Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Anyone who is from the Philadelphia area knows that night 4 was much more than just a concert. The building we grew up in was being attended for the last time. I can't even count how many times I have been there and just having a 41 song set on that evening with the songs heard for the first time made this show even more memorable. They were honored to be there and we were honored to have them there.

You can't overrate that.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    Still nothing about the incredibly UNDERrated Spectrum I show. Blistering, aggressive setlist (no Sweet Lew or Bugs - so what, those songs suck) and the band was on FIRE. An audience recording sounded great - I can't wait to hear the boot!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,270
    Still nothing about the incredibly UNDERrated Spectrum I show. Blistering, aggressive setlist (no Sweet Lew or Bugs - so what, those songs suck) and the band was on FIRE. An audience recording sounded great - I can't wait to hear the boot!

I thought Philly 1 was awesome; I was totally blown away by "Immortality, and as I have said before, I even enjoyed my two least favorite PJ songs, "Green Disease" and "Unemployable." I thought Philly 1 sounded great. :D
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    Woa people, Evacuation Rules is entitled to his opinion, just as everyone else is. Philly was over-rated to him and some people agree, so what? I was at Philly 2, 3 and 4 and had an absolute blast and am thoroughly enjoying the bootlegs. And I noticed the fuck ups but they don't bother me as much as him. That's cool, but the OP has a point to say that a band should be tight and it appears the guys weren't, on some songs. Also, assuming he bought the bootlegs, (he did buy a ticket) he has every right to say something too. He spent his money and is unhappy with it. PJ's awesome but they're not perfect. That's Ok with me. Nobody has to suck balls or anything because they don't agree.
  • Options

I thought Philly 1 was awesome; I was totally blown away by "Immortality, and as I have said before, I even enjoyed my two least favorite PJ songs, "Green Disease" and "Unemployable." I thought Philly 1 sounded great. :D

It was such an epic experience to hear Immortality (my favorite song) in the 2nd row. But the best part of the night, I'd have to say, was Go. Couldn't believe that song could be even faster live than in the studio! Obviously I'm biased for this show, but I still think it was just a great one.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    I knew ordering it was going to be a "flawed" show, but hey they can be ncie to listen to also.

I more hate the fact that I payed 60dollars for burned discs :)

But still... 4 shows in a row with that many songds, obviosuly they were going to kill alot of songs - even the standard ones.

I'm excited to here it, event hough I rather listen to silver discs :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Phish Phantasy tour board circa 1999. Where it starts off being questionable if you can even actually critique something the band has done, and then evolves into all-out flame wars over the band's responsibility to its fans. Unfortunately in Phish's case what started around 1999 ended up costing everyone about a decade's worth of music - or so Trey Anastasio said at some point. I'm sure that won't happen here because PJ are, by and large, too good.

Seriously, this is a very interesting debate/argument. The whole thing is predicated on this: bands that play with a spirit of improvisation - and bear in mind that PJ improvises with respect to varying the setlists every night, they really do very little actual improvising - there is a huge variation, show-to-show, as to what songs are played and often how well they are played. Because of this, people tend to attend multiple shows. IF PJ played the same 28 songs every single night, we'd all see one show and say it was great. But that spirit of improv - which for jambands consists of actual jamming which is much riskier IMO, but for PJ consists of "what will they play" - is what makes people want and need to attend 3, 4,5,6 shows on a tour if they can. And a huge part of that is "I want to be there and see what they do" but an even bigger part of it is "I don't want to miss that one "EPIC" show that everyone will talk about for years." And that becomes especially true when people have seen a ton of shows.

There are people that argue that "you can't judge a show unless you were there." To the extent that in the end, whether they make mistakes or not, the real question is if you went, did you walk out of there with your mind blown? For me, I've only seen these guys a handful of times and every time the answer has been yes. when you're there, it is mostly about the energy in the room and did they play what you wanted to hear (and since most of us love everythign they do that answer is almost always yes). I have never heard anyone come out of a show and say "Pearl Jam played like shit tonight." And that is one reason why bootlegs of every show are not usually released by bands. What was an epic experience in the room almost never translates onto the tape the same way. Conversely, there are shows where the energy may be lacking but if you go back and listen to thwe tape it is an incredible show with standout versions of everything. So the true test of all that becomes, once you have the bootleg, how often do you go back and listen to it (ie does it hold up on tape). And for PJ that is basically the setlist plus how well they played everything. The energy in the room may have nothing to do with that one way or another.

Sounds like maybe Philly doesn't hold up as well on tape. That doesn't mean that it wasn't an incredible experience for everyone who was there. And MSG2 was epic because everyone there decided it would be - we're in NYC on FRiday night for a PJ tour closer and all 20000 of us are psyched as hell.
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Great post pghas, you make some most excellent points! PhillyIV was an amazing experience, as well as the other shows I've been fortunate enough to attend.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456
    Cutz - fine, I take back the out of your mind comment. (Not sure about the miserable yet! :) ). Tell me hen where u saw them that was "good sound" in your opinion. I'm 36. I've been to a lot of shows. I've made music tv and filmed many shows from front row. Msg2 was the best rock show I have ever witnessed.

The band was on fire. Maybe the sound was so bad whereever you were that u didn't even hear what was happening (joke).

Thats kool RYAN. The BEST place i saw them, where the sound was/is TERIFFIC, was the BORGATA in Atlantic City, N.J. Borgata has great acoustics, and it holds no more then 3, 000. I've never seen or heard a bad show there. Like i said earlier, the sound was OK. NOT bad at MSG.

I"m not trying to rain on any one's parade, but I've seen them where i thought they were better(and thats saying alot), but thats just me i guess. Its the calling it "The Show" and "EPIC" that i think has been over board on here. But, this is what makes this band the BEST LIVE act, that i've ever seen, and i've been going to concerts for OVER 30 years. They play so many GREAT shows, that WE, me and you, have a tough time picking which one's are our favorites. And thats a GOOD thing. Just one of many reasons we love this band.

Yea, i thought the band was on fire too, and i ENJOYED the hell out of the show, so don't think i was calling the show BAD.

Another example: EVACUATION thinks the Philly run was over-rated, but i think they were GREAT. WE all have our favorites, and LUCKY for us we have ALOT to choose from> :lol: To each his own, when it comes to music.
  • Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    The concerts were great but there were plenty of screw-ups. Eddie even said at one point "everyone on the stage get your shit together this is the fucking spectrum we're closing". Some were just too rare and awkward (Bugs). Some were just screw up by the band (Come Back), some were no one's fault (Eddie smashed his face into the mic stand on Porch)... there were flaws. It might detract from an impartial observer's listening experience slightly but it was fine at the concert IMO.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    Light(en) up and have some f'in fun.

/thread.

Well done.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics.

I LUV it when ED screws up the lyrics! it's Friggin' Hilarious!...Adds to the WHOLE experience of being at a " " LIVE " " Show! ;)
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    merlin401 wrote:
    The concerts were great but there were plenty of screw-ups. Eddie even said at one point "everyone on the stage get your shit together this is the fucking spectrum we're closing". Some were just too rare and awkward (Bugs). Some were just screw up by the band (Come Back), some were no one's fault (Eddie smashed his face into the mic stand on Porch)... there were flaws. It might detract from an impartial observer's listening experience slightly but it was fine at the concert IMO.

What NIGHT was this?...I WANT it...haha
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics.

I LUV it when ED screws up the lyrics! it's Friggin' Hilarious!...Adds to the WHOLE experience of being at a " " LIVE " " Show! ;)
    +1 It gives a touch of uniqueness to a song in the whole tour!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I thought he fell and bashed his face on Even Flow.....?
  • Options
    Lost_DawgsLost_Dawgs Posts: 6
    i_lov_it wrote:
    merlin401 wrote:

Night 4, Encore 2 when they start into Got Some. It's at the end of the clip right before the start of the official Got Some track on the boot. Funny moment then, funny on the boot. Worth a listen..........
    Chicago, IL - Jul 11, 1995; Toledo, OH - Sep 22, 1996; Houston, TX - Oct 14, 2000; Philadelphia, PA - Apr 28, 2003; Camden, NJ - Jul 06, 2003; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Philadelphia, PA - Oct 03, 2005; Camden, NJ - May 27, 2006; Camden, NJ - May 28, 2006; Philadelphia, PA - Oct 31, 2009
  • Options
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?
    i agree. they are pretty rough on these. but they sounded fantastic on this tour!
  • Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    Considering that your handle is "Evacuation Rules", I take your opinion with a grain of salt
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    EarlPam wrote:
    Evac - go listen to Creed you douche. I would never listen to someone's opinion with the title "Evacuation Rules"...that might be the worst song in the PJ catalog. And by the way, Ed fucks up a song or two in most concerts, even the sacred MSG shows. The Philly shows were great. Those that ordered the shows, you won't be disappointed. There are opinions and then there are assholes trying piss people off. Job well done. This band can play any song from there catalog. That's one of the things that make them so great. You never know what you are going to get...sometimes they don't know what they are going to play next...

+1
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Kanye East wrote:
    Considering that your handle is "Evacuation Rules", I take your opinion with a grain of salt
    Once you hear the boots, you'll find it hard to deny that the shows were rough. That said, I've been to enough shows, Pearl Jam and not, to realize that there's far more to a show than the technical proficiency with which songs are played. They sound like good shows - not spectacular on bootleg format in my opinion - but that's not to say they weren't magical for those who were at the shows.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    The OP and the several people that have agreed with him are making me nervous for the MSG boots now.

Because really, the most vehement defenders of a show are naturally going to be the people that were there. People downright take it personally if you criticize a show they were at. They go ape, as we've seen when someone voices dissent.

But really - and I speak for myself but I bet many are the same way - I think I'd be the worst judge of how Ed and the band actually "sounded" at MSG. The crowd went completely bizerk from the moment they came on and the entire show was a 90% mass sing-along. I'm guessing Philly was similar.

At no point during the shows did I stop and really listen to the band in a critical way. I was having too much f'ucking fun! So it's really disheartening to hear that it may have been an epicly off night for the band and you wouldn't even know it. Sounds like this may be the case with The Spectrum shows. But all we have to go on are the attenders of the concerts on the message boards, who almost always give uber-glowing testimonials.

I'd like to think I will be open and honest upon hearing the MSG shows and man, do I hope they live up to the live experience! Because it sounds like, for someone who wasn't there and just got swept up in the message board hype, maybe the Philly ones do not.

To be honest, I was very disappointed with MSG1, the sound was really bad. However, MSG2 more than made up for MSG1.
    DC-9/24/96
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    i_lov_it wrote:
    merlin401 wrote:

Night 1: During All Those Yesterdays Eddie got the mike chord wrapped around his whole body, and a roadie came out trying to help him get untangled. He eventually got the mike off the stand and tossed the mike stand about 15 feet in the air in frustration. Never missed a beat!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Glad you spent your $$$$ on them , i won't be buying any boots at all i'd rather just keep the memories of the shows in my head ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    Well since they played so many obscure songs and played for over 3:30 hours ill give them a pass. Not every show can be perfect especially when your playing songs for the first time ever. Ill take an obscure sloppy marathon over a 25 song greatest hit set list anyday.

I'm not complaining about the setlists. I'm complaining about the performances. They fucked up a lot of "standard" songs too, not just the rarities. The solution to that problem would be to REHEARSE before you take the stage.

I noticed that the band seemed tighter during the recent shows-- in particular, Ed was much more accurate with the lyrics than usual, and not afraid to read them from his notebook. I wonder if this was a reaction to the sloppiness people are describing here. In particular, the performance of "Satan's Bed" in Hartford was spot on, and Ed was clearly looking to the notebook at his feet so as not to screw up the lyrics. Same goes for "Low Light."

This is one of the problems with the 2000 boots. I was just listening to Lisbon 2000 this morning and Ed is flubbing lyrics left and right.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Glad you spent your $$$$ on them , i won't be buying any boots at all i'd rather just keep the memories of the shows in my head ....

yo, fuck that son! i was there for all 4 and the Spectrum sounded AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! so if the boots sound like shit it's not becuz the band did!! they were on fucking fire!! as always!!! and i bought the box set becuz if you were there for all 4 you NEED to own it!!!!!!!!

i say if you have a problem with how they sound go find another band to listen to ok OP...i hear Creed is on tour!!!
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

yo, fuck that son! i was there for all 4 and the Spectrum sounded AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! so if the boots sound like shit it's not becuz the band did!! they were on fucking fire!! as always!!! and i bought the box set becuz if you were there for all 4 you NEED to own it!!!!!!!!

i say if you have a problem with how they sound go find another band to listen to ok OP...i hear Creed is on tour!!!

yo, fuck that son!=really? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    edited May 2010
    Veddster wrote:
    most of it from haters who didnt even attend the concert or all 4 days and just giving a critical review from listening it on there headphones.

THEIR headphones
    THEIR headphones

Damnit.

I have no opinion on the Philly shows since I wasn't there and haven't heard the boots. Having said that, are you familiar with the phrase, "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"? Because "Damn it" is two words, and periods generally go inside quotation marks (you had them outside in your prior post about the difference between "their" and "there"). I'm just saying.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    nickdarpsnickdarps Posts: 47
    bash philly all you want, bash msg II all you want, but wtf is wrong with creed?? ;)
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    nickdarps wrote:
    bash philly all you want, bash msg II all you want, but wtf is wrong with creed?? ;)

it was 12 years ago around this time that i bought creed's debut cd. i was just finishing the eighth grade, on my way to high school, and my buddy told me about this band creed and how awesome they were. he showed me songs like "my own prison", "what's this life for", and "one". i thought it was kick ass. what made it even cooler is that no one else at my school was listening to them so it made my buddy and i feel cool lol. i dislike creed beyond comprehension now, but i can never say that i hate them... only because of sentiment. it was a simpler time back in 1998
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    nickdarps wrote:

it was 12 years ago around this time that i bought creed's debut cd. i was just finishing the eighth grade, on my way to high school, and my buddy told me about this band creed and how awesome they were. he showed me songs like "my own prison", "what's this life for", and "one". i thought it was kick ass. what made it even cooler is that no one else at my school was listening to them so it made my buddy and i feel cool lol. i dislike creed beyond comprehension now, but i can never say that i hate them... only because of sentiment. it was a simpler time back in 1998

Everybody makes mistakes in high school.
This discussion has been closed.