3 year-old's First Show Tonight

1789101113»

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    jumbojet wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    .. I just remembered my 1st PJ show ever, '93, when we got in I left my friends in the back where they wanted to be and went up front: front row, center, literally within arms reach of Ed's feet. In the back, the guys behind my sister were scanning the front and commenting on the front row. Then they said "Check out the little chick in the blue jacket! No way she'll last more than one song!" My sister and friends turned around and said "Dude, you have no idea... She'll be fine and outlast everyone!" I survived so much moshing and so many crowd surges.. And had a blast! So probably at your shows there were a few females who needed help... And a few more who we're just fine! ;)

Even if I am not of the same opinion with you, I enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated how you laid out your case and responded patiently to each and every counter-opinion, in a respectful and positive way. So :clap::clap:

Part of me wants you to be right as I find myself wanting to share PJ love with my new-born daughter as early as possible. The other part of me is worried not because a rock concert is a horrible place for a kid, but mostly because of what cosmo said. The kids might have a tendency to reject their parents' habits and likings when they come to a certain age; which might be one of the first phases of forming own identity in the world.

Thank you, that's very kind of you! And congrats on your newborn!

Re: what Cosmo said, and assuming your new baby is your 1st child, I don't think you should worry about turning your kids off of PJ. In the end the truth is as parents we have very little control over what our kids will grow to love as Cosmo illustrated. But it does impact our kids, what we expose them to. So while Cosmo may never listen to Perry Como anymore, I still love what my parents played (Dinah Washington, jazz, reggae). The seeds get planted and are there forever, but you never know which seeds will grow into lifelong loves, and which will just stay dormant in the ground. So you plant as much good stuff as you can in your kids, and then be ready to be pleasantly surprised, horrified, delighted, embarrassed, and pissed by where it all goes as they grow up and you help them navigate that growing up. :D It's both the hardest and most rewarding job ever.

By the way, it's also fun later when kids start training parents on music and life! Mine are still too young, but I still get tickled whenever the Clash or Pearl Jam or whoever pop up on t. V. And my dad says "Hey, there's a story on the Clash on!" Wish I could say he was a fan (my mom turned into a Pink Floyd fan because of hearing me play the all the time), but he knows they exist.
    JM44800 wrote:
    JH6056 wrote:
    I don't buy the "don't bring your kids around drugs and alcohol" bit. I don't do that in front of my kids, but the Winnipeg Folk Festival is one of the biggest of its kind. Hippies. As far as the eye can see. Weed and beer is everywhere. And it's a major family outing. Everyone is happy, not fighting douchebags.

it's not just the substances present, it's the company. and yes, there are plenty of douchebags at rock shows. sober and otherwise.

but again, I don't get all the incredible judgment so many people have displayed in this thread. it's mind boggling. calling the guy extreme names like "fucking idiot". Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's wrong for EVERY kid and his dad. Just because the kid is too young to remember it later is no reason not to do something the kid enjoys. If that were the case people would be leaving their kids in front of the tv until they were 10. But we don't; we go out and do things they like to do. If his kid actually likes going to a rock show, and is well protected, who the fuck are you people to say it's wrong?

You are completely on point. And you're so right - what is up with the people saying you shouldn't do it because the kid won't remember it later?? If they won't remember a PJ show, they won't remember those live Barney shows or the Wiggles either. That's a reason not to take them???

I am sad for the kids of the parent that holds "Will they remember this when they grow up?" as a criteria for whether to take them to do something fun. That's gonna be a loooong infancy-through-6 or 8ish sitting home, watching paint dry until you're allowed to have fun because "now, you'll remember it!" :shock:

As a parent of two beautiful kids, I want to experience as much as I can with them and age doesn't matter. My son is 4 and my daughter will be 1 on the 25th (Happy Early Birthday Etta!) and I am not going to sit around and wait to do things with my kids so they can fully remember it or it's "age appropriate" be it a sporting event or otherwise. I might not be here in 10 years, so why wait? Not trying to think negatively in that I won't be here, but nothing is ever guaranteed in life. The joy I see on my kids face when we do something he/she wants to do is pricelss! I guess I have a different perspective on kids and my relationship with them than a lot of other poeple on this board and that's ok in my book. I get that people will disagree with this and that's just fine, I only wish people could find a more construcitve waying of expressing their opinion. The OP came on here asking for advice and most people took that as an opportunity to bash and insult him without fear of consequence. He asked for advice, not to be called a fucking idiot. And to those that feel there was a hidden agenda or he was just doing to stir the pot, I call bull shit. People use that as an excuse for their inappropriate behavior and is a weak excuse. Why people feel the need to bash someone or insult them because they don't subscribe to their point of view is unfortunate. Can't we have a healthy discussion on the subject and agree to disagree without getting into name calling and insulting someone when they just wanted some advice?

Wow, this hits home so much. My mom died when I was 16. That's obviously much older than 3, but I am so grateful she took me everywhere and showed me everything she loved while she was here. She had no idea she'd leave me at such a young age, but she also knew there were no guarantees. I have the same attitude you do: do what you love, and do what your kids love. Use common sense obviously, but don't be limited by vague fears or other people's negative judgements.
    Double post
  • JM44800 wrote:
    Why people feel the need to bash someone or insult them because they don't subscribe to their point of view is unfortunate. Can't we have a healthy discussion on the subject and agree to disagree without getting into name calling and insulting someone when they just wanted some advice?

this needs to be posted in every thread around here.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I haven't read much of this post at all,....so pardon me if this is redundant.

Maybe Rock concerts at night in stadium venues should have age restrictions,...then most of this discussion would be a non-issue. I figure minimum 10 years old with a adult guardian.
    An outdoor concert in the park during the summer is a totally different environment.
    I was at an outdoor PJ show in Calgary back in 2009, we were sitting on the grass on the hill, well behind the pit,...couple behind us had infant with them, maybe two yrs. At least the kid could stretch out on a blanket, sleep whatever. Still not my thing, but it wasn't a bother to us.
  • JM44800 wrote:
    Why people feel the need to bash someone or insult them because they don't subscribe to their point of view is unfortunate. Can't we have a healthy discussion on the subject and agree to disagree without getting into name calling and insulting someone when they just wanted some advice?

this needs to be posted in every thread around here.

+1
    :clap:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV