Penn State Scandal

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I knew you guys would have a field day with that line and I am not going to get into it. Sad day. No man is perfect, no man is close to perfect, but Joe Paterno has meant more to me and much of my family than just about anyone outside of my family possibly can.

I really don't want to get into this whole thing, but I've been reading all the comments and I agree w/ most, disagree w/ some. Only comment I'll make is I certainly wish things played out differently.

But, like you said...I grew up in Central PA, Joe's been at the school my entire life. Traveling to State College from the time I was 5 or 6 in the late 70's until now, the town / campus has changed so much. It's obvious that the man is more than just a "football" coach.

Like I said, I wish it was different and more was done. But what really ticks me off here is that if Paterno and Sandusky were walking down the street, Paterno would be the guy that's tar and feathered.

I'm sure I could add more, but I'm sad, pissed and confused and don't want to rant or ramble.

The odd thing i believe here is not much will happen to McQueary the state will need him to testify against Sandusky. However, is it a far stretch that McQueary was promoted after the incident to keep things quiet after he came forward just to move up the ladder at PSU?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• curlycurly Posts: 703
    We here in Nebraska are saddened and feel for you...It could happen to any university and we'd be sick if Tom Osbourne would have to go thru something like this.....And with us traveling there this sat and playing ya'll in FB....Sadly, the game isn't gonna get the attention that the story will get....
    PS...Good luck with...or...i guess, i just hope it doesn't get any worse for ya'll....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I knew you guys would have a field day with that line and I am not going to get into it. Sad day. No man is perfect, no man is close to perfect, but Joe Paterno has meant more to me and much of my family than just about anyone outside of my family possibly can.

Please elaborate on how and why. Did you attend PSU? Do you work there? Please don't tell me its because you are merely just alumni or fans......Im just trying to understand how deep and why there is this huge love for this man.....

My grandfather graduated from Penn State in 1933 and has been very close to both the school and football program ever since. He turns 100 next Wednesday and has been actively involved with both academic and football programs until his health began to fail him a just over a year or so ago. A number of other family members held fairly high positions in adminstration for their enitre career. Needless to say, many familiy members, not me, are close with MANY people involved in this and because of this have had a big impact o my family.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

That is a sad rationalization. Yes, we'd like our heroes to be perfect. And when they're not, we rationalize. I don't get how you cannot hate this man now for using you and everyone else. Yes, Sandusky should be hated more. But his statement says it all. Really? You needed hindsight in this situation? Don't fire me? It's still all about him to him. Every word he says makes me sicker that I ever respected this man.

And if the NCAA cares about program control so much, Penn state football should get the temporary death penalty. I mean they banned ohio state for tatoos. They go after UCONN because kids don't graduate. What the hell do you do with a program that marginalized little children as Paternos did?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I get Joe Pa means a lot to the university and its people, but unfortunately he made a really bad decision. My dad works for Ohio State. What Jim Tressel meant to the university, his colleagues, and the community was incredible. His positive impact and what he did for the community far outweighs the negative. Yes, he made a bad decision and is no longer our coach, and we admit he made a bad decision and know that he had to "retire". But just because Paterno has been there forever, great coach, does so much for university/community- he was involved in a horrifying child molestation scandal. I don't think there is any other choice but for him to be finished at Penn St. He made his own bed when he didn't do anything about it. And just going to someone and letting them know that Sandusky was "fondling a boy" and then going on and not making sure this was taken care of is not doing something about it. It's disgusting. Sad day for Penn St.
    edited November 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That is a sad rationalization. Yes, we'd like our heroes to be perfect. And when they're not, we rationalize. I don't get how you cannot hate this man now for using you and everyone else. Yes, Sandusky should be hated more. But his statement says it all. Really? You needed hindsight in this situation? Don't fire me? It's still all about him to him. Every word he says makes me sicker that I ever respected this man.

And if the NCAA cares about program control so much, Penn state football should get the temporary death penalty. I mean they banned ohio state for tatoos. They go after UCONN because kids don't graduate. What the hell do you do with a program that marginalized little children as Paternos did?

I am not going to get into this too much. Rationalization, bias, whatever the fuck you want to call it, I don't really give a shit. Paterno made a gigantic mistake, the biggest mistake you could possibly make and the victims, their families, Paterno, his family, the Penn State community and everyone who has strong feelings for him and the school have to live and deal with that. It's fucking horrible, especially for the kids and families that were hurt. I am incredibly angry at Paterno for what he did/didn't do, there is no question about that, I am sure every family member of mine is angry at him (the ones that I have spoken to are) but that is not going to completely destory what he means to so many people.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Please elaborate on how and why. Did you attend PSU? Do you work there? Please don't tell me its because you are merely just alumni or fans......Im just trying to understand how deep and why there is this huge love for this man.....

My grandfather graduated from Penn State in 1933 and has been very close to both the school and football program ever since. He turns 100 next Wednesday and has been actively involved with both academic and football programs until his health began to fail him a just over a year or so ago. A number of other family members held fairly high positions in adminstration for their enitre career. Needless to say, many familiy members, not me, are close with MANY people involved in this and because of this have had a big impact o my family.

With all due respect to you and your family BUT does this excuse Paterno and the PSU administration? I mean after the incident and Paterno was told what happened but you then let Sandusky have offices on campus, allow Sandusky bring boys on campus and to games and Paterno is to be given a pass. I don't think so...he apparently knew how involved Sandusky was but as a friend appears to be looking the other way. Paterno needs to go NOW along with McQueary because come Saturday the game won't be about playing Nebraska it will be about why is Paterno STILL coaching this team and that's a shame to the players involved.

The proper people have been charged and rightfully so but I originally gave JP the benefit of the doubt but far too many appears to have looked the other way...with JP being the lead.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

With all due respect to you and your family BUT does this excuse Paterno and the PSU administration? I mean after the incident and Paterno was told what happened but you then let Sandusky have offices on campus, allow Sandusky bring boys on campus and to games and Paterno is to be given a pass. I don't think so...he apparently knew how involved Sandusky was but as a friend appears to be looking the other way. Paterno needs to go NOW along with McQueary because come Saturday the game won't be about playing Nebraska it will be about why is Paterno STILL coaching this team and that's a shame to the players involved.

The proper people have been charged and rightfully so but I originally gave JP the benefit of the doubt but far too many appears to have looked the other way...with JP being the lead.

Peace

No one is excusing or giving Paterno or anyone else involved a pass and I think most of the adminstration should be gone, which is sad because Spanier is a damn good president.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I am not going to get into this too much. Rationalization, bias, whatever the fuck you want to call it, I don't really give a shit. Paterno made a gigantic mistake, the biggest mistake you could possibly make and the victims, their families, Paterno, his family, the Penn State community and everyone who has strong feelings for him and the school have to live and deal with that. It's fucking horrible, especially for the kids and families that were hurt. I am incredibly angry at Paterno for what he did/didn't do, there is no question about that, I am sure every family member of mine is angry at him (the ones that I have spoken to are) but that is not going to completely destory what he means to so many people.

Cliffy I think I get what you mean as to what Paterno means to many people. We went on vacation last year in Tampa and bus loads of PSU grads were there for a bowl game I think with Florida. I've never seen more Shirts/buttons with Paterno on it. He's worshipped on that campus with power to no end and needed to step up to the plate for that child and children to follow. This is a sad day for PSU for my friends and niece who graduated from State College.

Peace

g under p wrote:

Cliffy I think I get what you mean as to what Paterno means to many people. We went on vacation last year in Tampa and bus loads of PSU grads were there for a bowl game I think with Florida. I've never seen more Shirts/buttons with Paterno on it. He's worshipped on that campus with power to no end and needed to step up to the plate for that child and children to follow. This is a sad day for PSU for my friends and niece who graduated from State College.

Peace

It's crazy. There are not many people that have had such an impact on people and a community as he has had. That's what makes this so difficult. There is no question he needed to step up, no one is debating that.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i'm 28. if i walked into what that grad assistant saw i wouldn't run away. maybe when i was 18 but not 28. i don't care if its my boss or someones hero. i mean really can you imagine just walking away?

this is all awful and gross and there's nothing that can be done to change what happened. the least paterno could do is step down instead slapping everyone in the face by deciding he would retire after this season. that is mighty full of oneself. this guy is out of his mind. pretty sure i saw him leading psu cheers on his lawn like a pep rally. that was weird.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    norm wrote:

wow is right! how the hell is this ok???? what the fuck?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! :evil:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

You would think after all this has come out that he would be in a scene similar to that prison warden in Shawshank Redemption. I gather he still feels he's done nothing wrong, you would think he would be on lock down at home.

Peace

• This whole thing is just so disturbing. How Penn State can allow Paterno to continue coaching is beyond me. They need to just fire everyone involved with this mess and try to start healing and move on from this gigantic embarrassment.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jason P wrote:

Penn State Football reporter for BlackShoeDiaries.com
    Penn State basketball reporter for StateCollege.com.
    http://www.blackshoediaries.com/
  • norm wrote:

It was reported he worked out a few times on the Pedo State campus last week as well. I wonder if he paid a visit to his good buddy Joe Pa, maybe gave him a few tips to beat Nebraska on Saturday.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

what does it say. I cannot get twitters
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    mfc2006 wrote:

once again ... when put to the moral test ... people failed ... so caught up in their own egos that they lack to moral accountability we all strive for ...
    MayDay10 wrote:

Source: Jerry and Dorothy Sandusky seen working out at Victory Sports in State College this morning.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    PATERNO WILL RETIRE at season's end

cnn.com

This is his last year under contract anyway, correct? Classless to say the least. "Im gonna retire when my contract is up"

You stay classy Joe Pa.
  • Spanier about to be fired.

How does paterno and mcqueary survive?
  • Penn state is destroying itself.

I hope some of the Penn state players past and present start to stand up.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

“He just told us as a team that no matter what happens this year or next year, this team should stay together like brothers as always,” Morris said.

perhaps, this is why you are in the position you are at ... you protected your "brother" and in return you ignored the well being of children and your community ...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Someone needs to stand up for the kids that were molested. How about the team(players) decides not to play for these enablers that could've done something?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Is that on the Penn State campus?
    mfc2006 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Source: Jerry and Dorothy Sandusky seen working out at Victory Sports in State College this morning.
This discussion has been closed.