NHL Playoffs 2012 Edition

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Then the same can be said for Lou. In 7 games they scored a grand total of 8 goals and they were in a game 7. Yes Lou stunk in some of those games but he was pretty good in 3 of those. Just a little over 1 goal a game.

This still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz ... ure=fvwrel

henrik and daniel were both in the top 4 in scoring last playoffs ... they can't do everything ... i'd easily trade for them for any two leafs ... heck ... any 4 leafs ...

It's not always how much you score...it's the timing that separates the big game players from those that want to be big game players...big game players score when their team needs it. I'm not saying they can do it all. I believe 3 of those Bruins wins were by shutout...not much Lou can do their other than toss a shut out himself.

I just think it unfair for people to blame Lou every time Vancouver struggles in the playoffs...with the make up of this team they will not win the cup...they need some tinkering in the off season...maybe not as much as Philly did...but adding some gritty players that can score would be a start...and get rid of Burrows...I would have moved Burrows off that top line and put Kassien their.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • doesn't lous contract run until 2020?

nhlnumbers.com has his contract running until end of 2014-2015 season with a cap hit of 6.714 million for these last 4 years of the contract
    "I want to Rock & Roll all night, and part of everyday"
    Sept.11/05 Kitchener, Ontario
    May 10/10 Buffalo, New York
    Sept.11 & Sept 12/2011, Toronto, Ontario
    Sept. 15/11 Hamilton, Ontario
    Oct. 12/13 Buffalo, New York
    Oct 16/14 Detroit, Michigan
    May 10/16 Toronto, Ontario
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It's not always how much you score...it's the timing that separates the big game players from those that want to be big game players...big game players score when their team needs it. I'm not saying they can do it all. I believe 3 of those Bruins wins were by shutout...not much Lou can do their other than toss a shut out himself.

I just think it unfair for people to blame Lou every time Vancouver struggles in the playoffs...with the make up of this team they will not win the cup...they need some tinkering in the off season...maybe not as much as Philly did...but adding some gritty players that can score would be a start...and get rid of Burrows...I would have moved Burrows off that top line and put Kassien their.

my problem with lou is that overall he is a very good goaltender but he lets in the worst goals at the worst time ... if you look at the goals he gave up last playoffs - they were the worst ... side of the net ... behind the net ... awful ... canucks play a very sound defensive system - his numbers are gonna look good ...

i get what you are saying about the sedins but everyone has got to play to their strengths ... it would be foolish of them to try and be something they are not ...
    doesn't lous contract run until 2020?

nhlnumbers.com has his contract running until end of 2014-2015 season with a cap hit of 6.714 million for these last 4 years of the contract

If those numbers are correct then he's not a burdon and would be easily moved. The Nashville goalie is in the million plus range. I don't think their moving Lou though. They need to move Shneider and Burrows for some grit that can score.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

my problem with lou is that overall he is a very good goaltender but he lets in the worst goals at the worst time ... if you look at the goals he gave up last playoffs - they were the worst ... side of the net ... behind the net ... awful ... canucks play a very sound defensive system - his numbers are gonna look good ...

i get what you are saying about the sedins but everyone has got to play to their strengths ... it would be foolish of them to try and be something they are not ...

I think Vancouver needs some changes moving Burrows and Scheider for some grit that can score would be nice.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I think Vancouver needs some changes moving Burrows and Scheider for some grit that can score would be nice.

i think the stanley cup is the hardest championship to win ... so many things have to go your way and ultimately, it all has to come together - goaltending, grit, role players, special teams and luck ... i mean look at pitt/philly ... if the linesman doesn't miss that brutal call - series could be a lot different ...

there is no way you can guarantee success ... all you can hope for is have all the pieces and go from there ... it think vancouver has the make up to win ... definitely could use another scoring threat but every team could use something ...
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    doesn't lous contract run until 2020?

If those numbers are correct then he's not a burdon and would be easily moved. The Nashville goalie is in the million plus range. I don't think their moving Lou though. They need to move Shneider and Burrows for some grit that can score.

Capgeek.com has his contract at 5.33 million until end of 2018 at least and says hes not a UFA until 2022, so now if thats right then its not a insane amount of money but the years are insane. either way i doubt any team will be willing to take on that much money for that many years
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    And for the record, the pressure ALWAYS get to Lu... Unless he's playing in the Olympics, that is!

dude was awful in the olympics too! ... canada won DESPITE him ... if you look at all the goals scored on him during the semi and finals ... all but 1 were weak ...
    He wasn't awful at all, and he kicked ass in the gold medal game.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    And for the record, the pressure ALWAYS get to Lu... Unless he's playing in the Olympics, that is!

dude was awful in the olympics too! ... canada won DESPITE him ... if you look at all the goals scored on him during the semi and finals ... all but 1 were weak ...

Lou may be part of the problem in Vancouver, but another part of the problem are the Sedins...they are easily intimated...Boston showed us that. In the NHL playoffs you can't be intimated.
    Eeerrrr... the Sedins are two of the very best players in the league, I do not think they are a problem at all!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Then the same can be said for Lou. In 7 games they scored a grand total of 8 goals and they were in a game 7. Yes Lou stunk in some of those games but he was pretty good in 3 of those. Just a little over 1 goal a game.

This still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz ... ure=fvwrel

henrik and daniel were both in the top 4 in scoring last playoffs ... they can't do everything ... i'd easily trade for them for any two leafs ... heck ... any 4 leafs ...

Who is blaming Lu?? No one. He's not the reason they sucked so bad the first 3 games, and no one here in Vancouver thinks that. Also, I think it's totally ridiculous to talk about the Sedins that way (with all due respect).
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i think the stanley cup is the hardest championship to win ... so many things have to go your way and ultimately, it all has to come together - goaltending, grit, role players, special teams and luck ... i mean look at pitt/philly ... if the linesman doesn't miss that brutal call - series could be a lot different ...

there is no way you can guarantee success ... all you can hope for is have all the pieces and go from there ... it think vancouver has the make up to win ... definitely could use another scoring threat but every team could use something ...
    Yes... and I can't ignore the fact that bad luck was actually an unusually big factor in the first 3 games (among many other things, of course).
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yes... and I can't ignore the fact that bad luck was actually an unusually big factor in the first 3 games (among many other things, of course).

:lol::lol: :fp: :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

:lol::lol: :fp: :lol::lol:
    What's the joke? It's true... So many things just went right for LA in terms of bouncing pucks and shit, and nothing went right for the Nucks. I'm not suggesting that's why they didn't win, but it sure didn't help, and did help LA. I'm not making it up man. Experts are saying the same thing.
    it's true...la has no talented players or a Vezina caliber goalie ;):lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEcElmD ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQe8vm7QD0

it's what i've been saying ... he lets in the worst goals at the worst times ... gives the other team momentum ... gave up 2 goals in both the semi and gold medal games ... and the first one in each was brutal ...
    norm wrote:
    it's true...la has no talented players or a Vezina caliber goalie ;):lol:
    What are you talking about?? Who said LA wasn't playing super well? Not me! Quick is standing on his head!
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

it's what i've been saying ... he lets in the worst goals at the worst times ... gives the other team momentum ... gave up 2 goals in both the semi and gold medal games ... and the first one in each was brutal ...
    I have said before that he is not generally good under pressure. But I don't think he deserves to be crapped on the way some people crap on him either (especially right now, when he has actually not played badly at all). A team can't win the President's cup or get to the Stanley Cup final with a shitty goalie, and national teams can't win gold medals with a shitty goalie either.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I have said before that he is not generally good under pressure. But I don't think he deserves to be crapped on the way some people crap on him either (especially right now, when he has actually not played badly at all). A team can't win the President's cup or get to the Stanley Cup final with a shitty goalie, and national teams can't win gold medals with a shitty goalie either.

sooo ... on one hand you say he is not good under pressure and on the other you're saying he isn't shitty ... :lol:
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    They just played "This Is Shangri-La" at the Caps game
  • The CBC guys said it best, "one hand hunter has to be happy hes getting great play from his goalie, but he also has to be a little worried that his goalie HAS to play this good"
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Congratulation to Marty Brodeur for the playoff shutout record. Here is his quote, "I've played a lot of games," he said. "In the playoffs, there are a lot of tight games. Sometimes you need shutouts to win some of them. I have been fortunate to play on great teams that sacrificed themselves in order to get shutouts. I am a product of that."
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I know it's still 2 years away but who's the front runner for our Olympic goaltender...Carey Price...no experience...but not a ton of choices available.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I know it's still 2 years away but who's the front runner for our Olympic goaltender...Carey Price...no experience...but not a ton of choices available.

ya ... i'm not sure ... was actually thinking about that recently ... i think even in the last few years - the goaltending at the world juniors has been average so, not many young guys coming up ... i know i wouldn't pick any of the ones that was at the last olympics ... maybe brodeur as a mentor/coach ...

short list now: price, elliot and smith?
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

ya ... i'm not sure ... was actually thinking about that recently ... i think even in the last few years - the goaltending at the world juniors has been average so, not many young guys coming up ... i know i wouldn't pick any of the ones that was at the last olympics ... maybe brodeur as a mentor/coach ...

short list now: price, elliot and smith?

Good chance LA will move Bernier...he's suupose to be a real good young goalie...so we may see what he can do...but other than that much choice. At least with Price he's somewhat used to playing in a pressure situation in Montreal...

wow! nashville :o
    That Nashville series win shouldn't surprise...they have 3 franchise players Rinne, Weber, Suter and a very good supporting cast. They might tough here on out.

Howard was good tonight...didn't seem like much else was good for Detroit tonight. Trading a first round pick for Quincy now seems even worse than I first suspected.

Pens lucky fleury showed up and that Malkin didn't cost them the game.

Nashville just plays a great team game. Rinne is über confident now.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    norm wrote:
    Talk about overkill. Thats way too much imo. This wasnt Dale Hunter hitting Pierre Turgeon.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    norm wrote:
    Talk about overkill. Thats way too much imo. This wasnt Dale Hunter hitting Pierre Turgeon.

I do think 25 games is a little much, but maybe this guy will finally learn his lesson? If he continues his play after this, I don't think he'll be in the NHL much longer.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley