Options

Lance Armstrong doping ?

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/ ... bsCarousel

This guy George Hincapie gave up his gold medal,
and now comes out of nowhere to accuse Armstrong of doping ?
Hasnt he passed every doping test ever administered to him ?
I will be watching this on Sundays 60 Minutes,...
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Hope not.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    armstrong most likely doped. there is so much against him right now, including evidence that is being used in his federal investigation. But there is one thing that he did do cleanly: RAISE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR CANCER RESEARCH. So obviously it's bad that he cheated, but he still has a great thing going with Livestrong
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I'm so sick of hearing about all this doping bullshit with cycling. I couldn't care less about this at this point.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Cannot take the Tour de FARCE seriously.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Lance was a beast... 7x's!!
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Seems like every year somebody comes out and says he doped, but I never take it that seriously because it's always some shady character. I could really care less, cycling isn't my thing, and the sport seems to be more crooked than baseball was in the late 90's through early 00's.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Of course he did.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667
    Seems like every year somebody comes out and says he doped, but I never take it that seriously because it's always some shady character. I could really care less, cycling isn't my thing, and the sport seems to be more crooked than baseball was in the late 90's through early 00's.

Test NFL and MLB players the same way cyclists are tested and you'd probably have about one-third of your players left when the rest are banned for two years (that's probably being generous). That's the problem with policing it, because then you have more athletes being caught and then it projects the image that it's crooked. Currently, cycling is the cleanest it's ever been. You have people coming out now saying they doped because they're retired/banned from the sport and they're likely to be older and rode in the 90's early 2000's.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,667
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/20/60minutes/main20064858.shtml?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

This guy George Hincapie gave up his gold medal,
    and now comes out of nowhere to accuse Armstrong of doping ?
    Hasnt he passed every doping test ever administered to him ?
    I will be watching this on Sundays 60 Minutes,...

If you follow cycling at all, this is huge that Hincapie not only said he saw him dope, but that he himself doped. Hincapie is still racing and a confession puts that at a huge risk. Also, Hincapie's loyalty to Lance was incredibly solid. Other people who accused him in the past where questionable with regard to their trust (e.g. guys who got caught doping and then lied for years). Or it was a couple people who said they heard him tell a doctor that he doped (when he was diagnosed with cancer). This will be interesting how he handles this, because normally any accuser gets immediately dismantled and Lance maintains his denials. My guess is he will do the same with Hincapie. Lance taking the high road and owning it puts his whole Livestrong organization at risk.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    manutd3581 wrote:
    armstrong most likely doped. there is so much against him right now, including evidence that is being used in his federal investigation. But there is one thing that he did do cleanly: RAISE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR CANCER RESEARCH. So obviously it's bad that he cheated, but he still has a great thing going with Livestrong

If he doped, then I don't really think he raised $$ for cancer research cleanly. I mean, dirty money spends the same, but it kinda changes his whole thing. LIVESTRONG...........on 'roids. It turns the guy from an American hero to a pretty major scumbag imo. If it comes out that he juiced I don't think people will be willing to look past his overall douchiness anymore.

Too much smoke for no fire, I think. Hincappie isn't really an accuser like alot of them are, but a witness under oath. I'm sure there's people that have accused him before that don't have an axe to grind with him.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    if he doped, he covered it very very well.
    Personally, i do not think he did. 500+ clean drug tests, in and out of competition over 20 years shows something.
    All the people who accuse him are the ones who get caught. Guess they need to make a quick buck as they have lost their job for 2 years
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    Unless they can produce physical evidence, (a failed test), it probably doesn't matter how many people come out and say he doped.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    eddiec wrote:
    Unless they can produce physical evidence, (a failed test), it probably doesn't matter how many people come out and say he doped.

I believe this is the case or if some video evidence comes to light. He does have one saving grace and that is ALL the money he has raised for cancer research.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/ ... x795-1.jpg

Just the same he was one hell of a rider and stragest while bringing the sport of cycling to the forefront here in the states.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    eddiec wrote:

60 minutes says he failed a test
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    funny thatthey say that but the UCI and the testers say the oppisite
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

60 minutes says he failed a test

you mean tyler "i have an unborn twin inside me that caused the bad blood test" hamilton? totally credible ;)
  • Options
    Well, it's a little more than just that guys word, they have that meeting being set up with the lab and organized by the organization at the same time as the test in question
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    this time it may stick.

it's not just disgruntled ex-teammates and the french press :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:
    this time it may stick.

it's not just disgruntled ex-teammates and the french press :?

To put it bluntly I think he's fucked. :lol:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    It's funny how people pretend to actually care about cycling whenever these doping charges come up...
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It's funny how people pretend to actually care about cycling whenever these doping charges come up...

I do agree but he is a pretty big representative of the United States worldwide and this is just not good.
  • Options

do I follow it year-round? no.

but I fucking LOVE the TDF :corn:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    He really dropped the ball.
  • Options
    voidofman wrote:
    He really dropped the ball.

I think I see what you did there :shifty:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i will say that i believe he is straight up and badass as it gets. he has a enlarged heart 1/2 yet again bigger than a normal heart. the dude has good character and isn't some steroid/drug freak...to my knowledge anyway. he is a phenomenal athlete
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    I just don't get the vendetta against Lance. It seems as if no other athlete that has passed so many tests is routinely brought up on these charges. He no longer races competitively, why the ongoing witch trial to discredit him and strip him of his wins. In all of sports I have never seen an athlete investigated like this. First it was the French because they were pissed off an American was winning their grand prize, now the US Gov't keeps stalking him. I say let it go already.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/armstrongcharging0613.pdf

This is the letter to Armstrong, Bruyneel and the other three that are being charged. Lance is not a nice guy. If you read the charges part of it includes using coercion and intimidation to force team mates into doping and lying. He is known for being a bully, and will all of the power he wielded he could and did hurt a lot of other cyclists who tried to stand up to him and change the doping culture of cycling. Lance was win at any cost including taking doping in cycling to a whole different level. He had money to pay off UCI who hid his positive test result from the Tour de Swiss in 2001. He donated large sums of money to UCI and who knows how many other results have been covered up or changed because of this. Although it is likely that many others doped Lance did it in such a systematic and wide spread way that there is a reason to focus on him and his partners in crime. He is/was the "godfather" of doping in cycling. In an investigation the focus is on the "big guns."

I despise Lance for what he did to Simeoni in 2004, and what he did not Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis after they had the balls to come forward and admit to what they did, and admit what Lance did. He also launched his vindictive, mean campaign against Betsy Andreau and his masseuse (can't think of name) who also told of their knowledge of his doping. So anyway, Lance deserves any and all repercussion. It is my fear that his power and influence may get him out of this too.

As to how many millions he has raised for cancer research.... there are lots and lots of questions about that too. There is a difference between livestrong.org and livestrong.com. It appears that lots and lots of money that people think is going to livestrong cancer beneficiaries is really going to livestrong.com. It is a very convoluted corporate entanglement but it appears as if Lance gets a lot of money personally because livestrong.com is not the charitable organization. Also, even livestrong.org doesn't pretend to fund cancer research. It is all about cancer "awareness."

Don't know what's going to happen to Radio Shack Nissan Trek now. Bruyneel is being charged, and Andy Schleck announced he won't be in the TDF due to a cracked tail bone.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    ^^^^ the last three posts perfectly show the dichotomy of public opinion when it comes to lance.

I gotta fall into the riverrunner camp.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    chadwick wrote:
    i will say that i believe he is straight up and badass as it gets. he has a enlarged heart 1/2 yet again bigger than a normal heart. the dude has good character and isn't some steroid/drug freak...to my knowledge anyway. he is a phenomenal athlete

Does he really have an enlarged heart? I am curious about this. Where did you hear/read that? It makes me wonder if it's enlarged from injecting erythropoietin for blood doping??
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."