NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    lukin2006 wrote:
    In my book the NHL proved that they are the worst run league in pro sports. Don Cherry discussing Rome discipline said the suspension should have been 2 games, then Ron McClean mentioned that Mike Murphy consulted Burke from the Maple Leafs before suspending Rome. What kind of league consult other teams general managers before handing out discipline...it's also no secrete that Burke and Gillis don't see eye to eye.

Of course Cherry went to ballistic...and basically said how wrong it was.

The on after 40 minutes on CBC McClean interviewed Ken Holland of Detroit and Rob Blake...and Holland admitted he's been consulted by Campbell about discipline...wtf.

That league has very little integrity as of now...and the the cup finals should be your finest moment of the year.

Agreed. Everything about this series has been handled poorly, both by the league and by the teams involved...oh and for those of you in Canada who don't have the luxury of watching NBC/Versus coverage, it's been handled incredibly poorly by them as well.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Why do ppl hate the Sedins?

I was at Rogers Arena tonight. Urrgghhh. The collective sigh.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    haffajappa wrote:

I have no problem with the Sedins, but I am curious, from the perspective of a Canucks fan...Luango...thoughts?
  • sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    haffajappa wrote:

Because they are pussy cats. Did you mean the two invisible men as Mike Milbury called Thelma and Louise.
    Win game 1 on offsides goal. Game 2 Thomas decided to do his Ryan Miller impression. Goodbye Vancouver.
    sabreleaf wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Because they are pussy cats. Did you mean the two invisible men as Mike Milbury called Thelma and Louise.
    :roll:
    They went thru a bad stretch, its professional sports, it happens.
    As for "dives" tonight I saw them take abuse all night and get up and skate off.
    I've got nothing but respect for the Sedins, as a Canuck fan it is frustrating when they go thru lulls but this is the nature of sports. I don't understand why people are zeroing in on them. It's like if you're not some sort of goon who hits hard you don't deserve respect.

from the province:
    One is a Hart Trophy winner, both have Art Ross trophies and Daniel is a candidate for the Hart again this year. They make a $1.5 million Cdn donation to Children's Hospital in Vancouver between them, have never had anyone in the game say a negative word about them yet Mike Milbury on U.S. national television refers to them as 'Thelma and Louise,' just because they happen to be having a tough stretch.

which pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

oh well i guess
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    haffajappa wrote:

Because twins are creepy.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    metsfan wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

the hit was late ... this isn't roller derby ... a guy has to have a chance to protect himself or avoid the hit ... no one wants to take out the physicality of the game but hits like that don't make the game any better all they will do is put more guys on the IR for a lot longer ...
    not denying the hit was late but when you stop in between the blue lines or have your head down or admire the pass you deserve to get hit hard.

so you don't think people wanna take hitting outta the game, heres your proof people do

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... -rule.html

brian burke is dead on. hell lets make the rinks bigger while at it and get rid of fighting and be totally euro hockey. 17.gif

He is right that it is a full contact sport and that needs to be maintained. The players however, must have some respect for each other and not try to kill each other. That play is like hitting a defenseless receiver in football, which they are trying to eliminate. Whether Horton was admiring his pass or following the developing play, to say his head needs to "be on a swivel" is old school and not as applicable with the size and speed of these guys today. Rome is looking and him and tries to take his head off at least 10 feet after he passed, that's not good. My 2 cents, as a Bruins fan since before their last cup.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    In my book the NHL proved that they are the worst run league in pro sports. Don Cherry discussing Rome discipline said the suspension should have been 2 games, then Ron McClean mentioned that Mike Murphy consulted Burke from the Maple Leafs before suspending Rome. What kind of league consult other teams general managers before handing out discipline...it's also no secrete that Burke and Gillis don't see eye to eye.

The on after 40 minutes on CBC McClean interviewed Ken Holland of Detroit and Rob Blake...and Holland admitted he's been consulted by Campbell about discipline...wtf.

That league has very little integrity as of now...and the the cup finals should be your finest moment of the year.
    i feel sorry for you that you have to listen to cherry. it's almost like american viewers putting up with Jones, JR or shithead milbury

Don't feel sorry for me...you got the same choice we do...change the channel if you don't want to hear them, Cherry is very popular over here, with Cherry you either love or hate him.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Danimal wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Because twins are creepy.

More like they because they dive every chance they can get........and if it gets nasty they go into a turtle shell.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

haffajappa wrote:

There suppose to be your best players...2 games in Boston, less than 10 shots combined, game 2 in Boston they had a good 1st period, not overly impressive after that.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    metsfan wrote:
    not denying the hit was late but when you stop in between the blue lines or have your head down or admire the pass you deserve to get hit hard.

so you don't think people wanna take hitting outta the game, heres your proof people do

brian burke is dead on. hell lets make the rinks bigger while at it and get rid of fighting and be totally euro hockey. 17.gif

uhhh ... i'm not sure i where that proof is ... i read the link and they don't mention anything about getting rid of hitting ...

in any case - this admiring the pass is sooo absurd ... you can argue that maybe he should have had his head forward in case someone decides to hit him late ... but as i've asked over and over again ... what part of the pass is there to admire!?? ... he's seeing how the play is developing where the puck is ...
    lukin2006 wrote:

1. brian burke used to have colin campbell's job ... and he was asked specifically on how and why he came to his suspension conclusions in the playoffs ...
    2. he was not asked nor was it ever discussed on what burke's thoughts were on the Rome hit
    3. the nhl did a great job of explaining the process by which they came to the conclusion - you can disagree with it but they answered all the questions
    4. i personally like the way the nhl involves ex-players in competition committees and now disciplinary action
    edited June 2011
    This guy is going to rebound??????????/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6NhEiIqj2I&t=2m48s
    Post edited by Indifference on

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Funny, this series/playoff is turning me the opposite way. I sorta liked Vancouver going into these playoffs, but I can't stand them now.
    I leaning the same way on Vancouver. Still, I have to root for them ... can't stand to see Patriot fans happy. ;)
    the sedins are who they are ... gifted and talented ... ryan kesler they are not ... i would like them on the leafs for sure ... people have their expectations of what they think a hockey player should be but that's them ... hockey is a team game and everyone needs to do their part especially in the stanley cup final ... the flopping stuff does need to go tho ... but every top player in every top sport does it (see lebron james) ...

anyways ... vancouver just needs to get some of that passion back when they get home ... they basically were deflated after the rome hit and haven't been the same since ... considering they won game 1 in the dying seconds and game 2 on a brutal play by thomas ... they are lucky to be going home tied 2-2 ... time for them to continue to press the action and to not get involved in the stupid stuff ... kesler has to be vancouver's marchand ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The Sedin flopping is boarder-line embarrassing at times. The guys are great skaters but act like there's a sniper in the building a handful of times a period. Everyone tries to draw calls, and embellish things a bit, but man, pick and choose your spots, you might actually get more calls.

Kessler has disappointed me... there are games where you notice him on every shift, but not so much this series. He's been invisible for long stretches.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    polaris_x wrote:
    the sedins are who they are ... gifted and talented ... ryan kesler they are not ... i would like them on the leafs for sure ... people have their expectations of what they think a hockey player should be but that's them ... hockey is a team game and everyone needs to do their part especially in the stanley cup final ... the flopping stuff does need to go tho ... but every top player in every top sport does it (see lebron james) ...

anyways ... vancouver just needs to get some of that passion back when they get home ... they basically were deflated after the rome hit and haven't been the same since ... considering they won game 1 in the dying seconds and game 2 on a brutal play by thomas ... they are lucky to be going home tied 2-2 ... time for them to continue to press the action and to not get involved in the stupid stuff ... kesler has to be vancouver's marchand ...

If the Sedins are who they are, then play like who they are, 1 won the MVP last the year and the other is favoured this year, then play like MVP's.

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    loujj1.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Heisenberg wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Agreed. Everything about this series has been handled poorly, both by the league and by the teams involved...oh and for those of you in Canada who don't have the luxury of watching NBC/Versus coverage, it's been handled incredibly poorly by them as well.

When he consulted Burke he wanted to know how Burke handled the Draper/Lemieux incident...I'll go out on a limb here, but I think most people including those in Detroit will agree, how are the 2 incidents remotely related. Lemieux tried to injure Draper and he did, Rome just tried to lay the body, it was unfortunate that Horton got injured, there was no intent to injure...just fucking incredible as to how the NHL can take 2 very separate incidents and try to relate them somehow.

I just hope Shanny does a better job, but have my doubts, I think they do whatever Bettman wants.

I just wish they would spend some $$$$ and take a good look at the equipment and the boards.

polaris_x wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

uhhh ... i'm not sure i where that proof is ... i read the link and they don't mention anything about getting rid of hitting ...

in any case - this admiring the pass is sooo absurd ... you can argue that maybe he should have had his head forward in case someone decides to hit him late ... but as i've asked over and over again ... what part of the pass is there to admire!?? ... he's seeing how the play is developing where the puck is ...

"If you go to that rule, you're going to take hitting right out of the game," said Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke.

lukin2006 wrote:
    "If you go to that rule, you're going to take hitting right out of the game," said Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke.

soo ... you don't think they should address hits to the head? ... they are not gonna take hitting out of the game ... this is brian burke being brian burke ... someone you don't like so i'm not really sure why you would be basing it on what he says ...

as for the draper/lemieux incident ... the incident is relevant because it happened in the playoffs where games matter ... and i don't care if mike murphy called jackie chan ... the more insight he gets the better ...

edit: oh and as far as the sedins go ... they are playing the game that got them there ... they haven't changed ... main thing right now is thomas is outplaying luongo ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

soo ... you don't think they should address hits to the head? ... they are not gonna take hitting out of the game ... this is brian burke being brian burke ... someone you don't like so i'm not really sure why you would be basing it on what he says ...

as for the draper/lemieux incident ... the incident is relevant because it happened in the playoffs where games matter ... and i don't care if mike murphy called jackie chan ... the more insight he gets the better ...

edit: oh and as far as the sedins go ... they are playing the game that got them there ... they haven't changed ... main thing right now is thomas is outplaying luongo ...

there supposed to be mvp's...then play like mvp's...oh maybe they can do what other mvp's have done in the past elevate your game in the playoffs.

I don't really have a problem with Burke in this situation...the NHL fucked up...I hope Shanny develops some consistency, but I doubt.

Other than the playoffs Lemieux/Draper un related. It's his job make the call.

The Sedin flopping is boarder-line embarrassing at times. The guys are great skaters but act like there's a sniper in the building a handful of times a period. Everyone tries to draw calls, and embellish things a bit, but man, pick and choose your spots, you might actually get more calls.

Kessler has disappointed me... there are games where you notice him on every shift, but not so much this series. He's been invisible for long stretches.

I agree...the Sedins are suppose to be MVP's neither has elevated their game, like MVP's of the past. Win or lose I'd give Thomas the playoff mvp.

lukin2006 wrote:
    there supposed to be mvp's...then play like mvp's...oh maybe they can do what other mvp's have done in the past elevate your game in the playoffs.

I don't really have a problem with Burke in this situation...the NHL fucked up...I hope Shanny develops some consistency, but I doubt.

ovechkin has won 2 of the last 3 hart trophy's ... what has he done in the playoffs!??

when was the last time the conn smythe trophy was awarded to the same guy as the hart trophy?

the playoffs are a different beast ... they are doing alright ... they are top 7 in scoring ... hockey is a team game and everyone has to step up ... vancouver is in a best of 3 position for the stanley cup with home ice advantage and its because of the play of the sedins ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I'd like to .see them address the shoulder pad issue. I agree with Cherry, get rid of that body armour most of those guys are wearing and they won't be using the shoulder as a weapon.

Recchi and Thorton from the Bruins wear normal shoulder pads, nobody questions their physicality.

Shanny and McCarty both wore older style shoulder pads and could play a very physical game, as a matter of fact Bob Probert did to, probably the toughest guy to ever play the game.

You can address the hits to the head...but they now need to address the equipment and the boards.

Horton got a concussion because his head bounced off the ice as a result of the hit, I'm willing to bet that if these guys did not have that body armour they wouldn't be using the shoulder quite the same way.

polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

ovechkin has won 2 of the last 3 hart trophy's ... what has he done in the playoffs!??

when was the last time the conn smythe trophy was awarded to the same guy as the hart trophy?

the playoffs are a different beast ... they are doing alright ... they are top 7 in scoring ... hockey is a team game and everyone has to step up ... vancouver is in a best of 3 position for the stanley cup with home ice advantage and its because of the play of the sedins ...

Your top player are expected to elevate their game in the playoffs, they have no elevated their game, as a matter of fact if they aren't in the top 4 in scoring, their game has slid.

Duh, I know it's a team game, but if your MVP players then elevate your game, they haven't.

Toews, Kane and Sharp did it last year
    Crosby and Malkin the year before
    and the year before that Zetterberg and Datsyuk

even this year, I really thought Datsyuk was responsible for forcing that series with SJ to 7 games. He's great in the regular season but elevated it tremendously in the playoffs.

And until I see an elevation in their game they'll never be on that list.

Another Canuck Turtle

33d8u0x.jpg

Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

haffajappa wrote:

Hate to break it to you...it's the truth, there getting pushed around...not so sure they will win 2 of the next 3.

Not sure what your coach is thinking but according to Ferarro, when Tanev and Ballard were paired together in the SJ series they were extremely effective, and Ferarro was certain that they'd be paired together in game 4.

At some point I would have thought he'd split the twins up to shake things up...if they don't change what their doing they are in trouble.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Your top player are expected to elevate their game in the playoffs, they have no elevated their game, as a matter of fact if they aren't in the top 4 in scoring, their game has slid.

Duh, I know it's a team game, but if your MVP players then elevate your game, they haven't.

Toews, Kane and Sharp did it last year
    Crosby and Malkin the year before
    and the year before that Zetterberg and Datsyuk

even this year, I really thought Datsyuk was responsible for forcing that series with SJ to 7 games. He's great in the regular season but elevated it tremendously in the playoffs.

And until I see an elevation in their game they'll never be on that list.

henrik is second by 1 pt and daniel is like 6th not far behind in scoring ...

they are in the stanley cup finals ... you think this team is where it is right now despite them!?? ... sure, they can play better but so can a lot of other guys ... really, they aren't capitalizing on the power play like they normally do in this series and that's a huge difference ...

you've been ragging on them the entire playoffs and yet here they are ... playing a best 2 of 3 for the cup with home ice advantage ...