NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:
    I thought the Flyers game was really good and entertaining but i was upset about the refs in that game. I think they called some bullshit calls and missed some easy calls. I believe that Richards hit was really bad and he deserve to be kicked out of the game (which is hard for me to say since i am a Flyers fan) also, i believe that Myers should have gotten a penalty for punching Pronger. I sometimes wish that the refs would make up their mind. if your going to be strict than be strict but don't pick which calls to make. the Flyers are still my pick to come out of the East but they need to play better and can't always go down early in the games.

hockey is the toughest game to ref .. game moves so fast and everyone is trying to get every advantage possible ... i mean, they basically allow cross-checking if you stand in front of the net ... personally, i thought the richards hit was borderline ... and based on the rules, it was not a major penalty ... you gotta remember players will exaggerate this stuff to get the calls ... thing is if they called every little thing - it would be disastrous ... it's a tough job ...

i just think the refs don't want to decide the games ... and in the games i watched, there have been some bad calls for sure but they aren't one-sided ...

I agree that it is a hard job but completely missing calls when you have 2 refs on the ice is not good. just yesterday when philly had the 5-3 in the second and all of a sudden its a 5-3 for the sabres on very questionable calls is wrong and could have ended the game. when i first saw the hit by Richards i didn;t think it was that bad but when i saw the review it was really bad as he direct the player to the board. yes i will admit that i have the advantage on a review that the refs don't get. I won't say they have been one-sided but bad calls on both sides of the ice.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    That Richards hit was garbage and it is exactly what the league wants/needs to eliminate. No excuse for that. He decked him from behind, face first into the boards... and it wasnt one of those plays where the guy turns toward the boards at the last second.

But I do understand you nearly have to commit murder to get suspended for a Game 7 in the playoffs.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    That Richards hit was garbage and it is exactly what the league wants/needs to eliminate. No excuse for that. He decked him from behind, face first into the boards... and it wasnt one of those plays where the guy turns toward the boards at the last second.

But I do understand you nearly have to commit murder to get suspended for a Game 7 in the playoffs.
    it really was from behind but i agree with what you have said. I still believe that Richarsd believed that the player was going to go up the ice and if he did the hit would have been clean. Richards has to take the blame. I also believed that the elbow from Myers was also a bad hit and should have been a penalty along with Myers punching Pronger.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    MayDay10 wrote:

Any update on Connolly? For all Lindy lets us know Richards did almost commit murder.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Any update on Connolly? For all Lindy lets us know Richards did almost commit murder.

Ruff said he is out and isnt doing good. There is speculation it is a shoulder injury but who knows.

Derek Roy is coming back though which is very interesting.

Hecht and Sekera also practiced today.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Ruff said he is out and isnt doing good. There is speculation it is a shoulder injury but who knows.

Derek Roy is coming back though which is very interesting.

Hecht and Sekera also practiced today.

The NHL is so full of hot air it's no wonder that no one wants to watch it. I just read that Richards won't even have a hearing for disciplinary action. I think it's real interesting that Ed Snider, chairman for the Flyers, is a member of the NHL competition committee and that he himself implied that he might have some sway over whether Richards will receive further disciplinary action for his hit on Connolly.

The whole situation makes me sick to my stomach, in a very literal sense.
    dont forget that Snider/Comcast just forked over Billions of dollars for the TV rights too.
    The NHL is so full of hot air it's no wonder that no one wants to watch it. I just read that Richards won't even have a hearing for disciplinary action. I think it's real interesting that Ed Snider, chairman for the Flyers, is a member of the NHL competition committee and that he himself implied that he might have some sway over whether Richards will receive further disciplinary action for his hit on Connolly.

The whole situation makes me sick to my stomach, in a very literal sense.[/quote]

Lets be fair, philly does get alot of suspension so i would not put too much stock on Snider being on the committee.
    The smut that gets published along side of something like this almost makes me more sick than the actual hit. I absolutely love the Puck Daddy article here about the hit.Wyshynski says in the article that he thinks the hit is clean and so does some blogger from Buffalo I've never heard of. Apparently in his eyes that's all that's needed to justify Richard's hit. I think it's awful funny coming from a blog where the only posts worth any salt whatsoever are the ones about jersey fouls because the author can be completely devoid of any hockey knowledge and the article can still be funny.

Unlike Puck Daddy, I know the rules for hockey, because I love hockey. If you say Boarding, I'll tell you rule #41. If you say Faceoff infraction, I'll say rule ##76. If you say illegal equipment, I'll say rule #12.

As mad as I am about the Richards hit, I was over it about as soon as it happened, because I forced myself to come to terms with the fact that there would be no repercussions for it. Phantom Pain has already listened to me bitch about it and I don't want to bitch about it in front of any more Flyers fans because they're not the ones who did it and I don't have a problem with any of them.

What angers me is how rule #41 is written to be intentionally ambiguous and how the referees and the rest of the league are too gutless to climb out from behind the protection of the ambiguity of rule #41 and actually make the call that happened.

Rule #41

There is actually leeway written into the rule to blame the fouled player for being boarded. It blows my mind how 90% of the time this is how the referees interpret the rule. I have never seen any NHL player arbitrarily standing away from a play with their head against the glass looking for their mom in the crowd and had another play come and hit them from behind. That's about the only occasion I can see a boarded player being blamed for the hit. What Richards did on Sunday was 100% on his shoulders and once again the league turtled back inside their shell away from the pressure of having to make important decisions.

What irks me further is the complete lack of ambiguity of Rule #43. Rule #43 states that when a player is checked from behind, the player which made an infraction upon the rule is automatically assessed a major and game misconduct and will automatically be suspended for one game if that player has committed the penalty multiple times within the same playoff series. What this dichotomy between rule #41 and #43 does is reward a player for committing a rule #41 penalty even though it is the more dangerous of the two. If Connolly's head didn't smash into the boards, the referees would have had no choice but to call a rule #43 infraction and Richards would have been gone from the game in the second period.

Meanwhile, there are major news outlets publishing articles about how Ruff is whining again, offering nothing but bias slander, and I'm typing all this from my kitchen table.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; how long until we rename the Masterton memorial trophy because someone else dies out on the ice? At this rate, it can't be very far away.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,395
    fife wrote:
    Lets be fair, philly does get alot of suspension so i would not put too much stock on Snider being on the committee.

He's (she?) right. Snider is on the committee. He said he it wasn't the type of hit they were cracking down on. They're looking at head shots and more intentional and that Richards was more of an accidental thing. I'm just the messenger - the hit was pretty nasty. Probably a 5-min penalty would be justified but I don't know about a suspension. I'll go watch it again.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    MayDay10 wrote:
    dont forget that Snider/Comcast just forked over Billions of dollars for the TV rights too.

Snider actually had the audacity to imply that he would have some sort of leverage in Richards not being suspended. I can't help but repeat myself on that one. If the NHL were a person, I believe the word we would call them when we talked in the locker room is whore. The NHL is in bed with way too many people that do not have the sports best interest in mind.
    Bump.
    Big Drop wrote:
    4 games to win. I don't even think about celebrating until 5 minutes after the 4th win. I've seen too much happen in my life. After all, I've seen Philly beat us in a series because a goal that went through the side of the net counted.

I'm really curious what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure the last 3 times the Flyers beat the Sabres (1995, 1997, 2000) were in 5 convincing games. So it would be hard to blame a whole series on one goal when your team only won 1 game anyway. :?

Anything? I just want to know, because I thought all 3 of those series were pretty sound victories.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Snider actually had the audacity to imply that he would have some sort of leverage in Richards not being suspended. I can't help but repeat myself on that one. If the NHL were a person, I believe the word we would call them when we talked in the locker room is whore. The NHL is in bed with way too many people that do not have the sports best interest in mind.

I'll tell you straight out that Snider doesn't give a shit about the NHL's interests. His two interests are: 1- Making Money, and 2- Flyers winning the Stanley Cup. He's good at the first one at least.

Bump.
    Big Drop wrote:
    4 games to win. I don't even think about celebrating until 5 minutes after the 4th win. I've seen too much happen in my life. After all, I've seen Philly beat us in a series because a goal that went through the side of the net counted.

I'm really curious what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure the last 3 times the Flyers beat the Sabres (1995, 1997, 2000) were in 5 convincing games. So it would be hard to blame a whole series on one goal when your team only won 1 game anyway. :?

Anything? I just want to know, because I thought all 3 of those series were pretty sound victories.

The goal went through the side of the net and that's pretty well documented. I'm no prognosticator and I can't tell you if Buffalo would have turned it around had the goal not been counted. I guess saying Philly beat us because of the goal was a little brash.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I get why people on jumping on Luongo but what about the twins...how many times in that overtime did they come into the Chicago zone trying to make all the moves and the perfect pass...look at Chicago, they were just putting the puck to the net and going in after it. Chicago is playing playoff hockey...Vancouver is not.

Who else were we to use in goal in the Olympics? At 1 time goaltending was a strong point for Canada, not so much anymore...but I do see that starting to emerge again with Price and Fleury but they are no where near as good as Roy and Brodeur.

I agree that the twins are not playing well either but i don't think you can say that they are the reason that Vancouver is losing. the twins have always played that way. the reason the black hawks are throwing every thing at the net is because Lou is not playing well. he is being outplayed by Crawford who is a rookie.

as for the goalie situation in Canada, i actually think that we are getting better. I really like cam Ward, i really like price and also Fleury but your right they are not a Roy or Brodeur but they are 2 of the best goalies of all time and not easily replaced.

How many cups have the Vancouver won with the twins? They need to be grittier...especially in game 7 , look at Chicago, their superstars, Toews, Kane, Sharp are just far grittier, they'll go to the front of the net looking for those cheap goals, Chicago knows how to get it done, Vancouver has had enough time to figure out how to get it done.

I want the Canucks to win and I still think they can win, they just need to a lot more grittier and it don't matter who it is but somebody has to step up in game 7...maybe it will be LU.

We'll see in the 3 years how the goaltending situation is...yeah I forgot about Ward, as for the Olympics, it may not happen anyways...my only real problem with the selection of the olympic team is I'd rather see them go with youth oriented teams and leave the old timers home...how much better would our next olympic team be with an experienced Stamkos (and he was very worthy the last time) and Mike Green 9 (also very worthy and we could have used him on PP). I know people might not like to hear this but I thought Burke and Wilson did a better job building the team, and I thought Wilson was the better coach and the US might be the favourites in 3 years.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I know people might not like to hear this but I thought Burke and Wilson did a better job building the team, and I thought Wilson was the better coach and the US might be the favourites in 3 years.
    i can't see the US ever being favorites in 3 years time. team canada is gonna be loaded the next 3 olympics or so.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ok ... i've watched that richards hit a few times now and my opinion is that it was a hockey play ... i don't think there was an intent to injure - just simply hit the guy to get the puck ... you can see him looking for the puck the whole time ... now, don't get me wrong - it's a penalty ... i just don't think it was dirty ...

hockey is a rough sport and they do need to do a better job of protecting players ... but these guys are faster and stronger now ... look at crosby ... arguably the league's best player hasn't played in months and i don't think any of the hits he took to get concussed were called penalties ...
    Big Drop wrote:
    The goal went through the side of the net and that's pretty well documented. I'm no prognosticator and I can't tell you if Buffalo would have turned it around had the goal not been counted. I guess saying Philly beat us because of the goal was a little brash.

Funny, I had no idea when that happened. Googled and found it was 2000. Flyers won the series in 5, with Buffalo's only victory coming in OT in Game 4. That is domination.

The phantom goal came in Game 2, a 2-1 Flyers' victory. Considering the Sabres scored 8 goals in a 5 game series, it's a safe bet the Flyers would've come up with another goal to win that game before Buffalo got around to scoring. Sorry, it's not worth whining about this. Phila was just better that year.

Whining about Richards' hit is another story and Ed Snider being on the suspension committee is another story.

So, I found this Orange Boycott thing in my googling - I enjoyed it! :lol:

Flyers are one of 2 teams to defeat the Sabres in the Stanley Cup Finals, and I'm pretty sure they cheated. :? :o Now there's some solid journalism...
    http://wnymedia.net/nickmendola-2/2011/04/orange-boycott-sabres-draw-flyers/

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    lukin2006 wrote:
    We'll see in the 3 years how the goaltending situation is...yeah I forgot about Ward, as for the Olympics, it may not happen anyways...my only real problem with the selection of the olympic team is I'd rather see them go with youth oriented teams and leave the old timers home...how much better would our next olympic team be with an experienced Stamkos (and he was very worthy the last time) and Mike Green 9 (also very worthy and we could have used him on PP). I know people might not like to hear this but I thought Burke and Wilson did a better job building the team, and I thought Wilson was the better coach and the US might be the favourites in 3 years.

I can definitely see why Mike Green was passed on last Olympics. He hasn't been committed to playing actual defense until this season. He used to basically be a 4th forward (and why would Team Canada need a D-man like that on a team stacked with forwards?), this year he has been making sacrifices and blocking shots. He was pretty brutal in the playoffs in the past too.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    Big Drop wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

or the players interest
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I can definitely see why Mike Green was passed on last Olympics. He hasn't been committed to playing actual defense until this season. He used to basically be a 4th forward (and why would Team Canada need a D-man like that on a team stacked with forwards?), this year he has been making sacrifices and blocking shots. He was pretty brutal in the playoffs in the past too.

because one of the things needing improvement from Turin was the PP and he's was one of the to PP guys in the league. Their are always guy that get a lot less minutes, he could have been one of those guys. Remember we brought along Joe Thorton ;).

lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

because one of the things needing improvement from Turin was the PP and he's was one of the to PP guys in the league. Their are always guy that get a lot less minutes, he could have been one of those guys. Remember we brought along Joe Thorton ;).

Yeah, but on the Caps, Green's on the PP with a bunch of Russians and a Swede. The one thing I didn't understand was the St. Louis snub. And the Sharks line was a good idea in theory, but that particular line has made a habit of dropping their production in big games. I remember Pierre McGuire said during the Olympics, "This Sharks line is showing great chemistry early!" Oh really, Pierre. I wonder why that might be. :roll:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I know people might not like to hear this but I thought Burke and Wilson did a better job building the team, and I thought Wilson was the better coach and the US might be the favourites in 3 years.
    i can't see the US ever being favorites in 3 years time. team canada is gonna be loaded the next 3 olympics or so.

I believe if you take a look at your roster you'll see that they'll have a good team...we had holes on our olympic team, goaltending and our inability to come together as team, we need to come together quicker, and if we add Jumbo Joe thats a big hole ;).

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:

I believe if you take a look at your roster you'll see that they'll have a good team...we had holes on our olympic team, goaltending and our inability to come together as team, we need to come together quicker, and if we add Jumbo Joe thats a big hole ;).
    i was looking at it more so of stamkos, JT, taylor hall and 1 or 2 other canadian youngsters being primmed for the olympics.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

edited April 2011
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

Yeah, but on the Caps, Green's on the PP with a bunch of Russians and a Swede. The one thing I didn't understand was the St. Louis snub. And the Sharks line was a good idea in theory, but that particular line has made a habit of dropping their production in big games. I remember Pierre McGuire said during the Olympics, "This Sharks line is showing great chemistry early!" Oh really, Pierre. I wonder why that might be. :roll:

What's him playing with Russian and Swedes have anything to do with it? Where were they on the day of gold medal game? Green had 70+ points +39 that year and has been nominated for 2 norris trophy's...not bad for a 25 year old. St louis comes down to size I'm guessing. We like our forwards big and physical...some of the old school guys at hockey Canada probably still want ours teams to hit and hit and hit some more to wear the opponent out.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i was looking at it more so of stamkos, JT, taylor hall and 1 or 2 other canadian youngsters being primmed for the olympics.

I see it from that perspective. I just don't assume that Hall some of the other young guns will be there. They left Crosby off in 2006, Stamkos and Green this past Olympics. I really like the idea of adding younger guys. If Crosby was there in 06 he would have been that much better in'10 if Stamkos and Green were there '10 they'd be even better in '14. The 1 area I think the US has an advantage is Wilson and Burke...the US played like a team from the get go and you were only 1 shot away from winning it. 2 players to look out for in '14 for you guys is Carlson and Fowler.

• EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Go Pens tonight! Finish off the Bolts!
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    polaris_x wrote:
    ok ... i've watched that richards hit a few times now and my opinion is that it was a hockey play ... i don't think there was an intent to injure - just simply hit the guy to get the puck ... you can see him looking for the puck the whole time ... now, don't get me wrong - it's a penalty ... i just don't think it was dirty ...

hockey is a rough sport and they do need to do a better job of protecting players ... but these guys are faster and stronger now ... look at crosby ... arguably the league's best player hasn't played in months and i don't think any of the hits he took to get concussed were called penalties ...

I agree...you are right Crosby's hits were not called penalties. Pittsburgh should be an example to the league and all sports teams...he's been travelling with the team now, practicing and working several hours a day with personal trainer...so my guess is he can play...but I'm thinking they will not use him unless absolutely necessary.

So for them to hold him back this long and he may not play this year shows me that they are taking this concussion very serious and good for them.

On a side note, the Pittsburgh coach should win coach of the year hands down, without Malkin and Crosby they came within a whisker of winning the eastern conference.

lukin2006 wrote:
    What's him playing with Russian and Swedes have anything to do with it? Where were they on the day of gold medal game? Green had 70+ points +39 that year and has been nominated for 2 norris trophy's...not bad for a 25 year old. St louis comes down to size I'm. We like our forwards big and physical...some of the old school guys at hockey Canada probably still want ours teams to hit and hit and hit some more to wear the opponent out.

Because a lot of his point production had to do with him playing with Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom, and none of those three were going to be on his side in the gold medal game. I disagreed with both of his Norris nods, and I was glad someone else won those years.

I don't really know why we are analyzing the Olympics over a year after the fact here. But Team USA had no expectations and nothing to lose. And Team Canada was playing on home soil under the scrutiny of the entire country. Anything less than a gold, would have been considered a failure, and they basically had everything to lose. And apparently even winning the gold isn't good enough, since it wasn't done in a convincing enough fashion for your liking. Maybe go a bit easy with the pressure next time, and the team might do better.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    What's him playing with Russian and Swedes have anything to do with it? Where were they on the day of gold medal game? Green had 70+ points +39 that year and has been nominated for 2 norris trophy's...not bad for a 25 year old. St louis comes down to size I'm. We like our forwards big and physical...some of the old school guys at hockey Canada probably still want ours teams to hit and hit and hit some more to wear the opponent out.

Because a lot of his point production had to do with him playing with Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom, and none of those three were going to be on his side in the gold medal game. I disagreed with both of his Norris nods, and I was glad someone else won those years.

I don't really know why we are analyzing the Olympics over a year after the fact here. But Team USA had no expectations and nothing to lose. And Team Canada was playing on home soil under the scrutiny of the entire country. Anything less than a gold, would have been considered a failure, and they basically had everything to lose. And apparently even winning the gold isn't good enough, since it wasn't done in a convincing enough fashion for your liking. Maybe go a bit easy with the pressure next time, and the team might do better.

I just like youth oriented teams...get the younger guys experience...being a Detroit fan youth is a foreign word ;), I more than satisfied...but we Canadians love our hockey...so we talk about any hockey that comes up.