Options

confederate flag: offensive or historical? (part II)

Comments

• Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    More people express outrage for the offensive nature of this flag than people who feel anything about this flag.

If people would shut the fuck about this stupid issue it would cease to be an issue.

What a waste of thinking.

Political correct action only keeps these stupid discussions going. Ideally this shit would fade away and everybody would feel like an individual and part of a society but idiot liberals always revive these decisive things.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I think it would be more appropriate to talk about this racist flag here.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    otter said:

More people express outrage for the offensive nature of this flag than people who feel anything about this flag.

If people would shut the fuck about this stupid issue it would cease to be an issue.

Political correct action only keeps these stupid discussions going. Ideally this shit would fade away and everybody would feel like an individual and part of a society but idiot liberals always revive these decisive things.

We should stop talking about racism too, I'm sure it would just go away if we do.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    otter said:

So how long will this natural fading away take? Guess it takes more than 150 years or so, since the pro-flag people keep dredging it up, but just asking.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I am sickened by the pro flag people finding any picture they can of a black person holding the confederate flag. I think there's a total of 4 on the internet and they use the same 4 when ever the debate comes up.

I know smart people that sound so stupid when they are trying to have this arguement. I have found that there are 3 main points they try and make. 1) it's a battle flag, not a slave flag. 2) it's heritage, not hate. 3) you wouldn't understand if your not from the south.

None of these three arguments hold any water. Almost 100% of the arguments end with "you just don't understand because you're from the north." Is that really what you want to base your argument on?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    It is a perfect artifact for a museum.

If people want to fly it/wear it in their private lives...well...I guess that is freedom. They have the right to do that and I have the right to look down on them for doing so.

It has no business being displayed at or above a government building.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Short of Daisy duke leaning over with those shorts on the hood of the General Lee,I think it's Racist.
    Im a Southerner,I see dip shit bubbas everyday driving around with those flags on license plates and stickers.I feel if it is offensive,why hurt one segment of our population.Thats heartless.

Put it in Confederate Cemetaries,Museums,Learning centers and memorials.I get it no need to run from the past but It should not be flying at the Capitol.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Have a few confederate soldiers buried at end of my road and they get the confederate flag treatment during veterans days. Some flags added to entry of cemetery as well. Interesting.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    How to recognize a prominent Republican who is no longer running for President:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211

I am sickened by the pro flag people finding any picture they can of a black person holding the confederate flag. I think there's a total of 4 on the internet and they use the same 4 when ever the debate comes up.

I know smart people that sound so stupid when they are trying to have this arguement. I have found that there are 3 main points they try and make. 1) it's a battle flag, not a slave flag. 2) it's heritage, not hate. 3) you wouldn't understand if your not from the south.

None of these three arguments hold any water. Almost 100% of the arguments end with "you just don't understand because you're from the north." Is that really what you want to base your argument on?

i think most reasonably intelligent northerners fully understand what is about. it's about racism and an ideal that some are trying to hold onto. as for it being a battle flag...they lost. why are they celebrating losing?

• Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    The flag should not be flown on any government buildings however, if a person feels they want to fly it on their house, car, etc. then that is their 1st Amendment Right. Just like it is a persons right to burn, or step on the flag. I do not agree with it, but that is the beauty of the United States.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Thought this was a new thread and got excited to see Cosmo posting.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

That's good stuff there
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    The symbolism behind that battle flag still flying is pretty disturbing...maybe I'm reading too much into it but to have it still flying seems to suggest that the battle is still on and is yet to be won.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    I'm thinking it would be helpful to have all these threads about the Confederate flag and the shootings merged rather than have three of them. Yes? No?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575

The flag should not be flown on any government buildings however, if a person feels they want to fly it on their house, car, etc. then that is their 1st Amendment Right. Just like it is a persons right to burn, or step on the flag. I do not agree with it, but that is the beauty of the United States.

Of course. It's their right to fly a Nazi flag if they want to (although I actually thought it was illegal to burn the US flag... did they change that law?). I just can't fucking believe that the SC government is still apparently refusing. My mind is actually boggled over this one..... Surely they'll give in soon... Right? I mean, the governor of SC is now saying it should be taken down. Just who is it making this decision if the governor can't make it happen??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul said:

Of course. It's their right to fly a Nazi flag if they want to (although I actually thought it was illegal to burn the US flag... did they change that law?). I just can't fucking believe that the SC government is still apparently refusing. My mind is actually boggled over this one..... Surely they'll give in soon... Right? I mean, the governor of SC is now saying it should be taken down. Just who is it making this decision if the governor can't make it happen??
    If it goes to vote sure it will pass. Like to see a politician now giving flag stamp of approval.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    9 states have license plate options with the Confederate flag on it.
  • Options
    This is what I was talking about earlier. It be great if the guy who did this DID represent the community (though I wish he had just cut it down instead of shoot it).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/douglas-anthony-cooper/outrage-sniper-shoots-dow_b_7624796.html

In a crime that has outraged locals, a sniper has reportedly shot down the beloved Confederate flag that traditionally graces the Statehouse in Columbia, South Carolina. "This was clearly one very disturbed individual," said Council Chairman Harvey "Harve" Jeffcoat. "And I can tell you with certainty that he does not represent our community."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Smellyman said:

JimmyV said:

That's good stuff there
    Of course Lindsey Graham is now follwing suit and Walmart is going to stop selling confederate flag merchandise. It's a shame that a tragedy has to happen for these people to do the right thing. At least it's happening.
  • Options
    I'd prefer to talk about the victims in the shooting thread. I feel it's a disservice to them to talk about a symbol of hate on the same thread. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    right on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The comparisons to the Nazi flag are fair given both are truly relics that significantly represent shameful eras. As collectible pieces, they are fine; however flying over the top of a state building is entirely different and quite frankly... stunning.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Is this the correct pic for the state of Mississippi?
  • Options

I'd prefer to talk about the victims in the shooting thread. I feel it's a disservice to them to talk about a symbol of hate on the same thread. Just my opinion.

Good thought there, L12.

• Options
    This may be a double post but is this the correct pic for the state of Mississippi?
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    So the question is historic or offensive. Personally I would say it was historic and a symbol for "southern pride". Which is all well and good. But the KKK adopted this flag and made it a symbol of their beliefs and ideals. This alone makes it offensive.
  • Options

So the question is historic or offensive. Personally I would say it was historic and a symbol for "southern pride". Which is all well and good. But the KKK adopted this flag and made it a symbol of their beliefs and ideals. This alone makes it offensive.

There are many who propose that idea, Stickman, and that is often their main argument for keeping that flag.

But I'd even argue the idea of Southern Pride. I'm not even sure what that kind of pride is. I mean, should I have "California Pride"? I think of pride as a good feeling about something one has achieved like, "I'm proud of having leaned how to improvise on the guitar in a mixolydian scale". How can I have California Pride? Did I somehow magically convince my father to move to California after WWII and arrange for him to marry my mother and procreate with her so that I could be born in California for the purpose of gaining California Pride? And do I get a flag for doing that? I don't get how that works.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    “The Confederate flag is one of those symbols that should really only be seen on t-shirts, belt buckles and bumper stickers to help the rest of us identify the worst people in the world,” Oliver said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5I_BB8Nt84
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Smellyman said:

“The Confederate flag is one of those symbols that should really only be seen on t-shirts, belt buckles and bumper stickers to help the rest of us identify the worst people in the world,” Oliver said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5I_BB8Nt84

Great stuff. If you haven't seen his show, get on it people.