Options

Lance Armstrong doping ?

Comments

• Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    would have thought sky would have been one of the first teams to sign up .....is it rabbobank that has pulled out as sponsors :D
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Lance Armstrong tweets photo of him with all his Tour de France jerseys.... I find it funny. :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turns ... 24213.html
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    party0006.gif
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the only thing keeping this guy from jail is his connections in washington ... guess that's something else his supporters can celebrate ...
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Chuck Klosterman - from the Sunday New York Times:
    All we can do is work with the accepted reality: Armstrong helped the lives of many cancer victims by being the most talented cheater within a sport where cheating is rampant. Now, does that positive conclusion 'offset' the unethical exploits that allowed it to occur? I would say it does not. And I say this because they are too interdependent to isolate and judge. There is no right or wrong way to feel about Armstrong, but however you feel should be based on the totality of his career. Everything has to matter
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Chuck Klosterman - from the Sunday New York Times:
    All we can do is work with the accepted reality: Armstrong helped the lives of many cancer victims by being the most talented cheater within a sport where cheating is rampant. Now, does that positive conclusion 'offset' the unethical exploits that allowed it to occur? I would say it does not. And I say this because they are too interdependent to isolate and judge. There is no right or wrong way to feel about Armstrong, but however you feel should be based on the totality of his career. Everything has to matter

i read that article ... it's unfortunate that most people who are professionally writing or commenting have not armed themselves with the information to actually do what this guy says ... the totality of his career also includes using the livestrong foundation to make millions of dollars ... pay $50k to go on a "ride" with lance ... only to find that only $35k is tax eligible and he doesn't actually ride with you ... it's not as simple as he cheated in a sport full of cheaters and then used his fame to help fight cancer ... there is more to it than that ...
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/l ... PHNsEGUH3H

He wants to come clean.

Cycling legend Lance Armstrong has told his associates he is considering a public admission that he doped during his athletic career, according to a published report.

Armstrong, 41, has spent recent months weighing his options while vacationing with family in Hawaii, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Possibilities include going on television, writing a book, or making a public statement in the near future about his alleged doping.

A public confession would allow Armstrong to begin restoring his badly damaged reputation

The former professional cyclist fell into disgrace last fall when his seven Tour de France titles were stripped and his major sponsors dropped him.

Armstrong also quit as chairman of Livestrong, the cancer-fighting foundation known for its iconic yellow bracelets that he founded in 1997.

He has long denied ever using performance-enhancing drugs or blood doping, even as his teammates and anti-doping officials leveled accusations.

Armstrong’s lawyer told the Journal that discussions with the US Anti-Doping Agency “aren’t currently on the table.”

Armstrong was diagnosed with testicular cancer when he was 25, but fought back to win the Tour de France a record seven times.

A confession by Armstrong would also complicate multiple legal issues, including a whistleblower lawsuit filed by his former teammate, Floyd Landis.

The Sunday Times of London has also sued to recover a 2004 libel settlement that Armstrong won after the paper published claims he was doping.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,623
    Wow! Just watch a CBC documentary about the whole situation. I haven't been paying much attention since I don't care about cycling, butan, there is a LOT of damning evidence against Armstrong, and it makes him look like a complete slime ball assuming you think that people.consistently going to great sneaky lengths to cheat and then lie about it under oath are slime balls. I'm actually shocked it took this long to ban him and strip him of his medals. I had no idea the situation was as serious as it was. Before I had thought that maybe the accusations were flake, but now that I know all the facts and testimony against him, I don't think so at all. Armstrong should just man up and admit it; not doing so at this point makes him look so much worse - like a way bigger asshole. He's totally busted - denial is stupid now.... unless that does open the door to law suits and shit. But how could just his admission make that a possibility?? If old sponsors or competitors, etc. could sue, they could do so with or without his confession I should think, given the mountain of evidence. I doubt continued denial is helping him at all. (Edit: just read previous post - ah ha. Hopefully he mans up! Of course, his admission would blow things up for a while again, but I don't think he can move forward in life if he doesn't own what he's done).

Gotta say, I don't feel bad for him. This has maybe already been discussed, but what consequences, if any, does this have for the trainers helping him cheat? I know there aresome for the doctor, but i don't think I heard anything about the trainers/coaches.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    A confession at this point? Who cares? We all know he already lied.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    A confession at this point? Who cares? We all know he already lied.
    True... I dunno... I think it would make a difference to HIS life. I mean, it would be a weight off of him, and it might be what makes others (I.e. people in the livestrong organization) be able to consider looking him in the face again. The truth shall set you free after all. Either way though, what a fucking embarrassment. I never understood ppeople who continue to deny when they've been caught red handed.

Too bad about Livestrong though. Right or wrong, this all really fucks that right up... in fact, never mind what I said about those people looking him in then face again. They are probably more pissed than anyone.

I am really glad I'm not a big cycling fan btw. All of this must have really upset and hurt a LOT of fans. Hahaha, I saw a thing recently showing a bunch of angry people who had Lance Armstrong themed tattoos (he was a big inspiration to many, unfortunately). Lots of livestrong tats too; not as bad, but still... I guess that's a lesson to anyone thinking of getting a real person who isn't dead yet for a tattoo! There is always time for someone to crash and burn as long as they are alive! ... I bet there are a few OJ tats out there too. Yikes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    I smell a book IF he wants to come "clean" as it were. That way he gets to possibly continue competive racing in triathalons etc, PLUS earn some major coin from a book.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I smell a book IF he wants to come "clean" as it were. That way he gets to possibly continue competive racing in triathalons etc, PLUS earn some major coin from a book.

he's still eligible for triathalons?
    who would let him even compete after this ?
    totally agree on the book and the ca$h grab.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

he's still eligible for triathalons?
    who would let him even compete after this ?
    totally agree on the book and the ca$h grab.
    well as of now hes banned from any competition where the USADA is the governing agency. IF he came clean and admitted it, there is a slim chance he could then compete in these events.

I'm sure $ wise there would be many races that would have him. Free Publicity!!!! Kinda doubt the sponsers would mind extra eyeballs on their advertising at such events either.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    once again ... lance shows that the only thing lance cares about is lance ...

gotta love lawyers tho ... his pitbull is on record basically defaming a bunch of innocent people for his client and now he has the gall to talk about coming clean ... just cash the cheque asshole ...

anyways - i do hold out a glimmer of hope that if he does come clean that it won't simply be a statement about how he was pressured into doping because that was the culture and that everyone else doped so i'm still the greatest ... but that he will actually for once show a sense of responsibility and blow the roof off ... that means taking down the UCI and everyone else who covered this whole thing up ...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    let's hope oprah doesn't beat him with a pillow :roll:

LOS ANGELES -- Lance Armstrong has agreed to an interview with Oprah Winfrey in which he is to address allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs during a career in which he won seven Tour de France titles.

According to Winfrey's website on Tuesday, this will be a "no-holds-barred interview." It will be the first with Armstrong since his cycling career crumbled under the weight of a massive report by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. The report detailed accusations of drug use by Armstrong and teammates on his U.S. Postal Service teams.

It's unclear if the interview at Armstrong's home in Austin, Texas, has already been taped. Nicole Nichols, a spokeswoman for Oprah Winfrey Network & Harpo Studios, declined comment.

The show will be broadcast Jan. 17 at 9 p.m. ET on OWN and Oprah.com.

Armstrong has strongly denied the doping charges that led to him being stripped of his Tour de France titles, but The New York Times reported Friday he has told associates he is considering acknowledging the use of performance enhancers.

The newspaper report cited anonymous sources, and Armstrong lawyer Tim Herman told The Associated Press that night he had no knowledge of Armstrong considering a confession.

Earlier Tuesday, "60 Minutes Sports" reported the head of USADA told the show a representative for Armstrong offered the agency a "donation" in excess of $150,000 several years before an investigation by the organization led to the loss of Armstrong's Tour de France titles.

In an interview for the premiere on Showtime on Wednesday night, USADA chief executive Travis Tygart said he was "stunned" when he received the offer in 2004.

"It was a clear conflict of interest for USADA," Tygart said. "We had no hesitation in rejecting that offer."

Herman denied such an offer was made.

"No truth to that story," Herman wrote Tuesday in an email to the AP. "First Lance heard of it was today. He never made any such contribution or suggestion."

Tygart was traveling and did not respond to requests from the AP for comment. USADA spokeswoman Annie Skinner said Tygart's comments from the interview were accurate. In it, he reiterates what he told the AP last fall: He was surprised when federal investigators abruptly closed their two-year investigation into Armstrong and his business dealings, then refused to share any evidence they gathered.

"You'll have to ask the feds why they shut down," Tygart told the AP. "They enforce federal criminal laws. We enforce sports anti-doping violations. They're totally separate. We've done our job."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    This guy may just be the biggest fuck face ever.

Everything he does is self serving. Fuck him with a gigantic dildo.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He is a fuck face, for sure... Although his charity has raised something like half a billion dollars for cancer research, so not EVERYTHING he does is self-serving, to be fair.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    This guy got some pair of .....oh wait
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He is a fuck face, for sure... Although his charity has raised something like half a billion dollars for cancer research, so not EVERYTHING he does is self-serving, to be fair.

Cancer awareness, not research. Because people are not aware of cancer and that it is awful. If it went to research that would be awesome, but it went to Lance Armstr....errr, cancer awareness. Even that I think is self serving and I am starting to think was just a way for him to make a bigger name for himself.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cancer awareness, not research. Because people are not aware of cancer and that it is awful. If it went to research that would be awesome, but it went to Lance Armstr....errr, cancer awareness. Even that I think is self serving and I am starting to think was just a way for him to make a bigger name for himself.
    Okay, you're right - not cancer research (per se). This is what they do:
    We've worked to identify the issues faced by cancer survivors in order to comprehensively improve quality of life for members of the global cancer community.
    National Action Plan

In collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we chart a course for the public health community to address cancer survivorship.

National Action Plan: African American Priorities

Explore priorities for improving survival rates and quality of life for African American cancer survivors.

National Action Plan: Native American Priorities

Explore priorities for improving survival rates and quality of life for Native American cancer survivors.

AYAO Progress Review Group: YAA Priorities

Explore specific recommendations to address the unique issues in adolescent and young adult cancer survivorship.

National Call to Action for Cancer Survivors

Find evidence-based, actionable steps to reduce the risk of developing cancer and improve the quality of life for all cancer survivors.

LIVESTRONG Cancer Policy Platform

LIVESTRONG supports key policy initiatives at the global, federal and state levels to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.

Position Statement: Insurance Coverage for Iatrogenic Infertility

Explore specific recommendations and support for minimum insurance coverage of fertility preservation for cancer survivors at risk for infertility caused by necessary medical treatments.
    Seems pretty good to me. It's always good to give credit where credit is due, even if a fuck face is involved in something good. I'm no Armstrong apologist, but Livestrong has been a good thing.
  • Options
    And I do. I have said in this thead that his book really helped my old man through his first cancer and I have always been appreciative of that. I just question his intentions.

He has ruined so many peoples lives destroying their name and now he is going to confess....come on, save it.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree. I wish he'd go away. This "apology" or whatever it is is just as self serving as everything else. What a pitiful waste of a life.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And I do. I have said in this thead that his book really helped my old man through his first cancer and I have always been appreciative of that. I just question his intentions.

He has ruined so many peoples lives destroying their name and now he is going to confess....come on, save it.

I don't personally question his intentions as far as the charity stuff goes any more than I question anyone who heads up a charity organization (I suspect that most of those people at least in part do it because of the position it gives them socially). As for his confession... Eh, what else is he supposed to do? He really painted himself into a corner with all the lying. His options are to keep denying or to confess what everyone already knows. I don't think he has much of a choice. It's not like people are just leaving him alone and letting him fade into obscurity. Making a big public confession (and presumably an apology that none of us are going to take to heart) seems like his only option at this point. Of course it's self-serving (although I'm sure the charity is on his mind too) ... it's the only possible thing that might let him move on from this shit show. At times we are all self-serving, and need to be, right? Again, not a fan of this guy, but I have no problem looking at the situation logically and not emotionally.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't personally question his intentions as far as the charity stuff goes any more than I question anyone who heads up a charity organization (I suspect that most of those people at least in part do it because of the position it gives them socially). As for his confession... Eh, what else is he supposed to do? He really painted himself into a corner with all the lying. His options are to keep denying or to confess what everyone already knows. I don't think he has much of a choice. It's not like people are just leaving him alone and letting him fade into obscurity. Making a big public confession (and presumably an apology that none of us are going to take to heart) seems like his only option at this point.

And a subsequent book to make money off it. Just wait. I just want him to go away.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't personally question his intentions as far as the charity stuff goes any more than I question anyone who heads up a charity organization (I suspect that most of those people at least in part do it because of the position it gives them socially). As for his confession... Eh, what else is he supposed to do? He really painted himself into a corner with all the lying. His options are to keep denying or to confess what everyone already knows. I don't think he has much of a choice. It's not like people are just leaving him alone and letting him fade into obscurity. Making a big public confession (and presumably an apology that none of us are going to take to heart) seems like his only option at this point.

And a subsequent book to make money off it. Just wait. I just want him to go away.
    He would write a book either way... I actually don't have a problem with anyone writing a book and earning piles of money. People writing books doesn't bother me, even if they're pricks.
    I don't care if he goes away or not. It seems a lot of people are interested in this whole thing. The book will do well.
  • Options
    remember when Lance Armstrong was relevant?

......neither do I
  • Options
    remember when Lance Armstrong was relevant?

......neither do I
    But to cycling fans he was as relevant as Gretzky was and is to hockey fans. That's really relevant - just depends who you are!
  • Options
    lance armstrong has benefited way more from his charity than any cancer victim ... he used to charge $50k to go on a "ride" with lance ... under the guise of his charity ... but only $35k went to the charity ...

livestrong's primary goal was to build up the brand that is lance ... how else do you explain two different websites with different intentions ... .com and .org

anyways - this is all about lance being lance ... it's about him wanting to race again ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lance armstrong has benefited way more from his charity than any cancer victim ... he used to charge $50k to go on a "ride" with lance ... under the guise of his charity ... but only $35k went to the charity ...

livestrong's primary goal was to build up the brand that is lance ... how else do you explain two different websites with different intentions ... .com and .org

anyways - this is all about lance being lance ... it's about him wanting to race again ...
    I kind of want him to race again... just for the drama. I mean, wouldn't he spend the whole race having rotten tomatoes being thrown at him?? I don't see how he could possibly race in public ever again.