NHL Playoffs 2012 Edition

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I like your rule changes.

How about remove Shanahan.

yeah ... i'm good with that ... he's done some good things but overall is a failure because he just trying to appease too many people ... the league is full of various players and beliefs ... some people like "old school" hockey ... but the reality is "old school" hockey means we have no daniel alfredson playing, no daniel sedin playing, likely no marian hossa playing, etc ... teams are thriving with guys who are prepared to do the dirty work ... and the stars are paying for it ...
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P wrote:
    I see the Red Wings are continuing the tradition of running into super hot goalies in the playoffs ...

Jimmy Howard hasn't been the same since his injury earlier this year. Even after the refs spotted the Wings a goal, they still scored twice very quickly. I don't know what he was thinking on the second goal ...

Rinne is one of the best in the world. Has it occurred to Detroit that maybe they are not built for the playoffs anymore. Both Hudler and Filipila had fine seasons but the playoffs are a whole different animal, you must pay a much higher price in the playoffs. 2 things I really think the wings lack true grit from their forward and playoff snipers. I think Howard's a fine goalie but he's not on the same levels as a Rinne, Quick or a Lundquist.

Unfortunately for the Detroit fans that's unlikely to change anytime soon.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I like your rule changes.

How about remove Shanahan.

yeah ... i'm good with that ... he's done some good things but overall is a failure because he just trying to appease too many people ... the league is full of various players and beliefs ... some people like "old school" hockey ... but the reality is "old school" hockey means we have no daniel alfredson playing, no daniel sedin playing, likely no marian hossa playing, etc ... teams are thriving with guys who are prepared to do the dirty work ... and the stars are paying for it ...

As for handing out discipline...I'm on board with fife's idea of panel.

I'd also love them to crack down on hacking and whacking with the sticks...make slashing a 3 minute penalty.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Jason P wrote:
    He left his feet and has a bad history ... and Shanny is already taking all sorts of heat ... I think Torres is done for this year.

I agree with you but here is a question for you. if you are the GM of the Cotes, would you not be pissed at Shanny for suspending your player but Neale from Pittsburgh gets nothing for his hit?

Just like what Toews said yesterday, we have no idea what is running in these people heads.
    fife wrote:
    I agree with you but here is a question for you. if you are the GM of the Cotes, would you not be pissed at Shanny for suspending your player but Neale from Pittsburgh gets nothing for his hit?

Just like what Toews said yesterday, we have no idea what is running in these people heads.

neal got a game ... my impression on his "hit" to couturier is that it was an accident ... he was following the puck and then couturier kinda turned into him and he was just protecting himself ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Rinne is one of the best in the world. Has it occurred to Detroit that maybe they are not built for the playoffs anymore. Both Hudler and Filipila had fine seasons but the playoffs are a whole different animal, you must pay a much higher price in the playoffs. 2 things I really think the wings lack true grit from their forward and playoff snipers. I think Howard's a fine goalie but he's not on the same levels as a Rinne, Quick or a Lundquist.

Unfortunately for the Detroit fans that's unlikely to change anytime soon.
    Helm was a big loss. That was a high-energy line and could catch teams off-guard. And I think Hudler lost a step in his KHL experiment and have not been impressed with him at all this year.

I just wish there was a way to toughen Ericsson up. Perhaps a soap-bar beating ala Full Metal Jacket in the offseason ...

thumbnail.aspx?q=4689361786044491&id=466578bc75c7b35fded2c40e416ee06b
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

neal got a game ... my impression on his "hit" to couturier is that it was an accident ... he was following the puck and then couturier kinda turned into him and he was just protecting himself ...

sorry man, but the Neale hit was just as bad as the Torres hit yesterday. first off the puck was no where to be found and secondly, he jump up and hit him. that deserves atleast 2-3 games in my opinion. second, the hit on Claude was right to the head of a player who has had a concussion this year and deserved more than 1 game for that.
    fife wrote:
    sorry man, but the Neale hit was just as bad as the Torres hit yesterday. first off the puck was no where to be found and secondly, he jump up and hit him. that deserves atleast 2-3 games in my opinion. second, the hit on Claude was right to the head of a player who has had a concussion this year and deserved more than 1 game for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFjvfA8zqk

around 2:22

dude ... i've watched this hit a bunch of times ... watch the way the play is unfolding ... there is no reason to hit him ... factor in that he hits him by bringing his arms in ... he leaves his feet because he wants to initially avoid him but realizes its too late ... he doesn't extend his arms ... he's trying to get to the boards to get to the puck ... that is my objective opinion after watching it a bunch of times from all angles ... neal says as much afterwards ... if he wanted to hit him ... he would lead with his shoulder instead of his face and chest ...

the giroux hit is harder to dissect as a lot happens really fast ... mainly giroux still had the puck and his head was lowered ... in order for neal to hit him any lower ... he would literally have to bend down ... i think giroux is guilty of embellishing here ...

but really tho ... i don't see me convincing any flyers fans of it ... :lol::lol:
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    There's so many different ways of looking at who did what on purpose or by accident and who should get fined or suspended for x number of games and whatever. You can go in circles with the arguments for weeks. I'm starting to think Shanny's getting a bit of a bad rap on this. The job is harder than it looks, I would imagine.

Anyways, I'm satisfied with his disciplinary treatment of the Penguins.

I can see why Blackhawks fans may be outraged, although I think the suspension on the goalie hit was certainly justified.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I feel if Neal didn't want to hit Coots then he would've stayed in a more crouched, legs bent skating motion and actually skate around him. He stops skating. With the hit on G, G's head is lowered because he's ducking to avoid a kill shot.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I feel if Neal didn't want to hit Coots then he would've stayed in a more crouched, legs bent skating motion and actually skate around him. He stops skating. With the hit on G, G's head is lowered because he's ducking to avoid a kill shot.

obviously, it's up for interpretation ... but the neal hit on couturier has that deer in the headlights thing written all over it ... that's how i see it and that's what neal said as well post-game ... i don't know many players who try to fake hit someone ...

neal has to hit giroux ... he's got the puck making a play almost in front of the net ... i don't think it was a deliberate shot to the head ...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    polaris_x wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

obviously, it's up for interpretation ... but the neal hit on couturier has that deer in the headlights thing written all over it ... that's how i see it and that's what neal said as well post-game ... i don't know many players who try to fake hit someone ...

neal has to hit giroux ... he's got the puck making a play almost in front of the net ... i don't think it was a deliberate shot to the head ...
    It clearly was on purpose. He went after 2 different guys on the SAME shift within seconds of each other!
    Whenever you "accidentally" run into someone, you dont jump upwards in the air towards that person with a forceful action. Neal was mad. He didnt try to avoid Couturier, accidentally hit him, then skate down into the offensive end and proceed to head hunt Giroux. He was going for both players.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Big debate down here in S Florida on sports talk radio on the need for fighting in the NHL. Having played the game in 3 formats ice, roller and street, I believe there's NO Need for it in the NHL.To me It's an added attraction for the sport that NO OTHER sport allows that I can think of... only the NHL can say this. As the sport is rising in popularity I just don't see the need...in the AHL, college it's frowned upon so why have it in the pros.

Yes the officials allow the enforcers to let go of there frustrations and protecting thier more skilled players but for me let the skating and skills of the players rule not their fists. That said HOCKEY is by far the most exciting playoff sport to watch just over the NFL in that you can watch it every other night rather than once a week. Anybody every flip back and forth from playoff NHL to a NBA game it's a huge difference.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    g under p wrote:
    Big debate down here in S Florida on sports talk radio on the need for fighting in the NHL. Having played the game in 3 formats ice, roller and street, I believe there's NO Need for it in the NHL.To me It's an added attraction for the sport that NO OTHER sport allows that I can think of... only the NHL can say this. As the sport is rising in popularity I just don't see the need...in the AHL, college it's frowned upon so why have it in the pros.

Yes the officials allow the enforcers to let go of there frustrations and protecting thier more skilled players but for me let the skating and skills of the players rule not their fists. That said HOCKEY is by far the most exciting playoff sport to watch just over the NFL in that you can watch it every other night rather than once a week. Anybody every flip back and forth from playoff NHL to a NBA game it's a huge difference.

Peace
    I like it. It keeps the players emotionally jacked and the fans even more entertained than they already are. As long as boxing and especially MMA is allowed, I don't see the problem, and it remains untrue that it's not allowed in other sports. In MMA they beat the living shit out of each other and it's one of the fastest growing spectator sports in North America. So a few hockey fights where they get a cut once in a while doesn't seem so bad to me, especially since they're consenting adults. I don't think that it overshadows hockey skill in any way, shape or form, and therefore doesn't degrade the sport, IMHO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The second you take fighting out of hockey, it will drop even further down the rung of the sports ladder in this country. It's struggling enough as it is.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Indefinite suspension for Torres, pending a hearing on Friday.
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Is fighting banned in the AHL...no. then they don't frown upon it...if they got rid of the instigator rule these free shots on superstars would not be happening...it's a really simple concept. When guys like Probert, Kocur, Nilan, Grimson and Semenkos were patrolling the ice players thought twice about cheap shots...and those guys could also play the game.

The NHL created the mess and is unable or unwilling to fix it.

simple eliminate the instigator rule...head shots and cheap shots will start to go down.

It clearly was on purpose. He went after 2 different guys on the SAME shift within seconds of each other!
    Whenever you "accidentally" run into someone, you dont jump upwards in the air towards that person with a forceful action. Neal was mad. He didnt try to avoid Couturier, accidentally hit him, then skate down into the offensive end and proceed to head hunt Giroux. He was going for both players.

if that's how you see it ... not a whole lot i can say ... guys don't hit with their hands in their chest ... they either hit with their shoulder or they punch out with their fists like schenn did ... and what was neal to do with giroux!? ... guy has the puck in the slot?? ... do nothing? ... the way giroux turned and embellished the hit made it way worse than it was ... look at guys who get hit in the head (alfredson and sedin) ... they don't come back ...
    edited April 2012
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFjvfA8zqk

around 2:22

dude ... i've watched this hit a bunch of times ... watch the way the play is unfolding ... there is no reason to hit him ... factor in that he hits him by bringing his arms in ... he leaves his feet because he wants to initially avoid him but realizes its too late ... he doesn't extend his arms ... he's trying to get to the boards to get to the puck ... that is my objective opinion after watching it a bunch of times from all angles ... neal says as much afterwards ... if he wanted to hit him ... he would lead with his shoulder instead of his face and chest ...

the giroux hit is harder to dissect as a lot happens really fast ... mainly giroux still had the puck and his head was lowered ... in order for neal to hit him any lower ... he would literally have to bend down ... i think giroux is guilty of embellishing here ...

but really tho ... i don't see me convincing any flyers fans of it ... :lol::lol:

ok just watch the 4 replay of your video. the puck was so far gone already, and Neale was clearly in the air to hit him. While yes i am a flyers fan, i do see how you can say that there is no reason to him hit. the guy has been a shut down forward and has played great these playoffs against the pens best players.

secondly, when you see the repeat you clearly see that the puck was already back in the flyers area. Neale made a wide turn and didn't even bother to look at the puck.

when Pierre Macquire says that he left his feet you know its true cause he would never say anything against the pens.

the game is over now and we move on the tonight games but it all honestly, it was dirty hit and deserved a suspension.
    Post edited by fife on
    polaris_x wrote:

if that's how you see it ... not a whole lot i can say ... guys don't hit with their hands in their chest ... they either hit with their shoulder or they punch out with their fists like schenn did ... and what was neal to do with giroux!? ... guy has the puck in the slot?? ... do nothing? ... the way giroux turned and embellished the hit made it way worse than it was ... look at guys who get hit in the head (alfredson and sedin) ... they don't come back ...
    nealhit_medium.gif

He leaves his feet and is clearly gunning for his head with his left elbow. It's clear as day. The only reason Neal escaped more suspension was because Giroux ducked and missed most of the blow and therefore didnt suffer any injury. Same on the Couturier hit. The ruling was based on outcome of the hits. If either guy is injured you can damn well be assured the suspension would have been longer than 1 game.
    fife wrote:
    ok just watch the 4 replay of your video. the puck was so far gone already, and Neale was clearly in the air to hit him. While yes i am a flyers fan, i do see how you can say that there is no reason to him hit. the guy has been a shut down forward and has played great these playoffs against the pens best players.

the game is over now and we move on the tonight games but it all honestly, it was dirty hit and deserved a suspension.

the puck has no bearing on the play when you view it as accidental ... neal is following the puck ... if he wanted to hit couturier - that was a weak kind of hit ... it totally had the look of an accidental hit ... neal says so after the post game and it sure looks like it to me ... obviously, shanny bought it watching the same video ...

neal is the second leading scorer for the pens in the regular season - if he intentionally hits him - he's gonna get suspended ... how is that gonna be good for the pens!??

you have to take the bias out of this assessment ... and apply some objectivity and logic ... there is no reason to hit him ...
    He leaves his feet and is clearly gunning for his head with his left elbow. It's clear as day. The only reason Neal escaped more suspension was because Giroux ducked and missed most of the blow and therefore didnt suffer any injury. Same on the Couturier hit. The ruling was based on outcome of the hits. If either guy is injured you can damn well be assured the suspension would have been longer than 1 game.

ok ... i will let it go after this ... i know i'm talking to flyer fans here so it's already an uphill battle ... just watch the video i linked to ... it shows hits in slo-mo ... these are not targeted hits to injure...

and in my opinion both those guys embellished their hits for the outcome they got ... if giroux was truly dizzy after getting hit - he would have suffered a concussion ... look up what a concussion is ... and he would be held out ... couturier got the wind knocked out of him ... that's it ... both those guys will be on the ice healthy tonite ... look at alfredson's hit ... guy hasn't played since ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    The second you take fighting out of hockey, it will drop even further down the rung of the sports ladder in this country. It's struggling enough as it is.
    Canadians are still bananas for hockey of course, and they'd watch it without the fighting as well, but it would for sure take some of the passion and emotion out of the game. I don't really understand why some people talk about banning it. I don't see the harm. It's not the fighting that gets people hurt. It's the dirty hits during play.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

Isn't the NHL doing as well as it has done in a long time in the US right now?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Indefinite suspension for Torres, pending a hearing on Friday.

I'm thinking that means it's going to be a significant suspension. Why the delay until Friday? Tell Torres to get his ass to see Shanahan today.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    edited April 2012
    polaris_x wrote:

ok ... i will let it go after this ... i know i'm talking to flyer fans here so it's already an uphill battle ... just watch the video i linked to ... it shows hits in slo-mo ... these are not targeted hits to injure...

and in my opinion both those guys embellished their hits for the outcome they got ... if giroux was truly dizzy after getting hit - he would have suffered a concussion ... look up what a concussion is ... and he would be held out ... couturier got the wind knocked out of him ... that's it ... both those guys will be on the ice healthy tonite ... look at alfredson's hit ... guy hasn't played since ...

I'm biased but if you look at the way he practically stops on one skate and turns on a dime after the G hit but he couldn't avoid the Coots hits? I'm not buying it. He lost his wits during that shift.

Also, G did not return to the game after that hit.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that there are two off days (non traveling) in this Bs-Caps series? Game 4 should be tonight. No wonder this first round always takes 2+ weeks.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Is it just me or is it completely ridiculous that there are two off days (non traveling) in this Bs-Caps series? Game 4 should be tonight. No wonder this first round always takes 2+ weeks.

same thing with the la-van series...i thought game 4 was gonna be last night
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    norm wrote:

same thing with the la-van series...i thought game 4 was gonna be last night
    I mean, I have never played competitive hockey (outside of roller hockey/barrel hockey when I was a kid), but are these hiatuses really worth it?

Also, is it necessary to have these series be 7 games? Why not have a 5 game series like the NBA? It would keep legs fresh and 1st round matchups would be resolved quicker.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I mean, I have never played competitive hockey (outside of roller hockey/barrel hockey when I was a kid), but are these hiatuses really worth it?

Also, is it necessary to have these series be 7 games? Why not have a 5 game series like the NBA? It would keep legs fresh and 1st round matchups would be resolved quicker.

nhl makes a lot of money on playoffs ... especially the teams that make it ... playoff payroll is very minimal in that it's really just bonuses they pay out ... so, the more playoff games, the better - revenue wise ...