Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    pjmetz20pjmetz20 Posts: 36
    Evac - go listen to Creed you douche. I would never listen to someone's opinion with the title "Evacuation Rules"...that might be the worst song in the PJ catalog. And by the way, Ed fucks up a song or two in most concerts, even the sacred MSG shows. The Philly shows were great. Those that ordered the shows, you won't be disappointed. There are opinions and then there are assholes trying piss people off. Job well done. This band can play any song from there catalog. That's one of the things that make them so great. You never know what you are going to get...sometimes they don't know what they are going to play next...
  • Options
    I've come to bless your thread. :mrgreen:

moron.gif
  • Options
    This is just silly!
    "When a person's soul is born in a country, nets are flung at it to hold it back from flight. You speak to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly past those nets." - James Joyce
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    EarlPam wrote:
    Evac - go listen to Creed you douche. I would never listen to someone's opinion with the title "Evacuation Rules"...that might be the worst song in the PJ catalog. This band can play any song from there catalog.

Wow, what a brilliant insult. How long did it take you to think of that one? You also need to learn the difference between "there" and "their". You joined in 1998 so you should know how to spell by now.
    EarlPam wrote:
    And by the way, Ed fucks up a song or two in most concerts, even the sacred MSG shows...

Ed didn't fuck up "a song or two". The ENTIRE BAND fucked up CONSTANTLY throughout all 4 shows. There's a difference. Maybe you should re-read the thread and think about it.
    beanpj10 wrote:
    They would probably rather play Backspacer front to back every night.

I don't care what they play as long as they play it well.

I just listened to LA 4 and it was a refreshing change after listening to the Philly debacle. They play a few rare tunes and they don't fuck them up! That's how it should be done.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of funny and unique when ed or anyone else messes up? I love it when stone forgets the riff in thin air at benny hall, and when ed forgets or mixes up the lyrics in evolution.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940

moron.gif

You'll need a bigger stick in this case ;)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    edited May 2010
    RiotZact wrote:
    Am I the only one that thinks it's kind of funny and unique when ed or anyone else messes up? I love it when stone forgets the riff in thin air at benny hall, and when ed forgets or mixes up the lyrics in evolution.
    no your not i love it as well. I also love that the band are human and not robots on stage playn the same crap night in and night out. Some people just don't get that i guess,funny theres about 99% percent of people in this thread with the same felling,guess were wrong :lol: :roll:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:

It's ok in moderation. I kind of expect Eddie to mess up lyrics sometimes. I've gotten used to that. :lol:
  • Options
    shuttdownshuttdown Posts: 81
    Fuck this thread and fuck these haters. PJ tried to give a four show fan service tour to close out the place and people are shitting all over it. Go out and do better yourselves. I am going to get my box set in the mail and enjoy the shows. Morons.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    no your not i love it as well. I also love that this band are human and not robots on stage playn the same crap night in and night out. Some people just don't get that i guess,funny theres about 99% percent of people in this thread with the same felling,guess were wrong :lol: :roll:

You should try READING THE THREAD. Nobody is saying that they shouldn't play rarities or play a different setlist every night. You've already said 3 times that I wasn't there when it says in my first post that I was. :lol:
  • Options
    shuttdown wrote:
    Fuck this thread and fuck these haters. PJ tried to give a four show fan service tour to close out the place and people are shitting all over it. Go out and do better yourselves. I am going to get my box set in the mail and enjoy the shows. Morons.
    Exactly
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    shuttdown wrote:

I love how having an honest opinion about something makes you a "hater". Get bent.
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    some serious HATERade going on here :roll:

most of it from haters who didnt even attend the concert or all 4 days and just giving a critical review from listening it on there headphones.

but heres a FACT

i've been to almost 40 shows now, and Philly 3 is in the top 3 if not number 1

:arrow: FACT

8-)
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    Veddster wrote:
    some serious HATERade going on here :roll:

most of it from haters who didnt even attend the concert or all 4 days and just giving a critical review from listening it on there headphones.

but heres a FACT

i've been to almost 40 shows now, and Philly 3 is in the top 3 if not number 1

:arrow: FACT

8-)
    agreed i was at all 4 and philly 3 is my fav show out of my 16 shows. And i saw wach 05 east ruth 2 06 and the last 4 msg shows. So i have some really good comparsions to go off.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Veddster wrote:

THEIR headphones
    THEIR headphones

Damnit.
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    THEIR headphones
    THEIR headphones

Damnit.

wahhh philly boots suck wahhh
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

moron.gif

i know there is a joke in the post someplace..... :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Because we all know that you couldn't possibly judge a show's worth by listening to it in headphones. :roll: We won't be able to truly experience the Philly shows until the PEARL JAM PHILLY SHOW VIRTUAL SIMULATOR is released. Maybe that's the mystery item. :lol:
  • Options
    Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    The OP and the several people that have agreed with him are making me nervous for the MSG boots now.

Because really, the most vehement defenders of a show are naturally going to be the people that were there. People downright take it personally if you criticize a show they were at. They go ape, as we've seen when someone voices dissent.

But really - and I speak for myself but I bet many are the same way - I think I'd be the worst judge of how Ed and the band actually "sounded" at MSG. The crowd went completely bizerk from the moment they came on and the entire show was a 90% mass sing-along. I'm guessing Philly was similar.

At no point during the shows did I stop and really listen to the band in a critical way. I was having too much f'ucking fun! So it's really disheartening to hear that it may have been an epicly off night for the band and you wouldn't even know it. Sounds like this may be the case with The Spectrum shows. But all we have to go on are the attenders of the concerts on the message boards, who almost always give uber-glowing testimonials.

I'd like to think I will be open and honest upon hearing the MSG shows and man, do I hope they live up to the live experience! Because it sounds like, for someone who wasn't there and just got swept up in the message board hype, maybe the Philly ones do not.
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    The OP and the several people that have agreed with him are making me nervous for the MSG boots now.

Because really, the most vehement defenders of a show are naturally going to be the people that were there. People downright take it personally if you criticize a show they were at. They go ape, as we've seen when someone voices dissent.

But really - and I speak for myself but I bet many are the same way - I think I'd be the worst judge of how Ed and the band actually "sounded" at MSG. The crowd went completely bizerk from the moment they came on and the entire show was a 90% mass sing-along. I'm guessing Philly was similar.

At no point during the shows did I stop and really listen to the band in a critical way. I was having too much f'ucking fun! So it's really disheartening to hear that it may have been an epicly off night for the band and you wouldn't even know it. Sounds like this may be the case with The Spectrum shows. But all we have to go on are the attenders of the concerts on the message boards, who almost always give uber-glowing testimonials.

I'd like to think I will be open and honest upon hearing the MSG shows and man, do I hope they live up to the live experience! Because it sounds like, for someone who wasn't there and just got swept up in the message board hype, maybe the Philly ones do not.

Thank you for the excellent post. I hope the MSG shows are good too. I've been told that they were much tighter than in Philly. We shall see!
  • Options
    TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    Evacuation Rules,

If you do not like the spontaneity and f*ck all attitude that goes into giving fans a rare or exciting experience then go see shows that feature the same setlist every single night. Bands that carry this many songs in their repertoire are not going to give you studio quality shows every night. That is the point. The Who Live at Leeds does not sound like an album cut. That is the greatness of it.

Either you are so incredibly spoiled by this band or you have no conception of what it is that you are getting at a live concert or on a recording of that concert. People on this board gripe and rate and rank all these things and it really misses the point a lot of the time. I realize part of this board is to say how you feel but I really think you have missed the mark with your criticism of these shows.

Have you listened to Hold On from Night 3? I was in the first row and it sounded perfect. They had never played that before. I listened to it on the boot and it sounded great as well. Ed flubs up lyrics a lot, but at least he is not reading them from a teleprompter like a lot of comparable musicians do today (the Boss amongst them). As far as them playing the wrong chords...that is not true. You can't play the wrong chords and have the same song. You may miss a chord change or be late on it but they are not playing different chords.

My suggestion: stick to bands who edit their live shows to sound like the studio or listen to the records if you are not going to glory in the fact that you are hearing something special and something historic. Satan's Bed in State College was only bad if you were not there and not stoked that they were even trying it for the sake of their fans who were holding up signs begging them to play it.
  • Options
    TheOx wrote:
    Evacuation Rules,

If you do not like the spontaneity and f*ck all attitude that goes into giving fans a rare or exciting experience then go see shows that feature the same setlist every single night. Bands that carry this many songs in their repertoire are not going to give you studio quality shows every night. That is the point. The Who Live at Leeds does not sound like an album cut. That is the greatness of it.

Either you are so incredibly spoiled by this band or you have no conception of what it is that you are getting at a live concert or on a recording of that concert. People on this board gripe and rate and rank all these things and it really misses the point a lot of the time. I realize part of this board is to say how you feel but I really think you have missed the mark with your criticism of these shows.

Have you listened to Hold On from Night 3? I was in the first row and it sounded perfect. They had never played that before. I listened to it on the boot and it sounded great as well. Ed flubs up lyrics a lot, but at least he is not reading them from a teleprompter like a lot of comparable musicians do today (the Boss amongst them). As far as them playing the wrong chords...that is not true. You can't play the wrong chords and have the same song. You may miss a chord change or be late on it but they are not playing different chords.

My suggestion: stick to bands who edit their live shows to sound like the studio or listen to the records if you are not going to glory in the fact that you are hearing something special and something historic. Satan's Bed in State College was only bad if you were not there and not stoked that they were even trying it for the sake of their fans who were holding up signs begging them to play it.
    Amen thread over :clap:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    making me nervous for the MSG boots now.

you can buy them no worries at all! I give you my word!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    the OP had a point. he doesn't like to hear the band fuck up so much. it's not that big a deal. no, he shouldn't listen to another band because that's just dumb. he obviously likes this one. that argument is very invalid and quite frankly very annoying. "what!? you say something bad about pearl jam!? LISTEN TO CREED!" :roll:
    and sure the band quality during the shows weren't that bad and could have been worse, but if he thinks they could have been tighter then by all means he should have his opinion. obviously there are people who agree and obviously there are people who don't, but can't you write more tactfully? aren't you all supposed to be adults? you can respectfully disagree but this is all getting very out of hand.

and no, OP, i don't really agree with you except for habit on philly 3 but that's the beauty of opinion, not everyone in the whole world has to agree with everyone else.

and just because the OP believes they sound bad on the philly boots doesn't mean other people won't think they sound fabulous. and the philly boots sounding bad (whether it's true or not) is not indicative of future boot quality.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    cutz wrote:
    cutz wrote:
    Well, i guess my ears are fucked up, because they sound fine to me. I think the thread headline should read: MSG-2 2010, THE MOST OVER-RATED SHOW EVER!!!> :o

R u joking? U must not have been there. They killed EVERY song and Eds voice was perfect.

I was at philly as well. There were mistakes. So what. I knew there was no way everything would be released dvd. Give pj credit though for putting it out there warts and all. Yes they blew a FEW things during the philly run.

MSG is an entirely different animal imo

No, i'm not joking and i was there. The sound at MSG was just OK, so that doesn't help. It wasn't bad but it could've been better. Was phsyced when i heard Breath so early in the set, but Ed messed up the lyrics(i've listen to a AUD boot). The few rarities they did were ok, not great. PMPM just doesn't go over well live. Was really glad to hear Black Red Yellow, but that was just ok too. I was really unimpressed with the first encore, except RVM was GREAT. Sweet Lew? Really dug Hunger Strike though. I just think if that same show was played in any other city or venue, it would barely be talked about. I don't let the city or venue affect me when it comes to concerts, or the crowd.

You r completely out of your mind. I kind of feel bad for you. You must be miserable.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    TheOx wrote:
    If you do not like the spontaneity and f*ck all attitude that goes into giving fans a rare or exciting experience then go see shows that feature the same setlist every single night. Bands that carry this many songs in their repertoire are not going to give you studio quality shows every night. That is the point.

No shit. I've already addressed this issue. My problem is with the extremely sloppy performances they gave in Philly and the MASSIVELY OVERBLOWN praise these shows get here, not the rarities or the setlists or Eddie flubbing a lyric here and there. I purchased EVERY SINGLE BOOTLEG Pearl Jam have ever released. I think I have the right to voice my opinion if I think the band is not delivering to their full potential. Obviously, if you read the thread you will see that there are other people who found the performances to be less than stellar as well. I'm being accused of crying and complaining when it seems like certain fans are the ones who can't handle hearing a little criticism.
  • Options
    TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    I agree the OP is free to have an opinion. I was just saying that THIS opinion is far and away misplaced misguided.

You cannot start a thread entitled Mot Overrated PJ Show Ever and then expect calm and deliberate debate. The OP does not want that. The OP is drawing a line in the sand. Unchecked aggression.

The OP is making spelling and grammatical corrections and ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with the premise of the post. I won't defend that and I won't respect the opinion for those reasons.

I also happen to disagree. A band sounding tight is not possible every night. A band sounding tight on every song is never going to happen. When you see a band play out of a catalog of well over one hundred songs you may get a screw up on a hit. You may get a screw up on a rare song. You also may get Ain't Talkin' Bout Love at Hartford.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    TheOx wrote:
    The OP is making spelling and grammatical corrections and ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with the premise of the post. I won't defend that and I won't respect the opinion for those reasons.
    i don't like that either. attacking people who disagree is just ridiculous.

can't we all just get along???? :lol::lol:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    TheOx wrote:

jerk.gif
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 550
    all i know is that i had a great time at these shows and didnt think anything would be better than philly3 (until msg2). i wouldnt trade them for anything. i really dont remember anything that went wrong except for stopping come back. but i dont think they played it wrong i thought eddie just stopped and went into no way which is better imo. maybe i was just too caught up in the crowd or setlist but i didnt notice anything at the time. just my 2 cents.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17