Options

confederate flag: offensive or historical? (part II)

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    edited July 2015
    GF I am not looking to bait you or judge you. Others might be. but I think on the whole I have treated you fairly and respectfully but for a few jokes a while ago . if you feel otherwise please tell me via pm.

Part of all of this is the seeming inability or desire to be honest about what was, what has been and what continues to be.

Frankly, until open and honest discussion and action behind that discussion occurs , nothing will ever change for the benefit of all.

The fact it is so difficult is all the more reason to push through and grow as individuals, communitites and as a country.

When or how can it change otherwise?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

GF I am not looking to bait you or judge you. Others might be. but I think on the whole I have treated you fairly and respectfully but for a few jokes a while ago . if you feel otherwise please tell me via pm.

Part of all of this is the seeming inability or desire to be honest about what was, what has been and what continues to be.

Frankly, until open and honest discussion and action behind that discussion occurs , nothing will ever change for the benefit of all.

The fact it is so difficult is all the more reason to push through and grow as individuals, communitites and as a country.

agreed ! "The fact it is so difficult is all the more reason to push through and grow as individuals, communitites and as a country." When or how can it change otherwise?

growing as individuals is something that means different things to different people, but I can tell you that some people will alway be aginst the grain so to speak..this war of the south will live a lot longer just because it held the rebel atitude and that is something that will never go away, in fact that flag symbloizes the Rebel spirit more than anything in my opinion, it's like telling the government "we are a free people and we'll fight for it"

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,577

mickeyrat said:

agreed ! "The fact it is so difficult is all the more reason to push through and grow as individuals, communitites and as a country." When or how can it change otherwise?

growing as individuals is something that means different things to different people, but I can tell you that some people will alway be aginst the grain so to speak..this war of the south will live a lot longer just because it held the rebel atitude and that is something that will never go away, in fact that flag symbloizes the Rebel spirit more than anything in my opinion, it's like telling the government "we are a free people and we'll fight for it"

Godfather.

So what sense does it make for the government to fly it??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

is the government still flying it ?

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

is the government still flying it ?

Godfather.

Seriously? That is what the entire debate is about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited July 2015

you all must not read up on the history of that war, it was actually bloodier than just about any war after it, generations of southern familys still live in those areas and that flag represents the courage and loss of family members but the race card holders wouldn't understand that, btw my brother n laws family members fought in that war and he has pictures and even a old rifle past down from generation to generation and that's heritage and pride...but go ahead and pull your race card and I'll see if I can give a shit for it...probably not thou.

Godfather.

No it does not. That's absurd. Most people fly that flag because they are racist. I don't know whereyou live GF but you really should stop kidding yourself with that BS. Most of the people that fly that flag don't even know how to spell civil war let alone know any relative that fought in it. Seriously? The war was almost 200 years ago.

Edit: I am not talking about your specific relatives that fought in the war GF.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, that is one bright, insightful grown up young man....I liked what he said about putting one self in someone else's shoes. There one might better understand the issue of this flag flying over government buildings....OUTSTANDING!

This part of what he had to say hits the nail on the head,.....

It wasn't until well into my college years when I began to start thinking for myself. I no longer let the people I was raised by tell me how to view every issue and tried my best to be more open-minded. I believe that one of the most important things for us to do as humans is to try putting ourselves in others' shoes before we make any kind of judgement.

Although I never meant anything racist by sporting the Confederate flag, I couldn't help but think of what some of my black friends thought about it. I really can't think of a time that I was confronted about it. Did it not offend them? Were they too nice or afraid to confront me about it? The more I researched about the history of the flag, the worse I felt. What I had been told about its history was wrong. Thousands of southerners still fly the flag with no racist intent. They still defend the good things they've been told about the flag. They, like I once was, are WRONG. The flag is a symbol of a way of life that was wrong. Not that it needs to be stated, but slavery is one of the most evil and cruel things this world has ever seen. The Confederate flag represents this evil. Where is the pride in that? The Confederate flag is also a sign of division. How can you truly be a patriot of this country and fly this flag? Do we really need to fly a flag to show that we are southern, or that we like to hunt and fish, especially when it's offensive to so many? It is not a kind thing, a good thing, or the right thing to do.

To those against removing the flag, I do not think you are a bad person. I know what it once meant to me. I do, however, challenge you to do your research. Step outside of what your family taught you and be open-minded. Even if you believe in a different history lesson, is flying a flag worth the pain it causes others? Please try to view these issues from the other side of the argument.
    To those I may have offended in the past, who never confronted me, I apologize. I was WRONG.

As our country continues to move forward on equality issues, I believe the only place for the Confederate flag is in our history books.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    No wonder this flag is so divisive in America.
    You Americans can't even decide in your own country what it symbolizes.
    The outside world sees it as a symbol of redneck racism and slavery.
    What is taking your country so long to see this aspect?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    edited July 2015
    The fact that I see dozens of Confederate flags here in my home states of Maryland & West Virginia ought to tell you something about the people flying/displaying them...

It does NOT symbolize courage... it symbolizes narrow-minded, uneducated, racist fuckin rednecks. Period.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I don't think there is anyone who honestly doesn't see that aspect, just a few million people who refuse to admit it.
    Our culture of freedom (which mostly entails talking about freedom in between our slavish devotion to working and consuming) makes people downright obstinate.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Done deal. Should be signed into law for removal today. Maybe theyshould replace it with a white one instead. Thats historical too.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/09/south-carolina-rep-jenny-horne-on-her-historic-and-surprisingly-personal-speech-it-needed-to-be-done/?tid=sm_fb

Now onto Georgia changing the State flag.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015

Assure you those flying the flag give two shits what foreigners think. My whole philosophy is same as I find flip flops and socls comfortable at times. And don't much care if I'm ridiculed by freinds and loved ones. HA.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015
    Look ladies and gents think your trying to hard.

Some , many I assume, that fly the flAg have racial issues and some may not. As long as it's not flying on public funded lproperty who cares.

We all like being on teams. Just natural instinctual human trait. I have a ridiculous stickman sticker on my vehicle. My team. Again I might add creating ridicule and laughter from family and friends.

This reminds me of Cramer not wearing the aids pin.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I will give the confederate flag credit for being a solid looking flag.

That said, the Hugo Boss designed Nazi uniforms were pretty solid looking as well.

America fits our boys like they are working for a burger joint ...

Is fashion evil?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I will give the confederate flag credit for being a solid looking flag.

That said, the Hugo Boss designed Nazi uniforms were pretty solid looking as well.

America fits our boys like they are working for a burger joint ...

Is fashion evil?

With the exception of those damn 13 button dress blue pants, Navy garb is very comfortable. Untucked shirts!!!!!

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Was glad to wake up to news that the House voted to remove the flag from the state house grounds and move it to the museum. Local news stations in Columbia were televising the House proceedings and it went on really late into the night. I was watching it in bed last night around 11:30 and couldn't believe it was taking them so long to pass this simple vote. I'm of the opinion that all those that wanted amendments or other compromises should just be voted out of office. It was ridiculous listening to them pander on about other flags, proposals, etc. Next steps are to have the bill ratified by the House Speaker and Senate President Pro Tempore then have the governor sign it into law. That should all be done sometime today. The flag will probably come down tomorrow and the flagpole and fence will be removed at a later date (my guess would be at the end of this month).

When the debate reared back up I really didn't expect anything to be done. Good to see my state moving forward.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    edited July 2015
    Funny. I'm from Texas and haven't seen a Confederate flag in...well shit...probably years actually...no joke. It's not a hot item here...lots of Texas flags and U.S. flags, but no real Confederate flags being paraded around or shown off.

So I drive to Ohio last week for my son's football camp. I get up north, and in Indiana...I see more Confederate flags than I've probably seen in a lifetime. On trucks, stickers, in front yards, on businesses. I thought I had made a wrong turn. And I still saw them sporadically all the way until we got to our destination in the Akron area. And the best one of all...the one I wish I had gotten a picture of...on the 4th of July there was what appeared to be a party going on as we drove down a neighborhood street near Walsh University. It appeared to be a big family or group of friends doing a cookout...US flags all over the place...BBQ pit rolling smoke...and hanging off their front porch...a Confederate flag. And the folks were African American. There wasn't anything spray painted on it or protest signs around it. It was just what appeared to be 40 or 50 small US flags around the parameter of their yard, and a big US flag and and big Confederate flag hanging from each side of the porch.

I don't really give two shits about the Confederate flag really. They could burn them all as far as I'm concerned. Now we have people talking about how we need to bring down the Jefferson memorial in DC. Seriously? We are a dumb society, unable to think for ourselves, unable to make decisions, unable to take care of ourselves. They take the Dukes of Hazzard off TV because of the General Lee?? Give me a fucking break. Probably one of the most wholesome, positive, non-offensive shows that ever aired, but now it's offensive because people were told it's offensive. That is how dumb we are. Yet some of the other disgusting trash that's on TV is perfectly fine. Watch an episode of Tosh.0 and some of the racist comments that are made on that show...or Family Guy...or any number of other shit shows. Then you have companies like Walmart who pull all Confederate related items, yet they will gladly make you a cake with an Isis flag. Amazon pulls Confederate items, but you can still buy Mein Kampf. Does anyone with even a couple of active brain cells really think the Confederate flag represents more evil than Isis or Hitler? To think we live in such an amazing age, with unbelievable potential, and it is wasted on the dumbest generation of human beings that have ever existed.
    Post edited by Shawshank on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Shawshank, your last paragraph resonated here. Kudos.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited July 2015
    I was also surprised this got done. I guess it takes the death of one of their own to move on such a deeply rooted issue.

I just spent a week in Indiana. Hearing the perspectives up there were embarrassing. I heard several times that people were going to buy up as many confederate flags and t-shirts as they could. I asked them why. Many of them said because the government was going to ban them. I was really shocked because I thought the people of my birth state weren't that ignorant.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Flag is being removed from the SC state house grounds tomorrow at 10 am.

I only wish it could have been scheduled for Saturday. Not because it needs to stay up another day, but because I work downtown close to the state house and it's going to be a fucking zoo tomorrow.
  • Options
    Wonder if charges will be dropped againsy that woman and that dude

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    the most important flag confederates ever waved was the white one. it is the only one that has ever mattered.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I live less than an hour from Canton! Did you get rained on? We have been drenched for weeks on end! There is serious abundance of country wannabes around here, and I wouldn't be surprised to find more rebel flags here than in the real south. Same with Indiana, there is a rrealovercompensation issue at play.
    Shawshank said:

Funny. I'm from Texas and haven't seen a Confederate flag in...well shit...probably years actually...no joke. It's not a hot item here...lots of Texas flags and U.S. flags, but no real Confederate flags being paraded around or shown off.

So I drive to Ohio last week for my son's football camp. I get up north, and in Indiana...I see more Confederate flags than I've probably seen in a lifetime. On trucks, stickers, in front yards, on businesses. I thought I had made a wrong turn. And I still saw them sporadically all the way until we got to our destination in the Akron area. And the best one of all...the one I wish I had gotten a picture of...on the 4th of July there was what appeared to be a party going on as we drove down a neighborhood street near Walsh University. It appeared to be a big family or group of friends doing a cookout...US flags all over the place...BBQ pit rolling smoke...and hanging off their front porch...a Confederate flag. And the folks were African American. There wasn't anything spray painted on it or protest signs around it. It was just what appeared to be 40 or 50 small US flags around the parameter of their yard, and a big US flag and and big Confederate flag hanging from each side of the porch.

I don't really give two shits about the Confederate flag really. They could burn them all as far as I'm concerned. Now we have people talking about how we need to bring down the Jefferson memorial in DC. Seriously? We are a dumb society, unable to think for ourselves, unable to make decisions, unable to take care of ourselves. They take the Dukes of Hazzard off TV because of the General Lee?? Give me a fucking break. Probably one of the most wholesome, positive, non-offensive shows that ever aired, but now it's offensive because people were told it's offensive. That is how dumb we are. Yet some of the other disgusting trash that's on TV is perfectly fine. Watch an episode of Tosh.0 and some of the racist comments that are made on that show...or Family Guy...or any number of other shit shows. Then you have companies like Walmart who pull all Confederate related items, yet they will gladly make you a cake with an Isis flag. Amazon pulls Confederate items, but you can still buy Mein Kampf. Does anyone with even a couple of active brain cells really think the Confederate flag represents more evil than Isis or Hitler? To think we live in such an amazing age, with unbelievable potential, and it is wasted on the dumbest generation of human beings that have ever existed.

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    rgambs said:

I live less than an hour from Canton! Did you get rained on? We have been drenched for weeks on end!

Yeah, we got one day where it was a deluge, and it didn't seem like the rain was going to stop. They had those kids out there working their asses off in it, until it started lightning. lol After that there was light rain off and on, but man the 4th, when they had their actual games at the Football Hall of Fame field, it was soooooo hot and muggy. I like football, but I'm not the typical sports freak dad. My wife and I let my son play football, because he loves it with all his heart, and it's his passion. We were in Canton because he got selected to be a part of the USA Football development games, which is awesome.

Sorry for the derailment...now back to bashing the Dukes and the General Lee. :)

• Options
    Shawshank... good post about 6-7 back or so.

I watched Hank Williams Jr on Saturday. I do not care to get into how I found myself attending this show. What I would say though is that as much as you read about backwater, hillbilly, shitkickers. I never have been immersed among so many of them.

Hank wore an NRA hat for a portion of the show. He proceeded to make fun of gays during another portion of the show. People loved it.

Funny thing is... nearly every person I talked to seemed like the type to give you the shirt off their back. I genuinely liked the people I spoke to. I think if I wasn't so white or heterosexual though, this might not be the case. Sad. There wasn't one person of color there. Given the themes of ol' Hank's songs... I'm not surprised though.

I've done a really poor job of explaining what I'm trying to get across. I still think I have to digest this event and process what I experienced. I guess you can say I have been weirded out. I mean wtf? Seriously?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    By the way... where is Chadwick?

One of the most unique people on these forums never comes here anymore.

That's the shits.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Shawshank... good post about 6-7 back or so.

I watched Hank Williams Jr on Saturday. I do not care to get into how I found myself attending this show. What I would say though is that as much as you read about backwater, hillbilly, shitkickers. I never have been immersed among so many of them.

Hank wore an NRA hat for a portion of the show. He proceeded to make fun of gays during another portion of the show. People loved it.

Funny thing is... nearly every person I talked to seemed like the type to give you the shirt off their back. I genuinely liked the people I spoke to. I think if I wasn't so white or heterosexual though, this might not be the case. Sad. There wasn't one person of color there. Given the themes of ol' Hank's songs... I'm not surprised though.

I've done a really poor job of explaining what I'm trying to get across. I still think I have to digest this event and process what I experienced. I guess you can say I have been weirded out. I mean wtf? Seriously?

I think you described it pretty well! It's an incongruous and hard to explain scenario. They certainly would give the shirts off their backs, as long as you aren't some kind of minority. It's just like the famous southern hospitality which exists only for certain people from many.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/confederate-flag-debate-hill

Hilarious...if you need further proof of what a joke the current GOP is in Congress here it is
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Last-12, were you and your girls able to be at the flag-lowering this morning?

...and Thirty, I've seen chadwick here and there but think he may still be rehabbing his knees - and possibly in the throes of love :)