Penn State Scandal

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don't think the University had much of a choice in this matter, they couldn't go into this weekend's football game as if nothing has changed.

Everything has changed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's not about football, you're missing the point. It's the same reason so many people continue to be catholic and pour money into the church. Joe was always bigger and better than everyone and inspired almost every one of these kids in one way or another. He did so much good for so many people they don't want to believe this is real. Just like the millions who pour into mass every Sunday choose to ignore the same issues. Joe is bigger than football, he was a hero to these kids and it's impossible for them to understand this.

All true but when the real kids needed him to be their hero he failed them what don't you get about that point those young boys needed a hero at the most crucila time of their young lives and no one stepped to the plate .......The kids needed a real life hero and none came to their rescue ughh :(

I don't disagree with you a little bit on that. I never have. He should have done a whole lot more.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Sandusky, McQueary, Paterno and anyone else who knew about it, but did nothing, belong in prison. And reporting it to the coaching staff or administration isn't doing anything. Not going immediately to the police is a crime as far as I am concerned. All of them belong in prison.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Flagg wrote:
    Sandusky, McQueary, Paterno and anyone else who knew about it, but did nothing, belong in prison. And reporting it to the coaching staff or administration isn't doing anything. Not going immediately to the police is a crime as far as I am concerned. All of them belong in prison.

not that i think these guys are blameless but i think the bigger picture here is the culture ... the culture that allows 150+ sexual assault charges to never stick ... the same culture that we see in the military when some soldier decides he's gonna vent on some innocent person ... the culture that here that believes that the reputation of penn state is ultimately all that matters ...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Flagg wrote:
    why didn't joe snatch up this sandusky pedophile guy and drag him to the cop shop and slap the hell out of him?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I've always held great respect for joe Pa from way down here in the dirty dirty and it is a shame the old man's legacy and all the great things he did in the community and for the school will be tarnished because of this, not to mention what he did on the football field.

But, he fucked up. Bottom line. He had the opportunity to take it public when the perverted bastard was caught and he didn't do it. I've always heard that Joe is pretty much the go-to guy at Penn State. He could've outed the guy, forever banished him from any contact with the football team and looked like a hero once again.

I have no clue why he actually let it ride and continued to let the pervert hang around. I'm guessing it was in order not to tarnish the program's image or the school's, but maybe even to a degree wanting to keep his old friend the pervert from the shame. Who knows.

Chadwick is right. College football in particular is based on nothing but money. It is a business. My impression of Pennysylvania has always been that the people are hard working, good people and I can imagine how this enrages and hurts so many people. If it happened here to my school I would surely be sickened. That said, down where football is everything, I can't imagine any school administration or coach ever giving a second thought to such a cover up, even in the name of saving face. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

And maybe I'm wrong and please tell me if I am, but didn't I hear the other day that the pervert has been investigated to a point on 2 or 3 other occasions – including once when they had a recording of him apologizing to one of the victims – and suddenly the investigations stopped in their tracks? Sure sounds like the hush-hush campaign went even farther than the school administration to me if that is the case
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • chadwick wrote:
    what to say, what to say
    what the?

when a grown man is fondling a boy or a girl and they are busted by some dude who just so happens to walk in on them, shouldn't that pedophile guy get the shit kicked out of him? i haven't followed this story at all.
    why is football soo important, besides the money of course? zero

football means jack shit except high dollar signs.

that is what i get out of it.

I enjoy some college football, but sports in general are becoming a shameful thing. Seems nobody knows how to act, or they are cuaght up in greed.

funny thing, its usually the players who do/act stupid. They sometimes get a pass because they are young and immature.
    Now its the rich old guys. Scary.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • How come there's been no reports of a protest at sanduskys house. He lives right next to the campus. Why aren't the students showing up with pitchforks demanding justice instead of rioting to show support for someone who enabled a child molester to continue his crimes for over a decade. 
    How come there's been no reports of a protest at sanduskys house. He lives right next to the campus. Why aren't the students showing up with pitchforks demanding justice instead of rioting to show support for someone who enabled a child molester to continue his crimes for over a decade. 
    good question

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    How come there's been no reports of a protest at sanduskys house. He lives right next to the campus. Why aren't the students showing up with pitchforks demanding justice instead of rioting to show support for someone who enabled a child molester to continue his crimes for over a decade. 

Probably police there.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I say, give him the benefit of the doubt on the instantaneous reaction. You just don’t know how you would react until you’re in that situation yourself. I’m hearing from all kinds of people saying they would have jumped in there and beat the shit out of Sandusky, but again, until they’re actually in McQueary’s situation, it’s just talk. There are plenty of other things to be concerned with beyond the satisfaction of vigilante justice. 

The victim would be even more traumatized watching two guys, one naked, beating the shit out of each other.

http://www.nittanyturkey.com/2011/11/08 ... -mcqueary/

Here's a Penn State blogger thats actually defending McQueary's actions that night.

I have to say he brings some very very valid points in what he writes about what McQueary's quandary could have been like....it's worth the read.

Now it doesn't excuse MM but it does put a light on the situation he found himself in and the shock he must have been in seeing his coach doing to what MM deterMined was a 10year old child.

That show "what would you do" will or should be watched even more now. BTW I of course wouldve stopped the action.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Please let this just be a horrific rumor

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sa ... rs-2011-11
  • The answer is pretty simple and pretty sad: Most of the kids attending Penn State are there because they were Penn State football fans growing up and Joe Paterno is a legend. I'd say that it's a safe bet that 100% of the out-of-state students are there because of the football team and Paterno. In their eyes, Jesus just went up on the cross again.
    chadwick wrote:
    what to say, what to say
    what the?

when a grown man is fondling a boy or a girl and they are busted by some dude who just so happens to walk in on them, shouldn't that pedophile guy get the shit kicked out of him? i haven't followed this story at all.
    why is football soo important, besides the money of course? zero

football means jack shit except high dollar signs.

that is what i get out of it.

That might be yours and my reaction in the moment but like that writer said is it TOOfar fetched for Sandusky to say MM DID the abusing/crime? At that point who's more likely to be believed...we don't know how much influence Sandusky had over the child to convince him to say "yeah MM was the who raped me". just take a moment he was really in a cornered situation but at least he needed to stop the action MM that is.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    norm wrote:

good lord norm.

I believe the last part about being forced to retire in 1999 - seems to fit in with when he was caught in 1998. I think that is the tip of the iceberg with Paterno's inolvement. I wouldn't be surprised that this was how it was dealt with back then - I would speculate that Paterno made a deal with him - the charges were dropped, he got a full retirement for a promise to stop abusing boys.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    norm wrote:

good lord norm.

I believe the last part about being forced to retire in 1999 - seems to fit in with when he was caught in 1998. I think that is the tip of the iceberg with Paterno's inolvement. I wouldn't be surprised that this was how it was dealt with back then - I would speculate that Paterno made a deal with him - the charges were dropped, he got a full retirement for a promise to stop abusing boys.

to continue - that would fit with Paterno's statement that "we were all fooled" - yeah, he fooled you Joe when he promised to stop.
  • How come there's been no reports of a protest at sanduskys house. He lives right next to the campus. Why aren't the students showing up with pitchforks demanding justice instead of rioting to show support for someone who enabled a child molester to continue his crimes for over a decade. 
    That's what I want to know. If you want to riot, riot on his front step.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    norm wrote:

did you happen to read the first or second person's post at the bottom of the articale where we can add a comment?

i'd say folks are upset.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I've always held great respect for joe Pa from way down here in the dirty dirty and it is a shame the old man's legacy and all the great things he did in the community and for the school will be tarnished because of this, not to mention what he did on the football field.

But, he fucked up. Bottom line. He had the opportunity to take it public when the perverted bastard was caught and he didn't do it. I've always heard that Joe is pretty much the go-to guy at Penn State. He could've outed the guy, forever banished him from any contact with the football team and looked like a hero once again.

I have no clue why he actually let it ride and continued to let the pervert hang around. I'm guessing it was in order not to tarnish the program's image or the school's, but maybe even to a degree wanting to keep his old friend the pervert from the shame. Who knows.

Chadwick is right. College football in particular is based on nothing but money. It is a business. My impression of Pennysylvania has always been that the people are hard working, good people and I can imagine how this enrages and hurts so many people. If it happened here to my school I would surely be sickened. That said, down where football is everything, I can't imagine any school administration or coach ever giving a second thought to such a cover up, even in the name of saving face. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

And maybe I'm wrong and please tell me if I am, but didn't I hear the other day that the pervert has been investigated to a point on 2 or 3 other occasions – including once when they had a recording of him apologizing to one of the victims – and suddenly the investigations stopped in their tracks? Sure sounds like the hush-hush campaign went even farther than the school administration to me if that is the case

Great points YL..JP surly messed up and he's paying the consequences of his inaction. Yes this can certainly happen on another campus IF you have a more revered person/coach like JP who is lik a god on that campus. If he chooses to do minimal effort to bring it to light then that's exactly what will happen.

This goes real deep in that the investigations did stop suddenly and DA disappeared and is now declared dead. The lead investigator is now being seeked because he may still have the original reports taken when the investigation into Sandusky began.

When you have the federal govt, dept of education investigating PSU it's going to be far worse than we could ever imagine.

Peace

again, i gotta say, i am amazed that more child molesters are not killed or at least smacked around a bit. if i had a child or children and some dude molested them, i am afraid shit would hit the fan.

this joe pa guy must be a none confrontational type a guy. fuck that noise. that doesn't always work. being the silent low key guy in this kind of situation is not a good road to take obviously. he could have been a bigger hero than he already is if he'd only have knocked this fuckin child molester dude smooth unconscious.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    chadwick wrote:
    again, i gotta say, i am amazed that more child molesters are not killed or at least smacked around a bit. if i had a child or children and some dude molested them, i am afraid shit would hit the fan.

this joe pa guy must be a none confrontational type a guy. fuck that noise. that doesn't always work. being the silent low key guy in this kind of situation is not a good road to take obviously. he could have been a bigger hero than he already is if he'd only have knocked this fuckin child molester dude smooth unconscious.

Being killed should be the consequence when convicted of child molestation. Make it the law and less people will do it...when i mean killed I mean they should be stoned or slowly tortured to death.

Google joe pa and take a look at him and tell me if you think he is confrontational.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,239
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's not about football, you're missing the point. It's the same reason so many people continue to be catholic and pour money into the church. Joe was always bigger and better than everyone and inspired almost every one of these kids in one way or another. He did so much good for so many people they don't want to believe this is real. Just like the millions who pour into mass every Sunday choose to ignore the same issues. Joe is bigger than football, he was a hero to these kids and it's impossible for them to understand this.

All true but when the real kids needed him to be their hero he failed them what don't you get about that point those young boys needed a hero at the most crucila time of their young lives and no one stepped to the plate .......The kids needed a real life hero and none came to their rescue ughh :(

I don't disagree with you a little bit on that. I never have. He should have done a whole lot more.

And i totally get your points and feel for everyone that has been affected it's time to move on it's a sad day in College football :( ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Interesting article written 7 months ago about the Sudusky cover-up

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/s ... f6878.html
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Interesting article written 7 months ago about the Sudusky cover-up

i've just saw a story online where this same columunist has mentioned a rumor about sandusky and the second mile charity that if true is even more horrific and dispicable that what has occurred so far.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,797
    So McQueery still isn't fired?
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Statement fromthe interim president

http://live.psu.edu/story/56307#nw4
  • Interesting article written 7 months ago about the Sudusky cover-up

Interesting indeed. Like I said before, the cover up has to go far beyond the gates of Penn State.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Reading maddens story that he wrote back in april how the hell did the story not blow up right back than. Everything about this story is very suspicious. The  news eventually broke during a off week right after Paterno secured the all time wins record so my question is was the timing of this coordinated so Joe could get the record. 

I'm surprised they didn't wait another week because paterno is tied with Alonzo Stagg for the most games coached, it's no wonder he was so desperately trying to hang on. 
  • I'm surprised they didn't wait another week because paterno is tied with Alonzo Stagg for the most games coached, it's no wonder he was so desperately trying to hang on. 

That's why I'm very impressed that the Board of Trustees actually fired him. Silly crap like passing Stagg's record and other football-related legacy stuff REALLY DOES matter at PSU because that's the culture. And by firing him, they really made a statement that "we are going to change our ways, and it starts with people realizing there's more important things in the world than football"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.