NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    MFCarissa wrote:
    fife wrote:
    I can see them trading Sharp and Turco will be gone also. they will have to bring up a back-up from the farm.

According to Cap Geek, 11 players to sign (6 who are RFAs) with about 8,400,000 in cap space. Crawford is an RFA, and Turco's contract is up (I think his career is over). Frolik is also an RFA. Sharp was probably their best player this season at a reasonable $3.9 million, so if I was GM, I wouldn't trade him, but I also wouldn't have re-signed Seabrook for $5.8 million.

Yeah, I don't see the Hawks trading Sharp. He was easily our best and most consistent player this season. That Seabrook contract was a real head-scratcher. While he's a very good D-man, we already have so many guys with huge cap hits. Should be another interesting off season for the Hawks.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    edited April 2011
    Our GM, Mike Gillis, weighs in on the way the series has been called thus far. He touches on all the non-calls last night too.
    Pretty interesting and gutsy on his part.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... &id=111197
    Post edited by restlesssoul on
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    Our GM, Mike Gillis, weighs in on the way the series has been called thus far.

Good move on his part to put the attention on himself and take it off of his players who are pissing away this series.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276

I still believe.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i'm sorry but that was not a elbow on malone. talbot had his down with the puck. wtf does the nhl want players to do, not hit a guy with the puck. i'm all for protecting players but let em play the game. my god these new rules make it seem like the 90's style of play has been dead for years.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

fife wrote:
    While the wings are not my favorite team, i still believe they are the best run team in the NHL. to be able to be that good for so long is just incredible.
    run by Jimmy Devellano who was a scout for the isles before becoming gm way back when
    fife wrote:

every time i hear milbury talk bad about a player i am just reminded how bad he was as a GM and realize that i would have more to worry about if he liked one of my players. one of the worst GM ever.
    try having had him as your gm/coach and see all the talent that would brought cup #5 to long island be traded away for nobodies.

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Our GM, Mike Gillis, weighs in on the way the series has been called thus far. He touches on all the non-calls last night too.

I'm rooting for the Canucks in this series, but somebody call the waaaaambulance. All the calls in the world wouldn't have helped them in games 4 and 5. I understand that coaches go to the media about reffing as strategy, but when your team is up 3 games to none, you should be able to overcome any calls or non-calls to close out the series.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    THE TAMPA BAY FIGHTIN' YZERMANS!!!!!!
    Heisenberg wrote:

I don't really get the Detroit hard on for the Lightning. Rick Dudley and Craig Ramsey are the GM and Head Coach for the Atlanta Thrashers, and I don't particularly root for their success anymore than other non-sabre teams just because two very respected former Sabres run the organization.

I'd love to learn, though.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

I don't really get the Detroit hard on for the Lightning. Rick Dudley and Craig Ramsey are the GM and Head Coach for the Atlanta Thrashers, and I don't particularly root for their success anymore than other non-sabre teams just because two very respected former Sabres run the organization.

I think with Yzerman...he was one of the top 2 players to ever play in Detroit...and definitely one of the most popular...people have to remember he inherited some decent talent and for him to take the job I'm sure the owner increased the budget they were spending on salary.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Big Drop wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

I kinda have a soft spot for the Bolts anyway because I covered them for 3 years, but beyond that Stevie is my guy and I would pull for him to do well even if he's just managing a Tim Horton's on the outskirts of Hockeytown.
    metsfan wrote:
    fife wrote:
    While the wings are not my favorite team, i still believe they are the best run team in the NHL. to be able to be that good for so long is just incredible.
    run by Jimmy Devellano who was a scout for the isles before becoming gm way back when
    fife wrote:

every time i hear milbury talk bad about a player i am just reminded how bad he was as a GM and realize that i would have more to worry about if he liked one of my players. one of the worst GM ever.
    try having had him as your gm/coach and see all the talent that would brought cup #5 to long island be traded away for nobodies.

You calling Yashin a nobody :? :?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:

only good thing yashin did was bring carole alt to the season ticket holder autograph signing day

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

only good thing yashin did was bring carole alt to the season ticket holder autograph signing day
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heisenberg wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:

I kinda have a soft spot for the Bolts anyway because I covered them for 3 years, but beyond that Stevie is my guy and I would pull for him to do well even if he's just managing a Tim Horton's on the outskirts of Hockeytown.

Please expound upon covered. Are you a sports reporter. . . because that is awesome!
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

only reason why i went to his section for his autograph. i was 14 at the time, what would you expect. :lol::lol:

Please expound upon covered. Are you a sports reporter. . . because that is awesome!

I worked as a Videographer/Editor for Sunshine Network in Florida for a few years, the last of which was when the Bolts won the cup
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Him.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Heisenberg wrote:

I worked as a Videographer/Editor for Sunshine Network in Florida for a few years, the last of which was when the Bolts won the cup

What an awesome gig! I would love to work for a sports media outlet, no matter what team they covered!

Correction: No matter what hockey team they covered.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

It's funny you're talking the Islanders today...I was just reminiscing with the wife about some of the old time hockey players...one of them that came up was Mike Bossy...what hands the puck didn't stay on his stick to long before it was in the back of the net, to this day best pure goal scorer I've ever seen, if he didn't get injured he could have scored 900 goals, another Battling Billy talk about big game goaltender, another one Dennis Potvin..I miss old time hockey...now the NHL is watered down and some of these players should be in the minors.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I miss old time hockey...now the NHL is watered down and some of these players should be in the minors.
    every player on every 4th line is a minor leaguer. i wish they'd do away with having goons and roll out 4 true lines. i really don't wanna see a guy like boogar or gillies or anyother goon get a useless 4 minutes a night. least the 4th liners in the old time days could actually play.

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I miss old time hockey...now the NHL is watered down and some of these players should be in the minors.
    every player on every 4th line is a minor leaguer. i wish they'd do away with having goons and roll out 4 true lines. i really don't wanna see a guy like boogar or gillies or anyother goon get a useless 4 minutes a night. least the 4th liners in the old time days could actually play.

Salary cap.

Funny how third line defencemen aren't goons, just fourth line forwards. It is what it is, i guess.
    Big Drop wrote:

Salary cap.

Funny how third line defencemen aren't goons, just fourth line forwards. It is what it is, i guess.
    and thusly why i dislike it but can see why it's good for the game

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I've had a soft spot for the Lightning since their Cup run, so I was happy that Yzerman went to work for them. I was a big fan of St. Louis and Khabibulin in particular. It still blows my mind that St. Louis went undrafted. I also refer to them as the "Tampa Bay Yzermans" sometimes. :lol:

And you have to love 41 year-old Dwayne Roloson kicking ass in net. He's got an awesome mask inspired by the Thor, the Norse god of thunder and lightning.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Big Drop wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Salary cap.

Red Wings have 4 solid lines..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

The league needs to shrink to 24-26 teams...they have an opportunity to start now with Phoenix..imo

lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

The league needs to shrink to 24-26 teams...they have an opportunity to start now with Phoenix..imo

You can pray before you go to bed at night, but it will never happen. The best we can do is hope that the league is done expanding. I don't think it will ever shrink.
    lukin2006 wrote:

dumbest thing buttman did was expand into southern us. take away those southern teams and you got a better product.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    MFCarissa wrote:
    fife wrote:
    I can see them trading Sharp and Turco will be gone also. they will have to bring up a back-up from the farm.

According to Cap Geek, 11 players to sign (6 who are RFAs) with about 8,400,000 in cap space. Crawford is an RFA, and Turco's contract is up (I think his career is over). Frolik is also an RFA. Sharp was probably their best player this season at a reasonable $3.9 million, so if I was GM, I wouldn't trade him, but I also wouldn't have re-signed Seabrook for $5.8 million.

Yeah, I don't see the Hawks trading Sharp. He was easily our best and most consistent player this season. That Seabrook contract was a real head-scratcher. While he's a very good D-man, we already have so many guys with huge cap hits. Should be another interesting off season for the Hawks.

what you have to look at is who right now can the blackhawks get some decent draft picks and maybe a prospect for. The answer is Sharp. the only other option is that someone puts in offer sheet for some of your RFA and you get some picks. I dont see that happenning but i could be wrong. as you said, Sharp was a top player for you all season and will get you something in return.

the worst thing that can happen to the hawks is them beating Vancouver cause if that happens you will have to pay Crawford some cash in the off season. your not going to be able to trade seabrook, kane and toews so you have to look at who you can trade. the other side is that you dont trade anyone and start the rebuilding again in a really tough western conference