Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I'm $$$~Saving~$$$ for the Philly 'BOOTS'...:)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DewieCox wrote:
    Parksy wrote:
    How many other bands or musical acts get paid millions...

and how many other musical acts and bands get paid MORE than Pearl Jam and only learn 20 songs per tour???

Not very many. I'd guess they clear more than a million every time they show up to play.

There's not many bands in the world that make more than PJ.

How many band get paid infinitely less and learn 10x the songs, and play them correctly?

Sombody did the math in another thread, but i think it said 11 shows 143 different songs, pretty good, also to the two shows i went too, i didn't here any mistakes, altho i was pretty drunk.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456
    To all you people that think this is a stupid thread and how dare someone say that Pearl Jam isn't perfect. YOU people need to stop taking someone's opinion so personally. What's wrong with pointing out that a particular show or shows are over-rated? I don't doubt for one second that being at Philly 3 would have been incredible, I would have loved to have been there. My problem is that this show was talked up like it was the greatest PJ show of all time! After listening to the Bootleg I feel that it's not even close, the band just didn't play that well. Why get defensive about that? Again it's not a personal attack and we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we?

I don't think this a stupid thread. I find it kind of entertaining. I know what you mean when you say that a particular show is oevr-rated. I was at MSG 2, and i made some comments(sound was just OK, and the rarities they played were just OK too), that i think that show's been over -rated, and that was a real GOOD show. I had some call me crazy, which is alright with me, as i can't let some words on a message board bother me> :lol:

I've listen to these boots a few times now, and they sound fine to me. Especially Philly 3. You may not think the band didn't play that well, but i did. Just like others thought MSG 2 from 2010 was the best thing since slice bread, but i didn't think so. Like you said, were all entitled to our opinions.

Lets all be thankfull will still have shows TODAY, to debate. I know i am!!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    RiotZact wrote:
    Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of funny and unique when ed or anyone else messes up? I love it when stone forgets the riff in thin air at benny hall, and when ed forgets or mixes up the lyrics in evolution.

No. I agree with ya :D I was actually just thinking that there have been a few flubbs at the shows I have been too. They just happen. The band is human, instruments break, timing signature gets thrown off from time to time depending on amp situations.

2 of my fave moments:
    1rst show String breaks on Uke during "soon forget" and Ed stops tinkers with the strings and goes "it BROKE"- crowd roared with laughter. He winged his way through the rest- it was great.
    2nd one was at ACL during Ederly woman. Love how Ed goes "shit I forgot the words" and the crowd is singing the song and eases him right back into it. Awesome.

Screw ups happen at live performances. People need to relax. To me it is all about the show as a whole witnessing everything not just from Pearl jam.

BTW, love that part on the benny boot you mentioned. I love how stone plays it right at the end of the song, and Ed goes "there was no chance of getting away with that one."- classic :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    DewieCox wrote:
    Parksy wrote:

and how many other musical acts and bands get paid MORE than Pearl Jam and only learn 20 songs per tour???

Not very many. I'd guess they clear more than a million every time they show up to play.

How many band get paid infinitely less and learn 10x the songs, and play them correctly?

How is that even possible when the best seats in the house for a Pearl Jam concert are $90. (average)

now look at the likes of: The Eagles, Coldplay, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Roger Waters... and so on... They sell out venues everywhere they go.. usually playing bigger venues... and charge double the price for the best seats in the house. So where does "not very many" come from?

You cannot deny that Pearl Jam charge less and play more...

whereas all other musical acts that are as popular as Pearl Jam charge more and play less. So to say, you're making tons of money, you should be going out and playing 120+ songs might make sense, but realistically why are we criticizing the band who gives audiences the most bang for their buck?

And memorizing the words and music to a 120+ songs cannot be easy. I'm not saying this out of knowledge, it's more of a guess to me.

It's like criticizing the basketball player who makes the most money should sink every basket and get every rebound.... when realistically no one is perfect.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    KO282453 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Parksy wrote:

Sombody did the math in another thread, but i think it said 11 shows 143 different songs, pretty good, also to the two shows i went too, i didn't here any mistakes, altho i was pretty drunk.

Yeah so according to dewie theres bands out there who play 1,430 songs and play them all corectly, wow I need to go to one of their shows! :roll:
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I know it's fashionable to blast Creed, but Pity for a Dime was a damn good song. Do I get kicked out of Ten Club now? Sorry to go off-topic.[/quote]
    No. I actually have Creeds Debut album that I got for my birthday after seeing them at a festival. The debut really is not that bad. Once they publically got labeled a pearl jam rip off did this board start hating on them. Don't see much Alter Bridge bashing here- which proves my point that they are hated here because they were publically labeled a pearl jam rip off on Behind the music and the bass player was fired for trashing pj on Seattle radio which was completely stupid cause Creed was non existant when pearl jam was taking over the world musically- that's what I found so funny about that whole deal. :) Ok, back on topic of reading the funny arguments on the philly boots :roll: :).
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Seb77Seb77 Amsterdam Posts: 78
    Philly 4: Great night, not so great crowd and some messy performances nonetheless.
    Rotterdam 2009: Exceptional crowd, fantastic band performance.

Nijmegen and BERLIN coming up....Yeah!
    Nijmegen 2007 Rotterdam 2009 Philadelphia 4 2009 Nijmegen 2010 Berlin 2010 Amsterdam 1&2 2012 Arras 2012 Amsterdam 1&2 2014
    Amsterdam 1&2 Pinkpop Berlin 2018
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    I have no problem with the OP... however, for someone to suggest that the Spectrum is not an historic venue is ridiculous. The sheer number of acts that have played there is incredible, spanning every music genre over 4 decades... there is no music or sports fan from 1967-200X that has not heard of the place... it is synonymous with basketball and hockey and music for millions of fans.

You can put all that aside... as far as I am concerned, the Spectrum is an historic venue, if for no other reason, because Pearl Jam played the final 4 nights to close the place after 42 years...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    phungi wrote:
    I have no problem with the OP... however, for someone to suggest that the Spectrum is not an historic venue is ridiculous. The sheer number of acts that have played there is incredible, spanning every music genre over 4 decades... there is no music or sports fan from 1967-200X that has not heard of the place... it is synonymous with basketball and hockey and music for millions of fans.

You can put all that aside... as far as I am concerned, the Spectrum is an historic venue, if for no other reason, because Pearl Jam played the final 4 nights to close the place after 42 years...

History doesn't mean historic.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    phungi wrote:

History doesn't mean historic.

The 1st 2 rocky movies were historic, thats a fact.
  • Options
    DollarDollar Posts: 237
    Parksy wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Parksy wrote:

How is that even possible when the best seats in the house for a Pearl Jam concert are $90. (average)

now look at the likes of: The Eagles, Coldplay, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Roger Waters... and so on... They sell out venues everywhere they go.. usually playing bigger venues... and charge double the price for the best seats in the house. So where does "not very many" come from?

You cannot deny that Pearl Jam charge less and play more...

whereas all other musical acts that are as popular as Pearl Jam charge more and play less. So to say, you're making tons of money, you should be going out and playing 120+ songs might make sense, but realistically why are we criticizing the band who gives audiences the most bang for their buck?

And memorizing the words and music to a 120+ songs cannot be easy. I'm not saying this out of knowledge, it's more of a guess to me.

It's like criticizing the basketball player who makes the most money should sink every basket and get every rebound.... when realistically no one is perfect.

As both a PJ/Bruce fan,you're wrong about his ticket prices. They are comparable to PJs!
  • Options
    PaleBrandonPaleBrandon Posts: 66
    go fuck ya self...philly rocked!! this band has played these songs for years and i don't care how shitty you think they sounded, i'm glad they are still playing them.
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I highly doubt the OP has bought every bootleg the band has ever made and if he did, what a colossal waste of money(In My opinion). By the way can we see a picture of all of your live bootleg collections?

pjboots.jpg

Waste of money, or any good PJ concert at my fingertips? Lord knows that I know a good PJ boot from a bad one.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I highly doubt the OP has bought every bootleg the band has ever made and if he did, what a colossal waste of money(In My opinion). By the way can we see a picture of all of your live bootleg collections?

pjboots.jpg

Waste of money, or any good PJ concert at my fingertips? Lord knows that I know a good PJ boot from a bad one.
    :lol:
    You showed him! Kudos - that looks like one hell of a collection.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    You showed him! Kudos - that looks like one hell of a collection.

10 years in the making. 8-)
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I used to collect shows like crazy but after 2005 I stopped. I just buy a few now and then and maybe some of the shows I've been too. But I don't need or want 100 versions of Even Flow. lol
  • Options
    But I don't need or want 100 versions of Even Flow. lol

Does anybody? :lol:
  • Options
    watk7881watk7881 Posts: 43
    I was at Philly 1 and MSG 1 2010 - MSG was mediocre - Philly 1 was awesome. Also, I like the mistakes - if you want perfection, listen to the studio recordings.
  • Options
    watk7881 wrote:
    I was at Philly 1 and MSG 1 2010 - MSG was mediocre - Philly 1 was awesome. Also, I like the mistakes - if you want perfection, listen to the studio recordings.

Nice! try that one on for size philly show haters!

I experienced my first pj concert ever at philly one, it was preety awesome.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456

pjboots.jpg

Not eaxctly. I have a shit load of boots too, but that doesn't mean i know a good boot from a bad one. Its just MY opinion, of whats a good or bad boot. You think Philly '09 is over-rated, but i think there good boots. You see: just a matter of opinion.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    cutz wrote:

Not eaxctly. I have a shit load of boots too, but that doesn't mean i know a good boot from a bad one. Its just MY opinion, of whats a good or bad boot. You think Philly '09 is over-rated, but i think there good boots. You see: just a matter of opinion.

a) I love this evacuation rules guy! :mrgreen:

b) He went over there vs. their, earlier. now we need to add "they're."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I think Philly 3 was a great show, that I had a lot of fun at, and appreciated getting to hear some rarities like Hold On.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I'm listening to Philly 4 right now. It's just fun. Yea there's mistake but man it's great. Jeremy-inside job-bugs- porch just kicked my ass.
    But yea MSG2 was better ;)
  • Options
    cutz wrote:

That really sucks for you that you have a shit load of boots but have no idea what makes a good one!
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Philly 09 was just as good as it was hyped. Bottom line. Went to 3/4 shows and each was better than the next.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    I've been listening to the boots and they are fine gigs, i don't know what's the big problem, I'm enjoying them but i would enjoy them even more if I've attended. I guess you've got to be there to really appreciate the magnitude of the gigs.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Ok, just listened to Philly 3 and it was exactly how I remembered it...phan-phucking-tastic! Maybe the next time PJ hits the Op's town they'll just walk out and press play on a tape machine. I think his ID on the Milli Vanilli board is Blame It On The Rain Rules.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643

pjboots.jpg

sweet! i want...
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    Just for the record, something can be good, and still be over-rated. I think a lot of people on this board who weren't at the Philly shows think they were overrated. I just went to three shows this month, and they were all fantastic. No maybe I didnt get to hear Bugs or Sweet Lew, but my life certainly won't suffer for that. PJ plays great shows 95% of the time, with a dud or two thrown into each leg, and those are still better than a lot of other bands.

But as for the specific topic, I did not go to the Philly shows, nor did I buy the boots. If PJ would have put the Philly boots on sale right away, I probably would have bought them, but they gave me way too much time to think about it, and I would mainly only be paying for the rarities. I think the only songs they played that I don't otherwise own a soundboard live version of were Push Me Pull Me, Hold On, Bugs, Whip It and Sweet Lew. And that really wasn't enough to get me to pay $60.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
This discussion has been closed.