Penn State Scandal

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:
    I know i've asked this before and nobody seems to want to answer it because they have their blinders on, but why is joe at th center of the lynch mob and not the guy that saw the shit going down?

Just asking....

i think joe is at the centre because a) he was the last to go not including mcqueary and b) he is the most public figure in this group ... he is most prominent to the public ... also, there seems to be a focus on the football program because it was at those facilities that some of the abuse took place and that sandusky was given access to ... and joe p was the head of the football program ...

Joe was not the last to go. Tim Curley who was responsible for giving him access and then lied is still employed
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    glad to see a few people here have sane replies...

thanks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

thanks

just connecting dots ;)
  • Well as I said before, Sandusky should be the name on everyone's lips, but Paterno has been a much bigger focus of all of this, which is pissing me off. Paterno has responsibility in all of this, but no one is as responsible as Sandusky. Paterno is getting more focus than McQueary because of his stature and his celebrity. He was also the supervisor in this situation. While I think McQueary had an obligation to intervene and report, I also have to remind myself that he was a grad assistant. I supervise grad assistants and they are not supposed to report to DYFS or send students to crisis on their own. They're supposed to come to me or one of the other supervisors and we take it from there. As their supervisor, I am responsible for every single thing they do and every single decision they make. We sign a contract saying as much. However, if they saw an act of abuse happening I would absolutely expect them to intervene (as human beings, not just as grad assistants). And if I said I was going to "take care of" a situation and they had reason to believe the abuse was still happening, I would absolutely expect them to take it to the next level.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • 81 wrote:

thanks

Which few? ;) :P
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Joe was not the last to go. Tim Curley who was responsible for giving him access and then lied is still employed

good grief ... it's like they still don't get it ...
  • Well as I said before, Sandusky should be the name on everyone's lips, but Paterno has been a much bigger focus of all of this, which is pissing me off. Paterno has responsibility in all of this, but no one is as responsible as Sandusky. Paterno is getting more focus than McQueary because of his stature and his celebrity. He was also the supervisor in this situation. While I think McQueary had an obligation to intervene and report, I also have to remind myself that he was a grad assistant. I supervise grad assistants and they are not supposed to report to DYFS or send students to crisis on their own. They're supposed to come to me or one of the other supervisors and we take it from there. As their supervisor, I am responsible for every single thing they do and every single decision they make. We sign a contract saying as much. However, if they saw an act of abuse happening I would absolutely expect them to intervene (as human beings, not just as grad assistants). And if I said I was going to "take care of" a situation and they had reason to believe the abuse was still happening, I would absolutely expect them to take it to the next level.

Nicely said.

And I think the outrage towards the ones who failed to report it to the authorities is because of how heinous these crimes against these innocent children were. And now knowing that a stop could have been put to it years earlier. The fact that this monster had NINE more years to prey on and traumatize children is beyond comprehension. And then to think about the suspected abuse being reported in 1998 and nothing happening .... it's just too much to bear.

I guess I'm troubled by the fact that the Paterno faithful are behaving like he's been victimized when in fact they should be grieving for these (now) young men.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Some guy an ex-player is coming up with a fund to pay for Jerry Sandusky's legal counsel. Now I know we have the right to a trial, but this is really inappropriate.

On another note, this whole thing has me thinking of an old neighbor, who was a big Penn State fan. He had a bumper sticker that read "If God isn't a Penn State fan, then why is the sky blue and white".
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Wish I Was wrote:
    Exactly. He knew what he was doing. He's an absolute monster who carefully planned out how to prey on children. The ones who are at risk. The ones that come from broken homes. The ones, who, when showered with gifts and tickets to PSU and Eagles games and a little extra attention will feel 'hey, this man loves me. I think this is wrong, but he's been so nice to me and given me so much.' That's the kind of evil POS Sandusky is.

"Second Mile - providing children with help and hope.

Many children face adversity even before they understand how to dream. The Second Mile, founded in 1977 in State College, Pennsylvania, is a statewide non-profit organization for children who need additional support and who would benefit from positive human contact. The Second Mile plans, organizes, and offers activities and programs for children - and adults who work with them - to promote self-confidence as well as physical, academic, and personal success.
    "

Sickening.

you're right. that's how these fuckers do things. a cub scouts, boy scouts, and girl scouts event is crawling with these guys.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    What about that DA that is missing and assumed dead from 2005? Body never found. Laptop found at the bottom of a river without the hard drive.

This story is getting weirder and weirder by the minute.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Danimal wrote:
    What about that DA that is missing and assumed dead from 2005? Body never found. Laptop found at the bottom of a river without the hard drive.

whoa

i think we all know, there are plenty of crazy people in this country that would do whatever it took to "support" their team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    Danimal wrote:

whoa

i think we all know, there are plenty of crazy people in this country that would do whatever it took to "support" their team.

Jesus Christ let's hope it didn't go that far
  • “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • I'm having such a hard time wrapping my head around all of this still, as I guess most folks are. It's kind of like the death of one of the country's great traditions, institutions, whatever you want to call it.
    My heart does go out to Joe Pa in only the sense that his life's work is tarnished forever...regardless of what his level of involvement or disregard for the situation was. I think it's quite obvious that he did turn a blind eye toward and, as I stated before, the reasons for him doing that will probably never be known.
    But, in my mind, he got exactly what he had coming to him. It isn't like somebody sneaked up behind him and slipped a live grenade in his back pocket. The train a-comin' matt millen talked about has been bearing on them for a while so for the pervert to have still been allowed around the program blows my mind.
    I truly think the cover up goes far beyond the gates of PSU. I may be proven wrong, but it sure seems that this is a scandal far deeper than anyone truly realizes right now.

And as to MM still being around I don't get that at all, but I'm sure he will be gone.
    It is odd that so much time is being spent talking about Joe and not the pervert, but this man is an icon. The pervert is not and the charges against him are out in the open. It's all there. It's sickening and despicable, so at this point I am truly more interested in knowing what joe's role in it was. It's just shocking to me that he could've allowed this to happen without taking stronger action. I've always liked and admired Joe, but I will not care when the pervert burns in hell. And if Joe is found to have a larger part in this thing, I may have to end up feeling the same way about him. In due time, it will all come out this time I feel certain.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Danimal wrote:

Questions on Sandusky Are Wrapped in a 2005 Mystery
    http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... llegations

Police: No link between long-missing DA, Sandusky
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 37/-1/NEWS
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    81 wrote:
    Danimal wrote:

whoa

Did you guys hear about this? I heard it for the first time this morning on the radio. (Not that that makes it true.)
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

81 wrote:
    Danimal wrote:

whoa

you did see Ace Ventura Pet Detective right? :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Yeah I did but I don't remember much about it, something about a Florida college football team and a field goal, something like that. Or was it a pro team, I don't remember movies very well. :D

But I believe I know the point you're making.

I hope to God not, but it is very suspect to say the least. From what I understand, the DA wasn't afraid of anybody, and was not the type to back down from pressure.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 86099.html

it says in this articale that Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors.

what gets me is the word and
    sandusky "and" second mile...

isn't second mile a organization sandusky founded?

or does it mean that other men at Second Mile are involved in this pimping out boys thing?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Wish I Was wrote:
    i doubt sandusky started preying on boys he was supposed to be helping when he was 57
    there is more

Well, considering he started his "foundation" in 1977, I'd say you're spot on here.
    Just an absolute monster.

yes, this is a vast understatement having watched more since posting

40 fucking counts

AND
    Sandusky is out on a pittance of $100,000
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • 81 wrote:
    I know i've asked this before and nobody seems to want to answer it because they have their blinders on, but why is joe at th center of the lynch mob and not the guy that saw the shit going down?

Just asking....

EDIT: Oops - read too quickly - I didn't know McQueary wasn't in the center of all this already? It's just that Joe Pa is the bigger pin.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Mike McQueary has been placed on administrative leave and will not attend the PSU-Nebraska game.

https://twitter.com/#!/EyeOnCFB/status/ ... 6470808576
    norm wrote:
    Mike McQueary has been placed on administrative leave and will not attend the PSU-Nebraska game.

https://twitter.com/#!/EyeOnCFB/status/ ... 6470808576

there you go 81, someone finally heard you :lol:

I figured he would be the next to go, I think they're all going to go evetually
    Your turn Tim Curley
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    edited November 2011
    http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/sports-media-asks-molestation-victims-what-this-me,26609/

Article from the Onion. Don't let the url shock you. It is a fairly good commentary about the Paterno apologists.

Last line:

At press time, the victims of years and years of psyche-destroying sexual abuse released a joint statement saying they were not concerned about Joe Paterno's legacy.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    A cinder block was thrown through Sanduskys window.
  • All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    “Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret. Everyone on that had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time,” Switzer said in an interview with The Oklahoman newspaper.

-Barry Switzer
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was just gonna post how the hell is this dirt bag just driving around town and noone has stepped up to him and punched hi's lights out yet i know it would be worth a night in jail :x am i correct in thinking this guy is out on bail or am i wrong ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was just gonna post how the hell is this dirt bag just driving around town and noone has stepped up to him and punched hi's lights out yet i know it would be worth a night in jail :x

Agreed, was only a matter of time. He may not want to be anywhere near state college tomorrow with 35,000 students drinking at 9 am.

Edit: Yeah, he's out on bail
This discussion has been closed.