Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Spectrum, no matter how great it sounds compared to other arenas, is not a good sounding venue.

It's not one of the most historic buildings in music. It's one of the most historic venues in Philadelpia.

1) :lol:
    2) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't even dignify these quotes with a real response.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Spectrum, no matter how great it sounds compared to other arenas, is not a good sounding venue.

It's not one of the most historic buildings in music. It's one of the most historic venues in Philadelpia.

It's the truth

What makes it historic to music. If it's historic then every arena in the US is historic.

Ur tellin me it sounds as good as a venue dedicatedto music? Ridiculous!!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

It's the truth

What makes it historic to music. If it's historic then every arena in the US is historic.

I do think it is historic to music, but I agree with you that it would be absurd to assume that the Spectrum would ever sound better than a venue truly designed for music, such as Massey Hall or the Ryman Auditorium.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    DewieCox wrote:

This is what makes it historic......It is a 43 year old builing that saw a lot of acts come through it. I never said it was one of the best places to hear music, I said it was one of if not the best ARENA's to hear music. Of course music theaters such as Radio City would be better. It's like saying that Radio City is the best place to have a basketball game.

This venue has seen the original Beach Boys, The Doors, Chicago, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Rolling Stones Perform with Stevie Wonder, Elvis, Sinatra, Luciano Pavarotti.............

The Spectrum is also the ONLY venue in which the Grateful Dead have performed in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

December 9, 1980 – Bruce Springsteen Pays Tribute to John Lennon Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform a very emotional show the night after John Lennon was shot. He opened his performance that evening with a speech to the crowd: "It’s a hard world that asks you live with a lot of things that are unlivable. And it’s hard to come out here and play tonight, but there’s nothing else to do."

April 5, 1976 – Luciano Pavarotti makes historic debut at the Spectrum. At the time it was considered a landmark occasion for the iconic tenor to perform in a non-traditional opera hall(but I guess the building doesn't have good sound).

September 27, 1988 – Sinatra, Minelli and Davis in Concert. It was billed as "The Ultimate Event." It was originally to be the Rat Pack - Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Dean Martin. When Martin was sidelined to a kidney ailment, Minelli stepped in. Each artist performed individually until the end of the show when the trio performed a medley from "Guys and Dolls" and the show closer, "New York, New York."

October 7, 1994 – Grateful Dead Perform 50th Show at the Spectrum

September 24, 1999 – Bruce Springsteen Performs The Night After His 50th Birthday

Billy Joel’s six-night engagement Sept.-Oct., 1993

Pink Floyd Performs "Animals" June 29, 1977

I could keep going but I don't want to.

http://www.rememberthespectrum.com/300/Concerts.asp
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

This is what makes it historic......It is a 43 year old builing that saw a lot of acts come through it. I never said it was one of the best places to hear music, I said it was one of if not the best ARENA's to hear music. Of course music theaters such as Radio City would be better. It's like saying that Radio City is the best place to have a basketball game.

This venue has seen the original Beach Boys, The Doors, Chicago, Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Rolling Stones Perform with Stevie Wonder, Elvis, Sinatra, Luciano Pavarotti.............

The Spectrum is also the ONLY venue in which the Grateful Dead have performed in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

December 9, 1980 – Bruce Springsteen Pays Tribute to John Lennon Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform a very emotional show the night after John Lennon was shot. He opened his performance that evening with a speech to the crowd: "It’s a hard world that asks you live with a lot of things that are unlivable. And it’s hard to come out here and play tonight, but there’s nothing else to do."

April 5, 1976 – Luciano Pavarotti makes historic debut at the Spectrum. At the time it was considered a landmark occasion for the iconic tenor to perform in a non-traditional opera hall(but I guess the building doesn't have good sound).

September 27, 1988 – Sinatra, Minelli and Davis in Concert. It was billed as "The Ultimate Event." It was originally to be the Rat Pack - Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Dean Martin. When Martin was sidelined to a kidney ailment, Minelli stepped in. Each artist performed individually until the end of the show when the trio performed a medley from "Guys and Dolls" and the show closer, "New York, New York."

September 24, 1999 – Bruce Springsteen Performs The Night After His 50th Birthday

Amen!
  • Options
    cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    I don't know if I've ever read a thread where the OP says he was at a particular show, and then people pile on him by saying "But yeah, you weren't even there!"

I think I'm trapped in some sociological experiment.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options

I'm not saying there's not alotta history, but I wouldn't call much of it that historic.

Billy Joel is still playin 6 night stands or was til pretty recently

Pink Floyd did a whole tour where they played Animals, They prolly played Wish You Were Here in it's entirety at the same show.

I wouldn't call those from the Boss historic, just a coincidence. A day after his bday? What's historic about that?

And yeah, the sound blows in arenas, get over it.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I don't know if I've ever read a thread where the OP says he was at a particular show, and then people pile on him by saying "But yeah, you weren't even there!"

I think I'm trapped in some sociological experiment.
    It's because the OP is basing the four nights on his experience at one of the shows. My understanding is that the third night was better than the fourth (depending on who you ask), but that the first and second weren't as good as those two. Though correct me if I'm wrong!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Why does everything have to be so sanitized? Listen to the studio albums if you don't like the warts. Sorry, but these shows are not as terrible as some are making them out to be. Ed's vocals probably ARE the low point, but beyond Comeback, there are no train wrecks like the one attempt at Satan's Bed from '03. Fantastic setlists. I wish they used pre-recorded tracks during their live shows like U2 does ... Now THAT'S live music! ;)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm not saying there's not alotta history, but I wouldn't call much of it that historic.

Billy Joel is still playin 6 night stands or was til pretty recently

Pink Floyd did a whole tour where they played Animals, They prolly played Wish You Were Here in it's entirety at the same show.

I wouldn't call those from the Boss historic, just a coincidence. A day after his bday? What's historic about that?

And yeah, the sound blows in arenas, get over it.

I like the Spectrum and have seen everything from Pearl Jam to Michael Jordan to the WWF there. But you're right, there's nothing musically historic about it. Royal Albert Hall, Earl's Court, Madison Square Garden, Red Rocks....these are legendary venues. The Spectrum has had great artists come through as RedMosqutio22 pointed out, but I'm sure Chicago Stadium, the LA Forum or whatever has hosted all those same acts.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    The OP and the several people that have agreed with him are making me nervous for the MSG boots now.

Because really, the most vehement defenders of a show are naturally going to be the people that were there. People downright take it personally if you criticize a show they were at. They go ape, as we've seen when someone voices dissent.

But really - and I speak for myself but I bet many are the same way - I think I'd be the worst judge of how Ed and the band actually "sounded" at MSG. The crowd went completely bizerk from the moment they came on and the entire show was a 90% mass sing-along. I'm guessing Philly was similar.

At no point during the shows did I stop and really listen to the band in a critical way. I was having too much f'ucking fun! So it's really disheartening to hear that it may have been an epicly off night for the band and you wouldn't even know it. Sounds like this may be the case with The Spectrum shows. But all we have to go on are the attenders of the concerts on the message boards, who almost always give uber-glowing testimonials.

I'd like to think I will be open and honest upon hearing the MSG shows and man, do I hope they live up to the live experience! Because it sounds like, for someone who wasn't there and just got swept up in the message board hype, maybe the Philly ones do not.

This post is so true. I enjoyed the Kansas City and St Louis shows, but now that I have the boots and I listen back on them, I can hear that Ed wasn't exactly on vocally both nights. I think it's just a matter of getting older. The band is tuning down some songs half a step lower than they recorded them, and just listening to the 2003 boots you can hear how much better the band sounded. I'm not knocking the guys, so don't get all senstive, because I love this band, and I love that they put these boots out - but you can tell that the guys are in their late 40s now. It just happens. So instead of being an overly critical listener, you just have to accept that the band is going to make mistakes. I'm sure most of the people at the Philly shows had a blast, and they will get the most out of these shows. Heck, I was at the VIC show and that was the best show i've ever seen for any band in my life. However, listening back to the audience bootlegs, it doesn't really capture that magic - and I"m sure if we had an official release of those boots it wouldn't be any different.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,505
    to paraphase "hail, hail"....this is an argument that can't be won.

Thanks for the entertainment. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    When you purchase boots their is no way you won't be critical of them it's just a natural reaction, you start picking them apart because this is when you really put ears to the music while at the shows you're usually caught up in the moment and enjoying you're self to much to start analizing each song ...The same thing can be said about seeing a Movie for a 2nd or 3rd time you start nitpicking it :oops: ...With that being said i can't wait to listen to the official MSG shows 8-) ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    rlaidepeas wrote:
    I'm not knocking the guys, so don't get all senstive, because I love this band,

But you are knocking them....and it's ok. They have lost a step. Don't be afraid to be critical.
  • Options
    jerrylovesjamjerrylovesjam Posts: 132
    Don't know why this thread even had to be started, along with numerous others on this board.

Didn't mom teach you, that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it all....... :shh:

I do have something good to say: THEY WERE AWESOME SHOWS!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,505

Didn't mom teach you, that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it all....... :shh:
    this board would wither and die. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jerrylovesjamjerrylovesjam Posts: 132
    imalive wrote:

this board would wither and die. ;)[/quote

Made my night!!! :lol:
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    Wow very interesting read here! I love it. I really do. Some great debate. Debate that can only happen,in my opinion at this level with one band only, PJ baby Pj!

Speaks for itsself doesn't it? Greatest Band, Greatest Debate! You cannot debate this anywhere else for any other band! Because no other band releases all of its' live material like PJ does! Enough said.

I am an owner of approximately 200+ PJ bootlegs and have played music in a rock band about 20 years ago.

And am gettin' a little old but like Ed said in Cleveland, just more experienced, feel like I have a pretty good ear for it. And cannot wait to be the Judge Myself!!

Finally, I bought about 3/4 of the Bootlegs on the '09 tour and LA 4 and Christchurch are easily the Best in my opinion.
  • Options
    agfyagfy Posts: 133
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?
    WHATEVER!!! :roll: :evil:
    " I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    Just got mine today and me and the mister are listening to night 3 right now and it sounds pretty damn good to me!!
  • Options
    Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    Just got mine today and me and the mister are listening to night 3 right now and it sounds pretty damn good to me!!

+1 mine sound good too. :mrgreen:

but hey thanks for sharing :thumbdown: :P
  • Options
    xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
    WOW!!!! I would love to hear whatever jerkoff started this thread play over 150 songs in 4 nights, and how great he sounds on everything. Give me a friggn break.
  • Options
    xsmytx wrote:
    WOW!!!! I would love to hear whatever jerkoff started this thread play over 150 songs in 4 nights, and how great he sounds on everything. Give me a friggn break.

The band got paid millions of dollars. If that's not enough incentive to learn 150 songs I dunno what is. Hmm, maybe the adulation of the few dozen people that came to the shows? But I guess if they're not gonna hold you to a higher standard why bother?
  • Options
    SKELLERSKELLER Posts: 165
    ]The official release of the Philly shows do not... DO NOT... do justice to went down those nights.

For starters... the crowd itself was MUCH loader and involved (especially the singing) then what comes across on the releases. (Personally... I think someone dropped the ball here.)

On top of that… the Phillies were in the WS and playing right across the street. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW “CRAZY” THAT PLACE GOT WHEN THE SCORE GIRL CAME OUT SHOWING THE PHILLIES HAD THE LEAD! THE PLACE JUST ERUPTED.

The parting outside the Spectrum was insane.

On top of that.... I guarantee you.... GUARANTEE YOU .... You NEVER stepped or seen ANYTHING in the Spectrum.

My point is these shows were more then about Pearl Jam getting up there and singing. It was about the end of an era for a complex that has meant so much to true “Philadelphians”.

Pearl Jam’s respect and reverence for the Spectrum was great and no other band could have done a better job of closing it down and for that…they are the greatest shows I ever seen.

Bottom line... you missed out (and if you were there you would realize how rediculous this post is).
    "I can't tell you how many ways that I've sat and viewed my life today." - Shannon Hoon.
  • Options
    To all you people that think this is a stupid thread and how dare someone say that Pearl Jam isn't perfect. YOU people need to stop taking someone's opinion so personally. What's wrong with pointing out that a particular show or shows are over-rated? I don't doubt for one second that being at Philly 3 would have been incredible, I would have loved to have been there. My problem is that this show was talked up like it was the greatest PJ show of all time! After listening to the Bootleg I feel that it's not even close, the band just didn't play that well. Why get defensive about that? Again it's not a personal attack and we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we?
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    To all you people that think this is a stupid thread and how dare someone say that Pearl Jam isn't perfect. YOU people need to stop taking someone's opinion so personally. What's wrong with pointing out that a particular show or shows are over-rated? I don't doubt for one second that being at Philly 3 would have been incredible, I would have loved to have been there. My problem is that this show was talked up like it was the greatest PJ show of all time! After listening to the Bootleg I feel that it's not even close, the band just didn't play that well. Why get defensive about that? Again it's not a personal attack and we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we?
    + 1 .u said it all well..the bootleg proves u are right..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

I just want to say cheers to having the balls to say it. I was on the fence on buying the box set, and at $60 I'm starting to fall on the side of not getting it. so my wallet and I thank you.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    DewieCox wrote:
    xsmytx wrote:

The band got paid millions of dollars. If that's not enough incentive to learn 150 songs I dunno what is. Hmm, maybe the adulation of the few dozen people that came to the shows? But I guess if they're not gonna hold you to a higher standard why bother?

Duuuuude!

How many other bands or musical acts get paid millions... and how many other musical acts and bands get paid MORE than Pearl Jam and only learn 20 songs per tour???

Come on now. You have to give credit here where credit is due.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    I'd rather own LA3 than any of the Philly ones.
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    How many other bands or musical acts get paid millions...

and how many other musical acts and bands get paid MORE than Pearl Jam and only learn 20 songs per tour???

Not very many. I'd guess they clear more than a million every time they show up to play.

There's not many bands in the world that make more than PJ.

How many band get paid infinitely less and learn 10x the songs, and play them correctly?
This discussion has been closed.