Options

confederate flag: offensive or historical? (part II)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I lived in the northeast for 25 years. I've been in the South for the past decade. I saw way more confederate flags (and racist people in general) in the northeast than ive ever seen here. I expected the opposite.

Its a symbol used for hate nationwide. heritage or not it needed to come down in SC. Its disgusting. Im against the cleansing of most of civil war history tho. People are going overboard now. Theyre monuments of mistakes and progress.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    hedonist said:

Last-12, were you and your girls able to be at the flag-lowering this morning?

...and Thirty, I've seen chadwick here and there but think he may still be rehabbing his knees - and possibly in the throes of love :)

If Last-12 did make it up to Columbia, I wish him safe travels. It was a madhouse on the roads this morning, can only imagine it got worse closer to the lowering.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, Hedo!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    hedonist said:

Last-12, were you and your girls able to be at the flag-lowering this morning?

...and Thirty, I've seen chadwick here and there but think he may still be rehabbing his knees - and possibly in the throes of love :)

No, I had to work yesterday. Plus, I'm over an hour an a half away from Columbia. I was fine watching it come down on the tv.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    This is a prime example of why some Americans seem to misunderstand the causes of the Civil War. If we can't look at our history, ALL of our history, and be honest about what happened and the intentions behind actions and decisions then we will never be able to move forward.

npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/13/421744763/how-textbooks-can-teach-different-versions-of-history?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150713
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    riotgrl said:

This is a prime example of why some Americans seem to misunderstand the causes of the Civil War. If we can't look at our history, ALL of our history, and be honest about what happened and the intentions behind actions and decisions then we will never be able to move forward.

npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/13/421744763/how-textbooks-can-teach-different-versions-of-history?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150713

that was a great artical, thanks' !

Godfather.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Here in town and out west in Loxahachee, FL hundreds celebrate the confederate flag and its heritage.....a video on the story a couple days ago.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-palm-confederate-flag-rally-20150711-story.html

PEACE
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMoWMVypq8

HAHHAHHAHHA had to share

Godfather.
  • Options
    great song ! and no it's not Ted or Kid Rock

Godfather.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    RR, be interesting to hear reaction of crowd when Kid Rock brings out the flag. Any boos? All cheers?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Kid rock is from detroit. Why the hell would he care?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    callen said:

RR, be interesting to hear reaction of crowd when Kid Rock brings out the flag. Any boos? All cheers?

rr, quote on the show...."No flag,just a brief mention of an individual's right to support whatever they want.No protests and a fairly redneck free evening(mostly)."

I was there also for a few songs outside listening, everything seemed pretty cool to me.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    g under p said:

callen said:

rr, quote on the show...."No flag,just a brief mention of an individual's right to support whatever they want.No protests and a fairly redneck free evening(mostly)."

I was there also for a few songs outside listening, everything seemed pretty cool to me.

Peace
    Thanks G.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

The fact that I see dozens of Confederate flags here in my home states of Maryland & West Virginia ought to tell you something about the people flying/displaying them...

It does NOT symbolize courage... it symbolizes narrow-minded, uneducated, racist fuckin rednecks. Period.

Sounds like you are describing the community activists in my town who still proudly wear the "Hands up don't Shoot" t-shirts in my town.... Minus that acceptable racist word redneck part of course.
  • Options
    narrow mindwd.... ummmmm, this is funny it's like the pot calling the kettle black, if one refuses to see or understand the views and opinions of others than wouldn't that person be "narrow minded as well" and he even uses the term "redneck" like it's a bad thing, I would say that one who uses these terms and words in a mannor to belittle another group of people most likely suffers from some form of mental disorder..maybe bi-polar or depression to some extent, it's just guess on my part but all the signs seem to be there.

Godfather.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hello there thirty bills undone & stuff
    you're alright your own darn self, sir

i like the general lee '69 dodge charger, but make mine black like this here
    https://youtu.be/m3VsT6nQgx4

by the way - waylon kicks a whole lot of ass
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    ^^^ Right on, Chadwick!

Funny how people assume all country stars- and especially their fans- are southern redneck conservatives. I've got close to 50 country LP's on my shelves- among others- Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Kris, Emmy Lou, Patsy, Dolly, even some Ernest Tubb (why not!). All great stuff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.