NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Rome got 4 games ...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368125

really tho ... at this stage ... the length of suspension was inconsequential ... B's will need to put Seguin back in the lineup and soldier on ...

The NHL is so inconsistent with their rulings anyways...but from a bruins standpoint, hardly an even trade off.

well ... he could have been suspended for a year and i'm pretty sure the bruins wouldn't see it as even ...

i honestly don't think there was an intent to injure ... so, i would have suspended him like 2 games but i can see why they picked 4 as basically there was an overwhelming consensus on this hit vs. others ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Rome got 4 games ...

really tho ... at this stage ... the length of suspension was inconsequential ... B's will need to put Seguin back in the lineup and soldier on ...

The NHL is so inconsistent with their rulings anyways...but from a bruins standpoint, hardly an even trade off.

Yeah... it's easy to suspend a guy like Aaron Rome for four games. That's what bothers me about the league. If Horton stepped up and hit Rome like that, he'd get one game. The inconsistency of the League is a joke.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Rome got 4 games ...

well ... he could have been suspended for a year and i'm pretty sure the bruins wouldn't see it as even ...

i honestly don't think there was an intent to injure ... so, i would have suspended him like 2 games but i can see why they picked 4 as basically there was an overwhelming consensus on this hit vs. others ...

I think the 4 game suspension was more to prevent a potential massacre should the series go to 6 or 7
    and Vinegarault put Rome back in. This way, he is done no matter how long the series goes.

Wait until next year though, Hockey players have a long memory.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    seems fair.. boston looses one of their top players and vancouver loses a pylon.
    i hope that cheap shot, the burrows biting incident (and lack of suspension), and the dives the canucks are taking wakes the bruins up.

Do you really think the bruins or their fans would care if one of the Sedin's was gone for the season due to a late hit...I doubt they would. It's a fast game out there...Horton was admiring his pass...Rome had him in his trolly tracks...Horton got rocked...Rome got suspended...the league took care of business.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Do you really think the bruins or their fans would care if one of the Sedin's was gone for the season due to a late hit...I doubt they would. It's a fast game out there...Horton was admiring his pass...Rome had him in his trolly tracks...Horton got rocked...Rome got suspended...the league took care of business.

i keep reading he was admiring his pass ... it's absurd to say that ... it was a basic entry pass and he was seeing what lucic was going to do with the puck ... what's there to admire? ... he had his head up to where the play was ... you're not supposed to get hit when the puck is nowhere near you ...
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    lukin2006 wrote:
    seems fair.. boston looses one of their top players and vancouver loses a pylon.
    i hope that cheap shot, the burrows biting incident (and lack of suspension), and the dives the canucks are taking wakes the bruins up.

i'm confused. was it a late hit, or is it horton's fault for admiring his pass?
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i keep reading he was admiring his pass ... it's absurd to say that ... it was a basic entry pass and he was seeing what lucic was going to do with the puck ... what's there to admire? ... he had his head up to where the play was ... you're not supposed to get hit when the puck is nowhere near you ...

I agree.... I think he was watching to make sure the play was onsides. As soon as Lucic crossed the blue line Horton started to turn his head forward,
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i'm glad other people on this board see the absurdity in the observation "he was admiring his pass".

maybe he was watching the play because his team was entering the offensive zone with that thing that you use in that game.... what's that called... oh yeah the puck.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    lukin2006 wrote:

...Or Pacioretty...

...oh wait....................

It was a stupid hit, but the game is full of them, and not just by Canucks players.
    Do we need to remind ppl Rome was on the receiving end of a dirty hit last series? And there was no suspension there. I am all for suspending Rome obviously, even though I don't think he intended to injure Horton, but I also think that Bruins fans must have short memories if they think they are the only ones who are victims of unfortunate plays.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    ...it's a fast paced game...these guys are bigger and faster than ever before...and they'll likely only get faster and who knows bigger...more of these guys are going to suffer these type of injuries...they penalized Rome, inconsistantly of course, which is the NHL way.

How come Chara was not penalized for that hit on the Montreal player, it appeared that the guy did not have the puck.

And yes as far as I'm concerned...you better have your head on a swival out there, imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

haffajappa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

...Or Pacioretty...

...oh wait....................

It was a stupid hit, but the game is full of them, and not just by Canucks players.
    Do we need to remind ppl Rome was on the receiving end of a dirty hit last series? And there was no suspension there. I am all for suspending Rome obviously, even though I don't think he intended to injure Horton, but I also think that Bruins fans must have short memories if they think they are the only ones who are victims of unfortunate plays.

I agree with you totally...I know several Bruins fans and they all were gloating over that Chara hit and not one felt much sympathy for the Hab player...but today they were they hot.

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    lukin2006 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    I also think that Bruins fans must have short memories if they think they are the only ones who are victims of unfortunate plays.

I agree with you totally...I know several Bruins fans and they all were gloating over that Chara hit and not one felt much sympathy for the Hab player...but today they were they hot.

This is my direct quote after the Chara hit ... it was in a thread where Canadien fans were talking about press charges on Chara ... that's right, Canadien fans wanted to press charges.

But more importantly, you will find zero duplicity on my part about hits like this.
    jimed14 wrote:
    People need to chill out. There is nothing you can do to control this ... unless you want to stop watching, stop going to games, etc ... which you're not going to do.

The league is fucking daft for not suspending Chara for a few games ... yes, I'm a Bruins fan and I'm saying that. Almost feel it's being done to get their league talked about. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

This all said, criminal charges? C'mon, ridiculous.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    jimed14 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    I also think that Bruins fans must have short memories if they think they are the only ones who are victims of unfortunate plays.

This is my direct quote after the Chara hit ... it was in a thread where Canadien fans were talking about press charges on Chara ... that's right, Canadien fans wanted to press charges.

But more importantly, you will find zero duplicity on my part about hits like this.
    jimed14 wrote:
    People need to chill out. There is nothing you can do to control this ... unless you want to stop watching, stop going to games, etc ... which you're not going to do.

The league is fucking daft for not suspending Chara for a few games ... yes, I'm a Bruins fan and I'm saying that. Almost feel it's being done to get their league talked about. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

I think we're all in agreement.....that stupid plays happen by every team and its unfortunate all around, especially those which severely injure a player.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:

karma's a bitch sometimes eh
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

imo he was admiring his pass...he got rocked...not the only guy in this league that got rocked by an illegal hit...hockey has always had illegal hits, always will...the difference in todays game than 15-20 or more years ago is that these guys are faster, stronger, bigger and the shoulder pads are rock hard. So if any of you guys can figure out how to make the players like they were 15 or 20 years ago then maybe we'll have less season ending hits. Maybe the league should focus some of it's attention on the equipment, maybe try to find better helmuts, shoulder pads that still protect but offer give.

Don Cherry had the shoulder pads on an episode of coach's corner...I wouldn't want to get hit in the hit with one, there pretty solid.

The boards in these new arenas offer know give either...not factor in Horton.

Utill the league looks at all the factors contributing to head injuries, you better keep your head on a swival.

jimed14 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

jimed14 wrote:

The bruin fans I know were gloating...and I'll give you credit for that statement...but that goes with the inconsistancy in the league that drives fans nuts, Rome a bit player gets 4 games...probably only worth 2.

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

funny you mention that...I had a habs fan say the same thing to me.

lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i thought of the hit on the habs player right away. also the only reason why it's an illegal hit is cause the sport of hockey has become pussified just like football.

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    "metsfan wrote:

i thought of the hit on the habs player right away. also the only reason why it's an illegal hit is cause the sport of hockey has become pussified just like football.
    [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

I agree with you 100% on both sports...

lukin2006 wrote:

it's an open ice hit. the same hit thats been around since the birth of hockey. makes me sick to see hockey become pussified a sport.

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    bf63faaa-1.jpg

57c8eb9f.jpg

3cdb2d67-1.jpg

f59c33ef-1.jpg

:ugeek:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    jimed14 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

jimed14 wrote:
    Imagine the outcry if this had been reversed and Boychuck had laid out one of the Sedin's. Canada would be going crazy. To prevent the Chara play just remove the turnbuckle at center ice.

If it had been one of the Sedin's who had been hit like that by Jonhny Boychuck. I am sure Canucks fans and most of Canada would be in an uproar. Probably launching a criminal investigation :lol: . To prevent hits like the Chara hit remove the turnbuckle at center ice and that never happens. In this instance the league probably felt like they had to get control of the series. Especially after blowing the Burrows non suspension which really escalated mostly due to the Canucks. Game 4 is going to be fun but every game is different.

I don't repect the way the Canucks play the game. The flyers are an intense team with players I hate but I have much more respect for the way they play. None of the diving and flailing around like you just got shot to try to draw penalties.
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

it's an open ice hit. the same hit thats been around since the birth of hockey. makes me sick to see hockey become pussified a sport.

the hit was late ... this isn't roller derby ... a guy has to have a chance to protect himself or avoid the hit ... no one wants to take out the physicality of the game but hits like that don't make the game any better all they will do is put more guys on the IR for a lot longer ...

horton was NOT admiring a pass ... he was following the play ... like ... what the cuss is there to admire in the first place ... what was remotely special about the pass that warrants admiration?? ...

did rome intend to injure? ... i doubt it but he did lift into horton (in order to gain added leverage) ...

4 games is definitely inconsistent and i think a bit harsh ... maybe the league was making up for not suspending burrows ... i dunno ...

at the end of the day tho - he could be suspended 1 or 2 games and it wouldn't ultimately matter to the bruins ... they lost arguably their best player in the playoffs ... rome is replaceable ... horton not so much ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

the hit was late ... this isn't roller derby ... a guy has to have a chance to protect himself or avoid the hit ... no one wants to take out the physicality of the game but hits like that don't make the game any better all they will do is put more guys on the IR for a lot longer ...

horton was NOT admiring a pass ... he was following the play ... like ... what the cuss is there to admire in the first place ... what was remotely special about the pass that warrants admiration?? ...

did rome intend to injure? ... i doubt it but he did lift into horton (in order to gain added leverage) ...

4 games is definitely inconsistent and i think a bit harsh ... maybe the league was making up for not suspending burrows ... i dunno ...

at the end of the day tho - he could be suspended 1 or 2 games and it wouldn't ultimately matter to the bruins ... they lost arguably their best player in the playoffs ... rome is replaceable ... horton not so much ...

Agree 100%
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

They might be becoming pussified, but it's hard to ignore all of the tramatic brain injuries and the serious consequences that happen to players in both sports. Just read about NFL hall of famer Mike Webster's life and death... head injuries are a scary scary thing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

They might be becoming pussified, but it's hard to ignore all of the tramatic brain injuries and the serious consequences that happen to players in both sports. Just read about NFL hall of famer Mike Webster's life and death... head injuries are a scary scary thing.

It is hard to ignore...but in both sports the players are getting bigger, faster and stronger. The leagues now need to a look at the equipment and the rinks. Don Cherry has talked about both the equipment and the boards on his show. He had those shoulder pads on an episode...rock hard....I wouldn't want to get hit with those. The boards in these new rinks have no give...why is the NHL not investing money in researching better equipment for the players that protects players and is also less likely to injure, they can't come up with boards that have more give...as far as I'm concerned it all comes down to money.

The league is full of shit when they talk of player safety...why have the not put in place automatic icing, 2 guys racing for a puck behind the net can be 1 of the most dangerous things in hockey.

polaris_x wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

The only thing the NHL said was illegal about that hit was he was a split second 2 late...Rome has no history of this sort of thing...1 game would have been sufficient...in my opinion it's win-win Vancouver...they insert Ballard who I like better anyways, but for some reason is in the coach's dog house.

The NHL has no consistency at all...this is what drives general managers and coach's and fans crazy.

lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

It is hard to ignore...but in both sports the players are getting bigger, faster and stronger. The leagues now need to a look at the equipment and the rinks. Don Cherry has talked about both the equipment and the boards on his show. He had those shoulder pads on an episode...rock hard....I wouldn't want to get hit with those. The boards in these new rinks have no give...why is the NHL not investing money in researching better equipment for the players that protects players and is also less likely to injure, they can't come up with boards that have more give...as far as I'm concerned it all comes down to money.

The league is full of shit when they talk of player safety...why have the not put in place automatic icing, 2 guys racing for a puck behind the net can be 1 of the most dangerous things in hockey.

Equipment really needs looked at... shoulder pads and elbow pads are dangerously hard.

But this is one unintended consequence of the post lockout rules. I'd never want to go back to watching late 90's hockey where you were allowed to do just about anything to a player, but this fast open game (and bigger, better skaters) has brought us faster, harder collisions.

Automatic icing (or better yet, the hybrid icing) should be a no brainer, but I really don't know what else can be done without drastically altering the game.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The NHL has no consistency at all...this is what drives general managers and coach's and fans crazy.
    This is one of the reasons that Shanahan is taking over for Campbell next year. They do need to get better and more consistent as up to this point, league discipline has been a crapshoot.

Of course, had Horton been able to bounce back up, it probably would have been a 2 or 5 minute penalty and the NHL would not have reviewed the case. The hard, late hit, combined with Horton's head smacking the ice and scrambling his brains warranted a stiffer penalty in my opinion. Sort of like the punishment doled out when you drive over a mailbox vs. a 10 year old kid when being just over the legal limit.

At least with this suspension, the NHL outlined their logic.