Options

ILYA KOVALCHUCK STILL A DEVIL!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    They will have to shave off a couple of years and then they will be done... They will lose a player because of this... I'll bet on either Clarkson or Zubrus if they can trade them...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    They will have to shave off a couple of years and then they will be done... They will lose a player because of this... I'll bet on either Clarkson or Zubrus if they can trade them...

and it will be more of a cap hit every year as it should be
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

Yep...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

tough two guys for the devils to give up. but my bet would be on zubrus.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,614
    To add to the situation, Lou said that these contracts are bad for the league... and he had nothing to do with this contract, it came straight from ownership.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    To add to the situation, Lou said that these contracts are bad for the league... and he had nothing to do with this contract, it came straight from ownership.
    Yeah, you can tell he was backing away from this deal... The deal made sense if the Pronger deal went through... they would be the same age when it was done, was probably their thinking... This should be good drama...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    you have to agree with the NHL here, but it looks like the result of this is going to be another star playing overseas which sucks.

welcome to the KHL kovy!
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

Yep...

Yeah... i think it's (as compared to Pronger & Hossa), just blatantly extending the term too much.

Pronger has 2 years of $525k at the end... Hossa has 4 years at $1 mil or below at the end... both sketchy, but they were allowed.

But Kovy would have 6 years at $750k or less. That is pretty blatantly just adding a bunch of years to soften the cap hit.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    Explain the elimination of the 2-line pass, the rectangle behind the goal, the constant penalty calls? These were all done to put an end to the Devils...and you know, it worked for the next 5 years until Lou and co. had enough and said we will get Kovy and keep our strong goaltending and D and let's see other teams defend now and take penalties and have swiss-cheese goalies...and the whole league is not happy that the Devils will be a huge force for the next decade and everyone put pressure on that rat fuck bettman.

When Hossa signed in Chicago people were happy he wasn't with the Red Wings anymore...when the Flyers extended Pronger, nobody said anything because it's the Flyers...but when the Devils make a huge move, people start crying...I'm sure Lou is just laughing at this right now, going to bed happy and salivating at the chance to eat betty out...Kovy will be a Devil, dont worry...if anything, he might help us out and make the cap hit even less!

lol... did the Kovy deal come with a free tin foil hat?

And no, Kovy won't help you out to make the cap hit even less... He's getting his $102 mil (or damn near close to it). Either the term will be shortened a bit (raising the cap hit) or his money will be spread out more evenly (hard to imagine anyone delaying their money like that in this league... as Mario how deferring salary worked out for him).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    all these deals, hossa, pronger and kovy are bs deals that while good in the short term, will kill teams in the long term. I'd might like to see the next CBA have caps on contrat years. maybe 6 max???
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    all these deals, hossa, pronger and kovy are bs deals that while good in the short term, will kill teams in the long term. I'd might like to see the next CBA have caps on contrat years. maybe 6 max???
    Then they would need to change the cap structure or players are going to take a BIG hit...
    This is going to be a HUGE mess... Expect a long lockout...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    81 wrote:

I could not disagree with you more. we are going to see alot more players going to the KHL if that happens ie cap on contracts.

owners should be able to do what they want with their money and the NHL should not stop contracts. do we have to remind ourselves that the NHL is paying for a whole team salary with other people money. Assman is the worst commish in any sports and how he is still the commish tells me that the owners are dumb as hell.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    Then they would need to change the cap structure or players are going to take a BIG hit...

grandfather those silly deals in, but going forward cap the years. they gotta do something, because if they keep doing these contracts, you are going to have teams with half the cap payroll going to players that can't play.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I would like them to make the cap hit the amount the player makes in that season.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I will refuse to ever watch the NHL if there is a lockout. And i am a Canadian so you know i mean business. assman should be fired right away. he has no idea how to run the NHL. I would not even have him run a lemonade stand. he would give it away for nothing just like he did for hockey in the US.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

grandfather those silly deals in, but going forward cap the years. they gotta do something, because if they keep doing these contracts, you are going to have teams with half the cap payroll going to players that can't play.

again, leave the owners with the power not a dumb ass of a commish to decide what to do with their money.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    fife wrote:
    81 wrote:

I could not disagree with you more. we are going to see alot more players going to the KHL if that happens ie cap on contracts.

owners should be able to do what they want with their money and the NHL should not stop contracts. do we have to remind ourselves that the NHL is paying for a whole team salary with other people money. Assman is the worst commish in any sports and how he is still the commish tells me that the owners are dumb as hell.
    I think the KHL will lose its luster. Hell, Jiri Hudler took a good deal with a team based out of Moscow and the team folded one year into his contract (which is fucking awesome because he is coming back to Detroit :thumbup: ). Add in the Russian mafia element, sketchy facilities, and lower world exposure and it is much better to stay in the NHL . . . unless you are looking for a 1-2 year payday at the end of your career.
  • Options
    just doing some reading, and not being a cap guru, my assumptions here may be wrong, but it looks like since he signed the deal before he turned 35, the devils in theory, could send him to the minors and the contract wouldn't count agaist the cap

if you get bored, here is the entire 472 page agreement.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    again, leave the owners with the power not a dumb ass of a commish to decide what to do with their money.

Who do you think voted unanimously for the extension of the commissioner? Bettman works in the interest of the owners.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah... but there needs to be rules for the owners to protect themselves from themselves... I lived this firsthand with the Penguins (was working for them at the time). Howard Baldwin came in (basically with other people's money), made all sorts of deals that the franchise couldn't afford, and bankrupted the team...

I don't really know what the solution is...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Yeah... but there needs to be rules for the owners to protect themselves from themselves... I lived this firsthand with the Penguins (was working for them at the time). Howard Baldwin came in (basically with other people's money), made all sorts of deals that the franchise couldn't afford, and bankrupted the team...

Get back on a real network would be a good start...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    fife wrote:

Who do you think voted unanimously for the extension of the commissioner? Bettman works in the interest of the owners.

They voted for Assman because they believed that he broke the union. if fehr becomes the NHLPA leader Assman won't be there that much longer.
  • Options

yeah... i don't know what they get from Versus, but the exposure of putting the games on ESPN would be worth far than anything they get on the gopher hunting network.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    [
    grandfather those silly deals in, but going forward cap the years. they gotta do something, because if they keep doing these contracts, you are going to have teams with half the cap payroll going to players that can't play.[/quote]

again, leave the owners with the power not a dumb ass of a commish to decide what to do with their money.[/quote]

I don't really know what the solution is...[/quote]

the solution is getting owners who can afford teams and getting teams where they should be. Teams like the lighting, panthers, islanders, phx, blue jackets, Carolina should not be in the NHL as they are right now.
  • Options

yeah... i don't know what they get from Versus, but the exposure of putting the games on ESPN would be worth far than anything they get on the gopher hunting network.

I don't think ESPN wants the NHL. NHL on TV in the US is a joke. The NHL takes their bread and butter for granted and sells out to the NBC and US stations.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    [

again, leave the owners with the power not a dumb ass of a commish to decide what to do with their money.[/quote]

the solution is getting owners who can afford teams and getting teams where they should be. Teams like the lighting, panthers, islanders, phx, blue jackets, Carolina should not be in the NHL as they are right now.[/quote]

But you know contraction isn't going to happen... there might be a couple market moves, but realistically most of those teams aren't going anywhere.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

true. but i remember when they were first on OLN post lock out. you had to pay an additional amount on your cable bill just to receive the channel. at least with VS it is included in cable package plans. so it is just as accessible as ESPN.

would love to see them back on ESPN, but outside of the NBA, NFL, MLB, 97% of the ESPN staff is out of their element. it still wouldn't get the coverage it deserves.
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    rival. wrote:

true. but i remember when they were first on OLN post lock out. you had to pay an additional amount on your cable bill just to receive the channel. at least with VS it is included in cable package plans. so it is just as accessible as ESPN.

would love to see them back on ESPN, but outside of the NBA, NFL, MLB, 97% of the ESPN staff is out of their element. it still wouldn't get the coverage it deserves.

ESPN is a joke. I was watching it last year and they said Crosby was an American. Although, it would give hockey a boost and they have decent broadcasts.
  • Options
    brother123 wrote:

ESPN is a joke. I was watching it last year and they said Crosby was an American. Although, it would give hockey a boost and they have decent broadcasts.
    He's is an american... North Amercian... :mrgreen:

Anyway, ESPN would just get them more exposure... I think the finals on NBC were the best ratings since Isles-Philly Game 6 in 1980... so there is interest, it's just getting it out there...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

the solution is getting owners who can afford teams and getting teams where they should be. Teams like the lighting, panthers, islanders, phx, blue jackets, Carolina should not be in the NHL as they are right now.[/quote]

But you know contraction isn't going to happen... there might be a couple market moves, but realistically most of those teams aren't going anywhere.[/quote]

I know contraction will not happen. but there are other things that can be done other than that. I think TB and the islanders can survive still. Tb with new owners and the islandrs with a new arena. Phx moves back to Winnipeg, carlona goes to Quebec city, panthers move to Hartford and the blue jackets move to seattle.