3 year-old's First Show Tonight

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    um, teenager or not. is ANYONE really equipped to deal with their home being struck by lightning?

:lol::lol:

• And how often does your home get hit with lightning. :fp:

Otherwise, I can't argue with the rest of what your wrote. However, I still believe that jam-packed shows are not the place for a kid under 13. ANY kid. I lose myself in the music, I let it take me away. I would be completely irresponsible if I permitted myself to lose myself in the music, a purely sacred experience for me, if I had to also watch my young child because it was *me* who thought they would enjoy it. I do believe that this thinking is purely narcissistic.

I'm hoping just once :shock: -- point being that the sitter was not all that well-equipped to deal with unexpected situations.

I hear what you're saying. We had no expectation that those around us would modify their behavior; some guys asked if it would be a problem if they lit up, and we said no -- we knew that was to be expected. We also did not expect anyone else to watch our kids -- we don't drink at shows. And we did ask the boys if they wanted to go; they knew and enjoyed the music, and yelling and pounding on the seats during "Betterman" at Mansfield is one of our best family memories. :)

I'm also looking forward to going without them this tour, so my husband and I can have some time together. :)

:thumbup:

:)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    JaneNY wrote:
    :nono: :nono: :nono:

do NOT do it... you and your 3yrs old will NOT enjoy the night, I have a toddler the same age and will not expose her to that, its not a place for little ones, but is your kid, so good luck!!!

Well they actually already went last night and it sounds like everyone survived.

"Surviving" still doesn't make it right.

That's not the point - the previous poster said don't do it as if the event was still in the future. What's the purpose of telling someone not to do something that is already in the past?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    um, teenager or not. is ANYONE really equipped to deal with their home being struck by lightning?

Rubber Man?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • JaneNY wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

Well they actually already went last night and it sounds like everyone survived.

"Surviving" still doesn't make it right.

That's not the point - the previous poster said don't do it as if the event was still in the future. What's the purpose of telling someone not to do something that is already in the past?

Understood but just being dismissive and accepting of what the OP did kind of shows how you have missed the "point" of what most of us have been saying since this thread started.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    He has seen Dylan and the Black Keys and had a blast! Worried he won't make the length of a Pearl Jam show. I've got ear protection....Any other advice from parents?

As a parent, I'd advise you to come to a 2 and a half hour concert without a three year old. :geek:

The child will not have interest in an event like this for that long and then you'll either have to leave early or deal with an unhappy child that needs to go home to bed!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Maybe after the show you guys could hit up a strip club, get him a lapdance or a private show in the champagne room. When you get home, unwind with a spliff and chat about the show.

I think forced sterilisation would be a good option for you, what a fucking mook!!

You deserve to have Children's Aid/Child Services called.
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,036
    Horrendous parenting taking small children to PJ. Do we really need to give examples of why this is a bad idea??? Seriously, what the fuck? You'd think it'd be pretty obvious to not take children to an adult rock n roll concert. Btw, I'd be fucking pissed if I was ever sitting next to a 5yr old at PJ.
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Horrendous parenting taking small children to PJ. Do we really need to give examples of why this is a bad idea??? Seriously, what the fuck? You'd think it'd be pretty obvious to not take children to an adult rock n roll concert. Btw, I'd be fucking pissed if I was ever sitting next to a 5yr old at PJ.

Well said!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Is the original starter of this thread still reading? I got through 6 pages of narrow-minded comments and didn't see any further posts from the original poster so I'm not sure. Totally understand the silence though, because who would expect so many people to not understand that SOME kids and SOME shows mix quite well and just because you can't imagine it working for your kid doesn't mean someone else is a horrible parent?

If you are still reading original poster, 1st off I hope you trusted your gut and didn't let the deafening naysaying stop you from bringing your kid. I also hope you all had fun!

2nd, just so you don't feel totally alone, we started bringing our kids to shows quite young too, and they loved it and so far are healthy, smart awesome kids, so apparently it didn't ruin them. :roll:

We took our oldest to Coachella when she was 18 months old. Festivals are easier in a way because there is tons of space for them to run around and you can park yourself and spread out for most of the day. With both of our kids, they fall asleep wherever they are, whatever is going on, right at bedtime. All we needed were her ear protectors, a reclining stroller, and a blanket (and a flashlight for navigation at the end). She wore her ear protectors the whole time, but at bedtime she just crashed out after each day of running all day. We were able to stay for the headliners, just camped out at the back edges, and she never woke up between falling asleep at the show and finally getting tucked in where we were staying. And she loved all the sights, because there was always plenty of visual intrigue.

She went with us to any show where we knew we could sit, because her ears were fine and she was happy and then out like a light at bedtime. You can't smoke in venues in the 2 cities we've lived with the kids, so that's not an issue, and we rarely have run into rude or trashed people in close proximity. The few times we did, we moved further back. Not rocket science!

Once #2 was born we've hardly gone out, but we did take them this year (now 3 & 5) to see a few shows. The 5 yr old now stays awake for most of it and has a good time (evidenced by dancing in her seat, asking questions and pointing things out), and the 3 yr old is like her sister and does not wake up once she falls asleep.

And this whole BS about it bothering the people around us? What exactly is it about a young kid who stays in her seat most of the show, we go walk around the lobby/hallways if she gets restless, and then at some point when she was young she'd pass out and we'd sit there even if everyone else was standing and just enjoy the music and whatever we could see... How does ANY of that impact anyone else at the show at all?? We don't expect anyone to be quiet or sit down or not drink. What are you all doing at shows that would be so awful for a small kid to witness or sleep through?

We've gotten hairy eyeballs a few times from other people but mostly people either seem not to care or to be very nice and supportive. Our kids have great hearing according to the Ped, they're doing fine in preschool and kindergarten, and whenever my husband and I consider buying tix for a show, the 1st question from them is "Do we get to go?" These days we rarely buy tix for shows, and it's even more rare for us to take them both, but it happens occasionally.

You know yourself, and you know your kids. Do what works for them, and as long as they seem to enjoy it and aren't adversely affected (either at the show or the next day), take them and have a great time! It is true that not all kids are cut out for going to shows young, but some do just fine and are still healthy and happy so do what works for your family!

I'd love to know what you ended up doing and what your experience was. If you feel like sharing but don't want to post here, feel free to PM me. Take care!
    StevieG wrote:
    Maybe after the show you guys could hit up a strip club, get him a lapdance or a private show in the champagne room. When you get home, unwind with a spliff and chat about the show.

I think forced sterilisation would be a good option for you, what a fucking mook!!

As someone who has worked as a Supervisor for child protective services for years... And also as the previous poster who took her 1st kid to Coachella at 18 months, I know a lot about child welfare and about taking kids to shows. Please do tell me, what in the world is it about taking a 3 year old to 3 or 4 shows a year that actually amounts to a call to CPS? As long as the child is ok, it's not a regular occurrence, the child has ear protection, and the parents are watching their child, keeping them safe and getting them anything they need, what about this scenario amounts to child abuse or neglect in your opinion?

Seriously, for all you "Your a horrible parent!" posters, if you really think this is so bad, look up your local child welfare agency. Find a non-emergency number and call them. Tell them you have a general question about whether taking a 3 yr old to a rock concert with ear protection is considered abuse or neglect. Report back with what they say, and for anyone who says they said yes, say what city/town/county you called. I've worked for CPS in 3 states and without some other disturbing details (Dad was smoking weed, mom let the kid wander off, the kid was crying and screaming and the parents ignored them, etc) there would be nothing about this that we would screen in (send to the Investigations unit).

So what exactly do you think fits the definition of abuse and neglect?
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    During Berlin 2, 2012; an Indian couple with a kid of 7-8 year old showed up. With the booze flowing in my blood, I gave the husband a thumb-up, pointing to the kid just before the show started. Was a dumb move on my side. Pretty soon after the show started, the boy started to show signs of boredom. The wife had to take the boy out and they werent visible for the most of the show even the husband seemed to enjoy the rest of the show.

It is not the end of the world but expecting a kid that small to enjoy a rock concert in a closed arena is not rational. There is special kids music for that age and it is not rock music. You might get away with it and things might not end up so badly at the end but there might be places and activities at that time much better and suitable for that kid.

As some people pointed out, you might get away with it up to some point with a festival kind of environment, if you can tolerate to stay a bit farer from the crowd and make it like a family picnic or something.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    JH6056 wrote:
    StevieG wrote:

As someone who has worked as a Supervisor for child protective services for years... And also as the previous poster who took her 1st kid to Coachella at 18 months, I know a lot about child welfare and about taking kids to shows. Please do tell me, what in the world is it about taking a 3 year old to 3 or 4 shows a year that actually amounts to a call to CPS? As long as the child is ok, it's not a regular occurrence, the child has ear protection, and the parents are watching their child, keeping them safe and getting them anything they need, what about this scenario amounts to child abuse or neglect in your opinion?

Seriously, for all you "Your a horrible parent!" posters, if you really think this is so bad, look up your local child welfare agency. Find a non-emergency number and call them. Tell them you have a general question about whether taking a 3 yr old to a rock concert with ear protection is considered abuse or neglect. Report back with what they say, and for anyone who says they said yes, say what city/town/county you called. I've worked for CPS in 3 states and without some other disturbing details (Dad was smoking weed, mom let the kid wander off, the kid was crying and screaming and the parents ignored them, etc) there would be nothing about this that we would screen in (send to the Investigations unit).

I can see why you USED to work there. Get a fucken clue, NO child belongs at a fucken concert PERIOD! Wake the fuck up, this isn't being a "cool" dad, it's being a fucken idiot. News flash, you guys aren't as cool as you think. :fp:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    To OP, did your child get passed above the crowd ?
    Hope your child enjoyed crowd surfing.

Honestly, how would a 3 yr old remember this concert?
    A 3 yr old should be home watching a Wiggles dvd.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    I followed the Dead for 20 years (along with a full time job and college). I can't tell you how many times I saw parents bring their kids, as you as 2 months old. Hey poor parenting skills.

I got slammed on a prior post about pregnant women' coming to the show. Just as irresponciBle.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    quimby20 wrote:
    I followed the Dead for 20 years (along with a full time job and college). I can't tell you how many times I saw parents bring their kids, as you as 2 months old. Hey poor parenting skills.

I got slammed on a prior post about pregnant women' coming to the show. Just as irresponciBle.
    Yeah, but now those kids are Phish fans probably doing the same thing.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    In whose best interest is a parent acting when they take a child under 10 to a concert like this?

Seriously, who are you indulging here?
    badbrains wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    StevieG wrote:

I can see why you USED to work there. Get a fucken clue, NO child belongs at a fucken concert PERIOD! Wake the fuck up, this isn't being a "cool" dad, it's being a fucken idiot. News flash, you guys aren't as cool as you think. :fp:

Where did you get that I "USED" to work with CPS? Brilliant reading comprehension skills you just demonstrated badbrains. Seriously, change your screen name, you're cluelessness is an insult to a brilliant band. Also, where the hell did this "cool" factor come from? I never said I thought it was cool, and I could not give a rat's ass whether you, anyone on this board, or anyone at shows thinks I'm cool or not. Thankfully my sense of self-worth comes from a much healthier place than that. How bout you, project much? That "cool" thing is your creation and your issue. Leave us out of it.

Which brings up the question badbrains and all the other "horrible parent" posters in ths and every similar thread: how many of you are actually parents yourselves? I gotta wonder, because most good parents KNOW HOW TO READ THEIR KIDS. It isn't rocket science and it's bizarre to me that so many of you have this blanket assumption that parents don't know their kids enough and can't read them enough to know whether they're ok or not. Like the person who just posted about the 7-8 yr old (not sure why you mentioned the family's race by the way - why is it relevant that they wre Indian?) but it sounds like they brought him, he was bored, they saw that, and the mom took him out. What's wrong with trying that once? It would be different if you saw them at every show and the kid was clearly miserable, but where the hell is the horror in trying this out?

Last question for you, Mr. "Get a fucken clue" badbrains: neither you or anyone else yet has actually answered my question: WHAT IS THE HARM? As long as the kid's ears are protected, they're not in the front row of a GWAR show or at a notoriously rowdy venue, and their parents are taking care of them, WHY is it so "NO child belongs at a fucken rock concert PERIOD!!"? Until someone can explain what the actual horrible impact is on ALL kids at ALL rock concerts, you're all just acting like overly Judgemental jerks who have an opinion (which you're entitled to) but it's an opinion you can't back up.
    JH6056 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

Where did you get that I "USED" to work with CPS? Brilliant reading comprehension skills you just demonstrated badbrains. Seriously, change your screen name, you're cluelessness is an insult to a brilliant band. Also, where the hell did this "cool" factor come from? I never said I thought it was cool, and I could not give a rat's ass whether you, anyone on this board, or anyone at shows thinks I'm cool or not. Thankfully my sense of self-worth comes from a much healthier place than that. How bout you, project much? That "cool" thing is your creation and your issue. Leave us out of it.

Which brings up the question badbrains and all the other "horrible parent" posters in ths and every similar thread: how many of you are actually parents yourselves? I gotta wonder, because most good parents KNOW HOW TO READ THEIR KIDS. It isn't rocket science and it's bizarre to me that so many of you have this blanket assumption that parents don't know their kids enough and can't read them enough to know whether they're ok or not. Like the person who just posted about the 7-8 yr old (not sure why you mentioned the family's race by the way - why is it relevant that they wre Indian?) but it sounds like they brought him, he was bored, they saw that, and the mom took him out. What's wrong with trying that once? It would be different if you saw them at every show and the kid was clearly miserable, but where the hell is the horror in trying this out? It's not for every kid, but guess what? NOTHING is for EVERY kid. I've seen kids 3, 5, 7, 9 and all other ages enjoy shows. Why is it awful to bring a kid who either enjoys or at least doesn't hate being at a show?

Last question for you, Mr. "Get a fucken clue" badbrains: neither you or anyone else yet has actually answered my question: WHAT IS THE HARM? As long as the kid's ears are protected, they're not in the front row of a GWAR show or at a notoriously rowdy venue, and their parents are taking care of them, WHY is it so "NO child belongs at a fucken rock concert PERIOD!!"? Until someone can explain what the actual horrible impact is on ALL kids at ALL rock concerts, you're all just acting like overly Judgemental jerks who have an opinion (which you're entitled to) but it's an opinion you can't back up.

Meant to add the bolded part above..
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,075
    eddiec wrote:
    Pearl Jam ain't The Grateful Dead.

Yeah, but they're getting there.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    eddiec wrote:
    Pearl Jam ain't The Grateful Dead.

Yeah, but they're getting there.

statement.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    JH6056 wrote:

I'm not sticking up for anyone on here, and this is not a defense for anyone but I believe what most people are referring to when they say that kids don't belong at an indoor concert is the drug use and excessive alcohol consumption. CPS is a stretch based on the generalities posted here. Nothing specifically stated would (IMO) justifies a CPS case but it is my opinion. A rock concert is basically an indoor bar with live music and is not the safest place for family entertainment IMO.

Wind this thing up.

• jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    JH6056 wrote:
    Like the person who just posted about the 7-8 yr old (not sure why you mentioned the family's race by the way - why is it relevant that they wre Indian?)

I mentioned they were Indian to emphasize the diversity of people enjoying PJ music and coming to shows. This is something that amazes me, all the time. During that 2 shows in Berlin, I've met and chatted with people from Poland, Mexico and Brazil. This might sound like old news but when you're there, witnessing it alive, it's really something impressive.

Sorry for getting out of the context of the thread, felt the need to explain.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    In whose best interest is a parent acting when they take a child under 10 to a concert like this?

Seriously, who are you indulging here?

One person and one person only, their narcissistic selves.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,216
    These threads are always fantastically hilarious.
    Personally, I think bringing a 3 years old to a huge rock show is crazy. Its about the same as bringing them to a packed bar/drinking establishment, (regarding the crowd).
    I get that many kids are different, but the majority of people there are adults. Its loud. Its late. There's rampant drug use and drinking. There's even vomiting if you're lucky -- but three year olds are used to vomiting and peeing themselves I suppose.

Maybe 8-10+ years old is the age I would consider bringing kids.. But thats just me.. this is from a selfish point of view though... I just dont think I would enjoy the show, since 110% of your attention better be on that kid if he/she is 3 years old.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Just make sure the kid gets the full first rock show experience and goes crowd surfing in GA. I'm sure the crowd pull push him straight to the stage and then he has a fantastic chance to drink from eddies wine bottle. Hell, they may even pull him onstage for a song or two. It's myyyy blllooooooddd.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    The 3 year old and his dad sat directly in front of me.
    We had read his post earlier in the day and we planned to keep an eye out for them. So when they ended up in the two seats in front of us it was pretty funny. I chatted with both of them. Told him I read his post online. I admitted that my gut reaction was to immediately cast judgment on him, but as I really thought about it my opinion changed. I remember Eddie's first daughter being held side stage for much of the Canadian tour in '05. She was about the same age as this boy. I shared this with the dad.

Should Eddie's parenting choices prove you haters to be wrong? Probably, but I will also tell you this boy was very mature for his age. He told me he begged his dad to go to the show. He told me his new favorite song is Sirens (half of you will hate the 3 yr old now).

The kids highlight of the night had to be Elderly Woman. Ed turned to face us in the back. I'm pretty sure the kid was happy we weren't being subjected to Last Kiss. His dad hoisted him over his head and the boy had both hands high for the big "helloooo!".

Overall dad did a great job. He snuck the lad out 2 songs early to beat the crowd. Also while chatting pre-show he gave me some great tips on how to raise a pj fan. I have a 14 month old son and I am afraid that the inundation of "high fructose" pop music will ruin his taste in music before I can properly pollute his brain with the good stuff. He said the softer acoustic stuff is a good intro for the little ones, but the real game changer has been the dvd's of Imagine and Water on the Road (the boys favorite).

Those are the facts folks. So I guess we have a winner.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I guess it really does come down to knowing your own kid and whether you're dragging them there because you don't have a baby sitter or it's because they want to go.

I've seen some horrible things with children at concerts so I personally would never bring a child but I'm glad this worked out well.

As far as Ed's daughter being at shows, that's completely different, her father is performing and I'm pretty sure there is someone back stage to take care of her should she get antsy or cranky.

Completely different than a fan bringing a child.
    oysterjar wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

I'm not sticking up for anyone on here, and this is not a defense for anyone but I believe what most people are referring to when they say that kids don't belong at an indoor concert is the drug use and excessive alcohol consumption. CPS is a stretch based on the generalities posted here. Nothing specifically stated would (IMO) justifies a CPS case but it is my opinion. A rock concert is basically an indoor bar with live music and is not the safest place for family entertainment IMO.

Agreed about CPS. Interesting though what you say about "not the safest place for family entertainment". That's clearly true, but just like everything in life it's about looking realistically at the risks. Much of my comfort in taking my kids to shows comes from a couple of prior decades of going to shows without kids. As a woman, I dislike at shows all the same things I'd want to protect my kids from: excessive noise (I always have earplugs), open drug use (which, after 1,000+ shows (no not exaggerating) I can honestly say I've only seen in the open like 5 times beyond weed smoke, and since I had kids I rarely am in a bldg where smoking is allowed anyway); belligerent obnoxious people (some high/drunk, some not); and fighting. I have easily been able to avoid/ move away from al of those when encountered, but more importantly. I don't encounter them often at all. Never been thrown up on or peed on, other than my kids. So if that's been my experience 97% of the time, and the other3% I've been able to ditch the annoying people and resume enjoyment of the show, where is it even likely at all anything unsafe or bad will happen with my kids?

I appreciate your opinion, just trying to get to the root of what you view as so unsafe about it?
    oysterjar wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:

Agreed about CPS. Interesting though what you say about "not the safest place for family entertainment". That's clearly true, but just like everything in life it's about looking realistically at the risks. Much of my comfort in taking my kids to shows comes from a couple of prior decades of going to shows without kids. As a woman, I dislike at shows all the same things I'd want to protect my kids from: excessive noise (I always have earplugs), open drug use (which, after 1,000+ shows (no not exaggerating) I can honestly say I've only seen in the open like 5 times beyond weed smoke, and since I had kids I rarely am in a bldg where smoking is allowed anyway); belligerent obnoxious people (some high/drunk, some not); and fighting. I have easily been able to avoid/ move away from al of those when encountered, but more importantly. I don't encounter them often at all. Never been thrown up on or peed on, other than my kids. So if that's been my experience 97% of the time, and the other3% I've been able to ditch the annoying people and resume enjoyment of the show, where is it even likely at all anything unsafe or bad will happen with my kids?

I appreciate your opinion, just trying to get to the root of what you view as so unsafe about it?