NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I miss old time hockey...now the NHL is watered down and some of these players should be in the minors.
    every player on every 4th line is a minor leaguer. i wish they'd do away with having goons and roll out 4 true lines. i really don't wanna see a guy like boogar or gillies or anyother goon get a useless 4 minutes a night. least the 4th liners in the old time days could actually play.

The league needs to shrink to 24-26 teams...they have an opportunity to start now with Phoenix..imo

dont fool your self, the players wont be happy about that either.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    metsfan wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

Salary cap.

Funny how third line defencemen aren't goons, just fourth line forwards. It is what it is, i guess.
    and thusly why i dislike it but can see why it's good for the game

At first I thought the salary cap was going to be good and the great equalizer...but all it does it put a max that teams can spend, however I think their is a minimum. The cap has closed the gap but their are still far too many teams with low revenue stream. I doubt it will ever have the same effect as the cap has in football and basketball where they generate far more revenue from TV. Under the cap system Phoenix was losing 30+ million per...wow.

But with Donald Fehr the head of the NHLPA is he going to try to get the cap removed?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

The league needs to shrink to 24-26 teams...they have an opportunity to start now with Phoenix..imo

Where did I say the players would be happy...the fans would be though...pre 1990 the NHL rocked, not just in the playoffs but all season.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

Salary cap.

Funny how third line defencemen aren't goons, just fourth line forwards. It is what it is, i guess.

At first I thought the salary cap was going to be good and the great equalizer...but all it does it put a max that teams can spend, however I think their is a minimum. The cap has closed the gap but their are still far too many teams with low revenue stream. I doubt it will ever have the same effect as the cap has in football and basketball where they generate far more revenue from TV. Under the cap system Phoenix was losing 30+ million per...wow.

But with Donald Fehr the head of the NHLPA is he going to try to get the cap removed?

their is a min that you must spend with the cap. The players made sure of that. I dont see Fehr going after the cap, i see him going after the escrow and maybe fighting the term limits of contracts
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I like caps in sports. The nba cap was terrible. Nfl had it right until this year. Nhl might have the best labor situation going right now as mlb is fucked
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

Salary cap.

I don't hate the cap, I guess I just don't really remember how hockey worked before the cap that well.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    dont fool your self, the players wont be happy about that either.[/quote][/quote]

Where did I say the players would be happy...the fans would be though...pre 1990 the NHL rocked, not just in the playoffs but all season.[/quote]

sorry i didnt want to make you feel you said that. sure the fans would be happy but lets be honest if both the nhl and its players saying no then it wont happen
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

their is a min that you must spend with the cap. The players made sure of that. I dont see Fehr going after the cap, i see him going after the escrow and maybe fighting the term limits of contracts

Fehr never excepted 1 in baseball

their is a min that you must spend with the cap. The players made sure of that. I dont see Fehr going after the cap, i see him going after the escrow and maybe fighting the term limits of contracts[/quote][/quote]

Fehr never excepted 1 in baseball[/quote]

i might be wrong and if i am im sorry but did baseball ever have a cap. I dont think so but again i could be wrong
    fife wrote:
    [/quote]

Where did I say the players would be happy...the fans would be though...pre 1990 the NHL rocked, not just in the playoffs but all season.[/quote]

sorry i didnt want to make you feel you said that. sure the fans would be happy but lets be honest if both the nhl and its players saying no then it wont happen[/quote]

It's not up to the players...they don't own the franchise...the NHL owns Phoenix, they can fold Phoenix if they choose...the players probably aren't happy about the prospects of moving to Winnipeg either...that's just to bad, hockey doesn't work in the southern states and I'm skeptical that it'll work in Winnipeg. It would have worked with Jim Basille...he's loaded...that would have been an expensive toy for him.

fife wrote:
    [/quote]

i might be wrong and if i am im sorry but did baseball ever have a cap. I dont think so but again i could be wrong[/quote]

No it never had a cap but the owners wanted 1.

It's not up to the players...they don't own the franchise...the NHL owns Phoenix, they can fold Phoenix if they choose...the players probably aren't happy about the prospects of moving to Winnipeg either...that's just to bad, hockey doesn't work in the southern states and I'm skeptical that it'll work in Winnipeg. It would have worked with Jim Basille...he's loaded...that would have been an expensive toy for him.[/quote]

it might not be up to the players but what is up to them is where they decide to play. just look at the oilers. many great players didnt want to play there and that can happen in the peg.

i actually think it can work in the peg as from what i have heard one part of the team trying to get phoenix are the thompson who are the riches people in canada. they can bring in the coporate sponsorship needed. the issue in the past with the jets was the Canadian $ who at that time was very low but things have improved.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    fife wrote:

i might be wrong and if i am im sorry but did baseball ever have a cap. I dont think so but again i could be wrong[/quote]

No it never had a cap but the owners wanted 1.[/quote]

its much harder to fight a cap when there is one already as compared to when there isnt one. i might be wrong but i dont see him fighting against the cap i do see him fighting the term limits that the NHL will want at the next neg.
    fife wrote:
    It's not up to the players...they don't own the franchise...the NHL owns Phoenix, they can fold Phoenix if they choose...the players probably aren't happy about the prospects of moving to Winnipeg either...that's just to bad, hockey doesn't work in the southern states and I'm skeptical that it'll work in Winnipeg. It would have worked with Jim Basille...he's loaded...that would have been an expensive toy for him.

it might not be up to the players but what is up to them is where they decide to play. just look at the oilers. many great players didnt want to play there and that can happen in the peg.

i actually think it can work in the peg as from what i have heard one part of the team trying to get phoenix are the thompson who are the riches people in canada. they can bring in the coporate sponsorship needed. the issue in the past with the jets was the Canadian $ who at that time was very low but things have improved.[/quote]

If I was Winnipeg I wouldn't expect a team just yet. I still think Phoenix stays in the states...they have a brand new rink in Kansas City...Bettman does not want any more franchise's in Canada and he doesn't care what we think. I would not have a problem with Winnipeg and Quebec as well...but Bettman and the US owners are the problem...they became greedy with all this US expansion into non hockey markets...and now that they got this new TV contract I'm even less skeptical of Phoenix leaving, Phoenix is 1 of the largest markets in the States.

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:

If I was Winnipeg I wouldn't expect a team just yet. I still think Phoenix stays in the states...they have a brand new rink in Kansas City...Bettman does not want any more franchise's in Canada and he doesn't care what we think. I would not have a problem with Winnipeg and Quebec as well...but Bettman and the US owners are the problem...they became greedy with all this US expansion into non hockey markets...and now that they got this new TV contract I'm even less skeptical of Phoenix leaving, Phoenix is 1 of the largest markets in the States.
    4,865 people showed up the exhibition game between the LA kings and NY islanders few years back. they expected it to be a sell out. i don't see a team ever in KC after that and it failing once already. seattle is a rumored city to get a franchise. that city would perfect for a hockey team. they are loyal rabid fans in seattle. the seattle sounders(soccer) sellout quest field. when was the last time an american soccer team had home games that sold out?
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

4,865 people showed up the exhibition game between the LA kings and NY islanders few years back. they expected it to be a sell out. i don't see a team ever in KC after that and it failing once already. seattle is a rumored city to get a franchise. that city would perfect for a hockey team. they are loyal rabid fans in seattle. the seattle sounders(soccer) sellout quest field. when was the last time an american soccer team had home games that sold out?

Thats what I mean...Bettman and the US owners will look at every option before this team comes to Winnipeg and Winnipeg and Quebec are rabid hockey fans. When I say Kansas City, whats to say they don't sell the team to this guy and he moves them to KC.

lukin2006 wrote:

Thats what I mean...Bettman and the US owners will look at every option before this team comes to Winnipeg and Winnipeg and Quebec are rabid hockey fans. When I say Kansas City, whats to say they don't sell the team to this guy and he moves them to KC.
    idk to be honest with you. i could see bettman moving the coyotes to Oklahoma city before anywhere else seeing as how he was once an nba guy and the nba franchise in Oklahoma city is doing good.

metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

idk to be honest with you. i could see bettman moving the coyotes to Oklahoma city before anywhere else seeing as how he was once an nba guy and the nba franchise in Oklahoma city is doing good.

I never thought of Oklahoma...why not... :lol::lol::lol:

lukin2006 wrote:

hell why not put a team in Alaska :lol::lol: :roll: :roll:

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

You know. . . 400,000 people live in Anchorage.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    edited April 2011
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

anchorage has an echl team. i was up their back in 09 when they were playing the finals agaist a team from south carolina. they had to take like three day breaks between matches in each city.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Big Drop wrote:

and 400,001 drive thru coffee shops within the city limits.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Big Drop wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

we're giving the nhl ideas. i'm sure someone from nhl HQ is a 10c member and is probably thinking wow this metsfan and big drop are coming up with great ideas. :lol::lol::lol:. i'd laugh hard if the coyotes moved to Oklahoma city.

81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

anchorage has an echl team. i was up their back in 09 when they were playing the finals agaist a team from south carolina. they had to take like three day breaks between matches in each city.
    Alaska aces

you know your a hockey nut when you can name a minor league team a few thousand miles away

was it cold up there :P

edited April 2011
    metsfan wrote:

was it cold up there :P

actually, it was warmer than chicago that week. could not have asked for better weather for that trip.

ran into eyedclar, but we didn't have space, so we couldn't stop and pick him up.

100_0394-1.jpg
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    metsfan wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    [ hell why not put a team in Alaska :lol::lol: :roll: :roll:

we're giving the nhl ideas. i'm sure someone from nhl HQ is a 10c member and is probably thinking wow this metsfan and big drop are coming up with great ideas. :lol::lol::lol:. i'd laugh hard if the coyotes moved to Oklahoma city.

That would funny...and they decided to expand into Alaska.

lukin2006 wrote:

i'm shocked they haven't expanded into Alaska considering they've expanded everywhere else in America :roll:

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    metsfan wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i'm shocked they haven't expanded into Alaska considering they've expanded everywhere else in America :roll:[/quote]

And I thought the west had shitty enough travel schedules.. could you imagine a 7 game series between Detroit and Alaska?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13

And I thought the west had shitty enough travel schedules.. could you imagine a 7 game series between Detroit and Alaska?
    haha nope

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    metsfan wrote:

haha nope
    I think Edmonton has it the worst throughout the year but, why is Detroit in the west again?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13