NHL Playoffs 2012 Edition

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Indefinite suspension for Torres, pending a hearing on Friday.

I'm thinking that means it's going to be a significant suspension. Why the delay until Friday? Tell Torres to get his ass to see Shanahan today.

They are waiting until Friday to see if Hossa was faking the whole stretcher/ambulance thing.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that there are two off days (non traveling) in this Bs-Caps series? Game 4 should be tonight. No wonder this first round always takes 2+ weeks.

same thing with the la-van series...i thought game 4 was gonna be last night
    I mean, I have never played competitive hockey (outside of roller hockey/barrel hockey when I was a kid), but are these hiatuses really worth it?

Also, is it necessary to have these series be 7 games? Why not have a 5 game series like the NBA? It would keep legs fresh and 1st round matchups would be resolved quicker.

as with all the major sports, tv drives the scheduling and $$$ drives tv
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    polaris_x wrote:
    I mean, I have never played competitive hockey (outside of roller hockey/barrel hockey when I was a kid), but are these hiatuses really worth it?

Also, is it necessary to have these series be 7 games? Why not have a 5 game series like the NBA? It would keep legs fresh and 1st round matchups would be resolved quicker.

nhl makes a lot of money on playoffs ... especially the teams that make it ... playoff payroll is very minimal in that it's really just bonuses they pay out ... so, the more playoff games, the better - revenue wise ...
    Interesting. Makes sense. The Bruins had like 15 extra games last year. Filling the joint, selling beers and other shit. It all adds up naturally. The NHL also understands the mystique of "playoff hockey". So many people I know pay little attention to the reg season but are glued to the TV during the playoffs.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    7 games greater than 5....i'd take 7 all day long....

sure beats those silly 1 game playoffs that baseball is going with.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    polaris_x wrote:
    He leaves his feet and is clearly gunning for his head with his left elbow. It's clear as day. The only reason Neal escaped more suspension was because Giroux ducked and missed most of the blow and therefore didnt suffer any injury. Same on the Couturier hit. The ruling was based on outcome of the hits. If either guy is injured you can damn well be assured the suspension would have been longer than 1 game.

ok ... i will let it go after this ... i know i'm talking to flyer fans here so it's already an uphill battle ... just watch the video i linked to ... it shows hits in slo-mo ... these are not targeted hits to injure...

and in my opinion both those guys embellished their hits for the outcome they got ... if giroux was truly dizzy after getting hit - he would have suffered a concussion ... look up what a concussion is ... and he would be held out ... couturier got the wind knocked out of him ... that's it ... both those guys will be on the ice healthy tonite ... look at alfredson's hit ... guy hasn't played since ...
    You are basing your logic on the outcome(or in this case, no concussions) of the hit, NOT the hit itself. The intentions were there.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

yes.

playoff hockey is the best sports anyone will witness for the entire year.

5 game playoff series is one of the worst things introduced to professional sports, especially baseball. after playing 162 games, with a team that has over 100 wins, and then all of a sudden they lose three games first round and go home? ridiculous.
    7 nhl vs. the 5 nba is also not a good arguement because....

in the nhl, it's not all that uncommon for a 7th or 8th seed to win the first round or even the confrence.

in the nba, it's big news when an 8th seed wins and it's also big news if one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the confrence doesn't make the finals
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:
    I agree with you but here is a question for you. if you are the GM of the Cotes, would you not be pissed at Shanny for suspending your player but Neale from Pittsburgh gets nothing for his hit?

Just like what Toews said yesterday, we have no idea what is running in these people heads.

neal got a game ... my impression on his "hit" to couturier is that it was an accident ... he was following the puck and then couturier kinda turned into him and he was just protecting himself ...

sorry man, but the Neale hit was just as bad as the Torres hit yesterday.
    It was almost the same exact hit. The difference: The result, Hossa taken off on a stretcher= stricter suspension. It's ridiculous.
    I'm done with this. It's maddening.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    You are basing your logic on the outcome(or in this case, no concussions) of the hit, NOT the hit itself. The intentions were there.

i am letting it go ... but no, that is not what i based my logic on ... it's based on watching the video numerous times, what neal said after and my limited experience playing ice hockey ...
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    NBA has been 7 games in the first round for at least 5 years now. NHL went to 7 games in 1987 to give the higher seeds a little longer to prove themselves (and of course to make money). Of course, this was never a problem in the NBA; obviously is was about nothing but the money as is everything else. It would be hard to argue that the 7 game first round has done anything to reduce the number of upsets - Canucks would be the 9th or 10th 1 seed to lose in the 1st round since the conference alignment began in 1994. I mean, that's, what, about 25% of the time the 8 seed wins the first round. :lol:

Flyers/Penguins also had 2 off days between games. Pens flew back after Sunday's game and are coming back today I believe.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Pens flew back after Sunday's game and are coming back today I believe.

yesterday....NHL mandates you be in the city the night before the game, unless it's the day after christmas, in which case you can travel day of.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Pens flew back after Sunday's game and are coming back today I believe.

yesterday....NHL mandates you be in the city the night before the game, unless it's the day after christmas, in which case you can travel day of.

Alrighty- never knew that. Makes sense for all those snowstorms.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    norm wrote:
    Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that there are two off days (non traveling) in this Bs-Caps series? Game 4 should be tonight. No wonder this first round always takes 2+ weeks.

same thing with the la-van series...i thought game 4 was gonna be last night

Often it has to do with what else is booked in the arena. There was likely another event last night in LA, like a concert or something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Often it has to do with what else is booked in the arena. There was likely another event last night in LA, like a concert or something.

I guess there was a Sixers game at WTF last night, so they needed to wait for Wed for Game 4. Who knew the NBA is still playing? :lol:

PJ_Soul wrote:

I guess there was a Sixers game at WTF last night, so they needed to wait for Wed for Game 4. Who knew the NBA is still playing? :lol:
    Oh yeah, I forgot the NBA even existed, lol! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    So in other news, it look slike Daniel Sedin is going to play tonight. also it looks like Vancouver is not playing Luongo in net.

Does that mean that Luo is gone this off season and if so where does he go?
    fife wrote:
    So in other news, it look slike Daniel Sedin is going to play tonight. also it looks like Vancouver is not playing Luongo in net.

i truly hope he is symptom free and he is not incurring a huge risk ... they should maybe just play him on the power play ...

is there a team that would take on that monstrosity of a contract?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

i truly hope he is symptom free and he is not incurring a huge risk ... they should maybe just play him on the power play ...

They could probably figure out a way to deal him to the Oakland Raiders. Just Sayin'.
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

I wonder if the leafs would try to get him as their goalie. I would have to see the cap hit and see if they have that space. the only downside would be is Toronto to hard to play in for a player who doesn't like that much pressure.

I know most people are think the Lightning but I don't think they can afford him unless they find a person to take Vincent contract.
    fife wrote:
    I wonder if the leafs would try to get him as their goalie. I would have to see the cap hit and see if they have that space. the only downside would be is Toronto to hard to play in for a player who doesn't like that much pressure.

I know most people are think the Lightning but I don't think they can afford him unless they find a person to take Vincent contract.

burke hates those type of contracts ... he wouldn't do it ... and definitely, toronto is not a place you want to play if you don't like pressure ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

burke hates those type of contracts ... he wouldn't do it ... and definitely, toronto is not a place you want to play if you don't like pressure ...

while yes Burke hates those contracts, i think Burke hates losing his job more and that makes people do stupid things.
    fife wrote:

Lu's not going anywhere with that contract I don't think. But there is a bit of a problem there... If Schneider is now a goalie who they're playing in the most important game of the year by a mile, what happens with him? What is his contract now, and when is it up? Because it might be tough for them to retain him as a "back up" goalie while they can't get rid of Luongo, and I don't think they can just make Lu the back up goalie with that kind of contract... I mean, it would be hard to justify!! Kind of a weird situation.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Lu's not going anywhere with that contract I don't think. But there is a bit of a problem there... If Schneider is now a goalie who they're playing in the most important game of the year by a mile, what happens with him? What is his contract now, and when is it up? Because it might be tough for them to retain him as a "back up" goalie while they can't get rid of Luongo, and I don't think they can just make Lu the back up goalie with that kind of contract... I mean, it would be hard to justify!! Kind of a weird situation.

the thing also to consider is that whoever plays tonite ultimately has no bearing on who they go with next year ... remember halak had a masterful run in the playoffs for the canadiens but they traded him and kept price ... i think lou's contract goes for another 10 years so ... i don't see anyone taking on that contract ... not even a desperate burke ... say what you will - lou would not thrive in toronto and burke knows that ...
    fife wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

while yes Burke hates those contracts, i think Burke hates losing his job more and that makes people do stupid things.
    Taking on a contract like that for a goalie who doesn't perform would also make him lose his job... Not that I'm saying Lu wouldn't perform... No one knows. Because he's so inconsistent, and gets psyched out really easily. But then again, he might pull a few magic seasons out of his ass. Crap shoot.
  • DocHinchyDocHinchy Posts: 125
    g under p wrote:
    Big debate down here in S Florida on sports talk radio on the need for fighting in the NHL. Having played the game in 3 formats ice, roller and street, I believe there's NO Need for it in the NHL.To me It's an added attraction for the sport that NO OTHER sport allows that I can think of... only the NHL can say this. As the sport is rising in popularity I just don't see the need...in the AHL, college it's frowned upon so why have it in the pros.

Yes the officials allow the enforcers to let go of there frustrations and protecting thier more skilled players but for me let the skating and skills of the players rule not their fists. That said HOCKEY is by far the most exciting playoff sport to watch just over the NFL in that you can watch it every other night rather than once a week. Anybody every flip back and forth from playoff NHL to a NBA game it's a huge difference.

Peace
    Actually, I can`t remember the stats, but baseball lost as many or more man games due to suspensions than hockey a couple years ago. Pitcher hits a batter, let`s empty the bench`s.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    fife wrote:

while I agree somewhat with what you are saying. I actually think Vancouver would get more for Schneider. the main issue I see is that it looks like the fans have turned on Luo and if they have and they trade schneider, what happens with Luo? will the pressure get to him?
    Jason P wrote:
    He left his feet and has a bad history ... and Shanny is already taking all sorts of heat ... I think Torres is done for this year.
    Totally agree. If Shaw and Haggelin got three, he should get twelve. I like Torres`s game, but dude learn to hit clean! I was impressed with the way Cooke from Pitts. changed his game this year.
    Fife, are you a leaf fan? Toronto should grab Lou, pockets are pretty deep. Don`t think the Leaf fans would turn on him like Van. fans have.
    fife wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    fife wrote:

while I agree somewhat with what you are saying. I actually think Vancouver would get more for Schneider. the main issue I see is that it looks like the fans have turned on Luo and if they have and they trade schneider, what happens with Luo? will the pressure get to him?
    I'm in Vancouver, and I wouldn't say that the fans have turned on Luongo. No one feels that this series has been his fault. We all tend to agree that it was the best decision to put Schneider in net, but not because of how Lu was performing - rather because of how the team was performing, and switching goalies was the only significant switch up that we could come up with to make the rest of the team pick up their feet... And obviously management agreed. But everyone is making a point of reminding people that Lu is not at all to blame for this disaster of a series.
    And for the record, the pressure ALWAYS get to Lu... Unless he's playing in the Olympics, that is!
    DocHinchy wrote:
    Fife, are you a leaf fan? Toronto should grab Lou, pockets are pretty deep. Don`t think the Leaf fans would turn on him like Van. fans have.
    No they haven't. The fans are being just the same as always - annoyingly but always temporarily fickle. At the moment no one has turned on Lu at all (more like everyone else on the ice). But even if they had and he did go to TO, Leafs fans wouldn't turn on him because they obviously never turn on anyone, clearly, since they are still rabid fans despite having such a terrible team for soooo many years now. :lol:;)