Penn State Scandal

Comments

• I think the story didn't break back then because there still wasn't an indictment at that time. Now that there's an indictment and details of the Grand Jury testimony it's obvious to everyone that Paterno, Curley, etc. all failed to do the right thing regardless of whether they did or didn't fulfill their legal obligations.
    Reading maddens story that he wrote back in april how the hell did the story not blow up right back than. Everything about this story is very suspicious. The  news eventually broke during a off week right after Paterno secured the all time wins record so my question is was the timing of this coordinated so Joe could get the record. 

I'm surprised they didn't wait another week because paterno is tied with Alonzo Stagg for the most games coached, it's no wonder he was so desperately trying to hang on. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    I'm surprised they didn't wait another week because paterno is tied with Alonzo Stagg for the most games coached, it's no wonder he was so desperately trying to hang on. 

That's why I'm very impressed that the Board of Trustees actually fired him. Silly crap like passing Stagg's record and other football-related legacy stuff REALLY DOES matter at PSU because that's the culture. And by firing him, they really made a statement that "we are going to change our ways, and it starts with people realizing there's more important things in the world than football"

This is bullshit. They fired him for PR. It was their only choice. If they really meant it Curley would be long gone, you know the guy who was actually arrested for lying and covering it up. The guy is on a leave and they are paying his legal bills. I am not defending Paternos lack of action, I am simply stating you are completely off base as to why he was fired.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's why I'm very impressed that the Board of Trustees actually fired him. Silly crap like passing Stagg's record and other football-related legacy stuff REALLY DOES matter at PSU because that's the culture. And by firing him, they really made a statement that "we are going to change our ways, and it starts with people realizing there's more important things in the world than football"

This is bullshit. They fired him for PR. It was their only choice. If they really meant it Curley would be long gone, you know the guy who was actually arrested for lying and covering it up. The guy is on a leave and they are paying his legal bills. I am not defending Paternos lack of action, I am simply stating you are completely off base as to why he was fired.

I should have been more clear, when I said that the board is saying "we are going to change our ways, and it starts with people realizing there's more important things in the world than football", I meant that they mean that as a (very proper) PR move. That's what I'm trying to explain to all my PSU-loving moronic facebook friends who can't believe he was fired. The entire national media has been KILLING the school and outrage grew every passing minute that Paterno remained coach. The board of trustees by saying "We're doing what's in our best interest", is making a PR move, but it's also the first step in making people regain trust in the university.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I should have been more clear, when I said that the board is saying "we are going to change our ways, and it starts with people realizing there's more important things in the world than football", I meant that they mean that as a (very proper) PR move. That's what I'm trying to explain to all my PSU-loving moronic facebook friends who can't believe he was fired. The entire national media has been KILLING the school and outrage grew every passing minute that Paterno remained coach. The board of trustees by saying "We're doing what's in our best interest", is making a PR move, but it's also the first step in making people regain trust in the university.

Fair enough and that's what I have been saying as well, although I am somwhat of a PSU-loving moron, more reasonable than most I would like to think. The only reason he is gone is because of the heat, not that he didn't deserve it, but the fact that Curley is still employed boggles mu fucking mind.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    igotid88 wrote:
    So McQueery still isn't fired?

Note: I fully understand that the football part of this is minor. I also agree that Joe had to go after this to start "cleaning" things up. But to answer this....

Nope and this proves to me that this was a witch hunt to finally fire Paterno. The powers that be have been looking for a way to fire him since '04.

I've yet to see anything on this, but a friend of mine told me that allegedly members of the Board knew about these allegations for some time. A hypocritical mess!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Fair enough and that's what I have been saying as well, although I am somwhat of a PSU-loving moron, more reasonable than most I would like to think. The only reason he is gone is because of the heat, not that he didn't deserve it, but the fact that Curley is still employed boggles mu fucking mind.

"PSU-loving moron" might be harsh but some of the facebook posts I've seen over the last day have been ridiculous. As for Curly, there might be some legal stuff (that I have no clue about) that allots him a leave of absence to deal with his charges or something. He surly won't continue in his position. But maybe for legal reasons he can't yet be fired because he has denied all the criminal charges and they have to let due-process take it's course. Paterno only faces moral charges and having already been found guilty in the court of public opinion, I think firing him was proper.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    norm wrote:

Was just going to ask you if you saw that about Joe Poz. Pretty interesting. Don't know what to make of it. Deadspin is accusing him of getting blinded but from his article the other day and reading Poz for as long as I have, I have a hard time believing that.
    "PSU-loving moron" might be harsh but some of the facebook posts I've seen over the last day have been ridiculous. As for Curly, there might be some legal stuff (that I have no clue about) that allots him a leave of absence to deal with his charges or something. He surly won't continue in his position. But maybe for legal reasons he can't yet be fired because he has denied all the criminal charges and they have to let due-process take it's course. Paterno only faces moral charges and having already been found guilty in the court of public opinion, I think firing him was proper.

We are splitting hairs here, but I dont see how Paterno can be fired when the person he went to and was responsible for going to is still employed. Penn State didn't have a choice with the national media, but the Curley question needs to be answered. I can only think that they are trying to keep Curley quiet, there is no other explanation.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Was just going to ask you if you saw that about Joe Poz. Pretty interesting. Don't know what to make of it. Deadspin is accusing him of getting blinded but from his article the other day and reading Poz for as long as I have, I have a hard time believing that.

I think for the people that are close to joepa this whole thing has shocked them into disbelief...why would this man of such high moral character allow this to happen? i'm sure joepo will come around once the magnitude of what has happened has set in...i think that will happen for most people that are close to joepa
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    edited November 2011
    McQueary and Paterno both did the right thing initially. They both told their superiors what McQueary saw...that was the right thing to do. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe at first they both thought it was going to be handled as it should be. But for years and years after that they saw Sandusky hanging around with young boys, bringing them to events, sharing hotel rooms with them, etc. Wouldn't that raise a red flag that things hadn't been resolved? That this guy was still perpetrating? I mean at some point didn't they realize something more had to be done? I just don't get it.
    Post edited by comebackgirl on
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Wow - Joe Poz is in the middle of writing a book about JoePa. This is going to change his life. He won't get blinded - I agree with Cliffy.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • McQuearly and Paterno both did the right thing initially.  They both told their superiors what McQueary saw...that was the right thing to do.  

McQueary shouldve stopped it, instead he let Sandusky continue raping the boy. How did he know Sandusky wouldn't kill that poor child afterwards. 

MM was 28 years old at the time, 6'4 ex star QB he was more than physically capable of stopping it, imagine how that kid felt when he left the room, he has no defense he didn't do the right thing and he should be ashamed. 
  • I was listening to sports talk they a reporter on from the Beaver
    Times that wrote about the story in April of this year. He thinks MM
    is still there so he can't blow this up even more. They're keeping
    in the hopes he keeps his mouth shut. It makes sense with this guy
    being the eye witness and could possibly prove that JP has committed
    perjury.

Even the whole story of the DA going missing and his laptop being
    found with the hard drive missing is really looking suspicious.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,239
    This scandal is so damm dark i hope that some day it all comes to light and all the people that are involved get punished i know that might be asking alot , and i really hope the victims somehow can get past this horrible chapter in their lives ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I was listening to sports talk they a reporter on from the Beaver
    Times that wrote about the story in April of this year. He thinks MM
    is still there so he can't blow this up even more. They're keeping
    in the hopes he keeps his mouth shut. It makes sense with this guy
    being the eye witness and could possibly prove that JP has committed
    perjury.

Even the whole story of the DA going missing and his laptop being
    found with the hard drive missing is really looking suspicious.

If that's true, then MM really doesn't get it, and he and his dad are worse people than I initially thought (Which was pretty bad). He needs to come clean. And if it means he never gets another job, so be it. He owes at least that much (And actually more) to all the children he was complicit in damaging.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Very Good article from one of my favorite Sports Writers here in Toronto.

Calls for the shut down of the Penn State program for a year.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/
  • McQuearly and Paterno both did the right thing initially.  They both told their superiors what McQueary saw...that was the right thing to do.  

McQueary shouldve stopped it, instead he let Sandusky continue raping the boy. How did he know Sandusky wouldn't kill that poor child afterwards. 

MM was 28 years old at the time, 6'4 ex star QB he was more than physically capable of stopping it, imagine how that kid felt when he left the room, he has no defense he didn't do the right thing and he should be ashamed. 
    Yeah that's what sticks with me. The grand jury report says that Sandusky and the kid both saw McQueary in the locker room...the kid knew someone witnessed the abuse and didn't stop it. That must have just compounded the feelings of shame, hopelessness, worthlessness. I just can't see any reason that if he didn't stop it in the moment...he didn't do more afterwards.

I don't agree with this. I think the entire staff will be gone next year but canceling the season would punish the players wouldn't be fair. Like say for instance if a professor was fired, they wouldn't just cancel all the classes cause that wouldn't be fair to the students. So ya fire Joe to take some heat off and you insert Bradley for now. But let's face it: Bradley, as a defensive coach, probably spent more time around Sudusky than even Paterno did. He must have known about the 1998 charges cause that led to Sudusky's retirement which led to Bradley getting his job. Just finish the season with what ya got and start all over from scratch next year.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Yeah that's what sticks with me. The grand jury report says that Sandusky and the kid both saw McQueary in the locker room...the kid knew someone witnessed the abuse and didn't stop it. That must have just compounded the feelings of shame, hopelessness, worthlessness. I just can't see any reason that if he didn't stop it in the moment...he didn't do more afterwards.

It's a 28 year old "man" who needed to go to his daddy for advice on who he shoud tell. Whose daddy then told him - go to Joe Paterno - not the police (maybe, he didn't say those words, but that's the effect). And now after seeing all this going on around him and how many more victims there are (or at least have been reported so far), still feels it appropriate to be coaching kids that were the boys age that he saw being abused at the time he was being abused.

I think the McQueary character has been shown, and it is really not all that surprising in hind sight that this "man" thought the proper authority was not the police.

I hope he gets pelted with whatever can hit him without it hitting anyone around him on Saturday. And if one person calls him brave for showing up, then that person's character has been shown. Bravery would have been saving that poor kid's life (and every one that came after). Bravery, morality and humanity are not in the McQueary family crest.

I don't agree with this. I think the entire staff will be gone next year but canceling the season would punish the players wouldn't be fair. Like say for instance if a professor was fired, they wouldn't just cancel all the classes cause that wouldn't be fair to the students. So ya fire Joe to take some heat off and you insert Bradley for now. But let's face it: Bradley, as a defensive coach, probably spent more time around Sudusky than even Paterno did. He must have known about the 1998 charges cause that led to Sudusky's retirement which led to Bradley getting his job. Just finish the season with what ya got and start all over from scratch next year.

The players would be allowed to transfer without waiting the normal year if this was done. Yes, that's not ideal. But, sometimes there is collateral damage when you do the right thing. But, that does not make the right thing and less right.
  • Yeah that's what sticks with me. The grand jury report says that Sandusky and the kid both saw McQueary in the locker room...the kid knew someone witnessed the abuse and didn't stop it. That must have just compounded the feelings of shame, hopelessness, worthlessness. I just can't see any reason that if he didn't stop it in the moment...he didn't do more afterwards.

It's a 28 year old "man" who needed to go to his daddy for advice on who he shoud tell. Whose daddy then told him - go to Joe Paterno - not the police (maybe, he didn't say those words, but that's the effect). And now after seeing all this going on around him and how many more victims there are (or at least have been reported so far), still feels it appropriate to be coaching kids that were the boys age that he saw being abused at the time he was being abused.

I think the McQueary character has been shown, and it is really not all that surprising in hind sight that this "man" thought the proper authority was not the police.

I hope he gets pelted with whatever can hit him without it hitting anyone around him on Saturday. And if one person calls him brave for showing up, then that person's character has been shown. Bravery would have been saving that poor kid's life (and every one that came after). Bravery, morality and humanity are not in the McQueary family crest.
    It's sickening to think of how many kids have been abused, but it's even more sickening to think about how many kids have been abused since the first allegations came to light. Someone needed to step up. I'm sure there were already dozens of victims by that point, but so many other assaults could have been prevented. It's been 13 years since that first shower incident was reported! There is just no excuse.

• Here's a copy of a letter McQueary sent to recruits.

mike-mcqueary-letter.jpg
  • I can't imagine what went through that kid's mind when he saw McQueary. For a brief moment, he must have felt the relief of someone showing up to save him and then the realization that the person who had shown up was a coward. I just hope that kid hasn't killed himself so he can come forward and testify against Sandusky and, if he chooses, let McQueary kow exactly what kind of impact he had on his life so that McQueary can never try to rationalize what ahppened that day with thoughts like, "Well, I'm sure he stopped when I left because he thought I was getting the police."
    McQuearly and Paterno both did the right thing initially.  They both told their superiors what McQueary saw...that was the right thing to do.  

Yeah that's what sticks with me. The grand jury report says that Sandusky and the kid both saw McQueary in the locker room...the kid knew someone witnessed the abuse and didn't stop it. That must have just compounded the feelings of shame, hopelessness, worthlessness. I just can't see any reason that if he didn't stop it in the moment...he didn't do more afterwards.
  • It's a 28 year old "man" who needed to go to his daddy for advice on who he shoud tell. Whose daddy then told him - go to Joe Paterno - not the police (maybe, he didn't say those words, but that's the effect). And now after seeing all this going on around him and how many more victims there are (or at least have been reported so far), still feels it appropriate to be coaching kids that were the boys age that he saw being abused at the time he was being abused.

It's sickening to think of how many kids have been abused, but it's even more sickening to think about how many kids have been abused since the first allegations came to light. Someone needed to step up. I'm sure there were already dozens of victims by that point, but so many other assaults could have been prevented. It's been 13 years since that first shower incident was reported! There is just no excuse.

Exactly. And that is what McQueary, Paterno and the Penn State Students on parade don't get. Lives that have been irreparably damaged could have been saved by 1 brave sole stepping up to do their moral duty. And it belies the arrogance of Paterno's - don't worry I'll retire, don't fire me speech. Makes his prayer line a throw away. Wonder if he really even means it. Another in the long line of sorry because he got caught.

What a coward McQueary is.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    McQuearly and Paterno both did the right thing initially.  They both told their superiors what McQueary saw...that was the right thing to do.  

What a coward McQueary is.

i'm confused....the one guy that had the first hand knowledge of what happened is still employed, yet all these other people have been fired or they stepped down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • 81 wrote:
    i'm confused....the one guy that had the first hand knowledge of what happened is still employed, yet all these other people have been fired or they stepped down.

Yep, the whole thing is completely fucked. Is it possible that Penn State could have handled this whole thing any worse?
This discussion has been closed.