Penn State Scandal

Comments

• tybird wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sport ... -exit.html

I am in shock at this entire situation. My grandfathers 100th birthday is next Wednesday, I couldn't be more upset for the guy. There are not many people in this world that are as close to Penn State and the football program as he is, which is a major reason I have had the opinions I have had recently. I am speechless.

just saw that...they cancelled his press conference today. at his age, i couldn't see him handling the barrage of questions that were going to be hurled his way too well.

sad times all around....
    True....don't throw him out there, especially if the Board of Trustees is working on his exit. JoePa needs to reach out to the victims with his wallet now.....therapy ain't free and the pharmacy does not give those anti-depressants away for free.

It's Graham Spencer hiding behind closed doors... How many days are we on now? And the last thing we've heard from the President is last week when he said that the other two scumbags had his unconditional support.

Spencer, you are going to get fired... at least get out there and take the questions like a man, you little weasel.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Because of any type of action, this is getting totally away from PSU...

Apparently Joe Paterno's son is working on setting up an off campus press conference for Joe to speak at.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what it basically comes down to now is $$ ...

the school is now in full damage control ... there will be a huge civil suit and at this point - anything anyone says is likely to add zeroes onto the settlement ... it's a full scale PR lockdown now ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Apparently Joe Paterno's son is working on setting up an off campus press conference for Joe to speak at.

Where are you seeing this?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

https://twitter.com/#!/Ben_Jones88/stat ... 0862104576
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

https://twitter.com/#!/Ben_Jones88/stat ... 0862104576

Jesus chirst, if this wasn't ugly already.
    Scott Paterno's twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottPaterno
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Because of any type of action, this is getting totally away from PSU...

They're fighting to see who gets thrown under the bus.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    polaris_x wrote:
    what it basically comes down to now is $$ ...

the school is now in full damage control ... there will be a huge civil suit and at this point - anything anyone says is likely to add zeroes onto the settlement ... it's a full scale PR lockdown now ...

I believe you are absolutely right because you can bet lawsuits are coming and likely a settlement from PSU just save money and save face.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    My wife worked at some of Sandusky's camps while she was attending PSU. She said he would come through and visit every now and then. She said he gave her the creeps...she wasn't all that surprised to hear the news when it broke.

She said it really is a shame for these kids. Most of them already have issues when they get to these camps.

Whoever said that this is a house of cards is right on point. I kinda feel bad for Joe Pa. He probably should have done a better job of reporting what he knew, but it sucks that he's going out like this (and I'm not a PSU fan by any means)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Fixer wrote:
    Whoever said that this is a house of cards is right on point. I kinda feel bad for Joe Pa. He probably should have done a better job of reporting what he knew, but it sucks that he's going out like this (and I'm not a PSU fan by any means)
    Agreed.
    g under p wrote:
    I believe you are absolutely right because you can bet lawsuits are coming and likely a settlement from PSU just save money and save face.

Peace

the lawyers have come in and its full lockdown ... the settlement is gonna be large ...
    alums are burning their diplomas on the school steps
    norm wrote:

Dude, you are on top of this. What are you following?
  • tybird wrote:
    JoePa needs to reach out to the victims with his wallet now.....therapy ain't free and the pharmacy does not give those anti-depressants away for free.

Nice thought but that won't happen. He needs to go away NOW and never come back. He should resign immediately or they should just fire him. The whole university has been exposed, the notion of "JoePa riding off into the sunset" is dead, lose him now and start over.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    norm wrote:
    u SERIOUS?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    norm wrote:
    u SERIOUS?

http://twitpic.com/7c6cy8
  • norm wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    norm wrote:
    u SERIOUS?

http://twitpic.com/7c6cy8
    That's actually his electric bill
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,236
    Fucking sad situation i really feel bad for the kids that have been hurt and i also feel bad for the athletes and alumni but for JP to have not called the police the Mnt he found out about this is totally negligent who knows how many kids might of been saved from this fucking monster ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Nice thought but that won't happen. He needs to go away NOW and never come back. He should resign immediately or they should just fire him. The whole university has been exposed, the notion of "JoePa riding off into the sunset" is dead, lose him now and start over.

it can be hypothesized that this is what caused the problems to begin with ... trying to manipulate a situation rather than coming clean ...
    polaris_x wrote:

it can be hypothesized that this is what caused the problems to begin with ... trying to manipulate a situation rather than coming clean ...

For all we know we could be asking for Go Pa to be fired by people that were in on the cover-up.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • polaris_x wrote:

Right... You hear a lot of the media saying in amazement how terrible Penn State is handling this scandal (or not handling it). Is it really a shock looking at how they handled the crimes to begin with?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • This whole thing is fucking disturbing. I don't even want to read any more of these stories about it...
  • This whole thing is fucking disturbing. I don't even want to read any more of these stories about it...

I know... I've been intentional focusing my reading/ranting on those involved at the university. I tried to read an article this morning about a couple of the victims, and I couldn't get more than a few paragraphs in. It's so disturbing and horrifying...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • From twitter

The day care center on Nike's campus in Oregon is called the Joe Paterno Child Development Center.
  • So Penn State is reportedly "planning Paterno's exit." Like what the heck is that? Nobody's above getting their ass fired on the spot. Especially when your actions (or lack thereof) allow a child-rapist to continue running an organization that gives him constant access to children. He really should be charged with criminal negligence...but instead he'll just watch the games at home from now on.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • So Penn State is reportedly "planning Paterno's exit." Like what the heck is that? Nobody's above getting their ass fired on the spot. Especially when your actions (or lack thereof) allow a child-rapist to continue running an organization that gives him constant access to children. He really should be charged with criminal negligence...but instead he'll just watch the games at home from now on.

Yeah. This is pathetic. If there is a textbook about how to mishandle a situation, Penn State is re-writing it. Planning? Really?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

I am in shock at this entire situation. My grandfathers 100th birthday is next Wednesday, I couldn't be more upset for the guy. There are not many people in this world that are as close to Penn State and the football program as he is, which is a major reason I have had the opinions I have had recently. I am speechless.

just saw that...they cancelled his press conference today. at his age, i couldn't see him handling the barrage of questions that were going to be hurled his way too well.

sad times all around....
    Asshole deserves every question thrown at him.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • STATE COLLEGE (AP) -- Joe Paterno's support among the Penn State board of trustees was described as "eroding" Tuesday, threatening to end the 84-year-old coach's career amid a child sex-abuse scandal involving a former assistant and one-time heir apparent.

A person familiar with the trustees' discussions and who used the term "eroding" said it was unclear what the consequences for Paterno will be and that a decision could be rendered before the board meets on Friday.

Penn State President Graham Spanier has also lost support among the Board of Trustees, the person said, but again, how much was unclear.

Paterno's son, Scott, said his father hasn't spoken with Penn State officials or trustees about stepping down. Addressing reporters outside his father's house, he said Joe Paterno plans to not only coach in Saturday's game against Nebraska, but for the long haul.

"No one has asked Joe to resign," Scott Paterno told The AP in a text message.

Taken from the AP
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

sad times all around....
    Asshole deserves every question thrown at him.
    In his defense, it's being reported that the president canceled the conference.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
This discussion has been closed.