Penn State Scandal

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    polaris_x wrote:
    wow ... in reading all this stuff ... makes one consider those moments in time ... those moments when your moral fortitude is put to a very real test ... in my opinion ... many people fail these tests ... we like to think we would do the right thing every time ... but you never know until that moment comes ...

i'm not absolving mcquery here ... but we don't really know the culture back then ... people on this board get bent out of shape if you rat a scalper out or someone who's making a profit on PJ merch ... obviously, these guys will say this is completely different, either way - my point is simply that there may have been a culture that made mcquery not act in a way that i am sure he surely wishes he had ... again - i'm just throwing it out there ...

people get tested all the time and people often fail

Pretty much what you said.

http://deadspin.com/5857014/jerry-sandu ... te-scandal
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Good point polaris. It's easy to think we would've done something different until you're actually in a difficult situation.

Go(Joe) Pa press conference for the Nebraska game canceled.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Holy horrible crisis management Penn State... Apparently Graham Spanier just cancelled Paterno's weekly press conference 40 minutes before it's scheduled start.

I wonder how much of it is that they don't want an 83 year old man out there fielding these questions? Seeing how horrendously they have handled this scandal after the indictments came down, it's no surprised how horribly they "handled" the situation to begin with.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Earlier PSU put out a statement that they only wanted football related questions. Yeah, that was going to happen.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    Earlier PSU put out a statement that they only wanted football related questions. Yeah, that was going to happen.

I can't beleive they even considered it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • McQueary and his dad should be held accountable, as well. I don't care. Yes, there are times when our moral character is tested, and we don't know how we would have acted considering the circumstances. But, that's not terribly relevant. We know how he acted and what the result was.

This much is clear:

1) He stayed with the program after an obvious assalut took place.
    2) He used his quiet either directly or indirectly to advance (he is now Wide Receivers coach).

So, even in that moment if he did not have the moral fortitude, there was plenty of opportunities after. He and his father made a plan either consciously or unconsciously that financially and professonally going to the authorities is not the right move.

I don't promote suicide, but if it happened in this case I could understand. I live with small regrets all the time that crop up in my brain from time to time (why did I yell at my son?, etc) that eat me up. This would consume me. Of course, I'd like to think at some point in my promotion schedule I would have spoken up. From that point forward, he is as culpable as Sundusky as to what happened to those kids. Yes, the institution failed to follow up. But, he was an eye witness to a rape of a 10 year old boy. And basically, followed some protocol that never considered this type of behavior. You go to the police. There is no grey area here. This is not some child reporting it (which is bad enough) that maybe you give some benefit of the doubt and seek counsel to get help to find out the truth about the accusations. HE SAW THE RAPE!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

From big-time college football to the Catholic church to Wall Street to government agencies, you'll find that people almost always choose to cover their ass and protect their jobs (and friends) rather than do the right thing.

sad but true ... :(
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Hopefully the rescheduling of the conference to is reschedule another and have paterno resign..you peeps can say all you want about "you dont know what you would do until your in those shoes" blah blah blah but the bottom line is that ALL THOSE SICK FUCKERS INCLUDING PATERNO..covered this up to protect the football program and rest of universtity.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    polaris_x wrote:
    wow ... in reading all this stuff ... makes one consider those moments in time ... those moments when your moral fortitude is put to a very real test ... in my opinion ... many people fail these tests ... we like to think we would do the right thing every time ... but you never know until that moment comes ...

i'm not absolving mcquery here ... but we don't really know the culture back then ... people on this board get bent out of shape if you rat a scalper out or someone who's making a profit on PJ merch ... obviously, these guys will say this is completely different, either way - my point is simply that there may have been a culture that made mcquery not act in a way that i am sure he surely wishes he had ... again - i'm just throwing it out there ...

people get tested all the time and people often fail

Yes we do get tested ALL the time BUT we must act when the need is apparent. Same school where I was teaching....while taking my children out for some field exercise and fun. All were excited and loud but some how I happened to hear screaming in the background. I told my kids to be quiet so I could listen...the screaming continued I went to investigate through our school front door was our weight room and in there was this teenager turning blue with seemed like a half a ton of weights choking him to death. I mean I couldn't budge the thing in that critical moment so I said loudly you go this way I'll lift this way on 2. We did and he was able to get from under all that bench press weight. The boy recovered but if he was there for another minute he would not have survived.

My point sometimes we must act regardless of distractions, culture or sometimes your own job consequences. I acted and the boy lived he was very thankful I did.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Wma31394 wrote:
    Hopefully the rescheduling of the conference to is reschedule another and have paterno resign..you peeps can say all you want about "you dont know what you would do until your in those shoes" blah blah blah but the bottom line is that ALL THOSE SICK FUCKERS INCLUDING PATERNO..covered this up to protect the football program and rest of universtity.

He should not be given the dignity of a resignation.

And he should not be at Seniors' Day this Saturday.

He is a disgrace. He knew something. Sandusky went from heir apparent to "retired" a year after the incident, and Joe thought that was enough. Shame on him.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    JK_Livin wrote:

It would have been better to field questions because this is only going to get worse.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Wma31394 wrote:

He is a disgrace. He knew something. Sandusky went from heir apparent to "retired" a year after the incident, and Joe thought that was enough. Shame on him.

Your right!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    g under p wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

It would have been better to field questions because this is only going to get worse.

Peace
    How many times could Go (Joe)Pa say, "I did what I legally was supposed to do...." I suspect that he would collapse under the assault of questions....it's still the coward's way out
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Wma31394 wrote:

I agree with that HE KNEW SOMETHING and makes you wonder why this guy just retired in such a short time after the incident.

Peace

• Apparently McQueary wasn't the only one who actually witnessed the abuse. The grand jury report lists an account in which a janitor saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a boy as well. He went and told his supervisor, who told him how to go about placing a report if he wanted to, but that incident was never reported either. Seems like a whole lot of people knew what was going on and no one stepped in to stop it.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    Starting to hear some reports Joe Paterno won't be back next year....can anyone confirm this?

Peace

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    g under p wrote:
    Starting to hear some reports Joe Paterno won't be back next year....can anyone confirm this?

Peace

I would be surprised if he makes it until Saturday's game
    edited November 2011
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    Peter Thamel of the New York Times and Mark C. Viera are reporting it on Twitter

The Board of Trustees apparently have some guts among them.
    Post edited by tybird on
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    Peter Thamel of the New York Times and Mark C. Viera are reporting it on Twitter

Sooner the better..
    Looks like it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sport ... -exit.html

I am in shock at this entire situation. My grandfathers 100th birthday is next Wednesday, I couldn't be more upset for the guy. There are not many people in this world that are as close to Penn State and the football program as he is, which is a major reason I have had the opinions I have had recently. I am speechless.
    ESPN is reporting a ninth victim has come forward....met Sandusky through the charity, the Second Mile Program.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I read this POS adopted kids but I have not read how many and what gender.....anyone know?
    I don't get how the wife could not know he was so fucking sick.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

I am in shock at this entire situation. My grandfathers 100th birthday is next Wednesday, I couldn't be more upset for the guy. There are not many people in this world that are as close to Penn State and the football program as he is, which is a major reason I have had the opinions I have had recently. I am speechless.
    s
    Shit..thats too bad...Happy 100 bday to gramps!
    Lizard wrote:
    I read this POS adopted kids but I have not read how many and what gender.....anyone know?
    I don't get how the wife could not know he was so fucking sick.

Scum of the earth..nothing worse in my opinion.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

Sorry that your grandfather is taking such a punch in the gut when he should be celebrating...hope he still has many more birthdays in him
    tybird wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

Sorry that your grandfather is taking such a punch in the gut when he should be celebrating...hope he still has many more birthdays in him

Thanks, man. We do too. It's rough. I just can't believe this and I can't imagine what he's going though. He has known a lot of these people for a long time. Not something someone that age should have to deal with.

I guess it's the right move. Although if Paterno is done, Spainer sure as fuck better be done too.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    since i read about this saturday night, i've tried to give joepa the benefit of the doubt but i don't think that's really possible...this is something you just don't don't do the minimum you can...and to keep this guy on campus until last week? inexcusable
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

just saw that...they cancelled his press conference today. at his age, i couldn't see him handling the barrage of questions that were going to be hurled his way too well.

sad times all around....
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like it.

just saw that...they cancelled his press conference today. at his age, i couldn't see him handling the barrage of questions that were going to be hurled his way too well.

sad times all around....
    True....don't throw him out there, especially if the Board of Trustees is working on his exit. JoePa needs to reach out to the victims with his wallet now.....therapy ain't free and the pharmacy does not give those anti-depressants away for free.
  • I can't recall a college sports scandal this disgusting. I've been turned off of college sports for a few years because of the stupid scandals that come out every year, but this is a whole different level entirely. I don't understand how nobody involved could report these allegations to the police. What reason could the people running that place have had for allowing him to continue running camps there even after they determined that he was a problem and why did they ban him from holding camps on the main campus but allow him to hold them on the school's smaller campuses? Did they think he wouldn't find the kids living near the other campuses attractive enough to assault? It's enraging to think about.
This discussion has been closed.