Options

Lance Armstrong doping ?

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I kind of want him to race again... just for the drama. I mean, wouldn't he spend the whole race having rotten tomatoes being thrown at him?? I don't see how he could possibly race in public ever again.

his public perception didn't really take that big of a hit ... i think most people treat it like - everyone was cheating then (and they were) so, really all he was doing what everyone else was doing ...

what makes lance an A+ asshole wasn't that he cheated but what he was prepared to do to hide the fact he cheated ... and most people don't really know that part of the story ...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,624
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I kind of want him to race again... just for the drama. I mean, wouldn't he spend the whole race having rotten tomatoes being thrown at him?? I don't see how he could possibly race in public ever again.

his public perception didn't really take that big of a hit ... i think most people treat it like - everyone was cheating then (and they were) so, really all he was doing what everyone else was doing ...

what makes lance an A+ asshole wasn't that he cheated but what he was prepared to do to hide the fact he cheated ... and most people don't really know that part of the story ...
    You think so? That's not my perception. As far as I can tell, the public is pretty disgusted with him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    You think so? That's not my perception. As far as I can tell, the public is pretty disgusted with him.

ya ... hence my point that livestrong did more for lance than it ever did for cancer victims ... the majority of articles related to lance talked about livestrong ... no one wants to shit on that charity ... and he is livestrong ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

ya ... hence my point that livestrong did more for lance than it ever did for cancer victims ... the majority of articles related to lance talked about livestrong ... no one wants to shit on that charity ... and he is livestrong ...
    Hmm... I dunno. I'm not seeing it the same as you. Livestrong can go on without Lance; he has stepped down from his position with the charity. So it's good that no one wants to shit on the charity. I just don't think that's keeping people from shitting directly on him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Hmm... I dunno. I'm not seeing it the same as you. Livestrong can go on without Lance; he has stepped down from his position with the charity. So it's good that no one wants to shit on the charity. I just don't think that's keeping people from shitting directly on him.

dude was out in public in two major events ... one was a fundraiser for livestrong ... another some bike ride thing ... and in both - he got tons of cheers ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

dude was out in public in two major events ... one was a fundraiser for livestrong ... another some bike ride thing ... and in both - he got tons of cheers ...
    There are always a small number of people who will go out and support a creep or stand behind someone who doesn't deserve it. But that doesn't mean it's a reflection of the general public's sentiment. Of course there are still fans out there who will stand behind him, but not most I don't think... He will not be able to make a comeback IMO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    There are always a small number of people who will go out and support a creep or stand behind someone who doesn't deserve it. But that doesn't mean it's a reflection of the general public's sentiment. Of course there are still fans out there who will stand behind him, but not most I don't think... He will not be able to make a comeback IMO.

lance has enough money ... he isn't making a comeback for money ... he is simply just facilitating his ego ... his desire to compete ... he could care less what people think ... if his lifetime ban gets removed - you can be sure he will be back racing which is what this is all about ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

lance has enough money ... he isn't making a comeback for money ... he is simply just facilitating his ego ... his desire to compete ... he could care less what people think ... if his lifetime ban gets removed - you can be sure he will be back racing which is what this is all about ...
    Couldn't care less. ;)

I have no doubt he would race again if he could... I'm just questioning how tolerant the other racers and spectators would be. I don't think he could do it without being relentlessly booed at every race. I don't know if he would continue if that were the case.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Couldn't care less. ;)

I have no doubt he would race again if he could... I'm just questioning how tolerant the other racers and spectators would be. I don't think he could do it without being relentlessly booed at every race. I don't know if he would continue if that were the case.

that's really secondary ... as it relates to lance ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Couldn't care less. ;)

that's really secondary ... as it relates to lance ...
    :?: ... I thought we were talking about him racing again and how that would go and how people would react to him ... :think:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :?: ... I thought we were talking about him racing again and how that would go and how people would react to him ... :think:

ya ... all i'm saying is lance wants to race again and that he hasn't taken as big of a hit on the public perception side as some may think ... no one is gonna be throwing any tomatoes at him ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

ya ... all i'm saying is lance wants to race again and that he hasn't taken as big of a hit on the public perception side as some may think ... no one is gonna be throwing any tomatoes at him ...
    I guess we'll see! ... I would throw tomatoes at him if I had any interest in watching a bike race or being arrested.... Europeans could probably get away with some tomato throwing though. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I guess we'll see! ... I would throw tomatoes at him if I had any interest in watching a bike race or being arrested.... Europeans could probably get away with some tomato throwing though. ;)

he'll be racing mostly triathalons ... mostly stateside ... he'll be safe ...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

hope he gets the stick in the spokes treatment. maybe he'll have to go exclusively solid wheel :think:

that said, he'll never compete again (I hope).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

hope he gets the stick in the spokes treatment. maybe he'll have to go exclusively solid wheel :think:

that said, he'll never compete again (I hope).
    I don't really see why anyone would let him. Sure it would bring publicity, but not the positive kind, and actually, not ALL publicity is good publicity. No sponsor likes to be connected to cheating and scandal if they can help it.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Lance Armstrong to admit to doping in an interview with Oprah Winfrey. Get the fake tears ready Lance. :lol:
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    DS1119 wrote:
    Lance Armstrong to admit to doping in an interview with Oprah Winfrey. Get the fake tears ready Lance. :lol:
    :D Lots of crocodile tears for sure. What a joke. Amazing timing on this frauds part...all of this just months after the statute of limitations expired from that 2005 arbitration fight with the Dallas promotional company...
    Jeez...I hope everyone that was sued by this crook for libel or settled recoups their dough...
    Do you hear that sound? It's billions of yellow fraudulent Livestrong bracelets being dumped into landfills across the world.
    This is a feeble attempt to help the Livestrong foundation that most sensible people now realize is a joke. Please don't rant on about how many people found strength and hope, etc and how many people it helped...That's great, but just like Jerry Sandusky's foundation, it was built on lies, deceit, fraud and the pompous belief that the founder was better than all and couldn't get caught.
    Every great fortune started with at least one great crime
    I hope Lance goes away, stays away and the lifetime ban on him isn't lifted based on "coming clean"
    Give me a break Lance. You broke hearts. You stole belief and trust. You lied. You cheated. Your perpetuated a fraud on people for decades and preyed on their sense of sympathy. Disgusting. And I hope after this Oprah fiasco, we never hear, see, utter this guys name ever again.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    Seriously though... did any cycling fan or anyone else actually ever believe that a man could win 7 Tour de Frances the way he did?? It was like someone going to the Olympics and running the 100m in 8 seconds. Impossible without help. I am surprised by the Guy's audacity, but not by the fact that he doped.
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Seriously though... did any cycling fan or anyone else actually ever believe that a man could win 7 Tour de Frances the way he did?? It was like someone going to the Olympics and running the 100m in 8 seconds. Impossible without help. I am surprised by the Guy's audacity, but not by the fact that he doped.
    Nope, not shocked at all he cheated - everyone for ages has been "accused" of cheating in cycling (fairly or not)
    Its the way Lance went so 'agro' against all of the the allegations to begin with. Admitting it now, based on the aforementioned timing makes his plethora of lies and betrayals look FAR worse. Ask your self this: is he TRULY remorseful or is this for his wanting to compete in future things? I mean, where the hell was this guys conscience all of this time? The audacity when he gets the titles stripped and to "twitter" a picture of him lounging under the framed jerseys? Give me a break.
    Its not so much the lying & cheating - that's bad enough. It's the audacity and pompousness in pointing his finger at his accusers and the lawsuits and the nonsense. The guy ruined his legacy. He continued to taint the sport he claimed to love. He hurt the reputations of many. He had a charity and foundation that was based on fraud.
    He needs to go away. Forever. Shut his pie hole, donate his 100 million to a great cause without slamming it in peoples faces.
    I'm done with this guy. Ya, it hurts, cause I believed.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    if this is true, i think its possible the guy does feel remorse. After over a decade of explicit denial, why now? it wasnt but 2 or 3 months ago, he was suggesting he vehemently disagreed with the USADA and tweeted a photo of himself sitting in his living room with all 7 Tour Jerseys hanging on the wall, and he said something like "i know who won those 7 tours".

Why would he feel he has to confess? Thats the odd thing? Unless of course he feels remorse. Bonds will deny he used until the day he dies. He'll never admit it, and him confessing now would make no sense.

On the other hand someone like Mcgwire, genuinely did seem to feel remorse when he confessed. Ive long said, Mcgwire is haunted by his decision to use and will be for the rest of his life. You can tell it torments him. So i do think its possible to feel remorse after lying. And he's proof.

Also, do you think he'll try and bring down the entire cycling world if he does confess? Seems like all the cyclists so far who has confessed have also implicated others, it wasnt just focused on them admitting guilt.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

of course people did. did you follow his story and the fan reaction during those years?

Eddy Merxx considered the greatest cyclist of all time until lance came along won the tour 5 times total, including 4 in a row.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    There's only one reason why he's confessing now. Money. I'm sure within a few months (probably by the tour de france start), an official lance armstrong book will come out detailing everything.
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    :D Lots of crocodile tears for sure. What a joke. Amazing timing on this frauds part...all of this just months after the statute of limitations expired from that 2005 arbitration fight with the Dallas promotional company...
    Jeez...I hope everyone that was sued by this crook for libel or settled recoups their dough...
    Do you hear that sound? It's billions of yellow fraudulent Livestrong bracelets being dumped into landfills across the world.
    This is a feeble attempt to help the Livestrong foundation that most sensible people now realize is a joke. Please don't rant on about how many people found strength and hope, etc and how many people it helped...That's great, but just like Jerry Sandusky's foundation, it was built on lies, deceit, fraud and the pompous belief that the founder was better than all and couldn't get caught.
    Every great fortune started with at least one great crime
    I hope Lance goes away, stays away and the lifetime ban on him isn't lifted based on "coming clean"
    Give me a break Lance. You broke hearts. You stole belief and trust. You lied. You cheated. Your perpetuated a fraud on people for decades and preyed on their sense of sympathy. Disgusting. And I hope after this Oprah fiasco, we never hear, see, utter this guys name ever again.

I do think its possible for people to do something wrong, and admit it and feel remorse. Whether thats the case, or will be the case, if he confesses on Oprah, I have no idea. But certainly America is a forgiving nation. Look at Clinton.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    There's only one reason why he's confessing now. Money. I'm sure within a few months (probably by the tour de france start), an official lance armstrong book will come out detailing everything.

he already wrote a book. Lots of dopers continue to refuse to admit anything, and thus will not make money off a book. Bonds could confess and write a book too, doesnt mean he will.

plus a lance book about him denying the accusations and him detailing the last few years, would sell just as many copies as the book of his confessing. He's not a pariah. Its not like if he throws a fundraiser or an event, that no one would show up and support him. Even if he's not personally involved in LiveStrong anymore, if he was to throw an event or attend an event, he certainly wouldnt be shunned.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

of course people did. did you follow his story and the fan reaction during those years?

Eddy Merxx considered the greatest cyclist of all time until lance came along won the tour 5 times total, including 4 in a row.
    Yeah, I have been aware of his story of course.... seemed implausible to me. I believed it was likely that he was doping from what I knew. Seemed fishy. Just like that 15 year old Olympic swimmer who broke the world record by a long shot last summer... that seems fishy to me too (as it did to everyone). But then she passes a drug test and suddenly everyone is cool.with it. Not I. Still seems fishy to me. When it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I'm don't have high expectations of the interview. Lance chose Oprah because she will only ask soft questions. He will answer in vague terms and no mention will be made of how mean he is, i.e. ruining people's careers and businesses because they opposed doping in cycling or spoke out against it.

I can't figure out why he would admit to anything anyway. He has two lawsuits pending, plus possibly the qui tam action. His admitting doping seems to me would hurt him in those lawsuits. And he has already been barred for life from competition so not sure how his confessing on Oprah would change any of that. Maybe it is because he can't stand to stay out of the limelight and he thinks this is his chance to postpone obscurity for a while. As far as remorse. Knowing the things that Lance has done over the past 15 years or more I don't think he as the ability to feel remorse, honesty or compassion. But he can put up a good front.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    I'm don't have high expectations of the interview. Lance chose Oprah because she will only ask soft questions. He will answer in vague terms and no mention will be made of how mean he is, i.e. ruining people's careers and businesses because they opposed doping in cycling or spoke out against it.

I can't figure out why he would admit to anything anyway. He has two lawsuits pending, plus possibly the qui tam action. His admitting doping seems to me would hurt him in those lawsuits. And he has already been barred for life from competition so not sure how his confessing on Oprah would change any of that. Maybe it is because he can't stand to stay out of the limelight and he thinks this is his chance to postpone obscurity for a while. As far as remorse. Knowing the things that Lance has done over the past 15 years or more I don't think he as the ability to feel remorse, honesty or compassion. But he can put up a good front.
    Yeah, he obviously chose Oprah for a reason. If he wanted to actually come clean, he'd have picked Barbara Walters or something. This will be like a televised therapy session. Oprah will sympathize with him.
    I fucking hate Oprah.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah, he obviously chose Oprah for a reason. If he wanted to actually come clean, he'd have picked Barbara Walters or something. This will be like a televised therapy session. Oprah will sympathize with him.
    I fucking hate Oprah.

I've seen plenty of "shamed" people go on Oprah, and it's always the same, it gets turned pity/sympathy party for the accused, and they always come out looking sympathetic, then Oprah gives them a reality show. All except for James Frey, but he made the mistake of crossing Oprah herself, and she isn't as forgiving as she expects us to be.

I'm not sure Barbara Walters would be better. She's lost all journalistic integrity in my opinion, and is just a tabloid journalist more obsessed with celebrity (and constantly reminding us she's friends with celebrities) than truth or anything like that. One of the worst things I saw of her was when "Catch Me If You Can" came out. She had Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Leonardo DiCaprio on her show. She totally ignored Hanks and Spielberg, and just flirted with DiCaprio in a very awkward manner and asked him a bunch of stupid questions like if he had a girlfriend, and what he looks for in a girl, etc.

I could sit here and list the shows I'd like to see him go on, where they wouldn't pussyfoot around the issue, but Lance isn't going to go on any of those shows. He chose Oprah for a reason. He wants to come across as sympathetic, and Oprah will do that for him. She'll do anything he wants for the exclusive, Oprah is dying to stay relevant since she retired from her show.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I fucking hate Oprah.

I've seen plenty of "shamed" people go on Oprah, and it's always the same, it gets turned pity/sympathy party for the accused, and they always come out looking sympathetic, then Oprah gives them a reality show. All except for James Frey, but he made the mistake of crossing Oprah herself, and she isn't as forgiving as she expects us to be.

I'm not sure Barbara Walters would be better. She's lost all journalistic integrity in my opinion, and is just a tabloid journalist more obsessed with celebrity (and constantly reminding us she's friends with celebrities) than truth or anything like that. One of the worst things I saw of her was when "Catch Me If You Can" came out. She had Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Leonardo DiCaprio on her show. She totally ignored Hanks and Spielberg, and just flirted with DiCaprio in a very awkward manner and asked him a bunch of stupid questions like if he had a girlfriend, and what he looks for in a girl, etc.

I could sit here and list the shows I'd like to see him go on, where they wouldn't pussyfoot around the issue, but Lance isn't going to go on any of those shows. He chose Oprah for a reason. He wants to come across as sympathetic, and Oprah will do that for him. She'll do anything he wants for the exclusive, Oprah is dying to stay relevant since she retired from her show.
    Ah, the James Frey incident! That was actually the thing that made me really hate that woman! Before that it was mostly just indifference. But with Frey her true colours were finally completely exposed. What a bitch!
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    This is too good. Apparently the newspaper in Britain that got sued by Lance a few years go for printing a story about Lance doping, took out this full page ad in the Chicago paper! Ha! Will Oprah listen? Naw.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/10-questions-walsh-would-ask-lance-armstrong?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Another reason why Lance may be going on Oprah, and this may be too much of conspiracy theory, but what if Lance really has no intention to confess he just wants everyone to watch the show so he can repeat the same ole shit he has repeated before.... everybody did it (doping), it was a level playing field, I've done so much good for cancer patients, witch hunt, jealous people etc. etc. And he knows that if he leaks info that he is going to confess everyone will be tuning in. Of course, not sure how that would help him that much except he thinks it is a way to continue to fight without legally fighting.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi