Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    MrSmith wrote:
    but seriously, who cares that its the last show played at a stadium? who cares? they get torn down all the time.

i just want to hear night 1. that looks awesome to me.

I care and many of us in Philly cared and Pearl Jam obviously cared deeply about it as well.
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    MrSmith wrote:
    but seriously, who cares that its the last show played at a stadium? who cares? they get torn down all the time.

i just want to hear night 1. that looks awesome to me.

It's an arena, not a stadium.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    why the fuck do people comment on shows they didn't even attend?

that's like giving an opinion about a food that you've never tasted.

stupid
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

eh, i think people are entitled to an opinion from just listening to a boot. shit... i own all of the european boots from the 2000 tour and i can honestly say those are some of my favorite shows the band has ever put on. and obviously i wasn't there... just going off the boots.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

eh, i think people are entitled to an opinion from just listening to a boot. shit... i own all of the european boots from the 2000 tour and i can honestly say those are some of my favorite shows the band has ever put on. and obviously i wasn't there... just going off the boots.
    Australia seems to get some good ones too.
  • Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    imalive wrote:
    I don't care whether the show in Bumfuck, Idaho was off the charts compared to the Spectrum shows.

Bumfuck, Idaho was a highly underrated show!

The show was underrated... but the after party was definitely overrated
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

I disagree. the boot isn't the same as being at the show. the crowd is one of the best (or worst if you're seeing PJ in west palm beach) variables about a concert experience.

the OP is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I think his thread title is asinine. especially since he didn't even attend shows...he attended one show.

people post shit just to get a rise out of others. I guess he succeeded if that's what his intentions are. I just don't see the point...I have better things to do with my time
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    JaneNY wrote:
    Sound quality..... I remember someone posting a while back (and I don't remember if it was this board or another band's board) that they realized that part of their problem with perception of sound quality was related to their own hearing damage. If your hearing isn't 100%, you might think the sound isn't that good, but you don't have full facilities to judge. Not saying that's the case on any particular person, but perception of sound quality might be related to something to do with you, rather than what the band is putting out.

Wow...I've never seen PJ defended like this. Fucking ridiculous.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    DewieCox wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    Sound quality..... I remember someone posting a while back (and I don't remember if it was this board or another band's board) that they realized that part of their problem with perception of sound quality was related to their own hearing damage. If your hearing isn't 100%, you might think the sound isn't that good, but you don't have full facilities to judge. Not saying that's the case on any particular person, but perception of sound quality might be related to something to do with you, rather than what the band is putting out.

Wow...I've never seen PJ defended like this. Fucking ridiculous.
    +1... I would think if your hearing is damaged (as I know mine is becoming), you can still differentiate between good sound and bad sound - it's just that both will sound worse.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Anyone who can find something wrong with these shows are just mad they didnt go. I have been to 16 pj shows (philly being my 11th, 12th,13th and 14th) and i can tell you that there was nothing in the world that could compare. Pearl jam ALWAYS throws down for Philly and it seemed like the four shows and holiday really added to the experience and energy. I've been to alot of exciting pj shows but these shows really took it to a whole other level(the spectrum video and Rocky intro still gives me chills and gets me excited when i think about it) Not only were the set list so unique that we'll never see ones like it again but the band was on FIAHHHH. If the shows were overrated or had sucked.. i would be pissed that i spent so much money but i can tell you, first hand.. there is nothing overrated at all about those four shows :P I mean for christ sakes.. we had a magical moment with vedward and an accordion.. thats the kind of shit that dreams are made of! So don't be a hater.. and don't judge shows you didn't actually attend ;) Sort of like giving a movie review of a movie you've never laid eyes on..

PS. whats up with leaving off the rocky intro off of the official philly boots? I was quite sad :cry: Thank god for crowd bootlegs...
  • Options
    So I've been watching this thread for a while and thinking....So the last few tours I've noticed have been considerably shorter than usual. Probably cuz pretty much everyone in the band has a wife and kids (families)now and they don't want to be away from them for too long. Just assuming. But 2008/2009/2010 have been considerably shorter sets of tours compared to 2006, 2003, and 2000. This may have something to do with "sloppy" play. The longer tours the band seem to get tighter and tighter as the tour goes on. Especially the fact that they have more time to work out the songs they want to play or that the fans want to hear during soundchecks and during the shows themselves. And as we all know practice makes perfect, so I think that maybe the band doesn't have as much time to work on such a huge catalog of music within a short period of time or tour for that matter. If u look back on 2006, 2003, and 2000 you'll see that they start playing similar setlists in the beginning and then as they become accustomed to playing they start to break out some of the more deeper tracks. U can really hear how tight they get from beginning to end if u have the boots the listen to. Now between the San Diego 2009 show and the first Philly show the band had just under a month off, so who knows how the Philly shows would have been had the band continued to play instead of taking that time off. Possibly much tighter and much tighter shows. On this last tour I think the band was just starting to reach their peak when the tour ended in NYC. I for one on a personal level hope that the next tour is longer so we can get an even tighter pj like we saw in 2006, 2003, and 2000. I love this band no matter what, but I'm just adding in a possibilty on why the Philly shows were a little more "sloppy" than usual, and not the usual pj tight. Later
    Foo4Everlong
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    So I've been watching this thread for a while and thinking....So the last few tours I've noticed have been considerably shorter than usual. Probably cuz pretty much everyone in the band has a wife and kids (families)now and they don't want to be away from them for too long. Just assuming. But 2008/2009/2010 have been considerably shorter sets of tours compared to 2006, 2003, and 2000. This may have something to do with "sloppy" play. The longer tours the band seem to get tighter and tighter as the tour goes on. Especially the fact that they have more time to work out the songs they want to play or that the fans want to hear during soundchecks and during the shows themselves. And as we all know practice makes perfect, so I think that maybe the band doesn't have as much time to work on such a huge catalog of music within a short period of time or tour for that matter. If u look back on 2006, 2003, and 2000 you'll see that they start playing similar setlists in the beginning and then as they become accustomed to playing they start to break out some of the more deeper tracks. U can really hear how tight they get from beginning to end if u have the boots the listen to. Now between the San Diego 2009 show and the first Philly show the band had just under a month off, so who knows how the Philly shows would have been had the band continued to play instead of taking that time off. Possibly much tighter and much tighter shows. On this last tour I think the band was just starting to reach their peak when the tour ended in NYC. I for one on a personal level hope that the next tour is longer so we can get an even tighter pj like we saw in 2006, 2003, and 2000. I love this band no matter what, but I'm just adding in a possibilty on why the Philly shows were a little more "sloppy" than usual, and not the usual pj tight. Later

Ill agree there- MSG2 was amazing on almost every song- esp RVM which is not an easy song.
    Philly 1 sounds tighter to me than the others, so I dont know what that says about anything else. Its possible Philly 4 sounds so sloppy because they played a bunch of shows back to back and probably up late most nights with the games in the area instead of taking time to relax on travel.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    don't agree with the OP but who cares seriously.. they were great epic shows some would argue they tried too many songs in the week making some of it look a little messy but the boots speak for themselves... fantastic set of shows.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    What are you talking about? OCTOBER 30TH -IN HIDING- DEEP.....FREAKIN AMAZING! Come on now....you're kidding me, right? You can't compare songs that have been sung 10-12 years ago to their concerts now. I think they are definitely holding their own guys. Stamina baby!!!! So they fuck up a few songs...don't they always? If you've been listening for the last 20 years, you should be expecting this. It's not a good live concert unless they fuck up Evolution or Satan's Bed. Shorter concerts???? What??? Any band would love to be able to sing 43 songs in a row after drinking 6 bottles of wine. May be your opinion, but the majority of us, I do believe, disagree. We took three 16 year olds to the Phila concert and they couldn't even keep up. PJ is the best and will always be. :!:
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

You can only attend a concert once. Once it's over, it's over.

Bootlegs last forever.

This thread is about the bootlegs, and how they reveal Philly to be the sloppiest PJ shows ever. The evdience is there. It's right fucking there. Listen to them.

Don't give me that bullshit line that I can't give an opinion about a show if I wasn't there. It's moronic.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

This thread is about the bootlegs, and how they reveal Philly to be the sloppiest PJ shows ever. The evdience is there. It's right fucking there. Listen to them.

then you need to change the title of your thread...

seriously, where are you from? I'll bet money you live in pittsburgh. haters out there...for no reason
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    seriously, where are you from? I'll bet money you live in pittsburgh. haters out there...for no reason

Get real. I don't care if the shows were played in Bumblefuck, South Dakota. They still suck.
  • Options
    I'd like to know where u r from as well evac.

And the only real "sloppy" show I heard from last tour was austin. I still love that show, but they were sloppy there.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    JW0422JW0422 Posts: 170
    Dude you are entitled to your opinion whether the shows were sloppy or not I enjoyed the two shows I went to (30th & 31st) and I enjoy the boots as well the sound quality is pretty damn good, if you don't like the bootlegs then don't listen to them I have been listening to them since I got them on last Saturday and I really enjoy them! brings back the memory of being there!
  • Options
    THE SHOWS WERE GREAT. Eddie said it best after he messes up Comeback on Night 2.

" We can do whatever we want, they can't kick us out" Or something like that. Those are the best moments.

And a show just doesn't last one night. The bootlegs bring you back to exact moments from those nights and they give you goosebumps, make you smile, make you sing, etc. They live on forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm not perfect, so why does Pearl Jam have to be??????????????????????????????????????
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Get real. I don't care if the shows were played in Bumblefuck, South Dakota. They still suck.

You're entitled to think whatever you want about the shows. I could care less.

Personally, I wouldn't start a thread or knock shows that I didn't even attend. The boots don't give you the entire concert experience. If you wanted to say you think philly 2 was the most overrated show of all time, I would disagree, but do so respectfully since you said you were there.

If your thread title said the philly boots were overrated, that would make a lot more sense.

It's funny that you won't admit you're from pittsburgh. I will never understand the hatred you people in western PA have for philly.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    The Fixer wrote:

stupid

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

You can only attend a concert once. Once it's over, it's over.

Bootlegs last forever.

Don't give me that bullshit line that I can't give an opinion about a show if I wasn't there. It's moronic.

Its a hit or miss with official bootlegs.. being such a fan you should know this .. I'll send you a crowd version of the show.. that will shut ya up :mrgreen: For someone with such a cool user name.. you'd think you'd be a little more open minded.. seriously.. let me change your mind.. Open this and use an equalizer and set it to a basic setting (i use flat, and it seems to work do it justice at least)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YWhN ... NkZFQlE9PQ

you can thank me later;) because it will make your souls get excited..
    Picture the crowd.. pumped up and not yet with flu(so REALLY energetic).... viewing awesome basketball/clips and then when the crowd gets really loud is when TEN appears ..
    *ROCKY THEME INTRO*

"Everybody ready??????????????""""""

just a taste;)
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Surprise! Philly hate coming from someone with "tiki barber" screen name.[
    /quote]

surprise. another moron. you probably didn't even read my post. and if you did, you should work on your reading comprehension skills, because there is no philly hate coming from me. just agreeing with the op about the sloppiness of the performances. the camden shows in '06 were some of my favorite pearl jam shows i've attended.

You said they fucked up every other song. They did not. You said the sound was shit in the building. And you were disappointed during the shows. AND that these shows r in the bottom of all the shows you've seen. That is a good deal of dislike if not hate

well let me explain this to you since you don't seem to understand my post. you seem to be taking sentences out of context to make me out to be a scrooge. i've seen a few pearl jam shows in my day, and i've had a great time at every one of them, including the philly shows we are speaking of. all i was trying to do was defend the op from all the attacks, because i think he had a point. pearl jam, although an amazing concert experience, is a notoriously sloppy live band. out of the 16 shows i've seen, i would rank the last two spectrum somewhere in the bottom 8. this was due to bad sound quality in the building (from my bad seats) and the sloppy peformance from the band. how this equates to a good deal of dislike or hate is beyond me. i think you are just assuming.

as far as saying they fucked up every other song, although you can quote me saying something like that, it's not what i meant. i said that in the context of the general discussion in this thread. someone was saying something about how pearl jam should be expected to fuck up every other song because of the length of their shows and the fact that they switch up their setlists unlike the rest of the bands out there. i was just making a point that there are bands out there that play 3+ hour sets, switch up the setlists and are much tighter than pj. this is nothing against the shows or the band. they were great concerts, they just weren't my personal favorites.

...by the way, although sloppy certainly isn't a positive thing to say about the show, it's not that negative either. pj has been pretty sloppy at probably about 30% of the shows i've seen, and i still thought they were great. they are a rock-n-roll band. what appeals to me most about pj isn't their musicianship, it is their songs and the passion of their performances. you can hear that passion on these philly boots and the sound quality is phenomenal. i couldn't feel the passion at those shows because the sound sucked and i was far away. is this the most over-rated pj show ever? that's an impossible statement to prove one way or the other, as it's all about personal opinion and experience....but... if the tightness and peformances of individual songs is considered when ranking their best shows, then yeah, this one has been pretty over-rated in that sense. like the op said, it was a sloppy show. that was a fact he stated. that equates to a fair point in my world...which is why i felt compelled to defend him/her from the backlash.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited June 2010
    I wasn't able to attend the Philly shows,we were in Europe on vacation.
    So $60.00 (which is less than tickets to just 1 show) seems like a bargain to me, for 9 discs of 4 shows with over 140 songs!
    Where else can you get so much great music for this price?
    Even if there are a few flubbed lyrics, I'm looking forward to getting my box set.
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Where did this east vs. west PA thing get started? Love the name calling. Makes me wonder how you all would treat each other in person. Embarassing that we happen to enjoy the same band. Really.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:
    I wasn't able to attend the Philly shows,we were in Europe on vacation.
    So $60.00 (which is less than tickets to just 1 show) seems like a bargain to me, for 9 discs of 4 shows with over 140 songs!
    Where else can you get so much great music for this price?
    Even if there are a few flubbed lyrics, I'm looking forward to getting my box set.
    AMEN :mrgreen:
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    Can we just let this pointless thread die already? It's becoming such an eye sore.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Can we just let this pointless thread die already? It's becoming such an eye sore.

How is it pointless? Obviously I made a good point, otherwise you wouldn't be whining about it.
  • Options

How is it pointless? Obviously I made a good point, otherwise you wouldn't be whining like a little girl.

You made your point 20 some odd pages ago. We all get it. You didn't like the shows and think they were overrated. Who cares anymore? It's just mindless arguing over something that is purely subjective in nature anyway. It's all this over talked "I think this, I think that , no you're wrong, it's this way and how could you think that" dribble. Everyones feelings were known by page 5. After that it's just people saying you are a joke and you repeating the same tired banter 150 times. It's time for this to be locked already. there is nothing new in it and you (Evacuation Rules) just keep bumping it to see if you can piss any other people off.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options

How is it pointless? Obviously I made a good point, otherwise you wouldn't be whining like a little girl.

You made your point 20 some odd pages ago. We all get it. You didn't like the shows and think they were overrated. Who cares anymore? It's just mindless arguing over something that is purely subjective in nature anyway. It's all this over talked "I think this, I think that , no you're wrong, it's this way and how could you think that" dribble. Everyones feelings were known by page 5. After that it's just people saying you are a joke and you repeating the same tired banter 150 times. It's time for this to be locked already. there is nothing new in it and you (Evacuation Rules) just keep bumping it to see if you can piss any other people off.

9iqu11.jpg
This discussion has been closed.