Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    robbyblaylockrobbyblaylock Posts: 428
    PLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE.......

lets call a spade a spade folks.

why cant people voice their dislike for the philly shows/boots? why cant people say msg wasnt that great? whether they were there or not, everyone has an opinion. when it comes to this band, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

for years ive said over and over that i felt...I....AS IN ME...felt that state college was overrated.

but thousands of others loved that show. who am i to tell them they are wrong. i didnt think the show translated well on boot (though i still praise porch from that night). but i wasnt there. also, even if people werent there, they still praised the boot.

i was at all six philly 09/msg 10 shows. i loved the experience. were there flaws? look, everyone drops the ball. part of the reason i love this band is because they are human and humans make mistakes. for every botch ive seen this band make they acknowledge it and have fun with it. i love the "its stones fault" joke or when ed looks to the crowd for help.

it was said weeks...possibly months ago...the idea of the upper echelon (right word) of shows will also be debated. the most beautiful thing about this band is the fact that we have had so many epic, memorable shows/moments to debate over. i shouldnt say debate. we have so many shows to celebrate.

however, just as equally, we have so many opinions to share and discuss. but thats where it should end...discuss. we shouldnt tear people down for disliking a show. i cant wait to get all 6 boots. summer will be beautiful with a nice fire going, a cold beer in hand and a perfectly imperfect amazing, life changing band playing on my speakers.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    R u joking? U must not have been there. They killed EVERY song and Eds voice was perfect.

No, i'm not joking and i was there. The sound at MSG was just OK, so that doesn't help. It wasn't bad but it could've been better. Was phsyced when i heard Breath so early in the set, but Ed messed up the lyrics(i've listen to a AUD boot). The few rarities they did were ok, not great. PMPM just doesn't go over well live. Was really glad to hear Black Red Yellow, but that was just ok too. I was really unimpressed with the first encore, except RVM was GREAT. Sweet Lew? Really dug Hunger Strike though. I just think if that same show was played in any other city or venue, it would barely be talked about. I don't let the city or venue affect me when it comes to concerts, or the crowd.[/quote]

You r completely out of your mind. I kind of feel bad for you. You must be miserable.[/quote]

Going a little over board, with that completely out of mind comment, don't you think? I'm sane, trust me. No need to feel bad for me. I guess you didn't read the first line, where i said the sound was just ok, from where i was sitting so that didn't help. Hey! I thought it was a hell of a show, but not as GREAT as alot of others think. Oh yea, i"m anything but miserable.
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    My intention is NOT to shit on people who were there and had a good time. I totally understand that. It was an exciting time! The problem is that the official bootlegs give you an ACCURATE representation of what went on onstage. This is what people are going to listen to into infinity. You can never re-live the experience of a show again. You're stuck with the bootleg. And these Philly bootlegs prove that these performances really weren't that great. Listen to them. The evidence is there. That is my point. People need to forget what a great time they had at the show and listen to the bootleg objectively. And as others have pointed out, a show might look good on paper but that doesn't mean shit if the performance is no good.
  • Options
    TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    Your point is a smiley face jacking off.

That is your point.

That is why you make yourself look silly.
  • Options
    ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    Cutz - fine, I take back the out of your mind comment. (Not sure about the miserable yet! :) ). Tell me hen where u saw them that was "good sound" in your opinion. I'm 36. I've been to a lot of shows. I've made music tv and filmed many shows from front row. Msg2 was the best rock show I have ever witnessed.

The band was on fire. Maybe the sound was so bad whereever you were that u didn't even hear what was happening (joke).
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i think nights 1, 2, and 3 sounded phenomenal!! night 4 was a bit more sloppy because of all the songs but it was still awesome! i cannot agree with this at all! they were ON for alotttt of this!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

oh for fucks sake don't tell me this. i just spent the $60 on the set.
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

I bought it too. I want to have it my collection. Doesn't mean I'll be listening to it. :lol:
  • Options
    ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    Evacuation-

You should really take back the "slaughter every song" comment. THAT is RIDICULOUS!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    for fu@%'s sake some of the people on this board are rediculous.

honeslty its not even worth responding to

judging a show that you werent at by listening to the boot?!!?
    judging a show you werent out only on reading the setlist?!

really ahhaahaha its hilarious to me. i love the pearl jam community and everything about it..but i have never ever ever seen such a snot nosed, self absorbed, whoa is me fanbase in my life. and i have been seeing live music for decades. get over yourself and what you think you deserve. the philly shows were some of the most amazing concerts i have ever seen. were they the best shows i have ever seen period...no. but as far as pearl jam performances they are at the top of the list.

it is a never ending argument that runs in circles and circles and circles. it will never end..yet people have to voice their displeasure/thoughts/opinions on every show. get over it.

end rant
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    TheOx wrote:
    Evacuation Rules,

If you do not like the spontaneity and f*ck all attitude that goes into giving fans a rare or exciting experience then go see shows that feature the same setlist every single night. Bands that carry this many songs in their repertoire are not going to give you studio quality shows every night. That is the point. The Who Live at Leeds does not sound like an album cut. That is the greatness of it.

Either you are so incredibly spoiled by this band or you have no conception of what it is that you are getting at a live concert or on a recording of that concert. People on this board gripe and rate and rank all these things and it really misses the point a lot of the time. I realize part of this board is to say how you feel but I really think you have missed the mark with your criticism of these shows.

Have you listened to Hold On from Night 3? I was in the first row and it sounded perfect. They had never played that before. I listened to it on the boot and it sounded great as well. Ed flubs up lyrics a lot, but at least he is not reading them from a teleprompter like a lot of comparable musicians do today (the Boss amongst them). As far as them playing the wrong chords...that is not true. You can't play the wrong chords and have the same song. You may miss a chord change or be late on it but they are not playing different chords.

My suggestion: stick to bands who edit their live shows to sound like the studio or listen to the records if you are not going to glory in the fact that you are hearing something special and something historic. Satan's Bed in State College was only bad if you were not there and not stoked that they were even trying it for the sake of their fans who were holding up signs begging them to play it.

game. blouses. what do you want in your pancakes?

the OP is obviously from pittsburgh...for whatever reason they hate philly in western PA
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078

don't be nervous and don't let his opinion sway you. just because he thinks it's bad doesn't mean you will :) i for one thought they sounded great but to each their own.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    untilted on pj radio philly 3 sounds amazing
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    jets521 wrote:
    for fu@%'s sake some of the people on this board are rediculous.

honeslty its not even worth responding to

judging a show that you werent at by listening to the boot?!!?
    judging a show you werent out only on reading the setlist?!

really ahhaahaha its hilarious to me. i love the pearl jam community and everything about it..but i have never ever ever seen such a snot nosed, self absorbed, whoa is me fanbase in my life. and i have been seeing live music for decades. get over yourself and what you think you deserve. the philly shows were some of the most amazing concerts i have ever seen. were they the best shows i have ever seen period...no. but as far as pearl jam performances they are at the top of the list.

it is a never ending argument that runs in circles and circles and circles. it will never end..yet people have to voice their displeasure/thoughts/opinions on every show. get over it.

end rant

i quote: "it's not even worth responding to" lol you have quite the response there.
    i'm pretty sure one can judge a show just by looking at the setlist... if i were to see a setlist comprised mainly of riot act, i'm gonna believe that the show is going to blow. it doesn't matter how good they sound or how much energy they have.
  • Options
    I think everyone should just chill out. So this guy didn't like the shows. So what? That is his opinion and thats fine. Personally I loved them though Night 2 was my least favorite and I do think they were a little off that night. If you spent $60 on the box then you love this band and most likely you'll love the boots. Just like he isn't letting others affect his opinion of these shows, don't let him influence you. I haven't listened to the boots yet but I know especially night 3 i thought they sounded great to ME. MSG 2 rocked as well BTW. When you go to a show there are what 10-20K people there depending on venue. If 95% love it, that leaves 500-1,000 people dissatisfied. There are people who hate Star Wars, Avatar, Batman. Its cool if you enjoyed, then awesome, if not sucks for you!
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I haven't heard the boots yet. Still waiting on the box but there is a simple answer to all this.

A great SHOW (or in this case SHOWS) does not always translate into a great BOOTLEG! When you're at a show you are in the moment. There are a lot of factors that make a show a great experience. It's rare that you're going to capture the vibe of a show on a bootleg.

For me personally I had a blast at the shows while I was there. I carry those memories with me forever. If I listen to the bootlegs and they're not that great... fine. I still have the memories and a cool box set of some of the greatest live experiences this band has ever put on. It was a 4 day party in Philly. That's not easy to capture on a recording.
  • Options
    EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    001pearljamev5426.jpg

Sincerely,

ED
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    My3rdEye wrote:
    I haven't heard the boots yet. Still waiting on the box but there is a simple answer to all this.

A great SHOW (or in this case SHOWS) does not always translate into a great BOOTLEG! When you're at a show you are in the moment. There are a lot of factors that make a show a great experience. It's rare that you're going to capture the vibe of a show on a bootleg.

For me personally I had a blast at the shows while I was there. I carry those memories with me forever. If I listen to the bootlegs and they're not that great... fine. I still have the memories and a cool box set of some of the greatest live experiences this band has ever put on. It was a 4 day party in Philly. That's not easy to capture on a recording.
    +1.

I thought 10/30 sounded great. I have audience recordings of 10/27 and 10/28 that sound good as well.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    Im interested to hear this now. I was at the shows and dont remember them to be anything short of glorious.
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    I think everyone should just chill out. So this guy didn't like the shows. So what? That is his opinion and thats fine. Personally I loved them though Night 2 was my least favorite and I do think they were a little off that night. If you spent $60 on the box then you love this band and most likely you'll love the boots. Just like he isn't letting others affect his opinion of these shows, don't let him influence you. I haven't listened to the boots yet but I know especially night 3 i thought they sounded great to ME. MSG 2 rocked as well BTW. When you go to a show there are what 10-20K people there depending on venue. If 95% love it, that leaves 500-1,000 people dissatisfied. There are people who hate Star Wars, Avatar, Batman. Its cool if you enjoyed, then awesome, if not sucks for you!

+1 (and then some).

love it? hate it? just LISTEN to the boots, then decide. and if you hate it, there's loads more boots (as well as the studio albums) out there with those songs so you're not going to be short of choices to hear the songs played the way YOU want to hear them.

hype is what people make of something and ironically these shows are probably now, as a result of this thread, even more hyped than before. i for one, can't WAIT to get my hands on my box set to listen for myself to see what all the fuss is about!

but the point is still - do the music from these shows do anyting for YOU. if it doesn't, just move on and listen to something else. life's too short and it's only rock n' roll etc etc....
  • Options
    I have been to 27 PJ shows so far and Philly nights 3+4 are still my favorites. Ordering the box set is just a plus from my favorite PJ run ever!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    I thought we learned about MSG2 that it was all about the vibe in the room? Now even if there was a good vibe in Philly it can't be a good show? This board is garbage sometimes.

You can barely make out anything PJ does during a show because the sound is so muddy anyway. Concerts are a live experience.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,754
    You can barely make out anything PJ does during a show because the sound is so muddy anyway. Concerts are a live experience.
    Exactly. Perhaps it is BOOTLEGS that are over-rated...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I have to step out on the limb with Evacuation Rules here. I'll walk half way down the limb bc most importantly, I too believe that Evacuation rules.
    I'll walk to the edge in regards to these Philly shows. When I bought the boots I was expecting to hear the greatest 3 shows I'd ever hear. They simply are not. I think the band sounded MUCH better on this last little 10' run. The Philly set list were great, there were obviously great crowds and energy, but there is no way these Philly shows should be labeled as some of the best ever...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    to be honest i have been listening to pearl jam shows religiously over the past 18 years, so it really doesnt faze me as much when the band eff's up or when ed realy flubbs the lyrics... its those eff ups that keep it kinda fun...ed and the boys usually aknowledge when they screw up...having said that i had the time of my life in philly... i would have to say those were some of the best performances EVER ... at least until msg II 2010 creeped up that is :)
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,498
    you want perfection go see Justin Beiber or some other one set overchoreographed BS

Thats part of what makes PJ so good, its just a good ole rock n roll band up there with a lead singer that knows MOST of the words to an unbelievable number of songs

night 3 was one of the most enjoyable PJ experiences Ive ever had-I dont really care if Ed blows a line or six because he is drinking or he gets lost in the song or whatever
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    DeLukin wrote:

I agree 100%. I don't understand why people need copies of every show. I used to collect bootlegs, but I don't even listen to half the bootlegs from shows I've been to anymore. I think that is partly due to the credit of Pearl Jam being so consistent that one show isn't all the much better than another. Also, I don't think I'm a superfan anymore like I was 8 years ago. It would suck to only listen to one band religiously.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

I only have night 3 and 4 since those are the only ones I attended and while I would never go so far as to state your opinion about them, there is plenty of sloppiness, sure. But night 3 was a magical experience and currently sits as my favorite show, warts and all. The energy of that night cannot be captured on a bootleg, but after it showed up at my door the other day, I was all smiles listening to it.

To me, the mistakes and impromptu moments mixed in with the magic of a stellar, memorable show are the things I like best about the boots. If they just played flawlessly and robotic through the songs I could just listen to the studio versions.

That's just me. But you are right, there more than a few mistakes.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    DeLukin wrote:

I agree 100%. I don't understand why people need copies of every show. I used to collect bootlegs, but I don't even listen to half the bootlegs from shows I've been to anymore. I think that is partly due to the credit of Pearl Jam being so consistent that one show isn't all the much better than another. Also, I don't think I'm a superfan anymore like I was 8 years ago. It would suck to only listen to one band religiously.

I've gotten like this too. When they first started doing these back in 2000 I tried to get as many as I could. I must have 200 boots.

Since 2007, I only get the shows I attend and that's it. For souvenir purposes. Like buying a shirt.

I still really only listen to the boots though, rather than the albums.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Lost_DawgsLost_Dawgs Posts: 6
    The OP has his opinion, so be it. I have been to many shows since '95 (not as many as most here on the board) and can say Philly IV was incredible to be at. I was 10th row and enjoyed the show & setlist, mistakes and all. Listening to the boot doesn't capture the other little mishaps like when Ed cut his lip at the start of Porch (the crowd kept the song going) or when the intro to Inside Job was extended becuase Ed appeared to have left the stage upset, cooled off, and came back to start singing. Either way, I had a blast and now enjoy the boot.

When I listen to the Philly 2003 boot, I still think back to how hyped the crowd was even though the boot doesn't fully capture it. That was one of the most intense crowds that I have seen and definitely the best of the Philly shows that I have been to. I had the worst seats that I have ever had for a PJ show (2nd to last row, 400 level Spectrum) and had one of my best concert experiences. It's all perspective. I can't wait to hear the MSG shows from last week.
    Chicago, IL - Jul 11, 1995; Toledo, OH - Sep 22, 1996; Houston, TX - Oct 14, 2000; Philadelphia, PA - Apr 28, 2003; Camden, NJ - Jul 06, 2003; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Philadelphia, PA - Oct 03, 2005; Camden, NJ - May 27, 2006; Camden, NJ - May 28, 2006; Philadelphia, PA - Oct 31, 2009
This discussion has been closed.