Penn State Scandal

Comments

• g under p wrote:
    AP report says JOE Paterno will retire at the end of the season. Should both Joe and McQueary be on the sidelines this weekend coaching?

Peace

PSU also needs to gut the whole coaching staff and anyone involved with the football team. I guess whoever comes in will do that.

If I was McQueary, I would be on a leave of absence too.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I could see Paterno on the sidelines this weekend but not McQuery.

This president needs to speak!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • There are reports out today that say that although the indictment lists 8 accusers the list has grown "closer to 20" now since the state set up a phone number for other possible victims to call.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/08/repor ... ref=sircrc
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Every single person who stood by and didn't intervene is culpable in this situation. From the janitor and McQueary who actually witnessed assaults, to Paterno and his superiors who were told about them. We're all mandated reporters. We're all required to report suspicions of child abuse to the authorities...so anyone who suspected or knew for sure that something was happening and didn't report it is at fault. Paterno is getting the most attention because he is the most public figure, but everyone else is equally or more at blame here. But I'm sick of fucking hearing about him already. I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than Sandusky. Keep the focus on the man that actually raped countless numbers of children. It's a teachable moment for anyone who might be a potential bystander to realize they have a responsibility to report and intervene, but I think it's really important that Paterno not overshadow the focus that should be on Sandusky.

Perfect very well said...I will add that everyone who knew about this and didnt say anything all these years allowing it to happen more is a SICK MUTHERFUCKER..for obvious reasons.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-San ... 521&sr=8-1

6a00d8341c630a53ef015392df38c3970b-320wi

You can't make this stuff up. :shock:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Paternos Statement

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Paternos Statement

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Reprehensible. Firing him is not as important as what? Firing him takes 2 seconds. He should not be allowed to ruin Seniors Day. I hope his whole team walks out on him. Wont happen, but it would be a great gesture by a group of young men.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That’s why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. [/i]

Translation: Look I'm gonna leave at the end of the season so PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME NOW
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I haven't read all the details...buy why is Paterno under fire? Did he know what was going? or is this just guilt by association?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I haven't read all the details...buy why is Paterno under fire? Did he know what was going? or is this just guilt by association?
    I'd suggest reading the details.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Davidtrios wrote:

It will also reflect what his prison life is going to be like
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Paternos Statement

That statement right there alone will cost PSU a ton of money. That's why JP needs to get a lawyer and probably keep his mouth shut therefore he shouldn't be on the sidelines this weekend. I get the feeling this all goes deeper like to the police department.... this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• A student exiting the Bryce Jordan Center, Penn State's indoor arena, who identified himself as an athletic department employee but declined to give his name, said students close to the department haven't talked about the abuse scandal but are instead trying to focus on "positive things."

"We have a two-game lead in football and if we beat Nebraska on Saturday we are in charge of our own destiny in terms of the Big 10 championship," he said. "We are looking at the positives."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... zz1dDvKhuj
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    I knew you guys would have a field day with that line and I am not going to get into it. Sad day. No man is perfect, no man is close to perfect, but Joe Paterno has meant more to me and much of my family than just about anyone outside of my family possibly can.
  • Jason P wrote:
    ncf_aquavivas_cr_300.jpg

This scandal has forced me to step back and consider instances in the past and see if I've failed this mantra. I've not witnessed anything close to a sexual assault, but have I stood by silent in the past when a bully or co-worker has emotional attacked someone I know? Have I ever witnessed a friend or neighbor be to aggressive with their kids (physically or emotionally) and not confront them? Have I seen a good friend display signs of aggressiveness or violence with someone they are dating and rationalize it, even though I should know that the aggressiveness may multiple ten-fold when they are in private?

Hard to say because the human mind usually suppresses these memories. Nothing in my past memory particularly stands out, but perhaps I've chosen to forget it subconsciously.

There are some important lessons to be learned by all of us.

I'm hopeful that we will all be better at confronting evil in the future. Otherwise, we shouldn't be casting stones in a glass house.
    yeah...I think there are probably a lot of times when people want to intervene, but don't...probably for a whole bunch of reasons. When I was 16 I remember seeing a man pushing his (wife? girlfriend?) around in a parking lot. I wanted to do something, but didn't know what the fuck to do. This was long before cell phones were the norm. I wanted to call the police, but before I could even get the license plate they had taken off. I fucking froze. And it still haunts me...21 years later. Now I know what I would do and (sadly) there's been a lot of opportunities where I've made up for having done nothing that time. I've intervened directly when that seemed to be a good option, I've called police, I've made reports to DYFS, I've reached out to a victim....but that time 21 years ago I just felt stuck.

According to the grand jury report the 2 people who witnessed the assaults (the janitor and McQuery) were visibly distraught (I should hope so!) The report said that Sandusky and the victim both saw McQuery in the locker room, so who knows the details of exactly what happened at that point. I would want to think that anyone witnessing a sexual assault of any kind would intervene immediately in some way...get the person to safety, follow-up with a report to the authorities...but all too often that doesn't happen. People stand back, turn away, become complicit. There were lots of people who could have intervened long before now...from the janitor, to McQuery, to Paterno, to his superiors. I have to wonder what that kid was thinking when he knew someone witnessed the abuse, but didn't do anything to stop it. I would think that would compound the feelings of helplessness. If nothing else comes from all of this I hope it will bring attention to the fact that we're all mandated to report. But as i said before, I really want Sandusky back in the hot seat. My mom didn't listen to any of the reports closely and actually thought Paterno committed the assaults because his face has been splashed everywhere.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I knew you guys would have a field day with that line and I am not going to get into it. Sad day. No man is perfect, no man is close to perfect, but Joe Paterno has meant more to me and much of my family than just about anyone outside of my family possibly can.

Please elaborate on how and why. Did you attend PSU? Do you work there? Please don't tell me its because you are merely just alumni or fans......Im just trying to understand how deep and why there is this huge love for this man.....
    Jason P wrote:
    ncf_aquavivas_cr_300.jpg

This scandal has forced me to step back and consider instances in the past and see if I've failed this mantra. I've not witnessed anything close to a sexual assault, but have I stood by silent in the past when a bully or co-worker has emotional attacked someone I know? Have I ever witnessed a friend or neighbor be to aggressive with their kids (physically or emotionally) and not confront them? Have I seen a good friend display signs of aggressiveness or violence with someone they are dating and rationalize it, even though I should know that the aggressiveness may multiple ten-fold when they are in private?

Hard to say because the human mind usually suppresses these memories. Nothing in my past memory particularly stands out, but perhaps I've chosen to forget it subconsciously.

There are some important lessons to be learned by all of us.

I'm hopeful that we will all be better at confronting evil in the future. Otherwise, we shouldn't be casting stones in a glass house.
    yeah...I think there are probably a lot of times when people want to intervene, but don't...probably for a whole bunch of reasons. When I was 16 I remember seeing a man pushing his (wife? girlfriend?) around in a parking lot. I wanted to do something, but didn't know what the fuck to do. This was long before cell phones were the norm. I wanted to call the police, but before I could even get the license plate they had taken off. I fucking froze. And it still haunts me...21 years later. Now I know what I would do and (sadly) there's been a lot of opportunities where I've made up for having done nothing that time. I've intervened directly when that seemed to be a good option, I've called police, I've made reports to DYFS, I've reached out to a victim....but that time 21 years ago I just felt stuck.

According to the grand jury report the 2 people who witnessed the assaults (the janitor and McQuery) were visibly distraught (I should hope so!) The report said that Sandusky and the victim both saw McQuery in the locker room, so who knows the details of exactly what happened at that point. I would want to think that anyone witnessing a sexual assault of any kind would intervene immediately in some way...get the person to safety, follow-up with a report to the authorities...but all too often that doesn't happen. People stand back, turn away, become complicit. There were lots of people who could have intervened long before now...from the janitor, to McQuery, to Paterno, to his superiors. I have to wonder what that kid was thinking when he knew someone witnessed the abuse, but didn't do anything to stop it. I would think that would compound the feelings of helplessness. If nothing else comes from all of this I hope it will bring attention to the fact that we're all mandated to report. But as i said before, I really want Sandusky back in the hot seat. My mom didn't listen to any of the reports closely and actually thought Paterno committed the assaults because his face has been splashed everywhere.

This is one of the reasons Ill watch that show "What Would You Do" I think it's called that whenever I can. The scenes they come up with to see if people WILL get involved to just do something. I'm trying to think now of a situation where I could've done something to intervene from my past.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

PATERNO WILL RETIRE at season's end

cnn.com
  • g under p wrote:
    This is one of the reasons Ill watch that show "What Would You Do" I think it's called that whenever I can. The scenes they come up with to see if people WILL get involved to just do something. I'm trying to think now of a situation where I could've done something to intervene from my past.

Peace
    I use that show in some of my trainings. I think it helps explore some of the blocks to intervening and some of the motivators for why people will take action. It really helps people look at what stops them from doing what they think is the right thing.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • What a ballsy statement from a guy who is viewed by many as an enabler in this situation. "The Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status." Really? What if they still want to fire you this week instead of letting you walk off into the sunset after a bowl game? Maybe they'd like to discuss how different your actions would have been had that kid in the shower been one of your grandchildren. Maybe they'd like to discuss how you and your superiors at the school have made all other college sports scandals seem like nothing more than cheating on a diet compared to the horrible acts that took place on your campus and continued for 7 years due to your indifference. Maybe they'd like to know why you had no issue with the filthy creep being allowed to hold youth football camps on campus for 4 years after he was accused of molesting 2 kids in 1998 even though you were disgusted enough by those original accusations to push him into retirement rather than allow him to stay on and be your "heir apparent." Maybe, just maybe, they want to knock those questions around the room a little before they let you dictate to them how and when your time at the school ends.
  • Davidtrios wrote:

cnn.com

An absolute joke. You gotta be fucking kidding me. Fire that fucker now!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    What a ballsy statement from a guy who is viewed by many as an enabler in this situation. "The Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status." Really? What if they still want to fire you this week instead of letting you walk off into the sunset after a bowl game? Maybe they'd like to discuss how different your actions would have been had that kid in the shower been one of your grandchildren. Maybe they'd like to discuss how you and your superiors at the school have made all other college sports scandals seem like nothing more than cheating on a diet compared to the horrible acts that took place on your campus and continued for 7 years due to your indifference. Maybe they'd like to know why you had no issue with the filthy creep being allowed to hold youth football camps on campus for 4 years after he was accused of molesting 2 kids in 1998 even though you were disgusted enough by those original accusations to push him into retirement rather than allow him to stay on and be your "heir apparent." Maybe, just maybe, they want to knock those questions around the room a little before they let you dictate to them how and when your time at the school ends.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: If the whole scandle wasnt reason enough for them to fire him ..the arogance of his statement should do the trick..this guy seems like a real jackass..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    I use that show in some of my trainings. I think it helps explore some of the blocks to intervening and some of the motivators for why people will take action. It really helps people look at what stops them from doing what they think is the right thing.

Nothing comes to mind at the moment mostly safety situations. Like once at a fair I saw a huge nail in someone's tire wrote a note letting the driver know they had a safety hazard in their driver's side tire.

Then again yesterday I went to Wendy's where I cool off along with my children in wait to pick up another child from a bus stop. In the front of the Wendy's were 3 or 4 Wendy's employees smoking and my kids had to walk through the smoke. Well I didnt like it so I discretely went to the manager and asked him to tell those smoking employees to smoke somewhere else where customers don't have to pass through the haze of smoke especially my children. He said he would take care of it I'll see if that's the case today, he'll remember me for sure.

Peace

Davidtrios wrote:

cnn.com

An absolute joke. You gotta be fucking kidding me. Fire that fucker now!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:
    I changed my mind. He needs to go now and can't be on the sidelines this weekend. Based on his statement he values support for a school over the welfare of innocent children. All these d-bags got to go now!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • nittany-lion-negligent.jpg

pedostate.jpg
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really don't want to get into this whole thing, but I've been reading all the comments and I agree w/ most, disagree w/ some. Only comment I'll make is I certainly wish things played out differently.

But, like you said...I grew up in Central PA, Joe's been at the school my entire life. Traveling to State College from the time I was 5 or 6 in the late 70's until now, the town / campus has changed so much. It's obvious that the man is more than just a "football" coach.

Like I said, I wish it was different and more was done. But what really ticks me off here is that if Paterno and Sandusky were walking down the street, Paterno would be the guy that's tar and feathered.

I'm sure I could add more, but I'm sad, pissed and confused and don't want to rant or ramble.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    first of all, i think Paterno (and ANYONE that has anything to do with this case) should be fired NOW. that being said, if he's stated that he's going to retire at the end of the season & the board of trustees doesn't intervene & fire him prior to the end of the season, then the Paterno focus should stop. the focus needs to be on the investigation of Sandusky and more importantly, the well-being of all of the victims. these crimes are beyond disgusting & disturbing.

the "here & now" of the fallout is that PSU is playing this weekend. i have no idea how i'd react if i were a player that had to suit up for Paterno this Saturday. but i do know that the game is not the most important thing here & neither is Paterno's legacy or future with the university. both of those are shot to hell. he won't be "charged"....but his lack of action is a crime by itself. how hard is it to call the Police?

he should walk away now. i know it would be hard for him & for the players, but it needs to happen. the university is NOT more important than the lives of those children.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really don't want to get into this whole thing, but I've been reading all the comments and I agree w/ most, disagree w/ some. Only comment I'll make is I certainly wish things played out differently.

But, like you said...I grew up in Central PA, Joe's been at the school my entire life. Traveling to State College from the time I was 5 or 6 in the late 70's until now, the town / campus has changed so much. It's obvious that the man is more than just a "football" coach.

Like I said, I wish it was different and more was done. But what really ticks me off here is that if Paterno and Sandusky were walking down the street, Paterno would be the guy that's tar and feathered.I'm sure I could add more, but I'm sad, pissed and confused and don't want to rant or ramble.

Joe could've made this not happen.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    The NCAA Sanctions programs for such minor shit compared to this. I hope they throw the book at Penn St
This discussion has been closed.