Options

ILYA KOVALCHUCK STILL A DEVIL!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    im sorry i thought you were a flyers fan ...but after reading the whole thread the only thing i know isthat u live in toronto and hate the leafs and pens :mrgreen:
    He is a Flyers fan.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Rygar wrote:
    im sorry i thought you were a flyers fan ...but after reading the whole thread the only thing i know isthat u live in toronto and hate the leafs and pens :mrgreen:
    He is a Flyers fan.

thats what i thought

ok then fife you were making fun of the rangers so i just said the flyers haven't won a cup in a real long time

excuse me i had the morning from hell and my head is real confused this morning

and mr. rygar wtf is your habs thread
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Rygar wrote:
    He is a Flyers fan.

thats what i thought

ok then fife you were making fun of the rangers so i just said the flyers haven't won a cup in a real long time

excuse me i had the morning from hell and my head is real confused this morning

and mr. rygar wtf is your habs thread
    Not much news in Habland!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    FrankieG wrote:
    I am happy that we got him, but I hate the 17 year idea.

Too much time for injury, and he isnt gonna be motivated to perform if he knows he is getting 6 mill a year no matter how good/bad he does.

I have been a Devil fan since i was a kid, and i still am... but i dont agree with the 17 year part...

Still going to go to 5+ games though cause i want to see him :mrgreen:

it's front loaded. i think 8.5 this year, and then creeps up to 11.5 before dropping off on the back end. last 5 years are 550K per season. thats the cash flow perspective, cap hit perspective, it's $6M per year. there are going to be so many teams in cap hell in 10 years becasue of these deals.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    petrocs wrote:
    Still trying to figure this one out...so he turned down a 12 yr $101 million dollar deal with Atlanta to accept a 17 yr $102 million dollar deal with NJ? Now I may not know anything about math (I do..a lot) so he accepted MORE yrs (5) for an extra $1 million? Wow..I'd fire his agent this moment..stupid deal

Yes, it's better to get the money sooner than later, but I doubt he is going to play more than 12 years anyway, so total money is the same.

And he is in a better hockey market and on a team with a better chance to win... Not a terrible decision by any means.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife wrote:
    [hey! don't give the devil fans any ideas!

don't worry none of us will still be alive when the rangers or the Devils win another cup.

yea cause the flyers have won alot recently :roll:[/quote]

neily babe where did this come from?[/quote]

im sorry i thought you were a flyers fan ...but after reading the whole thread the only thing i know isthat u live in toronto and hate the leafs and pens :mrgreen:[/quote]

no problems, i am a Flyers fan but i watch almost every team that i can.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    brother123 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    don't like this guy

don't like the Devils

both will increase with this signing

hope it doesnt work out

So why, tell me, post in a thread about the Devils and Ilya??
    This is THE marquee free agent signing of the off-season, and he signed a huge, unconventional contract...the whole hockey world has an opinion on this - I dont think its really trolling for Devil-haters to comment.
    .I would not put my cup dreams on the shoulders of this guy, no way. Alexi Yashin anyone? have fun getting rid of him with this contract, if/when he does tank.
  • Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    edited July 2010
    rival. wrote:
    do devil fans really think they have earned the right to talk shit? Let me guess your response is "at least we get there man!"

Yes, I do at least, and my response goes something like this:

Longest winless streak in the Rangers history: 23 straight games between 1997 and 2001 to, you guessed it, the New Jersey Devils (3rd longest team vs. team streak in NHL history)

34 fired coaches in the Ranger's history, more than any other sports franchise

NHL record for MOST 1st round series losses with 24. Also hold record for MOST times being SWEPT in a playoff series with 11

Failed to pass the 1st round of the playoffs between 1951-1970, and just once in a 30 year span (1941-1970). Both NHL records!

Missed the playoffs more times than any other team in NHL history with 31 years, including a drought of 18 times out of only 23 years

NHL record for LONGEST consecutive Stanley Cup drought with 54 years (1940-1994) and have only 1 cup in the last 70 years... I guess your response will be, "at least we've been around that long, man"
    Post edited by JasonE on
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    These NHL contracts are getting ridiculous. 17 years????
  • Options

its brilliant if you think about it. people used to complain that players don't stay with one team anymore but if this trend continues than they will.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    How much of a loser am I for watching this Press Conference :? :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    fife wrote:

its brilliant if you think about it. people used to complain that players don't stay with one team anymore but if this trend continues than they will.

I don't mind them from a league issue, but I'm not sure that I want my team doing it for hardly any players. A lot of players have that internal drive that you can't stop, but I can't help but think that It's gotta kill the motivation on some players. Imagine your boss saying that he was going to pay you for the next 17 years... how hard would you really work?

That being said, if my Pens could lock up Crosby for 17 years, I'd hope they'd do it in a heart-beat.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    do devil fans really think they have earned the right to talk shit? Let me guess your response is "at least we get there man!"

Longest winless streak in the Rangers history: 23 straight games between 1997 and 2001 to, you guessed it, the New Jersey Devils (3rd longest team vs. team streak in NHL history)

NHL record for MOST 1st round series losses with 24. Also hold record for MOST times being SWEPT in a playoff series with 11

Failed to pass the 1st round of the playoffs between 1951-1970, and just once in a 30 year span (1941-1970). Both NHL records!

Missed the playoffs more times than any other team in NHL history with 31 years, including a drought of 18 times out of only 23 years

NHL record for LONGEST consecutive Stanley Cup drought with 54 years (1940-1994) and have only 1 cup in the last 70 years... I guess your response will be, "at least we've been around that long, man"

:lol:
    its sad you know this much about my team :lol:

all i know about the devils is fathead marty is a diver and gretzky callef them mickey mouse
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,130

can you say lockout when the CBA runs out in a few years? ever since the lockout when they claimed they didn't have money, we've seen deals of 13, 15 and 17 years given to players. what's next a lifetime contract?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

can you say lockout when the CBA runs out in a few years? ever since the lockout when they claimed they didn't have money, we've seen deals of 13, 15 and 17 years given to players. what's next a lifetime contract?

What does the length of term have to do with how much money the league has? The big issue was the growing revenue vs salary structure of the league... that has been fixed with the cap....
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    JasonE wrote:
    rival. wrote:

you are covering the entire history of the rangers which is a little ridiculous. do i care the rangers didn't pass the 1st round of the playoffs between 1951 - 1970? i wasn't alive. wasn't even close to alive. it's a little unfair to compare certain stats with an original six, to a team that introduced to the league in 1982.

going by your logic, i can end the debate by saying the rangers have 4 cups, and the devils have 2.5. but why would i bring up any NY cup pre-1994? really doesn't have much basis anymore.

going more current, i don't have the exact records, and i am well aware that 24 winless streak with the devils, but i know post lock out, we have definitly turned that leaf and have the winning record.

you have only beaten us once in four playoff series. and that one win was with a one armed jagr, and a migraine plagued lundqvist, who was replaced by weekes. i wouldn't exactly call that a proud series to win.

you have gone through more coaching changes in recent years than the rangers.
  • Options

What does the length of term have to do with how much money the league has? The big issue was the growing revenue vs salary structure of the league... that has been fixed with the cap....

not really, you have many teams/owners in the NHL who are not happy with the CBA. many teams can't even afford the base cap.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    brother123 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    don't like this guy

don't like the Devils

hope it doesnt work out

This is THE marquee free agent signing of the off-season, and he signed a huge, unconventional contract...the whole hockey world has an opinion on this - I dont think its really trolling for Devil-haters to comment.
    .I would not put my cup dreams on the shoulders of this guy, no way. Alexi Yashin anyone? have fun getting rid of him with this contract, if/when he does tank.
    speaking of yashin

The islanders recently contacted him to play for the team again. I guess they figured might as well have him on our team since where paying him till 2015.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    speaking of yashin

The islanders recently contacted him to play for the team again. I guess they figured might as well have him on our team since where paying him till 2015.
    Ouch. How's that DiPietro contract workin out for you guys?
    I seriously don't like signing guys to big contracts for any more than three years. I know it makes it hard to retain, or lure away the big names...but it's just too risky unless you have a sure-fire winner. There are maybe five or six guys in the league I'd sign for five years or more, and Kovy isn't one of them.

I've said it a million times, the Oilers cup run in 06 was the worst thing that could have happened to our team...we signed a bunch of guys that over-achieved in ONE post-season to long-term, big number deals, and got stuck with them for a looooong time after their game came back to earth. I just don't get the logic behind the Kovalchuck deal - esp with all the precedents set by either disappearing or early-to-retire Russians.
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    brother123 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    don't like this guy

don't like the Devils

hope it doesnt work out

I understand the ramifications of having such a long contract and yes he can't be expected to produce throughout his contract. I'm I pinning all my hopes on this guy? No, it's not just one person who makes a difference it's the combine lines. Put him with Parise, Langy, and Zubrus and you've got a great line.
  • Options
    So why, tell me, post in a thread about the Devils and Ilya??[/quote]
    .I would not put my cup dreams on the shoulders of this guy, no way. Alexi Yashin anyone? have fun getting rid of him with this contract, if/when he does tank.[/quote] speaking of yashin

The islanders recently contacted him to play for the team again. I guess they figured might as well have him on our team since where paying him till 2015.[/quote]

from what i understand, the islanders are not close to the base cap money. they need to spend some more money or face a strict penalty.
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

I understand the ramifications of having such a long contract and yes he can't be expected to produce throughout his contract. I'm I pinning all my hopes on this guy? No, it's not just one person who makes a difference it's the combine lines. Put him with Parise, Langy, and Zubrus and you've got a great line.

so 4 forwards on the 1 line??? :lol:
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    edited July 2010
    fife wrote:

from what i understand, the islanders are not close to the base cap money. they need to spend some more money or face a strict penalty.
    the islanders salary cap is 33 million I think. You have to have your cap at 42 million and the max cap is 59.6 or somewhere near there. The isles won't face a penalty seeing as how buttman and the isles owner are buddy buddy.
    metsfan wrote:
    speaking of yashin

I seriously don't like signing guys to big contracts for any more than three years. I know it makes it hard to retain, or lure away the big names...but it's just too risky unless you have a sure-fire winner. There are maybe five or six guys in the league I'd sign for five years or more, and Kovy isn't one of them.

I've said it a million times, the Oilers cup run in 06 was the worst thing that could have happened to our team...we signed a bunch of guys that over-achieved in ONE post-season to long-term, big number deals, and got stuck with them for a looooong time after their game came back to earth. I just don't get the logic behind the Kovalchuck deal - esp with all the precedents set by either disappearing or early-to-retire Russians.
    the DP contract is a bust cause he's always injured. At the time of signing I really didn't mind but nowhe's played 11 games since the signing. The isles main problem is the arena. That's why kovy and many others have rejected coming here.

This kovy deal will hurt them when it comes time for zach p contract. The devils aren't great in resigning their own players. Gomez and paul martin come to mind.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

power play. silly kings fans
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    [

Ilya plays the point position on the Power Play... I think it will work better when they get used to each other...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:

True true...I just don't like spending that kind of money, and giving that kind of security to ANYONE, esp someone who's never won anything. Spreading the cap hit out is the only reason this makes sense at all. 6 mil a year isn't outrageous for a player of his calibre...but the $100 mil overall commitment to him is crazy IMO.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

power play. silly kings fans

he shouldn't say line ..its power play unit
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    fife wrote:

the islanders salary cap is 33 million I think. You have to have your cap at 42 million and the max cap is 59.6 or somewhere near there. The isles won't face a penalty seeing as how buttman and the isles owner are buddy buddy.
    metsfan wrote:
    speaking of yashin

the DP contract is a bust cause he's always injured. At the time of signing I really didn't mind but nowhe's played 11 games since the signing. The isles main problem is the arena. That's why kovy and many others have rejected coming here.

This kovy deal will hurt them when it comes time for zach p contract. The devils aren't great in resigning their own players. Gomez and paul martin come to mind.

I agree with you on all these points. how many more years before the islanders move to Brooklyn again?
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792

You know we have to improve our odds.

Have Parise, Kovalchuk and Langs
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:

You know we have to improve our odds.

Have Parise, Kovalchuk and Langs
    Who plays right?