Penn State Scandal

Comments

• i haven't read the 23 page grand jury report yet, but i'm curious what got the investigation going... and how long ago?

i'm assuming one of the victims came forward, but how long ago was that?
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Whoever said that this is a house of cards is right on point. I kinda feel bad for Joe Pa. He probably should have done a better job of reporting what he knew, but it sucks that he's going out like this (and I'm not a PSU fan by any means)
    I'm sorry, I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for Joe Pa. He knew his friend was abusing boys, and didn't call the cops. Dude is scum.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NoCode416 wrote:
    i haven't read the 23 page grand jury report yet, but i'm curious what got the investigation going... and how long ago?

Here's the report if you want to read it. It's reads like a horror story so I'd advise not eating right before reading it: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploaded ... ntment.pdf
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • NoCode416 wrote:
    i haven't read the 23 page grand jury report yet, but i'm curious what got the investigation going... and how long ago?

Well, there was one report in 1998 (McQueary) and one in 2002 (the janitor who nearly had a heart attack as described by 2 people to the grand jury, but is now suffering from dementia). But, I think this investigation started in earnest the beginning of the year/late 2010 when Sandusky informed his charity he was under investigation. I'd have to re-read it to get the exact time frame and "cause."

You need to read the report. Even if you skip the graphic parts and follow the time line of what happened, it's really sad and makes you realize there are about a half dozen times when this could have been stopped and wasn't.

Here's some other instances - a wrestling coach walks in on him lying with a boy in a back work out room and Sandusky jumps up and says they were practicing wrestling moves - but Sandusky's never wrestled and there's a bigger wrestling room in the front the coach wonders to the grand jury.

It's a really, really sad story with some really obvious signals (I mean wifey - weren't you wondering where your husband was sneaking off to all those times when he was going down to the basement to "meet with" the boy he just invited to sleep over? )

This really has nothing to do with a cover up. It's something MUCH, MUCH worse.

EDIt: I think I have the years on McQueary and the janitor backward.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • NoCode416 wrote:

Well, there was one report in 1998 (McQueary) and one in 2002 (the janitor who nearly had a heart attack as described by 2 people to the grand jury, but is now suffering from dementia). But, I think this investigation started in earnest the beginning of the year/late 2010 when Sandusky informed his charity he was under investigation. I'd have to re-read it to get the exact time frame and "cause."

You need to read the report. Even if you skip the graphic parts and follow the time line of what happened, it's really sad and makes you realize there are about a half dozen times when this could have been stopped and wasn't.

Here's some other instances - a wrestling coach walks in on him lying with a boy in a back work out room and Sandusky jumps up and says they were practicing wrestling moves - but Sandusky's never wrestled and there's a bigger wrestling room in the front the coach wonders to the grand jury.

It's a really, really sad story with some really obvious signals (I mean wifey - weren't you wondering where your husband was sneaking off to all those times when he was going down to the basement to "meet with" the boy he just invited to sleep over? )

i emailed the PDF file of the report to myself... i'll read it tonight... i glanced at the first two pages, saw "victim one" on the heading... will be a tough read for sure.

i wonder if j-pa was aware of the GJ investigation? ...i almost want to think he somehow wasn't aware, or else he would have realized that this might explode as it has (and he would have retired already).
  • It depends on what you mean. There was a criminal investigation into Sandusky back in 1998 when 2 young boys accused him of molesting them. For some reason, the DA decided not to prosecute. The DA went missing in 2005 and was declared dead 2-3 months ago but his body's never been found. From what I read, people who knew him said he wasn't one to be influenced by powerful people to avoid prosecuting a case nor was he the type to prosecute a high-profile case just to gain notoriety. It's not known why he didn't prosecute the case, but it was shortly after that investigation that Penn State told Sandusky that he was no longer the "heir apparent" to Paterno and he "retired." The school obviously knew about the investigation and still allowed him to hold his youth football camps at the school and still failed to report the 2002 incident to the police.

These new allegations first came up in 2009 when Sandusky was a volunteer assistant coach at a high school in Clinton County, PA. A boy told his mother that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, the mother told the school, and the school called the police immediately. (emphasis added to show the difference in how that school reacted and how Penn State reacted). Can you imagine how that victim from 2009 feels and how his family feels knowing that this scumbag was only able to do what he did because the legendary Penn State football program hid was he did 7 years earlier on their campus?

NoCode416 wrote:

• It depends on what you mean. There was a criminal investigation into Sandusky back in 1998 when 2 young boys accused him of molesting them. For some reason, the DA decided not to prosecute. The DA went missing in 2005 and was declared dead 2-3 months ago but his body's never been found. From what I read, people who knew him said he wasn't one to be influenced by powerful people to avoid prosecuting a case nor was he the type to prosecute a high-profile case just to gain notoriety. It's not known why he didn't prosecute the case, but it was shortly after that investigation that Penn State told Sandusky that he was no longer the "heir apparent" to Paterno and he "retired." The school obviously knew about the investigation and still allowed him to hold his youth football camps at the school and still failed to report the 2002 incident to the police.

These new allegations first came up in 2009 when Sandusky was a volunteer assistant coach at a high school in Clinton County, PA. A boy told his mother that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, the mother told the school, and the school called the police immediately. (emphasis added to show the difference in how that school reacted and how Penn State reacted). Can you imagine how that victim from 2009 feels and how his family feels knowing that this scumbag was only able to do what he did because the legendary Penn State football program hid was he did 7 years earlier on their campus?

wow... i was referring to the new allegations that led to the grand jury investigation. but the first part is much more "involved" than i would have imagined...
  • "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    NoCode416 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:

i emailed the PDF file of the report to myself... i'll read it tonight... i glanced at the first two pages, saw "victim one" on the heading... will be a tough read for sure.

i wonder if j-pa was aware of the GJ investigation? ...i almost want to think he somehow wasn't aware, or else he would have realized that this might explode as it has (and he would have retired already).

he testified in front of the grand jury, he absolutely was aware of it
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,236
    The Fixer wrote:
    Whoever said that this is a house of cards is right on point. I kinda feel bad for Joe Pa. He probably should have done a better job of reporting what he knew, but it sucks that he's going out like this (and I'm not a PSU fan by any means)
    I'm sorry, I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for Joe Pa. He knew his friend was abusing boys, and didn't call the cops. Dude is scum.

Totally agree, the old scum new about it and did nothing the 1st thing he should of done is call the cops i don't feel an ounce of pitty for him or anyone involved in the cover up at all may they rot in their death beds .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Sounds like Spanier may be out tomorrow, before Joe even.

Looks like a lot of support is popping up around around campus from students for Paterno. Very mixed feelings I am sure.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Looks like a lot of support is popping up around around campus from students for Paterno. Very mixed feelings I am sure.

That to me that is fucked ....
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think nebraska blows, but they are looking like a really good bet on saturday. It is going to be a fucking circus at that game
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Curley (who is still employed somehow even though Sandusky was his responsibility) and Schultz should be the first to go, Spanier second then McQueary then Paterno. He is the only one that did the right thing at all, even if it was the bare minimum. There is a lot of blame to go around, but out of all of these guys Paterno is the last on the totum pole.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think nebraska blows, but they are looking like a really good bet on saturday. It is going to be a fucking circus at that game

Yeah, it's going to be a disaster. I am thinking about going, tickets have gone up quite a bit since this morning with this almost certainly his last home game.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

they all should be gone. i don't see how anyone can defend paterno in this case at this point. should be out today. let bradley coach the rest of the year.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, it's going to be a disaster. I am thinking about going, tickets have gone up quite a bit since this morning with this almost certainly his last home game.

shit, I didnt even think about it being his last home game. going to be fascinating to watch if he's allowed to coach. Will the team rally around him or be demoralized from all of the nonsense? How will the crowd react to the team and coaches?

The circumstances of this scenario are certainly unfortunate, but these types of games are why sports is so great. Talk about high drama.

Not to mention it's a big fucking game (yes I know this should all be secondary with all that's transpired over the last few days)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Curley (who is still employed somehow even though Sandusky was his responsibility) and Schultz should be the first to go, Spanier second then McQueary then Paterno. He is the only one that did the right thing at all, even if it was the bare minimum. There is a lot of blame to go around, but out of all of these guys Paterno is the last on the totum pole.

To me it falls right on the lap of Paterno he could of just called the cops the 1st time he heard of the crimes , wouldn't you if you knew your good friend was doing that to kids :?: i know i would and probably beat the fuck out of him ....with one phone call he could of saved other kids from getting hurt ....
    To me it falls right on the lap of Paterno he could of just called the cops the 1st time he heard of the crimes , wouldn't you if you knew your good friend was doing that to kids :?: i know i would and probably beat the fuck out of him ....with one phone call he could of saved other kids from getting hurt ....

So its his fault more than the guy who saw it and didn't call the cops? Makes a lot of sense. I am not going through this all gain. I think I would have, but I have never been in that situation. He did the bare minimum but he did more than anyone else.
    The Fixer wrote:

shit, I didnt even think about it being his last home game. going to be fascinating to watch if he's allowed to coach. Will the team rally around him or be demoralized from all of the nonsense? How will the crowd react to the team and coaches?

The circumstances of this scenario are certainly unfortunate, but these types of games are why sports is so great. Talk about high drama.

Not to mention it's a big fucking game (yes I know this should all be secondary with all that's transpired over the last few days)

Yeah, it is certainly going to be interesting. I have no idea how the team will react, but most of his players typically love him, so we will see. It is going to be a really strange atmosphere and I have no idea what to expect. What does he say to his team in practice today? How does he and the rest of the staff keep them focused? Football is definitely secondary, but it is an interesting storyline. Fuck, while unlikely, Penn State has a chance to win the Big Ten.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So its his fault more than the guy who saw it and didn't call the cops? Makes a lot of sense. I am not going through this all gain. I think I would have, but I have never been in that situation. He did the bare minimum but he did more than anyone else.

Yes his' just as much at fault surely you can see that no ?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes his' just as much at fault surely you can see that no ?

Everyone is at fucking fault, there is no question. But he is the only one that did anything about it. Everyone else covered it up and lied. He did not do anywhere near close to enough, clearly, but he did more than anyone else, people who were actually responsible for Sandusky and the athletic department. I am clearly very biased and nothing is going to change that.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,846
    edited November 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, it is certainly going to be interesting. I have no idea how the team will react, but most of his players typically love him, so we will see. It is going to be a really strange atmosphere and I have no idea what to expect. What does he say to his team in practice today? How does he and the rest of the staff keep them focused? Football is definitely secondary, but it is an interesting storyline. Fuck, while unlikely, Penn State has a chance to win the Big Ten.

I think he's gonna resign tomorrow or Thursday. There's no way he coaches Saturday. If he does, he's thumbing his nose at everybody from the boys who were assaulted to the boosters and fans who support him. It's over for Joe.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Tom Corbett is in town.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I think he's gonna resign tomorrow or Thursday. There's no way he coaches Saturday. If he does, he's thumbing his nose at everybody from the boys who were assaulted to the boosters and fans who support him. It's over for Joe.

I agree how could he coach under this black cloud ....
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Concern with the game is disgusting at this point. Who gives a rats ass what a fucking football team does right now. Children were abused, grown men new about it and did nothing. Anyone that cares about how the Penn State football team does against Nebraska right now is absurd.......
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Concern with the game is disgusting at this point. Who gives a rats ass what a fucking football team does right now. Children were abused, grown men new about it and did nothing. Anyone that cares about how the Penn State football team does against Nebraska right now is absurd.......

Totally agree 100% ....Fuck the game ...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    Hope they let Joe PA finish the season then let him go after. Sad day for PSU fans :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Hope they let Joe PA finish the season then let him go after. Sad day for PSU fans :(

I hope they let Joe feel what all the boys after he found out felt. Then and only then should he have the privilege of coaching. What gets me is if I didn't do what he didn't do and all this came out, I wouldn't even feel I deserved to coach. I guess we will see a little more glimpse of his and his supporters character before this week is out one way or another.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Hope they let Joe PA finish the season then let him go after.

You've got to be kidding. It's over for him. He doesn't deserve to finish out the season. As of right now, November 8, 2011, his college football accomplishments mean NOTHING and thus the notion of him "going out the right way" or whatever is silly. In time his football accomplishments will come back to the forefront which will be deserved. After all, it's not like HE sexually assaulted anyone. But as of today, right now, he's a disgrace and has to go.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.