NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Is it me or does it look like these might be some of the best playoff match-ups we have seen in a while?

Look at the East. No one in the East is so dominate...I can see Tampa, NY, or Buffalo (with Miller back) taking the East. Boston isn't going to make it past the first round...Flyers are sinking quickly...and the Caps ALWAYS choke. Look at what Pitt has been able to do with no Crosby or Malkin...they could become the #2 seed!

In the west...we have the defending champions sitting in 8th with a potential first round matchup against Vancouver :o All those matchups are going to be G-R-E-A-T.

As for the NY Rangers...they will be one of the toughest teams to beat in a 7 game series. Not just saying cause I'm a huge fan but they grind every single second of every game out. They have a man in between the pipes who can win games alone. They rank second in block shots with their great defense (wouldn't have said that 5 years ago)They have beaten the Caps 3/4 this year (including a 7-0 game), they have beaten Philly their last 2 meetings (also including a 7-0 game), they beat the Pens 7-0 this year, they just beat Boston twice in a week including an epic comeback down 3 goals. LETS GO RANGERS.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    should be interesting
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • No Callahan - no chance.

Cups coming back to Canada this year and I don't mean to Montreal.
  • No Callahan - no chance.

Yeah Cally is a big deal but they played well without him, just means someone else needs to step up.

And yes I think it will be. Vancouver is just too good even with injuries, they also have a man in the pipes that can win games alone, even after everyone said he was washed up last year...he's been epic.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'm praying that Chicago drops out of the playoffs or at least pulls up to 7th, they've had Vancouver's number the last two years.
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    Personally i think the top 4 teams in the east are in another level compared to teams 5-8. I can't see anyone eliminating wash, phil, bos or pitt in the first round. I also think the same in the west with van, det, and SJ going through the first round. The most interesting matchup i see right now is the 4-5 in the west with phoenix and Nashville. That should be a pink slip series with the loser going to Winnipeg.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,387
    I'm dreading a desultory first round defeat for the once-"high flying" Flyers. :evil: Who the hell loses 8 out of 9 home games? :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Is it me or does it look like these might be some of the best playoff match-ups we have seen in a while?

Look at the East. No one in the East is so dominate...I can see Tampa, NY, or Buffalo (with Miller back) taking the East. Boston isn't going to make it past the first round...Flyers are sinking quickly...and the Caps ALWAYS choke. Look at what Pitt has been able to do with no Crosby or Malkin...they could become the #2 seed!

In the west...we have the defending champions sitting in 8th with a potential first round matchup against Vancouver :o All those matchups are going to be G-R-E-A-T.

As for the NY Rangers...they will be one of the toughest teams to beat in a 7 game series. Not just saying cause I'm a huge fan but they grind every single second of every game out. They have a man in between the pipes who can win games alone. They rank second in block shots with their great defense (wouldn't have said that 5 years ago)They have beaten the Caps 3/4 this year (including a 7-0 game), they have beaten Philly their last 2 meetings (also including a 7-0 game), they beat the Pens 7-0 this year, they just beat Boston twice in a week including an epic comeback down 3 goals. LETS GO RANGERS.

Honestly I'm a Pens fan this is really looking to be a great playoff season, the Rangers though are not a team I want the Pens to face, definitely going to be a tough out, especially with an underrated Lundvquist, I hope IF Crosby comes back he's fully healthy, although I wanted him to stay out once it came out how serious his concussion was...either way looking forward to the playoffs..Let's Go Pens
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I can't wait to see the nucks choke again. The sisters will not show up this year, like every other.....I wouldn't want the 'hawks in the first round.
    Assuming the standings don't change, Western seeds one and two are goin down in the first round. If Hiller is 100% before the playoffs start, the Sharks are in trouble too.
  • I still thin Detroit is the team to beat in the West. The Sharks blow it every year, I think the injuries for the Canucks will cost them in the playoffs
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    No Callahan - no chance.

What are you talking about?? Detroit is located in the USA, not Canada, even if it is north of Windsor.
  • Jason P wrote:
    No Callahan - no chance.

What are you talking about?? Detroit is located in the USA, not Canada, even if it is north of Windsor.

The only chance Detroit has of winning the cup is if Terry Sawchuck comes out of retirement.
    The only chance Detroit has of winning the cup is if Terry Sawchuck comes out of retirement.
    As long as Detroit's resident wizard is healthy, they will always have a chance.
  • Jason P wrote:
    As long as Detroit's resident wizard is healthy, they will always have a chance.

I sure hope you're not talking about Howard the Duck because he's a sieve, healthy or not.
    Jason P wrote:

I sure hope you're not talking about Howard the Duck because he's a sieve, healthy or not.
    No, I refer to the Datsyukian One

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsBPzNgw9e-62fowMGae8ujhv0PTnhsPAnktGlDb1LbCgTrbs_
  • Heading to the Game 1 of the B's.. whoever they play :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • sparky_fry wrote:
    Personally i think the top 4 teams in the east are in another level compared to teams 5-8. I can't see anyone eliminating wash, phil, bos or pitt in the first round. I also think the same in the west with van, det, and SJ going through the first round. The most interesting matchup i see right now is the 4-5 in the west with phoenix and Nashville. That should be a pink slip series with the loser going to Winnipeg.

I dont know man, the only two teams in the east that have been somewhat dominating are the Caps and Flyers and BOTH have ZERO goaltending. The Bruins will lose in the first round especially if its a good ol Montreal/Boston series. The Flyers and the Caps are going to have a tough time against the Rangers whether its Round 1 or Round 2. I go to school in DC and Caps fans around here do not want to face the Rangers at all, they would prefer Montreal if that could happen.

BY THE WAY...I know LA just got wrecked by the Sharks, but what about the Kings?? That team is going to be great for years to come.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Go Carolina tonight :D:D:D
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    it should be awesome. It usually is though.

the thing with the cap is... it seems that the teams who have to claw and fight their way into the playoffs are always coming in hotter and already in playoff mode. You see a lot of top seeds eliminated in Round 1. The playoff teams are relatively even matched. Any edge makes all the difference
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MayDay10 wrote:
    it should be awesome. It usually is though.

the thing with the cap is... it seems that the teams who have to claw and fight their way into the playoffs are always coming in hotter and already in playoff mode. You see a lot of top seeds eliminated in Round 1. The playoff teams are relatively even matched. Any edge makes all the difference

I don't think this is a new thing. Hockey playoffs always seem to have upsets in playoffs.

They start Wednesday or Thursday?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    they start Wednesday
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    I'm glad they don't start until Wednesday. I could use a hockey vacation for a few days so I can get my mind straight.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    at least 2 more trips to MSG!!! :);)

gonna be alot of upsets...

rangers and buffalo will advance

tampa and bruins also
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    was lookingat the playoff ticketts...the rangers send all 4 rounds at once

stanley cup final tickets were in my hand today :mrgreen:
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Man, the West is crazy. No idea who the 'Nucks will be playing until the last moment. At least we've got home advantage throughout the playoffs. Hoping we make it all the way to the final match.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Let's go Red Wings! They are going to need to stop with their shit performances on home ice though. Franzen just went through a huge scoring drought, so he is due for like 11 goals in the first round now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Phoenix, LA, or even the Ducks. I guess I should stock up on 5 hour energy or something. I'm going to be in for a lot of late night games.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • was lookingat the playoff ticketts...the rangers send all 4 rounds at once

my reaction isn't a big green smiley face when i blow money to see a game that won't come close to happening. :roll: :lol:

MFCarissa wrote:
    Let's go Red Wings! They are going to need to stop with their shit performances on home ice though. Franzen just went through a huge scoring drought, so he is due for like 11 goals in the first round now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Phoenix, LA, or even the Ducks. I guess I should stock up on 5 hour energy or something. I'm going to be in for a lot of late night games.

ah yes the old west coast games.... :mrgreen:
    was lookingat the playoff ticketts...the rangers send all 4 rounds at once

my reaction isn't a big green smiley face when i blow money to see a game that won't come close to happening. :roll: :lol:

actually wise guy....we pay round by round :lol: duhhhhhhh

they just SEND them all at once

next time ask first
  • was lookingat the playoff ticketts...the rangers send all 4 rounds at once

actually wise guy....we pay round by round :lol: duhhhhhhh

they just SEND them all at once

next time ask first
    oh well have fun at the 2 games left at the garden! :D

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Well, looking at the games tomorrow and the current standings, it appears the only thing that can change in the West is 8th seed. So my team will be playing Phoenix in round 1. I'm pretty happy about that. Slightly earlier games and an opponent the Wings beat in the first round last year.

Also, Datsyuk and Zetterberg have tremendous sex against the Phoenix Coyotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_SrpIVYX6w :lol:
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.