Penn State Scandal

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/ ... 6/33197750

shit is getting weird in state college
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Concern with the game is disgusting at this point. Who gives a rats ass what a fucking football team does right now. Children were abused, grown men new about it and did nothing. Anyone that cares about how the Penn State football team does against Nebraska right now is absurd.......

so because of a few dirtbags no one is allowed to like sports anymore??

what happened is disgusting but life goes on

I am looking forward to watching the game
  • Here's Paterno talking outside his house with students who gathered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0EeTD ... _embedded#!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    Hope they let Joe PA finish the season then let him go after.

You've got to be kidding. It's over for him. He doesn't deserve to finish out the season. As of right now, November 8, 2011, his college football accomplishments mean NOTHING and thus the notion of him "going out the right way" or whatever is silly. In time his football accomplishments will come back to the forefront which will be deserved. After all, it's not like HE sexually assaulted anyone. But as of today, right now, he's a disgrace and has to go.

guess that's just the PSU fan in me talking :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Every single person who stood by and didn't intervene is culpable in this situation. From the janitor and McQueary who actually witnessed assaults, to Paterno and his superiors who were told about them. We're all mandated reporters. We're all required to report suspicions of child abuse to the authorities...so anyone who suspected or knew for sure that something was happening and didn't report it is at fault. Paterno is getting the most attention because he is the most public figure, but everyone else is equally or more at blame here. But I'm sick of fucking hearing about him already. I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than Sandusky. Keep the focus on the man that actually raped countless numbers of children. It's a teachable moment for anyone who might be a potential bystander to realize they have a responsibility to report and intervene, but I think it's really important that Paterno not overshadow the focus that should be on Sandusky.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Concern with the game is disgusting at this point. Who gives a rats ass what a fucking football team does right now. Children were abused, grown men new about it and did nothing. Anyone that cares about how the Penn State football team does against Nebraska right now is absurd.......

That's not what I said. Enjoy all the sports you want. Just remember that you will be cheering for a man that knew his friend molested children and did nothing about it. Have fun at the game!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Every single person who stood by and didn't intervene is culpable in this situation. From the janitor and McQueary who actually witnessed assaults, to Paterno and his superiors who were told about them. We're all mandated reporters. We're all required to report suspicions of child abuse to the authorities...so anyone who suspected or knew for sure that something was happening and didn't report it is at fault. Paterno is getting the most attention because he is the most public figure, but everyone else is equally or more at blame here. But I'm sick of fucking hearing about him already. I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than Sandusky. Keep the focus on the man that actually raped countless numbers of children. It's a teachable moment for anyone who might be a potential bystander to realize they have a responsibility to report and intervene, but I think it's really important that Paterno not overshadow the focus that should be on Sandusky.

well said
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

That's not what I said. Enjoy all the sports you want. Just remember that you will be cheering for a man that knew his friend molested children and did nothing about it. Have fun at the game!

I said I am not a PSU fan. And I'm not going to the game...never said I was. If anything I like to see PSU lose because the people in philly think it's a local school, even though it's 3.5 hours away :roll:

I'm a sports fan that's looking forward to watching a good game on saturday
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Every single person who stood by and didn't intervene is culpable in this situation. From the janitor and McQueary who actually witnessed assaults, to Paterno and his superiors who were told about them. We're all mandated reporters. We're all required to report suspicions of child abuse to the authorities...so anyone who suspected or knew for sure that something was happening and didn't report it is at fault. Paterno is getting the most attention because he is the most public figure, but everyone else is equally or more at blame here. But I'm sick of fucking hearing about him already. I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than Sandusky. Keep the focus on the man that actually raped countless numbers of children. It's a teachable moment for anyone who might be a potential bystander to realize they have a responsibility to report and intervene, but I think it's really important that Paterno not overshadow the focus that should be on Sandusky.

thanks...i've been trying to articulate this but have been unable to
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    norm wrote:

thanks...i've been trying to articulate this but have been unable to

comebackgirl is wise beyond her years norm.

how has mike mcqueary lived with himself all these years? 1-he didn't try to stop a man from raping a 10 year old kid. 2-by all accounts he was given his coaching position in return for keeping quite about this whole thing for so long.

as a fan of this school since i was a kid, this whole thing is just beyond sad on so many levels. i can't get over it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Here's Paterno talking outside his house with students who gathered:

Utterly and positively disgusting. Both him for saying 'pray for the victims' and for those morons at his window cheering him on like he didn't do anything wrong. People suck.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Thorns2010 wrote:

Utterly and positively disgusting. Both him for saying 'pray for the victims' and for those morons at his window cheering him on like he didn't do anything wrong. People suck.

well i don't know what else he could have said there. i don't have a problem with that.

the kids cheering seem pretty disingenuous though. local news around here in philly said they were singing journey's "don't stop believin" at his house--that's just weird.
    www.myspace.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    VERY well said, comebackgirl.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112

Are we supposed to feel bad for Joe already? These kids are truly misguided, such a shame Penn State is trying to twist things once again, haven't they learned yet?
  • Every single person who stood by and didn't intervene is culpable in this situation. From the janitor and McQueary who actually witnessed assaults, to Paterno and his superiors who were told about them. We're all mandated reporters. We're all required to report suspicions of child abuse to the authorities...so anyone who suspected or knew for sure that something was happening and didn't report it is at fault. Paterno is getting the most attention because he is the most public figure, but everyone else is equally or more at blame here. But I'm sick of fucking hearing about him already. I've heard more about him in the last 24 hours than Sandusky. Keep the focus on the man that actually raped countless numbers of children. It's a teachable moment for anyone who might be a potential bystander to realize they have a responsibility to report and intervene, but I think it's really important that Paterno not overshadow the focus that should be on Sandusky.

Well, actually the teachable moment dictates we focus on those that stand by and do nothing. We all know what Sandusky did is so clearly wrong. What's teachable about what he did? It is horrendous. But we are not teaching people not to do that. It's already abundantly clear not to do that. If someone doesn't understand that already, well there's not much teaching is going to do. In fact, it is the McQuearies and Paternos - those that had the power to stop this - that we need to hold accountable and keep telling the world about. Yes, we should not let Sandusky "skate," but what these folks didnt do is the obvious "teachable moment."

Sandusky is the devil, but these folks aren't much better. Sandusky's role is clear to any human being, and should never be forgotten. But these other folks are almost equally to blame. And I'm not so sure that's as clear. At least it wasn't to those that stood by and did nothing.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

Well, actually the teachable moment dictates we focus on those that stand by and do nothing. We all know what Sandusky did is so clearly wrong. What's teachable about what he did? It is horrendous. But we are not teaching people not to do that. It's already abundantly clear not to do that. If someone doesn't understand that already, well there's not much teaching is going to do. In fact, it is the McQuearies and Paternos - those that had the power to stop this - that we need to hold accountable and keep telling the wold about. Muss, we should not let Sandusky "skate," but what these folks didnt do is the obvious "teachable moment."

Sandusky is the devil, but these folks aren't much better. Sandusky's role is clear to any human being, and should never be forgotten. But these other folks are almost equally to blame. And imnot so sure that's as clear. At least it wasn't to those that stood by and did nothing.
    Isn't that what I said? I said it was a teachable moment for bystanders - which would be those who stand by and do nothing. I think you may have misread, but thanks for reiterating that point.

Well, actually the teachable moment dictates we focus on those that stand by and do nothing. We all know what Sandusky did is so clearly wrong. What's teachable about what he did? It is horrendous. But we are not teaching people not to do that. It's already abundantly clear not to do that. If someone doesn't understand that already, well there's not much teaching is going to do. In fact, it is the McQuearies and Paternos - those that had the power to stop this - that we need to hold accountable and keep telling the wold about. Muss, we should not let Sandusky "skate," but what these folks didnt do is the obvious "teachable moment."

Sandusky is the devil, but these folks aren't much better. Sandusky's role is clear to any human being, and should never be forgotten. But these other folks are almost equally to blame. And imnot so sure that's as clear. At least it wasn't to those that stood by and did nothing.
    Isn't that what I said? I said it was a teachable moment for bystanders - which would be those who stand by and do nothing. I think you may have misread, but thanks for reiterating that point.

You are right. I missed that line as your last one seems to contradict it. But that's my bad reading. Focusing on these clowns could never overshadow what Sandusky did. My bad.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    He should definitely take a fall he's nothing but a gutless coward as is paterno. Fuck the both of them.
    g under p wrote:
    I bet you anything McQueary becomes a fall guy in all of this and this link of events started with what he witnessed. It shouldn't be that way you watch he will probably leave PS and if he does so should Joe Paterno. This is truly a mess.

Peace

The more I look into this the more I'm believing ol Joe is just as culpable. When I read into GJ report what McQueary told Joe that Sandusky did....

.."He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be 10 years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that both Victim 2 and Sandusky saw him. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught."

Then it went from that testimony from McQueary to what apparently joe testified...

...."Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."

If that's the case it appears to me Joe Paterno willfully was downplaying what his friend and assistant coach did in that shower. If he said just that to the GJ AND ONLY told his superiors is just not enough......he needs to leave and leave immediately.

Joe Paterno has 13 grand children if one of them was in the same situation as victim #2 would he have handled this scenario in the same manner? They all need to go now including McQueary.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• No problem. My last line is about where I think the focus should be directed. I run an entire program about bystander intervention at a college, so I certainly understand the importance and am glad attention is being paid, but Penn State is s fucking circus right now. Ten minutes on the news about students singing to Paterno and a brief mention that Sandusky is now barred from being alone with his grandkids (fucking finally). Ridiculous.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,236
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-5 ... d-touched/

What a book title from this prick :shock: ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,236
    norm wrote:

No doubt these students are totally clueless , the fact of the matter is that no one became a hero for the kids that were assulted they didn't have a hero to look too !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I really want someone to try and interview McQueary. I mean, I really want someone to ask him what kind of man sees a little boy getting assaulted in the shower and runs away?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    I really want someone to try and interview McQueary. I mean, I really want someone to ask him what kind of man sees a little boy getting assaulted in the shower and runs away?

@ are you doing....stop interrupt help the kid since he was able to determine it was a boy....be some kind of hero. THEN call Dad or if he chose to do nothing but man help the child out of that situation immediately.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• images-1.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    ncf_aquavivas_cr_300.jpg

This scandal has forced me to step back and consider instances in the past and see if I've failed this mantra. I've not witnessed anything close to a sexual assault, but have I stood by silent in the past when a bully or co-worker has emotional attacked someone I know? Have I ever witnessed a friend or neighbor be to aggressive with their kids (physically or emotionally) and not confront them? Have I seen a good friend display signs of aggressiveness or violence with someone they are dating and rationalize it, even though I should know that the aggressiveness may multiple ten-fold when they are in private?

Hard to say because the human mind usually suppresses these memories. Nothing in my past memory particularly stands out, but perhaps I've chosen to forget it subconsciously.

There are some important lessons to be learned by all of us.

I'm hopeful that we will all be better at confronting evil in the future. Otherwise, we shouldn't be casting stones in a glass house.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I don't understand all this sympathy for Joe Pa's legacy. Everyone saying he did what he was supposed to do and those people dropped the ball. I can't believe that after working with this guy for 30+ years and then hearing about this incident that he could've done more.

Joe is the most powerful person at that university and if he wanted to do something about this diddler it would've been done.

It's a shame his legacy will end this way but so be it.

I heard at one point the students were chanting, "tastes great, less filling." All they see is there school being dragged through the mud.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    AP report says JOE Paterno will retire at the end of the season. Should both Joe and McQueary be on the sidelines this weekend coaching?

Peace

• Story just came across Paterno to retire at end of season. The only thing that matters at Penn State is football.
  • g under p wrote:
    AP report says JOE Paterno will retire at the end of the season. Should both Joe and McQueary be on the sidelines this weekend coaching?

Peace

McQueary should seek out the Wizard to get some courage....not unlike the Lion.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    im reading the indictment now...wow fucked up shit
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
This discussion has been closed.