Penn State Scandal

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Danimal wrote:
    They need to close this sess pool of a school.

i agree. i hope they shut down that ratfuck of a school.

Come the fuck on. The sick actions of 1 man and the terrible decisions by a handful more should deny over 10,000 kids a year a great education and put thousands of others out of jobs? Let's be serious. The culture certainly has to change, but to close one of the more respected academic institutions where countless graduates have made major contributions to our culture and life.

You can argue they should shut down the athletic department, which I don't agree with, but the school? Come on.

i heard the board hired sandusky to pimp the boys. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    81 wrote:

All you have to do is connect the dots to come to that conclusion :lol:
  • Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

"I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella said. "He called me back and said, 'What am I going to do with this money?' I said, 'Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.' "

Stellatella sent Sandusky $100. He wrote personal letters to other members of the 1959 Liberty Bowl team that defeated a Bear Bryant-coached Alabama team and asked they also donate. He does not know how much money was raised.

"I know some of the guys sent money," Stellatella told The Associated Press. "Here's the thing, these are horrendous charges against him. But he's still entitled to his day in court. Everybody's prejudged him. He's done horrendous damage to Paterno and (athletic director Tim) Curley and the football program. I don't listen to the news and I don't read the reports of what he did because I would get too upset.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ly-program

Unbelievable anyone would actually donate to that monsters defense.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited November 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

it seems like youre in love with joe pa..is he some infallible creature to you?...you might as well get on your knees and...oh wait, that already happened at penn st.
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

"I told him he's going to need a million dollars to defend himself," the 73-year-old Stellatella said. "He called me back and said, 'What am I going to do with this money?' I said, 'Use it for your lawyer because you're going to need it.' "

Stellatella sent Sandusky $100. He wrote personal letters to other members of the 1959 Liberty Bowl team that defeated a Bear Bryant-coached Alabama team and asked they also donate. He does not know how much money was raised.

"I know some of the guys sent money," Stellatella told The Associated Press. "Here's the thing, these are horrendous charges against him. But he's still entitled to his day in court. Everybody's prejudged him. He's done horrendous damage to Paterno and (athletic director Tim) Curley and the football program. I don't listen to the news and I don't read the reports of what he did because I would get too upset.

I have never seen more utter stupidity, brainwashing and disregard for morals as I have during this scandal.....

Maybe they should donate to the RAINN fund to support the victims instead. Oh wait...that would take a conscience. And a heart
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

There are some from outside the penn state family

http://twitpic.com/7d3ta3
    They gathered around his statue? :lol: :roll: That gave me a chuckle.
    I want a statue :(

• It's quotes like these that make me want to slam my head into a concrete wall:
    "It was just a shame how they went about firing Joe," said Jon Reyes, a 1998 Penn State graduate who stopped by Paterno's house on Thursday morning to show his support. "They really disrespected all the years of service he's given."

And what kind of respect did Paterno give to that 10 year old boy that McQueary told him about?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Davidtrios wrote:
    it seems like your in love with joe pa..is he some infallible creature to you?...you might as well get on your knees and...oh wait, that already happened at penn st.

Good one. :roll:

He is not and I have been very critical of him. He had to be fired and made a terrible decision. I will hold out the rest of my judgement until there is more information. He has done so much good in his life that he has earned some benefit of the doubt in my mind. So I will wait to hear more details before I make my final decision. And for full disclosure and as I have mentioned many times in here, Paterno and Penn State are both very important to my family.

My latest comment also had nothing to do with Paterno, it was a reaction to your brilliant recommendation to shut down a great school.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought it was kind of strange for them to be taking pictures with his statue right now. Didn't really expect that.
    Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

Maybe they should donate to the RAINN fund to support the victims instead. Oh wait...that would take a conscience. And a heart

Over $100,000 in less than 24 hours.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought it was kind of strange for them to be taking pictures with his statue right now. Didn't really expect that.
    It's just so odd. :lol: I mean I certainly understand that he means a lot to a lot of people and that those people may want to show their support, but it shouldn't overshadow support of the victims. There are a lot of unanswered questions, more are coming up every day, and the dust still needs to settle before we'll know how deep this runs. The one thing we know for sure is that there are victims and that they are the priority. Really bothers me when that point gets missed by some.

Has Sandusky even responded to the charges? I just heard him give a statement that he's been advised by lawyers not to talk about it, but I haven't even heard him trying to maintain his innocence.

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Sam Stellatella, a three-position player in the 1950s, has donated money to Sandusky's defense and urged other former players to do the same.

Over $100,000 in less than 24 hours.
    That is pretty awesome. That's the kind of stuff that does make me want to live in this kind of world

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Wish I Was wrote:
    It's quotes like these that make me want to slam my head into a concrete wall:
    "It was just a shame how they went about firing Joe," said Jon Reyes, a 1998 Penn State graduate who stopped by Paterno's house on Thursday morning to show his support. "They really disrespected all the years of service he's given."

And what kind of respect did Paterno give to that 10 year old boy that McQueary told him about?

so fucking true
    for that matter what kind of respect did mcqueary give the boy
    to not physically get involved the moment he saw them
    the whole thing is vile
    and i believe there will be more victims and more people involved in the cover-up
    this is 10 years we are just hearing about
    i doubt sandusky started preying on boys he was supposed to be helping when he was 57
    there is more
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
    It's just so odd. :lol: I mean I certainly understand that he means a lot to a lot of people and that those people may want to show their support, but it shouldn't overshadow support of the victims. There are a lot of unanswered questions, more are coming up every day, and the dust still needs to settle before we'll know how deep this runs. The one thing we know for sure is that there are victims and that they are the priority. Really bothers me when that point gets missed by some.

Has Sandusky even responded to the charges? I just heard him give a statement that he's been advised by lawyers not to talk about it, but I haven't even heard him trying to maintain his innocence.

Completely agree. Nothing to add.

I am pretty certain he claims to be innocent, he did when he was arrested at least.
    That is pretty awesome. That's the kind of stuff that does make me want to live in this kind of world

Definitely, after the black eye from the students the other night, I think they are coming around really well. Cancelling the pep rally in favor of a candlelight vigil at Old Main, the Blue out, RAINN support, etc.
  • Wish I Was wrote:
    It's quotes like these that make me want to slam my head into a concrete wall:

so fucking true
    for that matter what kind of respect did mcqueary give the boy
    to not physically get involved the moment he saw them
    the whole thing is vile
    and i believe there will be more victims and more people involved in the cover-up
    this is 10 years we are just hearing about
    i doubt sandusky started preying on boys he was supposed to be helping when he was 57
    there is more
    Yeah he started his organization back in 1977...my guess is he started abusing in some way by the time he was in his late teens, early 20's. The number of victims is probably well over 100. I think that stat is that most pedophiles abuse over 100 victims before the first time they are caught. This is just the tip of the iceberg

• i doubt sandusky started preying on boys he was supposed to be helping when he was 57
    there is more

Well, considering he started his "foundation" in 1977, I'd say you're spot on here.
    Just an absolute monster.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

it seems like your in love with joe pa..is he some infallible creature to you?...you might as well get on your knees and...oh wait, that already happened at penn st.

Do i need to spell out the point of that post?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... a_txt_0001

some people really need to shut up
  • http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... dusky.html

"Former Penn State assistant football Coach Jerry Sandusky could face a maximum prison sentence of 460 years if convicted ... "

And let's hope he's the most popular gal in the joint getting lots of attention every day from the other prisoners for the rest of his pathetic life.
  • norm wrote:

URRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," Harris told the Tribune-Review's Kevin Gorman. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

AND WHEN DID McQUEARY OR PATERNO OR SCHULTZ OR CURLEY SHOW ANY COURAGE when a 10 year old child really needed it at the time!?

Lord help me.
  • norm wrote:

Yeah. I think all of the current and former Penn State players would be wise to keep quiet. They are actually digging a bigger hole for Joe and the program every time they open their mouths. I haven't heard 1 come out and say flat out - Joe's at fault here. He's not the criminal. But, he's clearly at fault, and the program needs to reconsider what it's priorities are.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • The irony here, in my opinion, is that had JoePa gone to the authorities on that Saturday afternoon when McQueary came to his house, he would have been a hero and remained one to this day. And now, the Paterno faithful feel that the media has made Joe the scapegoat (suddenly they don't want Joe being "the face" of PSU!?) thereby tarnishing his hero image.
    I know i've asked this before and nobody seems to want to answer it because they have their blinders on, but why is joe at th center of the lynch mob and not the guy that saw the shit going down?

Just asking....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    edited November 2011
    81 wrote:
    I know i've asked this before and nobody seems to want to answer it because they have their blinders on, but why is joe at th center of the lynch mob and not the guy that saw the shit going down?

Just asking....

For me, McQueary is just as much to blame here, but evidently he did what he was meant to, which was to report it to his boss who is then required by law to report it to the authorities. His boss reported it to his bosses (hahaa, as if he ever felt they were his superiors) who were then required by law to report it to the authorities. Nothing happened and life went on - as did the abuse. Those who support Joe say "he did what was required of him; he reported it to his superiors" and then ask "why aren't you blaming McQueary?" It's ironic - declaring the first and asking the latter.

IMO, that was Joe's house to protect. Plain and simple, he didn't.
    Post edited by traveljunkie on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    81 wrote:

Just asking....

joe was the defacto head of the organization. the shit went down on his watch. end of story. anyone who doesn't think paterno should have been fired (or if he wasn't so arrogant quit himself) is a moron in my opinion.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

Just asking....

I don't understand that either 81, it seems as though even the grand jury is praising McCreary or whatever his name is for doing the right thing and reporting it, and that maybe he was so traumatized by what he saw he can't be held accountable for not acting further

that's the only thing I can figure out
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    81 wrote:

Just asking....

i think joe is at the centre because a) he was the last to go not including mcqueary and b) he is the most public figure in this group ... he is most prominent to the public ... also, there seems to be a focus on the football program because it was at those facilities that some of the abuse took place and that sandusky was given access to ... and joe p was the head of the football program ...
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    81 wrote:

Just asking....

absofuckinglutely
    they should both be vilified

and there will be more villains is this fucked up web of lies
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
This discussion has been closed.