Options

ILYA KOVALCHUCK STILL A DEVIL!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    rival. wrote:
    yeah... i don't know what they get from Versus, but the exposure of putting the games on ESPN would be worth far than anything they get on the gopher hunting network.

true. but i remember when they were first on OLN post lock out. you had to pay an additional amount on your cable bill just to receive the channel. at least with VS it is included in cable package plans. so it is just as accessible as ESPN.

would love to see them back on ESPN, but outside of the NBA, NFL, MLB, 97% of the ESPN staff is out of their element. it still wouldn't get the coverage it deserves.

I would get more though... Right now, ESPN has no incentive to talk about hockey. If they had a game or two a week (and maybe a few national games on ABC), they would give more attention to it on sportcenter, and maybe even get an NHL Tonight-type show back. They would try to drum up attention to the sport if they have games that they need to worry about getting ratings for. If ABC had the winter classic, ESPN would promo that thing to death...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    brother123 wrote:

ESPN is a joke. I was watching it last year and they said Crosby was an American. Although, it would give hockey a boost and they have decent broadcasts.
    He's is an american... North Amercian... :mrgreen:

Anyway, ESPN would just get them more exposure... I think the finals on NBC were the best ratings since Isles-Philly Game 6 in 1980... so there is interest, it's just getting it out there...

Do you really think that the interest is there. I don't. I think the ratings came from having 2 American teams in the finals who happen to come from good cities. do you think the ratings would have been the same if one team was from Canada or from a non hockey town? i don't. The NHL needs to realize that hockey will never been large in the USA but will be in some cities.
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    brother123 wrote:

ESPN is a joke. I was watching it last year and they said Crosby was an American. Although, it would give hockey a boost and they have decent broadcasts.
    He's is an american... North Amercian... :mrgreen:

Anyway, ESPN would just get them more exposure... I think the finals on NBC were the best ratings since Isles-Philly Game 6 in 1980... so there is interest, it's just getting it out there...

Haha.

I heard that too. If NBC, ESPN covered some games it would garner more support. More people would have access it. I'll never figure out why for the most part don't like hockey, yet a vast majority go for football.

should i re-title this thread? haha
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    fife wrote:
    I know contraction will not happen. but there are other things that can be done other than that. I think TB and the islanders can survive still. Tb with new owners and the islandrs with a new arena. Phx moves back to Winnipeg, carlona goes to Quebec city, panthers move to Hartford and the blue jackets move to seattle.

TB as a franchise might be ok... HUGE step in getting Yzerman there, and maybe there are enough northern transplants and leftover fans from the Cup winning season to make it work. Hopefully the new owners are for real.

Islanders, like you said need a new an arena... they have history, and a young marketable "star", and an up and coming team in a huge market.

I'm all about getting Phoenix and Florida moved... But moving a team to Hartford is a mistake in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing them move to Winnipeg, Quebec City, Seattle or even Toronto.

Carolina has decent attendance, right (I could be wrong)? There seems to be some level of interest in that area for hockey.

I'm still not sure on Columbus... I think the product has a lot to do with how that team is doing. Besides Buckeye Football, central ohio really doesn't have any sports, so if the team could get good for a few years, I think that they could get some support... I don't know...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    when i google him, his name is spelled without the "C"
    is this correct, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    I know contraction will not happen. but there are other things that can be done other than that. I think TB and the islanders can survive still. Tb with new owners and the islandrs with a new arena. Phx moves back to Winnipeg, carlona goes to Quebec city, panthers move to Hartford and the blue jackets move to seattle.

TB as a franchise might be ok... HUGE step in getting Yzerman there, and maybe there are enough northern transplants and leftover fans from the Cup winning season to make it work. Hopefully the new owners are for real.

Islanders, like you said need a new an arena... they have history, and a young marketable "star", and an up and coming team in a huge market.

I'm all about getting Phoenix and Florida moved... But moving a team to Hartford is a mistake in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing them move to Winnipeg, Quebec City, Seattle or even Toronto.

Carolina has decent attendance, right (I could be wrong)? There seems to be some level of interest in that area for hockey.

I'm still not sure on Columbus... I think the product has a lot to do with how that team is doing. Besides Buckeye Football, central ohio really doesn't have any sports, so if the team could get good for a few years, I think that they could get some support... I don't know...

Carolina is 23 in the NHL in attendance. The NHL will never move a team to Toronto. they want a new team there as it get the NHL close to 1 billion for purchasing rights. hartford got screwed out of a team there. The owner and the city was too cheap to get a new arena. the same as in Winnipeg. Hartford would be a great team.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I lived nearby Hartford for years and an NHL team would not work well there at this point. There arent too many hockey fans there at all, and there isnt all that much of a local identity. People there are fans of Boston or NYC sports teams and identify very closely with those cities' teams... All Patriots, Red Sox, and Yankees. UConn Basketball is the only thing that is really supported 'locally' and all it takes are many, many titles.

But Quebec City and Winnipeg, hell yeah. I think Seattle would be good too.

I really dont want to see a relocation unless its totally necessary. I almost lost the Sabres and it really, really sucked.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    So the rumor is the Devils are not going to fight this?

Re-negotiation?
    Moving on?
    Lou getting his way?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

Re-negotiation?
    Moving on?
    Lou getting his way?

From what I can tell, there isn't much, I'd expect at least a challenge. Lou said he'd done nothing wrong and it's legal.

If Kovalchuk is true to his word and money wasn't a factor he should just sign a 10 year deal at say.. 80 mill. If in fact he does want to be a "Devil for life" he should have no problem coming to a new agreement to get this shit taken care of once and for all.

This has been one long fucking soap opera
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I lived nearby Hartford for years and an NHL team would not work well there at this point. There arent too many hockey fans there at all, and there isnt all that much of a local identity. People there are fans of Boston or NYC sports teams and identify very closely with those cities' teams... All Patriots, Red Sox, and Yankees. UConn Basketball is the only thing that is really supported 'locally' and all it takes are many, many titles.

But Quebec City and Winnipeg, hell yeah. I think Seattle would be good too.

I really dont want to see a relocation unless its totally necessary. I almost lost the Sabres and it really, really sucked.

thanks Mayday, i just remember that Hartford was a good franchise in the past but I guess i have to realize that things change :cry:

I feel for you as a sabres fan. they are like the Montreal Expos of the NHL. sad.
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:

Re-negotiation?
    Moving on?
    Lou getting his way?

From what I can tell, there isn't much, I'd expect at least a challenge. Lou said he'd done nothing wrong and it's legal.

If Kovalchuk is true to his word and money wasn't a factor he should just sign a 10 year deal at say.. 80 mill. If in fact he does want to be a "Devil for life" he should have no problem coming to a new agreement to get this shit taken care of once and for all.

I don't know if the words "Kovalkhuck" "money wasn't a factor" belong in the same sentence. I see him going to the KHL now.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942

Yeah... but there needs to be rules for the owners to protect themselves from themselves... I lived this firsthand with the Penguins (was working for them at the time). Howard Baldwin came in (basically with other people's money), made all sorts of deals that the franchise couldn't afford, and bankrupted the team...

I don't really know what the solution is...
    Get back on a real network would be a good start...
    VS is in 65 million homes in america

ESPN is in 90 million homes

ESPN doesn't give a shit bout hockey. that was pretty obivous when the coverage was getting less and less and when ESPN low balled the nhl with a low contract. That's why the NHL went to OLN/VS

Hockey is a niche sport in america and espn would rather shove poker down peoples throats then hockey.

VS and the NHL network do a good job in covering hockey. VS one playoff night this year had 4 games that they showed and the nhl network has shown the canada day games. Those are 2 things ESPN would never do.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    fife wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

Re-negotiation?
    Moving on?
    Lou getting his way?

I don't know if the words "Kovalkhuck" "money wasn't a factor" belong in the same sentence. I see him going to the KHL now.
    Lol no kidding
    Good riddance if he does.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

Yeah... but there needs to be rules for the owners to protect themselves from themselves... I lived this firsthand with the Penguins (was working for them at the time). Howard Baldwin came in (basically with other people's money), made all sorts of deals that the franchise couldn't afford, and bankrupted the team...

I don't really know what the solution is...
    Get back on a real network would be a good start...
    VS is in 65 million homes in america

ESPN is in 90 million homes

ESPN doesn't give a shit bout hockey. that was pretty obivous when the coverage was getting less and less and when ESPN low balled the nhl with a low contract. That's why the NHL went to OLN/VS

Hockey is a niche sport in america and espn would rather shove poker down peoples throats then hockey.

VS and the NHL network do a good job in covering hockey. VS one playoff night this year had 4 games that they showed and the nhl network has shown the canada day games. Those are 2 things ESPN would never do.

I agree with you about Vs. being better than ESPn but i still believe that the major issue is that the NHL is trying to become a top 3 sport in the US when it can't. The NHL has to get back to strong teams. ESPN or any other station is not going to show hockey games between 2 loser teams. by building a better NHL you will get the TV ratings. Hockey is a great sport (my favorite) but it will not become larger until the NHl becomes more exciting to non-fans.
  • Options

This has been one long fucking soap opera[/quote]

I don't know if the words "Kovalkhuck" "money wasn't a factor" belong in the same sentence. I see him going to the KHL now.[/quote]
    Lol no kidding
    Good riddance if he does.[/quote]

I disagree Rygar. The NHL can't afford to lose players with his talent. he is a superstar and the NHL doesn't have that many superstar left.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    fife wrote:
    I disagree Rygar. The NHL can't afford to lose players with his talent. he is a superstar and the NHL doesn't have that many superstar left.
    Well he is talented, I'll give him that.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    fife wrote:

wow a flyers fan and a habs fan agreeing. this can't be good.
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    fife wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    fife wrote:

wow a flyers fan and a habs fan agreeing. this can't be good.

Its another sign that the Mayans are right. 2012 is on its way.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    fife wrote:
    I agree with you about Vs. being better than ESPn but i still believe that the major issue is that the NHL is trying to become a top 3 sport in the US when it can't. The NHL has to get back to strong teams. ESPN or any other station is not going to show hockey games between 2 loser teams. by building a better NHL you will get the TV ratings. Hockey is a great sport (my favorite) but it will not become larger until the NHl becomes more exciting to non-fans.
    the nhl will never be a top 3 sport. Nascar gets more viewers in america then the nhl and we all know how huge nascar is. The only way the nhl will ever be a top 3 sport or stronger is get rid of teams in the southern us or move them to seattle or canada like you and others said. the last lockout killed any hopes of the nhl ever being a top 3 sport. It was a top 4 sport before the lockout but now poker and nascar have taken its place.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    [
    Well he is talented, I'll give him that.[/quote]

wow a flyers fan and a habs fan agreeing. this can't be good.[/quote]

Its another sign that the Mayans are right. 2012 is on its way.[/quote]

great the year the flyers are going to win the cup and the world is going to end. thanks a lot damm Mayans :x
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    fife wrote:
    the nhl will never be a top 3 sport. Nascar gets more viewers in america then the nhl and we all know how huge nascar is. The only way the nhl will ever be a top 3 sport or stronger is get rid of teams in the southern us or move them to seattle or canada like you and others said. the last lockout killed any hopes of the nhl ever being a top 3 sport. It was a top 4 sport before the lockout but now poker and nascar have taken its place.

lets not go over board. While yes, poker is on TV all time and nascar is big too. from all reports both don't grab as much ratings at the NHL. NHL is still number 4. I agree that the lockout didn't help the NHL (just like the lockout in baseball didn't help baseball in canada) but i still believe the major issues is that there are too many team.
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    is this correct, yes/no?
    it's true.
    no C is present in his name.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    is this correct, yes/no?
    it's true.

what are you talking about? I have a feeling your mask is not working :D
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    is this correct, yes/no?
    it's true.

simple easy shit.
    his fucking name has zero C's in it.
    ILYA KOVALCHUCK = the incorrect spelling of his fucking last name.
    i have no clue about this dude.
    but i can spell his name correctly.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    fife wrote:

simple easy shit.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.
    Kovalchuck is his middle name...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    fife wrote:

simple easy shit.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.
    Kovalchuck is his middle name...
    every site i have looked over spells it with no C

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    [what are you talking about? I have a feeling your mask is not working :D[/quote]
    simple easy shit.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.[/quote]

oh, i don't know if this post is mad that i didn't know what he was talking about.
  • Options
    Kovalchuck is his middle name...[/quote]
    every site i have looked over spells it with no C[/quote]

no your right. it is mispelled
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    simple easy shit.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=84 ... l-keymatch

lists it as Kovalchuk.

[img]http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_415000/FF_415502_xl.jpg[/mg] not a real reliable source sometimes but: Ilya Valeryevich Kovalchuk according to wikipedia who cares though? obviously we are talking about the same hockey player. I dunno why you have only two posts in this thread about it's about grammar instead of hockey.[/img]
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    simple easy shit.

ILYA KOVALCHUK = correct

the thread title is off.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=84 ... l-keymatch

lists it as Kovalchuk.

[img]http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_415000/FF_415502_xl.jpg[/mg] not a real reliable source sometimes but: Ilya Valeryevich Kovalchuk according to wikipedia who cares though? obviously we are talking about the same hockey player. I dunno why you have only two posts in this thread about it's about grammar instead of hockey.[/img]
    The extra C should go in the front of his Jersey...
    GoiMTvP.gif