Because they were responsible parents who understood what was and wasn't appropriate for a child. I don't know wtf has happened to the concept of parenting for a lot of people since then, but I don't think it's gone in a good direction.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited October 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Because whether or not the kids like the music has nothing to do with whether or not a rock concert where there is drinking, drug use, ad goes until 11 or 11:30 at night is an appropriate place for a young child.
    I loved Guns n' Roses by the time I was 11 years old, but my parents would not have let me go to one of their concerts at that age, not in a million years. No one's parents would unless they were really shitty parents. Because they were responsible parents who understood what was and wasn't appropriate for a child. I don't know wtf has happened to the concept of parenting for a lot of people since then, but I don't think it's gone in a good direction.
    You should thank your parents for not letting you go to the Guns and Roses gig back then... because you would have gotten an Axel Rose tattoo on your ass that you would be regretting today.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Actually I would never take any kid younger than 16 to a Guns and Roses concert either, because it's a GUNS AND ROSES concert. That bands entire scene and most of their songs were built around drug use, groupies and being bad boys. I saw GNR and saw more tits, idiots and drugged out sad saps than any other show I've been to before or since. Which is exactly what I expected because... Wait for it... It was Guns and Roses!

I should also say I had a great time and feel like that was a very specific slice of a bygone musical time that was mostly silly but was definitely theatrical and GNR had some real talent. Enjoyed that show a ton.

Different bands draw different scenes, and so far no one has mentioned taking a kid to a show like that. All rock shows/scenes are not the same, so please explain why a kid at a typical PJ show would be equally as bad?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    wow!...this thread is still going?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

Actually I would never take any kid younger than 16 to a Guns and Roses concert either, because it's a GUNS AND ROSES concert. That bands entire scene and most of their songs were built around drug use, groupies and being bad boys. I saw GNR and saw more tits, idiots and drugged out sad saps than any other show I've been to before or since. Which is exactly what I expected because... Wait for it... It was Guns and Roses!

Different bands draw different scenes, and so far no one has mentioned taking a kid to a show like that. All rock shows/scenes are not the same, so please explain why a kid at a typical PJ show would be equally as bad?
    I would never take my little kid to ANY place where there is open drug use and thousands of drunk strangers, late at night when they're supposed to be in bed. Because they're 3 years old. The more I think about it, the more idiotic it seems to me. I don't personally know ANY parents who would even consider taking their 3 year old to a rock concert or keep them out around drunk and high people and not get them home until midnight. I've asked some of the them, and they all thought it was the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

The point was someone previously said to take then to the Fresh Jive concert or whatever kids thing they named and I would never take my kids to that because they have never heard of them nor would they likely enjoy it. They would enjoy going to something they have listened to every day and can sing a long to.

And I am one of the ones that would not take their kid to a show, but certainly undertsand and respect those that would. If you know your kid, it should not matter what others on here think, especially since most of them are obnoxious in their responses and rude.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Hey, compared to the guy taking the 1 year old daughter to Wrigley cause she likes the music and the colors of the lights, this guy seems pretty normal. :) Still, 3 year olds don't belong at ANY concerts, unless it's the Fresh Beat Band or a Sesame Street touring show. People act like if they have the hearing protection ear muffs, then they've done their responsible duty and that's the end of the story. So wrong.

I'm glad this kid enjoyed themselves, but they will remember nothing of that night 3 years from now, and it's all a little silly. I have a friend who took his 3 year old to see Rush a few years ago, but they sat on the lawn in the summer time, and the kid was asleep a few songs into the 2nd half, and they left during the encore. They had fun I guess, but I don't get the point. Inside arena concert that starts at 8:30 when the kid should be in bed, shouldn't even be a "should I...?" decision. Just wait and enjoy yourself without the toddler.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    JM44800 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

The point was someone previously said to take then to the Fresh Jive concert or whatever kids thing they named and I would never take my kids to that because they have never heard of them nor would they likely enjoy it. They would enjoy going to something they have listened to every day and can sing a long to.

And I am one of the ones that would not take their kid to a show, but certainly undertsand and respect those that would. If you know your kid, it should not matter what others on here think, especially since most of them are obnoxious in their responses and rude.
    So I guess anything that parents let their kids do is perfectly fine. As long as the parent thinks it's cool, no probs. Stick your 4 year old on an ATV, smoke around them indoors, let people smoke weed around them, get drunk around them... whatever. As long as the kid's parent figures the kid is fine, then it's fine! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Cosmo wrote:
    When i was 3... I wasn't able to choose the music that played in my house because:
    A. I was 3.
    D. I was too young to drive to the record store to browse through the various catalogs for music of my liking.
    E. I was fricken' 3!
    That is why I loved Perry Como, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Jimmy Dean and Sing Along With Mitch Miller.
    But, i do remember my favorite record was a kid's record we had that had 'Davey Crockett' on it. It also had a song about some cat that got stuck in a tree and howled at the Moon... that was the greatest song ever invented... to me.
    P.S. Guess how many Perry Como, Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Jimmy Dean and Sing Along With Mitch Miller songs are on my iPod today?

So you're saying you didn't beg to go with them when they got tix for Perry Como with Mitch Miller as support??? :shock:

But that right there is the key: yes, we're all limited by what we're exposed to and our ability/inability to seek out new stuff ourselves. And there's always that dynamic, like with awful pop songs where you hate it when you first hear it, but then hearing it over and over (in supermarkets, elevators, coffee shops) after awhile when it comes on you start tapping your fingers and humming along: repetition and familiarity can start to feel like (or actually turn into) liking it.

BUT... Repetition alone canNOT make a 3 yr beg to hear it over and over. We play a LOT of different kinds of music in our house. They absolutely do not like everything we love, nor do we expect them to. The 5 yr old would listen to Bob Marley 24/7 if she could, no matter what else she hears and likes.

There's a difference between "it's good enough until I'm old enough to discover my own music" and "Please please please play "3 Little Birds" again!!"

In the meantime though Cosmo, please tell me your parents took you to see Glen Campbell live before you ditched their music? I would be so jealous! I mean that, Wichita Lineman is one of many classics!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    badbrains wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

badbrains if anything, you have been the one attacking and saying really stupid stuff. Smoke a spliff and blow it in someone's face, what is your problem dick? I have read this entire thread and anything JH6056 has said has been pretty articulate and rationale, while you just keep spouting nonense. Maybe you can't handle a rationale conversation on this topic since you feel so strongly about it based on your vulgarity and generalizations and fly off the handle when someone speaks oppositie of how you would do something. Doesn't make it wrong, just makes it different and if you have to resort to insults or curse at someone because of it, then you are the one with a much bigger problem. And I would love to run into you at Brooklyn or Philly. :fp:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JM44800 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

So I guess anything that parents let their kids do is perfectly fine. As long as the parent thinks it's cool, no probs. Stick your 4 year old on an ATV, smoke around them indoors, let people smoke weed around them, get drunk around them... whatever. As long as the kid's parent figures the kid is fine, then it's fine! :thumbup:

How you jumped waaay over from what that poster actually said to your interpretation/exaggeration in your post is a mystery, but there are 17 pages of people saying extreme things without backing it up, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    A. I was 3.
    E. I was fricken' 3!

So you're saying you didn't beg to go with them when they got tix for Perry Como with Mitch Miller as support??? :shock:

But that right there is the key: yes, we're all limited by what we're exposed to and our ability/inability to seek out new stuff ourselves. And there's always that dynamic, like with awful pop songs where you hate it when you first hear it, but then hearing it over and over (in supermarkets, elevators, coffee shops) after awhile when it comes on you start tapping your fingers and humming along: repetition and familiarity can start to feel like (or actually turn into) liking it.

BUT... Repetition alone canNOT make a 3 yr beg to hear it over and over. We play a LOT of different kinds of music in our house. They absolutely do not like everything we love, nor do we expect them to. The 5 yr old would listen to Bob Marley 24/7 if she could, no matter what else she hears and likes.

There's a difference between "it's good enough until I'm old enough to discover my own music" and "Please please please play "3 Little Birds" again!!"

In the meantime though Cosmo, please tell me your parents took you to see Glen Campbell live before you ditched their music? I would be so jealous!

Much different in my house, Cosmo. My son just turned 4 in August and every day, every day, when he wakes up he asks if we can play music. When we get in the car to go to school, he specifically asks to play the new Pearl Jam or Nirvana or Bob Marley or other bands that he hears around the house and likes. When he goes to bed at night, he wants to listen to music instead of reading a book for night time. I don't believe he would do that if he didn't have a genuine connection with the music. Does that mean he is going to like these bands when he gets older, I don't know. Maybe he will, I would like to think he will because it's good music and it can transcend a lot of things, especially time.
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JM44800 wrote:

How you jumped waaay over from what that poster actually said to your interpretation/exaggeration in your post is a mystery, but there are 17 pages of people saying extreme things without backing it up, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.
    I think my facetiousness in that post is glaringly obvious, and so is the point I'm making.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I would never take my little kid to ANY place where there is open drug use and thousands of drunk strangers, late at night when they're supposed to be in bed. Because they're 3 years old. The more I think about it, the more idiotic it seems to me. I don't personally know ANY parents who would even consider taking their 3 year old to a rock concert or keep them out around drunk and high people and not get them home until midnight. I've asked some of the them, and they all thought it was the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard.

First off, once again, where are you seeing "open drug use" at PJ shows?? What drugs?? At the venues we go to, you can't smoke at all and they do go after all smokers. The 2 times no one stopped others from smoking, we moved. Period. And even without my kids I move because I hate smoke (don't know how I survived back when you could smoke everywhere!). And drinking, I don't care if people are consuming alcohol, I only care how they're acting. Loud comes with the territory, and the few true asses I've been close to, we moved. Again, I don't stay near asses even without kids. So what drugs are you seeing used in the open, and where are you seeing it?

Everything else you said about never taking your kids, hey, that's absolutely your choice to make. You and your friends see eye to eye, excellent, good to have a community that reflects your values. We have a really good community of parents that reflect our values too. The kids at my kids' schools do extremely well on standardized tests. My 5 yr old and several of her friends take Judo and are now yellow belts. My kids' friends are smart, kind, and our families enjoy being around their friends's families. Our oldest is in a bilingual school and can already converse in a 2nd language. They both love to play kiddie soccer at school/preschool. In public places we constantly get complimented on how articulate and sweet our kids are, but they're just like their friends.

Oh, and we run into them and their similarly aged kids at all sorts of musical events - everything from They Might Be Giants kids matinee shows to when a group of us took our kids to see Living Color do all of Vivid recently. So our friends... Are different from your friends. And that's ok. I'm guessing one thing we ALL have in common is wanting the best for our kids and doing our best for our kids. Can you imagine that being true from your end?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I am taking my 17 year-old son to Monday's PJ show in Philly and I am a bit worried.....

.....he may mosh me or send me crowd surfing.....