NHL Playoffs 2012 Edition

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    norm wrote:
    Talk about overkill. Thats way too much imo. This wasnt Dale Hunter hitting Pierre Turgeon.

If you watch the suspension video from Shanahan, it almost seems like it isn't enough. Not saying that it isn't....25 games is more than enough. Torres has a history of head shots and Shanahan is sending a message to him with this suspension. Similar to the suspension for Matt Cooke last year. You just can't keep going after guys heads like that.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Brutal goal given up by Thomas. Caps lead late in the 3rd.

Caps lead series 3-2
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    There is a chance that every underdog advances to the 2nd round in the Eastern Conference.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Gary Bettman has got to be holding his head in his hands at the thought of losing Detroit, Chicago, New York, Vancouver, Boston, New Jersey, and Philly/Pitt all in the first round. What do you suppose the rating will be for game 1 of a Panthers/Preds final?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Gary Bettman has got to be holding his head in his hands at the thought of losing Detroit, Chicago, New York, Vancouver, Boston, New Jersey, and Philly/Pitt all in the first round. What do you suppose the rating will be for game 1 of a Panthers/Preds final?
    Absolutely... I know I wouldn't care.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm pretty certain that unlike the world series or superbowl no one with the exception of a few die hard fans outside the competing teams cup finals cities in the US give a damn about hockey...so it will be big in Canada and big in those cities that are competing for the cup and the rest of the USA will be watching basketball.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Good job Ottawa putting the Rangers on the brink. Lets go Vancouver...Lets go Pittsburgh!!!!
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'm pretty certain that unlike the world series or superbowl no one with the exception of a few die hard fans outside the competing teams cup finals cities in the US give a damn about hockey...so it will be big in Canada and big in those cities that are competing for the cup and the rest of the USA will be watching basketball.

Well that depends if you played the sport like have (goalie) I will watch even if the Bruins are bounced from the first round. I'd rather watch a hockey game over a basketball game that is if the Celtics are gone from the playoffs. The intensity of a playoff hockey game far out weighs that of basketball and i played b-ball too.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Well that depends if you played the sport like have (goalie) I will watch even if the Bruins are bounced from the first round. I'd rather watch a hockey game over a basketball game that is if the Celtics are gone from the playoffs. The intensity of a playoff hockey game far out weighs that of basketball and i played b-ball too.

peace

I'm not saying everyone...their are those like you who obviously enjoy hockey and will watch no matter what...but in the States it struggles to gain and keep fans...unlike here in Canada the ratings would be good if Phoenix and Florida were in the finals.

I would think Bettman would be happy if Phoenix and Florida made it to the finals...it would help sell season tickets and might help them find a buyer for Phoenix.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think the biggest issue the nhl has to face is not so much these "dirty hits" ... it's the evolution of the sport game and players ... the reality is that all these guys are faster and stronger and the equipment is lighter and harder ... at the pace this game is played - it's coming to the point that if you don't want players hurt ... something has to be changed ... whether it's the equipment or rules ...

chris neil's hit is a great example ... clean hit ... guy takes a slapshot after cutting in the middle ... he's got to know he is exposed and there you go ... 10 years ago - all these hits would be considered clean and laying out a guy was part of some guy's role ... but with what they know of concussions these days ... it's more and more dangerous ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    i think the biggest issue the nhl has to face is not so much these "dirty hits" ... it's the evolution of the sport game and players ... the reality is that all these guys are faster and stronger and the equipment is lighter and harder ... at the pace this game is played - it's coming to the point that if you don't want players hurt ... something has to be changed ... whether it's the equipment or rules ...

chris neil's hit is a great example ... clean hit ... guy takes a slapshot after cutting in the middle ... he's got to know he is exposed and there you go ... 10 years ago - all these hits would be considered clean and laying out a guy was part of some guy's role ... but with what they know of concussions these days ... it's more and more dangerous ...

Has this game ever evolved...there was a time when goalies never wore a mask hard to believe.

terry-sawchuk_display_image.jpg
    HOFmer Terry Sawchuk
    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

polaris_x wrote:

The biggest thing the NHL missed out on was when teams started replacing their aging rinks is that they did not pass a rule that all new rinks must be Olympic size...too late now...only a couple of teams playing in older buildings now...Detroit and the Islanders...I do not know of many more.

lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

The biggest thing the NHL missed out on was when teams started replacing their aging rinks is that they did not pass a rule that all new rinks must be Olympic size...too late now...only a couple of teams playing in older buildings now...Detroit and the Islanders...I do not know of many more.

Doesn't that issue have to do with that many of the arenas period are dual arenas with basketball and that if they went to Olympic size they wouldn't fit. If the arenas were built just for hockey, the Olympic size would work but trying to build them for both sports I believe makes them very difficult for them both to work. Am i right on that?

peace

polaris_x wrote:

Of course the equipment should be changed...Don Cherry has been saying that for years...the OHL recently went back to the older style equipment...

Don on equipment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8YBEQ9QyxQ

need to get back to wood sticks as well..

g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Doesn't that issue have to do with that many of the arenas period are dual arenas with basketball and that if they went to Olympic size they wouldn't fit. If the arenas were built just for hockey, the Olympic size would work but trying to build them for both sports I believe makes them very difficult for them both to work. Am i right on that?

peace

So what do they do in Europe...have two arenas...one for basketball one for hockey. I'm not an engineer...but they do remove the boards and cover the ice surface for basketball...so they'd have a little more ice surface to cover. Hockey on the bigger ice is a much more exciting game...it's just too bad that the NHL doesn't recognize that...of course why would they...they got a lawyer from the NBA as their commissioner.

OHL introduces changes to shoulder and elbow pads

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... pment.html

LETS GO PENS!!!

Where do they find these announcers...Gord Miller TSN 'if Giroux hadn't been hurt he might have challenged Malkin for the scoring lead". Well he played more games than Malkin. Do your research.

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Where do they find these announcers...Gord Miller TSN 'if Giroux hadn't been hurt he might have challenged Malkin for the scoring lead". Well he played more games than Malkin. Do your research.

His 14pts in the first round are the only points that matter

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Hope the Canucks got at least 1 more in them...would be extremely difficult to win 3 more against this goalie.

lukin2006 wrote:

I would think that many players from that series are in the top 10 in playoff scoring...neither team play defense till game 5

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I would think that many players from that series are in the top 10 in playoff scoring...neither team play defense till game 5

Your boy Sidney games 5-6 zero points

I think his head isn't right since the Malkin collision

Giroux is a beast you should like him he's Canadian
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    lukin2006 wrote:

Your boy Sidney games 5-6 zero points

I think his head isn't right since the Malkin collision

Giroux is a beast you should like him he's Canadian

Yes I agree he wasn't right after that. I do like Giroux, if your goalie comes through your team has an excellent shot to get to the finals.

As for Giroux I was thinking about how good our Olympic team will be in 2 years. Just need to find a goalie.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Giroux best player in the world? Not sure, but definitely best in Pennsylvania. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    goodbye to Vancouver, thanks for playing
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    britney_alone_88u3_Who_is_the_most_emotional_Girls_or_guys-s300x218-83182-580.jpg
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    lukin2006 wrote:
    LETS GO GOLFING WITH THE PENS!!!

:thumbup:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Giroux best player in the world? Not sure, but definitely best in Pennsylvania. 8-)

he still needs a stanley cup,gold medal,mvp,scoring title and conn smythe. other than that he's just great 8-)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    goodbye to Vancouver, thanks for playing

So long, Canucks! :lol::lol:
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Giroux best player in the world? Not sure, but definitely best in Pennsylvania. 8-)

he still needs a stanley cup,gold medal,mvp,scoring title and conn smythe. other than that he's just great 8-)

Hoping he gets all but the gold medal. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16