Penn State Scandal

Comments

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    im talking about enrollment, new students
    im curious to hear from parents who have/had high school juniors/seniors.

would they still consider penn st a good school? would they prefer their children to look elsewhere?
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My niece graduated from there last year and is working as a teacher at a local Charter school, while her boyfriend, an engineering student, finishes his last year at Penn State. He has no intention on leaving, Penn State is a very good school.

He has already secured a job with Boeing out in Southern California and will begin next spring.

You dont' get a job with a company like Boeing without a first rate education.

Penn State may have to worry about athletic enrollment, but I think their academic programs speak for themselves.
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    im curious to hear from parents who have/had high school juniors/seniors.

would they still consider penn st a good school? would they prefer their children to look elsewhere?

the scandal will have zero impact on the number of students who are enrolled in future classes. if anything, i would expect enrollment to go up.

the SAT/gpa numbers might regress slightly... i could see that.

there are only two other large public universities in pennsylvania... is it possible that someone who gets into all three might be swayed towards temple or pitt because of this? well, of course.
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    i can see penn st going under...who in their right mind would even consider enrolling??

edit: New enrollment...no one ever said anything about dropping out
    The school won't go under. They're going to take a hit, but they won't go under. This is by far not the first cover up linked to a school. New Title IX guidelines came out this year in response to some horrific coverups at universities. They just don't always get this much attention.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

yup

It happens because institutions lie. And today, our major institutions lie because of a culture in which loyalty to "the company," and protection of "the brand" — that noxious business-school shibboleth that turns employees into brainlocked elements of sales and marketing campaigns — trumps conventional morality, traditional ethics, civil liberties, and even adherence to the rule of law. It is better to protect "the brand" than it is to protect free speech, the right to privacy, or even to protect children.

this culture exists throughout society ... unlike what so many want to believe, this behaviour goes far beyond the walls of penn state ... sadly, i don't think the people have the guts to see how it's permeated our society ...
    Color-paterno-penn-st-abuse.jpg
    cliffy, is that you? :lol:

Nebraska%20Penn%20St%20Football.JPEG-0abec.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Davidtrios wrote:
    cliffy, is that you? :lol:

Nebraska%20Penn%20St%20Football.JPEG-0abec.jpg

Ha, it's not. I have slightly more hair than that.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited November 2011
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i can see penn st going under...who in their right mind would even consider enrolling??

The school won't go under. They're going to take a hit, but they won't go under. This is by far not the first cover up linked to a school. New Title IX guidelines came out this year in response to some horrific coverups at universities. They just don't always get this much attention.

Yes not the first cover up by a school but this is the biggest cover up/scandal of all time. Life will go on but form here on out when people think of Penn State this situation will always be brought up. You can't sweep something like this under the rug.
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Color-paterno-penn-st-abuse.jpg
    i see a johnson resting on some old guy's face. haha. funny cartoon.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:
    90K people are all just going to drop out tommorrow and they will shutter the campus buildings by wed. night.

lets be real.

speaking of being real.....why am i even replying to this sillyness. :lol:
    because you are fun and make us laugh w/ your witty commentary

what's for dinner? (wrong thread, sorry)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited November 2011
    Davidtrios wrote:

Yes not the first cover up by a school but this is the biggest cover up/scandal of all time. Life will go on but form here on out when people think of Penn State this situation will always be brought up. You can't sweep something like this under the rug.

if i was hiring 5 years from now and i saw Penn St on a candidate's resume, I would seriously think twice about that person's decision making abilities.
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    if i was hiring 5 years from now and i saw Penn St on a candidate's resume, I would seriosuly think twice about that person's decision making abilities.

Decision to attend an excellent, relatively affordable institution? Or the person who racked up $150K in loans? Your posts in this thread have been idiotic.

For the record, I am not a PSU alum, have never been to PSU, and used to hate the PSU football team. Now I'm just indifferent. I do know many PSU grads, all of whom are good, upstanding citizens, and none of whom had anything to do with this scandal.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Davidtrios wrote:
    if i was hiring 5 years from now and i saw Penn St on a candidate's resume, I would seriously think twice about that person's decision making abilities.

This takes the cake, dude. Now I just think you are trying to come up with outrageous shit to say to get a reaction.
    edited November 2011
    Davidtrios wrote:
    if i was hiring 5 years from now and i saw Penn St on a candidate's resume, I would seriosuly think twice about that person's decision making abilities.
    interesting

because monsters lurk amongst nonemonsters, which is difficult to tell between the two sometimes, because of this you would think extra long and hard on hiring someone who graduated from penn state because they attended a school w/ a child molester as a assisstant football coach and this penn state graduate may not make the correct decisions as far as you are concerned?
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Davidtrios wrote:

As I said, the school will take a hit, but Virginia Tech didn't go under after many lapses didn't stop a killing spree. The event actually spurred campuses to put behavioral intervention teams into place and alerting systems. I hope this case will bring about greater awareness about mandated reporting laws and stiffer penalties for bystanders, but the school isn't going under. Eastern Michigan University is still standing after violating the Clery Act and covering up a rape and murder. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke and the University of Virginia all had sexual misconduct violations that led to the Dear Colleague letter that was released this year and the new Title IX changes. I work with sexual abuse victims and specifically with this issue on a college campus, so sadly I know all too well this sort of stuff happens all the time and we just never hear about it. I'm glad we heard about this because it is at such a huge scale, but the issue runs much deeper than most people realize.

I wouldn't hire someone who lives in the same city as someone who raped a kid. I mean if you choose to live in the same city as a child rapist what kind of decision making ability do you have.

Do you realize how absurd this sounds?
  • I don't want to shock anyone...but every single one of us knows someone who's molested a kid. Whether you realize it or not. Do people really think this issue is that rare :? I mean I wish it were...but time to pull our heads out of the sand.

edited November 2011
    chadwick wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    interesting

because monsters lurk amongst nonemonsters, which is difficult to tell between the two sometimes, because of this you would think extra long and hard on hiring someone who graduated from penn state because they attended a school w/ a child molester as a assisstant football coach and this penn state graduate may not make the correct decisions as far as you are concerned?

if you're aware that the college adminisitration would knowingly allow a monster to operate his monsterous acts for 15 years on campus, why would you think a school like that might be a good fit for you or anyone for that matter?

METAPHOR: think of it this way, if someone like bernie madoff (before jailed) was under investiagtion for fraud, what kind of person would continue to invest with him?
    Post edited by davidtrios on
    hate to ruin everything but um, there are child molesters all over the frickin place. most cases are thrown under a rug some place. and yes this is a pretty bizarre case.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Davidtrios wrote:

I say take it a step further. Penn State receives taxpayer support. So everyone who lives in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is fiscally supporting the school.

At least the people going to the school are receiving an education. But to fiscally support Penn State without receiving anything in return .... those are the real monsters.

:crazy:

And then we have to consider the financial support from the other eleven schools in the Big Ten and if grads from those schools should be trusted....
    Davidtrios wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    interesting

if you're aware that the college adminisitration would knowingly allow a monster to operate his monsterous acts for 15 years on campus, why would you think a school like that might be a good fit for you or anyone for that matter?

think of it this way, if someone like bernie madoff (before jailed) was under investiagtion for fraud, what kind of person would continue to invest with him?

I need an explanation of how getting an education from a great school where a few people, almost entirely in the athletic department covered this up correlates with investing your money with someone who you know is going to steal it.
  • The people at Penn State who knew about this have all either been fired, resigned, placed on leave, or arrested and placed on leave. The school is doing what it can to get rid of everyone involved in this mess, so why would a student looking to study history, for example, avoid the school simply because people who used to work there did something terrible?
    Davidtrios wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    interesting

think of it this way, if someone like bernie madoff (before jailed) was under investiagtion for fraud, what kind of person would continue to invest with him?
    norm wrote:

I can't believe this dude is wearing Penn State gear. I really want to know what he was doing and what was going through his head as he watched the game Saturday and saw 110,000 people in tears singing the words "may no act of ours bring shame" and praying for his victims.
    cliffy, do you need a definition of the difference between correlation and metaphor?
    Jason P wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

I say take it a step further. Penn State receives taxpayer support. So everyone who lives in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is fiscally supporting the school.

At least the people going to the school are receiving an education. But to fiscally support Penn State without receiving anything in return .... those are the real monsters.

:crazy:

And then we have to consider the financial support from the other eleven schools in the Big Ten and if grads from those schools should be trusted....

I think we need to do away with the entire Big Ten.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Davidtrios wrote:

Smeal College of Business is one of the most prestigous in the nation. That's good enough for my kids
This discussion has been closed.