Penn State Scandal

Comments

• 81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

That right is the part I have a problem in all of this...is his downplaying of what was reported to him to minimize damage to his friend. There's a reason I gather I have a photo of the two of them together at the start of this thread.

Peace

that's the key as far as joe pa is concerned. if he didn't down play it and reported exactly what he was told...i have no problem with what he did.

Those with the greatest power have the greatest responsibility. He can be out front, he can apologize, he can hide behind protocol. He was tested and he failed in the worst way possible. This should be the first line in any reminiscence about his career - allowed a predator to do his worst, just as long as he didn't see it and it wasn't on his campus.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

That right is the part I have a problem in all of this...is his downplaying of what was reported to him to minimize damage to his friend. There's a reason I gather I have a photo of the two of them together at the start of this thread.

Peace

that's the key as far as joe pa is concerned. if he didn't down play it and reported exactly what he was told...i have no problem with what he did.

Those with the greatest power have the greatest responsibility. He can be out front, he can apologize, he can hide behind protocol. He was tested and he failed in the worst way possible. This should be the first line in any reminiscence about his career - allowed a predator to do his worst, just as long as he didn't see it and it wasn't on his campus.

yes, assuming he knew - even if all he knew was Sandusky and child naked together, why did he not follow up?, why did he not question why Sandusky was allowed to continue working with children?, why did he not do everything he could to prevent others from being victimized?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This will not go over well here but I'm going to post it either way.

http://onwardstate.com/2011/11/09/pater ... hers-hide/

thats pretty awful.

I dont know how anyone could go to that game and cheer, based on what the game and program symbolizes right now.

This is such a horrific crime, and it appears the cover-up has facilitated the program to some degree. That is the hall of nightmares for some people based on some absolutely traumatic events.

I actually think Penn State needs to turf the season.

I do think Paterno is taking too much of a brunt of this. The damage has and will be done to him and his 60 year legacy

but its really shallow to think that attending the game Saturday can be some sort of escape from this

i don't think Paterno should be coaching this weekend but there is no reason to punish the 90 or so players on the team for actions a few adults in positions of authority above them made or did not make. punish those who made the errors swiftly and appropriately and start the healing process. even in horrible times life continues on a daily basis.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,763
    Paterno should be in jail too. He knew Sandusky raped a boy in the football facility and did nothing. Worse than that is that Sandusky was still allowed around the facilities WITH other young boys.

Everytime he saw Sandusky with a young boy he had to flashback to what he knew happened in that shower.

I have zero respect for him at this point.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    pjhawks wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This will not go over well here but I'm going to post it either way.

http://onwardstate.com/2011/11/09/pater ... hers-hide/

thats pretty awful.

I dont know how anyone could go to that game and cheer, based on what the game and program symbolizes right now.

This is such a horrific crime, and it appears the cover-up has facilitated the program to some degree. That is the hall of nightmares for some people based on some absolutely traumatic events.

I actually think Penn State needs to turf the season.

I do think Paterno is taking too much of a brunt of this. The damage has and will be done to him and his 60 year legacy

but its really shallow to think that attending the game Saturday can be some sort of escape from this

i don't think Paterno should be coaching this weekend but there is no reason to punish the 90 or so players on the team for actions a few adults in positions of authority above them made or did not make. punish those who made the errors swiftly and appropriately and start the healing process. even in horrible times life continues on a daily basis.

I agree. I think the University needs to separate itself from the individuals involved immediately and begin the process of restoring integrity.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    Paterno should be in jail too. He knew Sandusky raped a boy in the football facility and did nothing. Worse than that is that Sandusky was still allowed around the facilities WITH other young boys.

Everytime he saw Sandusky with a young boy he had to flashback to what he knew happened in that shower.

Your 2nd paragraph is wrong. I am certain he didn't. He is worried about himself and only himself. He didn't care. All he wanted was for it to go away. So, I'm sure he never thought of it again. A normal human being would. It's clear he and mike mcqueary aren't.
    ComeToTX wrote:

I wonder from the statement from Joe P. saying "a lot of people were fooled" if that means maybe he did confront Sandusky at some point and that Sandusky assured him it wouldn't happen again. I guess I am still saying that until we know more, it is difficult to judge.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    What he did for PSU in 61 years was help cover up the fact young kids were getting raped on his watch in facilites in which he helped get built. Hope you enjoyed the ride Joe because it's over and I hope the players decide to not play this Saturday. Football will not be an escape, it's the reason all this happened. Ask those families and kids if they'll be escaping during the game on Saturday.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I wonder from the statement from Joe P. saying "a lot of people were fooled" if that means maybe he did confront Sandusky at some point and that Sandusky assured him it wouldn't happen again. I guess I am still saying that until we know more, it is difficult to judge.

Don't buy it. If there was witness to this, I don't care if it's my brother. I'm turning him in.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Don't buy it. If there was witness to this, I don't care if it's my brother. I'm turning him in.

trust me, I am in agreement with you. I am just thinking there is a lot more to this that we don't know
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,763
    there's plenty we don't know but i expect everything to come out will make him look worse, not better.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

trust me, I am in agreement with you. I am just thinking there is a lot more to this that we don't know

Definitely. But, at the very least it shows where joes priorities lie. I wish one of his former players would come out publicly against him even if it's just - if any of this is true, Joe should no longer be the face of our university. He continues to be selfish. Now Saturday is about him rather than the seniors on seniors day. Pathetic.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    there's plenty we don't know but i expect everything to come out will make him look worse, not better.

you could be very right.

important thing, although late for many of the victims, is that Sandusky won't be harming anyone again.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Definitely. But, at the very least it shows where joes priorities lie. I wish one of his former players would come out publicly against him even if it's just - if any of this is true, Joe should no longer be the face of our university. He continues to be selfish. Now Saturday is about him rather than the seniors on seniors day. Pathetic.

that is why I think he should be removed now - the university needs to separate itself from him immediately
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:

important thing, although late for many of the victims, is that Sandusky won't be harming anyone again.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Paterno should be in jail too. He knew Sandusky raped a boy in the football facility and did nothing. Worse than that is that Sandusky was still allowed around the facilities WITH other young boys

Everytime he saw Sandusky with a young boy he had to flashback to what he knew
    happened in that shower.

I think Joe and others had PSU's football program on their minds more than anything else Sandusky had done in the past. Joe and mike should be no where close to the field.

Peace

Your 2nd paragraph is wrong. I am certain he didn't. He is worried about himself and only himself. He didn't care. All he wanted was for it to go away. So, I'm sure he never thought of it again. A normal human being would. It's clear he and mike mcqueary aren't.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• rick1zoo2 wrote:

I really hope this is true. Ridiculous that it took so long for him to be banned from spending time alone with his grandkids. He abused so many kids in his own home, presumably while his wife and other family members were home, so even though someone else must be present, there's no guarantee that they'll be safe.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    A blue out saturday with all proceeds going to charity. Very classy students
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

If they cheer paterno, the charity is blood money. If they turn their backs, then bravo.

Glad they will be donating money, but giving money is for their conscience if they cheer.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    "In State College, Penn State students appear to fully support Paterno, missing the irony that the roughly 10-year-old kid in that alleged incident in 2002 would be a college student today. Maybe a Penn State student. Maybe that kid is a Penn State student. Nobody knows who he is, and if that's the way he wants it, I hope we never find out. His identity is his business, not ours.

But the irony is incredible. Penn State students have spent the past few days marching all over campus -- to Paterno's house, to the stadium and even to the campus nerve center, a beautiful building called Old Main. They have marched in support of Paterno. They believe he should coach this Saturday, and as long as he wants to coach. That's their position.

In less biased and more mature circles, the position is different. Paterno cannot coach Saturday, just as receivers coach Mike McQueary cannot coach Saturday, and PSU president Graham Spanier can't (and apparently won't) still be the school president Saturday, and the "on leave" AD, Tim Curley, shouldn't still have the make-believe option of returning to his office ever again. Anyone who knew about the allegations against Jerry Sandusky in 2002 -- a list that started with McQueary, who told Paterno, who told Curley -- cannot represent the school. Not in an official capacity.

Not ever again.

Paterno has thrown out his challenge:

The Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status.

And now I've thrown out mine:

Not one more day as head coach, BOT. Not for Joe Paterno. Call it a firing, call it a resignation, call it a retirement. Call it whatever you want.

But call it over."

I completely, completely agree with this. Paterno needs to be done as of now. Everyone else associated with this situation is, and so should he.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

classy would be the opposite of how those outside his house acted last night. those kids were annoying as hell.

this is a good thing though.
    www.myspace.com
  • The more I read and hear about this the more sick to my stomach I become.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    that is why I think he should be removed now - the university needs to separate itself from him immediately

the University IS the problem ...
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    norm wrote:

I have no problem cheering for the kids in uniform Saturday. The current players did nothing wrong. I'll cheer on the basketball teams, wrestling, volleyball etc...

There are close to 650,000 students, faculty and alumni of Penn State in this country. I'm not going to let the utter stupidity of 10 or so bring down what the Penn State name means to me.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    norm wrote:

I have no problem cheering for the kids in uniform Saturday. The current players did nothing wrong. I'll cheer on the basketball teams, wrestling, volleyball etc...

There are close to 650,000 students, faculty and alumni of Penn State in this country. I'm not going to let the utter stupidity of 10 or so bring down what the Penn State name means to me.

I think that everyone needs to band together and support the current players and, in general, Penn State. I just don't think Paterno should be there- which also seems to be what the author was talking about.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    norm wrote:

Same here, players had nothing to do with any of this and im not a PSU SPORTS cheering fan...academics yes sports no. Just now on the radio a caller called in disgusted with JP and what he apparently facilitated...then went on to speak about how he was molested at age 10 while in tears spoke about how he lost his daughters, his 15 year marriage and ALL the other difficulties he has had to endure since being abused so young.

Just a small signal as to how far reaching a simple act of bravery BY SOMEONE up the line could've prevented a continuation of others being abused at this school. It's fareaching and will continue expand for years to come...even the host came to tears then called JP...Joe Pedofile.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• norm wrote:

I agree. I was talking about if/when they announce him or show him on the board or refer to him in any way.

I agree the kids should get to play. And the students should get to cheer them. But paterno should be treated like the scoundrel he is.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I don't know if this was mentioned (sorry if it was)...sandusky is out on bail right?? I have to imagine that the bastard is on the verge of suicide at this point. I hope he is under some type of police protection/watch so that he doesn't have the privelege of killing himself and getting out of the mess that he has created for so many. That son of a bitch deserves to go to prison and get beaten and raped for the rest of his life.

If he goes out like Luitenant Markinson I am going to be disappointed.
This discussion has been closed.