Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    Considering I thought so highly of the setlists, fanviews, and band comments of the first 2 (supposedly weaker) shows that i booked a last minute plane ticket to philly just for the final night - and got a better show than i possibly could have expected - i don't see how the spectrum spectacle could possibly be overrated ...

Sure, the songs weren't all tight, but i've never seen a show where they haven't fucked anything up ... besides, i'd rather see them let loose and mix it up and have tons of fun than play the same 90 minute set as my other favorite band (Tool, i'm looking at you angrily) just because there is less risk of sounding a bit off ...

When i saw ed with the accordion on stage, it was special to me because they were about to give us yet another great memory that would never be duplicated, and i could give 2 shits about how it was going to sound on the bootleg ... and i got a ton of those memories that night that will never play out on the bootleg

I'd never flown to see a concert before and i probably won't again because i don't think it can be topped
  • Options
    jsut a simple reaction to the post...

eddie's voice didn't sound nearly as good in philly as this tour. i'll wait for the boots to come and make my judgement!
    -All that's sacred comes from youth.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

eddie's voice didn't sound nearly as good in philly as this tour. i'll wait for the boots to come and make my judgement!
    +1. For me, personally, it seems that since 2006, each year the band (by that I mean both instrumentals and Eddie) sounds better than the last - 2010 is no exception.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    KO282453 wrote:
    nickdarps wrote:
    bash philly all you want, bash msg II all you want, but wtf is wrong with creed?? ;)

it was 12 years ago around this time that i bought creed's debut cd. i was just finishing the eighth grade, on my way to high school, and my buddy told me about this band creed and how awesome they were. he showed me songs like "my own prison", "what's this life for", and "one". i thought it was kick ass. what made it even cooler is that no one else at my school was listening to them so it made my buddy and i feel cool lol. i dislike creed beyond comprehension now, but i can never say that i hate them... only because of sentiment. it was a simpler time back in 1998

Everybody makes mistakes in high school.

I know it's fashionable to blast Creed, but Pity for a Dime was a damn good song. Do I get kicked out of Ten Club now? Sorry to go off-topic.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    benjs wrote:

+1. For me, personally, it seems that since 2006, each year the band (by that I mean both instrumentals and Eddie) sounds better than the last - 2010 is no exception.

The band is playin as good as ever overall, but you can't honestly think Ed sounds better than ever. I've just been a fan since 98 or so and I've noticed a slip in the quality of his voice from night to night, especially the last couple years. There's so much stuff that he just doesn't go for.

The band is tuning songs down. The band is admitting Ed's voice is slippin it's ok for fans.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093

I've only seen them in 06, 07 and 09 bit I think 09 (Berlin) had Eddie sounding ALOT worse than on the 06 italian tour.

Hopefully 2010 is the return to glory :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    benjs wrote:

The band is playin as good as ever overall, but you can't honestly think Ed sounds better than ever. I've just been a fan since 98 or so and I've noticed a slip in the quality of his voice from night to night, especially the last couple years. There's so much stuff that he just doesn't go for.

The band is tuning songs down. The band is admitting Ed's voice is slippin it's ok for fans.
    Sorry, I guess I didn't write that as coherently as I meant to.. I'm just suggesting that since '06 it's been going up... eg '10>'09>'08>'06... Didn't really mean to compare to pre-'06.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I see the op's point about the shows being over-rated but only from the point of view that nights 3 & 4 were talked up so much you'd think PJ had performed the greatest shows ever when it was far from it. Honestly I'd have loved to have gone to all 4 shows but no more than any other PJ show. The highs from these shows are really special and I thought the Halloween show sounded like a dream come true with 41 songs but in all honesty I was tired just listening to the boot! It was great they tried to squeeze so many songs into 4 nights but some really top album tunes were left out in favour of some slightly less favourable ones but this is all opinion based I guess. Night 3 ranks alongside some of the great shows from the past and night 4 has a more than interesting setlist but as for performance you could pick out 4 better shows from the Aus/NZ leg easily.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    The fuck up's are what make shows classic for people who have been to way too many.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    Jurassic MarcJurassic Marc Posts: 152
    TheOx wrote:
    Evacuation Rules,

If you do not like the spontaneity and f*ck all attitude that goes into giving fans a rare or exciting experience then go see shows that feature the same setlist every single night. Bands that carry this many songs in their repertoire are not going to give you studio quality shows every night. That is the point. The Who Live at Leeds does not sound like an album cut. That is the greatness of it.

Either you are so incredibly spoiled by this band or you have no conception of what it is that you are getting at a live concert or on a recording of that concert. People on this board gripe and rate and rank all these things and it really misses the point a lot of the time. I realize part of this board is to say how you feel but I really think you have missed the mark with your criticism of these shows.

Have you listened to Hold On from Night 3? I was in the first row and it sounded perfect. They had never played that before. I listened to it on the boot and it sounded great as well. Ed flubs up lyrics a lot, but at least he is not reading them from a teleprompter like a lot of comparable musicians do today (the Boss amongst them). As far as them playing the wrong chords...that is not true. You can't play the wrong chords and have the same song. You may miss a chord change or be late on it but they are not playing different chords.

My suggestion: stick to bands who edit their live shows to sound like the studio or listen to the records if you are not going to glory in the fact that you are hearing something special and something historic. Satan's Bed in State College was only bad if you were not there and not stoked that they were even trying it for the sake of their fans who were holding up signs begging them to play it.

best post of the thread
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Glad you spent your $$$$ on them , i won't be buying any boots at all i'd rather just keep the memories of the shows in my head ....

yo, fuck that son! i was there for all 4 and the Spectrum sounded AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! so if the boots sound like shit it's not becuz the band did!! they were on fucking fire!! as always!!! and i bought the box set becuz if you were there for all 4 you NEED to own it!!!!!!!!

i say if you have a problem with how they sound go find another band to listen to ok OP...i hear Creed is on tour!!!

Nah i'm not buying any boots this time around i will get some down the road, but not now unless you wan't to hook a bro up :lol::mrgreen: and the only one's i would be interested in having is 10/30 & 10/31 so what you say big E 8-) ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    DeLukin wrote:
    You can barely make out anything PJ does during a show because the sound is so muddy anyway. Concerts are a live experience.
    Exactly. Perhaps it is BOOTLEGS that are over-rated...

Very good point. Attending a show is not the same as listening to it on a boot. The shows were great as experiences, but as boots, they just don't hold up.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    There's no way the OP was actually at the shows. This four night stand was CELEBRATION of Pearl Jam disguised as a celebration of the Spectrum. I mean...dude...they played Bugs. He strapped on an accordion and he...sang...Bugs. And I've heard it on the bootleg and it sounds perfect. Who cares if you're listening to a boot and he starts singing the wrong verse of Do The Evolution? At this point...20 years in....does it really fucking matter? Instead of whining about mistakes on the Philly boots, you may want to try praising the band for playing so many "rarities" and as well as a marathon show where THEY DRESSED AS FUCKING DEVO!!!! And that's what Rock N Roll is all about: having fun. It's not about worrying if some geek on the internet is gonna whine if you miss some notes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I can't really think of anything about Pearl Jam that is over-rated. If that makes me a fan girl so be it. I love this band, and I have fun at the shows, every single time. I don't really have this need to constantly compare shows, and I've been to a few (34 at this point, including Philly 3 and 4 09, and MSG 1 and 2 10). Those Philly shows were a huge party, and so many unexpected things that happened - they gave everything they had.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options

Nah i'm not buying any boots this time around i will get some down the road, but not now unless you wan't to hook a bro up :lol::mrgreen: and the only one's i would be interested in having is 10/30 & 10/31 so what you say big E 8-) ..

I got you my dude!
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I think the thread title should be changed to

"Philly '09: The most over-rated PJ BOOTLEGS ever".

I think we all agree that the shows were magical...
    ... the bootlegs may not capture that magic, leaving only the (somewhat sloppy-ish) performance.

Can we all agre on that? :? :mrgreen:

P.S. still waiting for my boxet though... CAN'T WAIT!!!! :D
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    The Fixer wrote:
    the OP is obviously from pittsburgh...for whatever reason they hate philly in western PA

Yeah, that must be it. :lol:
  • Options
    jester59388jester59388 Posts: 150
    I buy the boots to all the PJ shows I go to and listen to them frequently because it allows me to recapture the experience. I recently commented to my g/f that when I'm at a PJ show I am euphorically happy and I get a little bit of that back every time I listen to the boot. I have a few others for shows I did not attend, but other than Benny Hall (which has it's own appeal as a rather unique all accoustic set - not to mention a killer version of Masters of War and 25 minutes to go - both with fuck ups I should add) and Philadelphia (actually Camden) 9/2/00 (which has an incredible fuck up of Soon Forget because some chick keeps distracting Ed by flashing her tits at him), I don't normally listen to these other shows that much.

On the issue of major fuck ups, one of my favorite boots is Philly 2005 at the Wachovia Center. The band was playing Crazy Mary after a classic rendition of Crown of Thorns and during the L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G part there was this massive feedback like a giant mosquito that just shut the song down. What followed was classic with Ed saying "That shit freaked me out! I don't EVER want to play that song again!" They then decided to pick it up where they left off. It cracks me up every time.

In sum, I like the warts. If I want to hear a perfect studio version of the songs I'll just put on the friggin' studio record. But when I want to just re-live some of the better moments of my life, I'll take the boots as an accurate representation of what occurred.

I was at Philly 1, 2 and 4. I'm looking forward to getting and listening to my boots and being back there in the only way possible and I don't really give a crap if they are the best shows ever or the worst. They are, however, some of my best MEMORIES and like looking through an old photo album and seeing family and friends who are long gone there is still magic there even if it's not all good. 'Nuff said.
    a fool not a fucking god ....
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

To the OP: I haven't listened to the bootlegs. I was at all four shows. I've seen them 26 times in total. the experience, the songs, the sound, everything seemed pretty fuckin' good on those four glorious days. I rank these shows as some of the very best I've been to. And I'm not calling you a 'hater' here. But seriously... 4 concerts... over 100 different songs. FOUR CONCEERTS.... OVER 100 DIFFERENT SONGS. And you're here complaining about the quality. Give them a break. I was there. The quality obviously wasn't that bad or I would have noticed... I only really drank hard on night 4.

To the bashers of the OP: He has an opinion, just like we do. Let's not insult.

:)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,456
    I buy the boots to all the PJ shows I go to and listen to them frequently because it allows me to recapture the experience. I recently commented to my g/f that when I'm at a PJ show I am euphorically happy and I get a little bit of that back every time I listen to the boot. I have a few others for shows I did not attend, but other than Benny Hall (which has it's own appeal as a rather unique all accoustic set - not to mention a killer version of Masters of War and 25 minutes to go - both with fuck ups I should add) and Philadelphia (actually Camden) 9/2/00 (which has an incredible fuck up of Soon Forget because some chick keeps distracting Ed by flashing her tits at him), I don't normally listen to these other shows that much.

On the issue of major fuck ups, one of my favorite boots is Philly 2005 at the Wachovia Center. The band was playing Crazy Mary after a classic rendition of Crown of Thorns and during the L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G part there was this massive feedback like a giant mosquito that just shut the song down. What followed was classic with Ed saying "That shit freaked me out! I don't EVER want to play that song again!" They then decided to pick it up where they left off. It cracks me up every time.

In sum, I like the warts. If I want to hear a perfect studio version of the songs I'll just put on the friggin' studio record. But when I want to just re-live some of the better moments of my life, I'll take the boots as an accurate representation of what occurred.

I was at Philly 1, 2 and 4. I'm looking forward to getting and listening to my boots and being back there in the only way possible and I don't really give a crap if they are the best shows ever or the worst. They are, however, some of my best MEMORIES and like looking through an old photo album and seeing family and friends who are long gone there is still magic there even if it's not all good. 'Nuff said.

+1

Very well said and I totally agree.

I just wish all these people that love to point out how sloppy the band sounds would put out an album because from the way they talk they must be pretty damn awesome musicians.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    DollarDollar Posts: 237
    Wow...I guess with a month off from performances,we have to look for something to bitch about but Philly,really? The guys came out there & gave everything they had,performance & songs. I was at night 3 which was an unbelievable setlist and show,with crowd involvement being close to MSG II (I was there too!). Maybe they should give us standardized setlists every show so they get all the words and performances correct for our 10 club critics. But for me,I'll take the fuck-ups(I love it when Ed fucks up,it's part of a PJ show!),varied setlists & the pure emotion that the boys bring to the stage every fucking night!!!!!
  • Options
    keepnfaith44keepnfaith44 Posts: 677
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

I am confused, did you just recently say you stopped going to PJ shows because of how bad they sounded, it sounded like you meant like at least a few years ago? I was at show 4 and I thought in a lot of ways it was a Great show, they played for almost 4 hours and 42 songs. I also met at leaast a dozen PJ fans who were at night 3 and said it was also a VG show. Also just seen them at Hartford and after all these years i thought they were Great. Over about 10 year period I worked at several venues doing security and other related work and probably have seen over 100 bands/acts and can honestly say PJ is one of the very few bands who brings such great energy, and sincere desire to play a Great show every time I have seen them, I think Ed screwing up a few lines during 4 shows in 5 night period does not make it a"total abortion". Also, can you answer me a question, and i mean no disrepect, if you are so unhappy with PJ why come on here, it seems like a waste of time. :?:
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• Options
    keepnfaith44keepnfaith44 Posts: 677
    Dollar wrote:
    Wow...I guess with a month off from performances,we have to look for something to bitch about but Philly,really? The guys came out there & gave everything they had,performance & songs. I was at night 3 which was an unbelievable setlist and show,with crowd involvement being close to MSG II (I was there too!). Maybe they should give us standardized setlists every show so they get all the words and performances correct for our 10 club critics. But for me,I'll take the fuck-ups(I love it when Ed fucks up,it's part of a PJ show!),varied setlists & the pure emotion that the boys bring to the stage every fucking night!!!!!

I agree 100%, as I said in previous post worked security at several venues over 10 years, seen over 100 bands/acts, and no one handles missed lyrics and impervations like Ed. One of my favorites PJ performances is when he f's up Black during Bridge Concert in mid 90's, it is classic ED, keep up the screws up, if people do not like the "mistakes", they got these things called CDs :D
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    Meh... I challenge the OP to find a better sounding version of Pearl Jam performing "Whip It"...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    phungi wrote:
    Meh... I challenge the OP to find a better sounding version of Pearl Jam performing "Whip It"...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_5jPZKAEw

PJ 1997 Seattle
  • Options
    It would suck to only listen to one band religiously.

:thumbup:
  • Options
    BigairbruceyBigairbrucey Posts: 141
    cutz wrote:
    Well, i guess my ears are fucked up, because they sound fine to me. I think the thread headline should read: MSG-2 2010, THE MOST OVER-RATED SHOW EVER!!!> :o

Amen brother...my ears just stopped ringing from that show. Regardless of little fuck ups the Spectrum sounded SO MUCH better than any place i've seen PJ
    Reading PA 2004
    Virginia Beach outside in the grass 2008
    Philly Spectrum night 2 2009
    New York MSG night 2 2010
    Montreal Bell Centre 2011
  • Options
    You know, all of this 'over-rated' crap is starting to bug me. I don't see why it has to be a competition for anything, and you wouldn't have 'over-rated' shows if you didn't have a fan base insistent on rating shows in the first place. If we could all just be contempt with what we've seen, and share memories and bootlegs of these shows strictly for the sake of sharing the magic, wouldn't this place be a lot happier?

EV
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I love this thread, it's hilarious. I highly doubt the OP has bought every bootleg the band has ever made and if he did, what a colossal waste of money(In My opinion). I bought the whole 2003 set and sold it because I just don't know how anyone could possibly ever listen to them.

Anyone who doesn't think the Spectrum shows or the MSG weren't awesome experiences to be at they have no business being a critic. Speaking of messing up lyrics, I can't think of a show where Ed hasn't flubbed a lyric or 2. He still goes at it naturally without a lyric monitor in front of him like so many other bands do now. To me the Spectrum shows and NYC shows(as well as Boston) was all energy driven which made these shows special and that doesn't come across in the bootlegs.

The Garden, building wise, doesn't have anywhere near the sound quality that the spectrum has. The Spectrum is a much louder and better sounding building and may be one of the best ever for live bands.

Overrating the experience of closing one of the most historic buildings in music is silly in my opinion. The band had a great time, the fans had a great time and everyone else involved had a great time. Basing great shows off of bootlegs that you can barely hear the crowd in is laughable. I couldn't care less if Ed flubs a lyric now and then, thats what happens when you play live. The band is tighter than ever now so I don't know how you can say they played bad too.

I'm done. Overrating these shows is silly, plain and simple.

By the way can we see a picture of all of your live bootleg collections?
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I love this thread, it's hilarious. I highly doubt the OP has bought every bootleg the band has ever made and if he did, what a colossal waste of money(In My opinion). I bought the whole 2003 set and sold it because I just don't know how anyone could possibly ever listen to them.

Anyone who doesn't think the Spectrum shows or the MSG weren't awesome experiences to be at they have no business being a critic. Speaking of messing up lyrics, I can't think of a show where Ed hasn't flubbed a lyric or 2. He still goes at it naturally without a lyric monitor in front of him like so many other bands do now. To me the Spectrum shows and NYC shows(as well as Boston) was all energy driven which made these shows special and that doesn't come across in the bootlegs.

The Garden, building wise, doesn't have anywhere near the sound quality that the spectrum has. The Spectrum is a much louder and better sounding building and may be one of the best ever for live bands.

Overrating the experience of closing one of the most historic buildings in music is silly in my opinion. The band had a great time, the fans had a great time and everyone else involved had a great time. Basing great shows off of bootlegs that you can barely hear the crowd in is laughable. I couldn't care less if Ed flubs a lyric now and then, thats what happens when you play live. The band is tighter than ever now so I don't know how you can say they played bad too.

I'm done. Overrating these shows is silly, plain and simple.

By the way can we see a picture of all of your live bootleg collections?

The band makes mistakes, prolly more than any big band I've ever seen, and that's not taking Ed's lyric flubs into consideration.

The Spectrum, no matter how great it sounds compared to other arenas, is not a good sounding venue.

It's not one of the most historic buildings in music. It's one of the most historic venues in Philadelpia.

Just b/c you don't have time to listen to bootlegs doesn't mean other people don't.

It is ridiculous to say that MSG, Philly or really any PJ show would suck to be at. I was at the Chicago''s last year and there was some stuff that was sloppy as shit. I caught the mistakes it kinda jogged through my mind for a sec, but then I was sucked back in pretty quick by something badass.

You can be a relaxed, not over rehearsed type band that pulls out crazy shit all the time and still not flub stuff as bad as PJ does at times.
This discussion has been closed.