Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    edited May 2010
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    I think the only songs they played that I don't otherwise own a soundboard live version of were Push Me Pull Me, Hold On, Bugs, Whip It and Sweet Lew. And that really wasn't enough to get me to pay $60.
    really? you wouldn't pay 60 bucks for whip it??? :wtf: ;):lol:
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    I think the only songs they played that I don't otherwise own a soundboard live version of were Push Me Pull Me, Hold On, Bugs, Whip It and Sweet Lew. And that really wasn't enough to get me to pay $60.

I bought it to listen to the entire experience. But the more I think of it the more I regret it. It's like the Gorge set whicj I listened to once... and then the mp3s of those shows once.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    imalive wrote:
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    really? you woudn't pay 60 bucks for whip it??? :wtf: ;):lol:

I actually really enjoyed hearing them play "Whip It", even though it's a mess. :lol: Imagine how good it would be if they really nailed it!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456
    cutz wrote:

Not eaxctly. I have a shit load of boots too, but that doesn't mean i know a good boot from a bad one. Its just MY opinion, of whats a good or bad boot. You think Philly '09 is over-rated, but i think there good boots. You see: just a matter of opinion.
    That really sucks for you that you have a shit load of boots but have no idea what makes a good one!

I know everything doesn't come across well on a message board. Now that i've re-read my post, i can see where the confusion is. Of course I know what boot I like, and don't like. The premise of the post, was that I know what boots i think are good or bad, but you/everyone else, may not agree. Its all a matter of one's OWN OPINION, when it comes to boots they like. But, maybe if you read past the first line, you would've saw that?> :lol: Though, i didn't use the word "there" correctly> :lol:
  • Options
    I haven't had time to read every post in this thread but if you want perfect sounding pearl jam songs than just listen to the studio albums. Stopping being pussies and complaining all the time. I like that in the live shows Eddie forgets lyrics or makes stuff up, it adds to the live experience. Do you want the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter to be the same every single time? Personally I only buy bootlegs for the shows I go to....to re-live the experience of the show as whole....and help bring back memories of a great few nights.
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I haven't had time to read every post in this thread but if you want perfect sounding pearl jam songs than just listen to the studio albums. Stopping being pussies and complaining all the time. I like that in the live shows Eddie forgets lyrics or makes stuff up, it adds to the live experience. Do you want the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter to be the same every single time? Personally I only buy bootlegs for the shows I go to....to re-live the experience of the show as whole....and help bring back memories of a great few nights.

This thread is about the Philly bootlegs being highly overrated and overhyped by the forum as a whole, mostly by people who there and were blinded by the experience. It has nothing to do with what you're talking about.
  • Options
    PhillyPJPhillyPJ Posts: 1,266
    Just got done listening to the Philly run for the second time. I've never heard Pearl Jam sound so under-rehearsed before. They slaughter song after song. I've never heard Ed forget so many lyrics. As boots, these shows don't hold up at all. In fact they are total abortions. Now beofre you say, "you had to be there", I was there for Night 2 and it was hands down the worst PJ show I've ever attended. Even "Given To Fly" sounded like shit. I hope they DON'T release a DVD of these shows, as it would be a total embarrassment.

Does anybody else out there have the balls to admit that these shows are nothing special, save for a handful of decently played rarities?

It is threads like this that remind me why I don’t visit this board that much anymore. Too much negativity and whining. Pearl Jam played 4 shows to close down the Spectrum and all we get is bitching and bitching. I don't have time to read all 17 pages of this thread but if you don’t like the bootlegs then contact Kufala and return them. You have the “balls” to post your comments online so why not have the “balls” to send back your CDs.

Their contact info is below:

http://kufala.com/ContactUs.aspx

This band just keeps giving and giving and it is never enough. They could play a 12 night stand at Madison Square Garden and we would get posts that bitch about the fact that they played “Evenflow” 2 nights in a row.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and the internet has provided everyone a forum to state their opinion but what the fuck. When does it fucking end?

Pearl Jam’s 20th Anniversary is coming up and they could play a 50-song set and we would still get whiners complaining that Ed missed a lyric or two. So fucking what? Are they good as they were back in 1992? Maybe not. But they are a different band now. Things change. Fucking deal with it.
  • Options
    SSS81SSS81 Posts: 169
    In response to the comment that he messed up words...do you really want to see a lip-synched perfect version of Parachutes so he gets all the words right??? I prefer the performances the way they are.

-s
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    To the post two above (too big to quote using phone) agree 100%. But I will answer the one question you post.... They are a better band now than they were in '92. I'm sure even the band would agree.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    [/quote]

It is threads like this that remind me why I don’t visit this board that much anymore. Too much negativity and whining. Pearl Jam played 4 shows to close down the Spectrum and all we get is bitching and bitching. I don't have time to read all 17 pages of this thread but if you don’t like the bootlegs then contact Kufala and return them. You have the “balls” to post your comments online so why not have the “balls” to send back your CDs.

Their contact info is below:

http://kufala.com/ContactUs.aspx

This band just keeps giving and giving and it is never enough. They could play a 12 night stand at Madison Square Garden and we would get posts that bitch about the fact that they played “Evenflow” 2 nights in a row.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and the internet has provided everyone a forum to state their opinion but what the fuck. When does it fucking end?

Pearl Jam’s 20th Anniversary is coming up and they could play a 50-song set and we would still get whiners complaining that Ed missed a lyric or two. So fucking what? Are they good as they were back in 1992? Maybe not. But they are a different band now. Things change. Fucking deal with it.[/quote]

Well said, I am sick of all the bitching around here. Name another fucking band that goes above and beyond like this band does. So what Ed fucks up a time or two he is human like the rest of us this does not change the fact that Pearl Jam is the best live band out there period. Some of you people around here would bitch if you had a million dollars handed to you because it was not given to you in all 10's or something... if its that bad stop coming here go somewhere else with your negativity.....
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    PhillyPJ wrote:
    It is threads like this that remind me why I don’t visit this board that much anymore. Too much negativity and whining. Pearl Jam played 4 shows to close down the Spectrum and all we get is bitching and bitching. I don't have time to read all 17 pages of this thread but if you don’t like the bootlegs then contact Kufala and return them. You have the “balls” to post your comments online so why not have the “balls” to send back your CDs....

Pearl Jam’s 20th Anniversary is coming up and they could play a 50-song set and we would still get whiners complaining that Ed missed a lyric or two. So fucking what? Are they good as they were back in 1992? Maybe not. But they are a different band now. Things change. Fucking deal with it.

On one hand, I agree with you that this band gives a lot, and tries very hard to please its hardcore fans, and we should all be appreciative of that. I am someone who sort of enjoys the mess ups that happen now and then, and understand fully that this band playes over 100 different songs over a tour sometimes, and it would be really hard to memorize that many.

At the same time, I fully respect people''s rights to be disapoitned with a show, to feel like a song wasn't performed very well, and to talk about it on a message board. The band has the right to dismiss these comments, or tell a fan to fuck off, but at the same time, the fan has the right to have an opinion and discuss it. I for one don't want to come on here and read 500 messages about how great this band is and how they can do no wrong. Man would that be boring. We're not all gonna agree on any one issue, but hopefully people can someday agree that we can all have opinions of our own, and not resort to name calling or saying things like "I'm a better/bigger fan because..."
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    I've attended 15 shows total across the last forever and there wasn't a single one where I was left feeling unsatisfied.
    I can see both sides of the discussion. The Philly shows sound great, the energy pours. I am not to concerned with shows being flawless or filled with rareities. The botched 08' DC Evacuation still cracks me up. I didn't see any pissed off fan walk out or anything. Nor post all over the board that it was the greatest show ever.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    SSS81 wrote:
    ...do you really want to see a lip-synched perfect version of Parachutes so he gets all the words right??? -s

I don't want to hear any version of parachutes! :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It took a lot of energy out of me to just go to 3 shows in 4 days. Imagine how much tired the band must have been doing 4 shows.... and they still brought the house down each night....I think they are allowed to make mistakes.
  • Options
    NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    Lamest thread ever. I couldn't hold back any longer.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    zootown wrote:
    first of all, evacuation, are you surprised? Rare songs, marathon sets, crowd energy; these seem to have become the criterion for great shows these days, right? I have been saying that I thought Eddie's voice sounded rough through most of 08-09, so its not surprising that a four night run is going to result in a shaky vocal performance. "Back in the day", when Pearl Jam only had a catalog of 40-50 songs, the energy they played then will never be matched today, sorry. I think sometimes the band themselves have become too influenced by the fanatics on this board who constantly talk about rarities, length of show, and what the crowd was like. By the way, I happen to think Gorge 2005 may be the most underrated show of all time! Does it get any better than that show, I think not!

Not to hijack, but No. It does not get much better than Gorge 2005...
  • Options
    CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    Philly is pretty good....but a far cry from what was done at the Gorge.....but I agree these shows are over hyped.
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Options
    I posted this a long time ago, and will refresh this thread... these shows were bigger than PJ. A celebration of the venue, the city, and the legendary music that was played in the spectrum for 40+ years. So if the nerds on this board want to compare flubbed lyrics and vocals to the Gorge and MSG and Boston... knock yourself out. Call it over-rated or call it top-10... the shows lived up to the hype. And honestly, you really had to be there for the run... even 1 show was not enough of a flavor.

Personally, I saw 5 events in 5 nights from 10/27-10/31 (PJ1, PJ2, WS in NY, PJ3, WS in Philly) and the whole experience was sick.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    It took a lot of energy out of me to just go to 3 shows in 4 days. Imagine how much tired the band must have been doing 4 shows.... and they still brought the house down each night....I think they are allowed to make mistakes.

[phillycrownofthorns] I posted this a long time ago, and will refresh this thread... these shows were bigger than PJ. A celebration of the venue, the city, and the legendary music that was played in the spectrum for 40+ years. So if the nerds on this board want to compare flubbed lyrics and vocals to the Gorge and MSG and Boston... knock yourself out. Call it over-rated or call it top-10... the shows lived up to the hype. And honestly, you really had to be there for the run... even 1 show was not enough of a flavor..

agree with you here. it wasn't all about the songs. to see our favorite band close down our historic arena, and nail it with the right sense of history and emotion made it unbelievably special. now maybe to non-Philly people it wasn't as big of a deal, but to us in Philly it was a fn incredible experience. I remember after the last show feeling so damn proud that PJ was chosen for this historic set of concerts and how well ED and the boys honored the place in such an incredible way. I will never ever forget or under-appreciate what they did for us and Philly. I was never prouder as a PJ fan than during that 4-night run.
  • Options
    HoosierJamHoosierJam Posts: 104
    yeah they could've rehearsed them at soundcheck. but wait, maybe they wanted the rarities to be a surprise and couldn't rehearse because somebody is always there reporting on here every move they make....soundcheck post philly 3 "eddie just got done takin a bathroom drop and to spoil your night-they are now soundchecking Bugs!"
    nothing as it seems.....
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    that confetti/balloon drop was OUT OF THIS WORLD

sorry, but um ya just had to be there...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,943
    I posted this a long time ago, and will refresh this thread... these shows were bigger than PJ. A celebration of the venue, the city, and the legendary music that was played in the spectrum for 40+ years. So if the nerds on this board want to compare flubbed lyrics and vocals to the Gorge and MSG and Boston... knock yourself out. Call it over-rated or call it top-10... the shows lived up to the hype. And honestly, you really had to be there for the run... even 1 show was not enough of a flavor.

Fuckin' eh!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I know i'm 18 pages late but I heard a few songs from the Philly shows off my friends iPod and holy shit did those boots sound incredible. They NAILED the sound this time around. The guitars were nice and crisp, the bass was audible for once, and you could finally hear matts ghost notes that he always does. That really impressed me. I also thought the band sounded amazing, they even nailed Hold On. So OP, I think you're on crack.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    I know i'm 18 pages late but I heard a few songs from the Philly shows off my friends iPod and holy shit did those boots sound incredible. They NAILED the sound this time around. The guitars were nice and crisp, the bass was audible for once, and you could finally hear matts ghost notes that he always does. That really impressed me. I also thought the band sounded amazing, they even nailed Hold On. So OP, I think you're on crack.

amen.
    sure, there may be FEW flubby moments during night 3, but are you kidding me? FLAWLESS versions of hold on, in hiding, off he goes, parting ways, jeremy, etc, etc, etc .. MANY more. so deep and habit weren't absolutely flawless but they are still EXCELLENT versions. also, like most said, that show was not all about the perfection of the performance. it was the whole experience. philly shows are not overrated in the slightest bit. the boots sound amazing and so does the band.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    :roll: :roll: :roll:
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    Philly was an experience-more than just PJ- none of the experience will ever be felt or appreciated listening to a bootleg.

Haloween night
    Daylight savings- bars stayed open another hour
    Yankees vs. Phillies, Eagles vs. Giants, Flyers game - all home games in Philly
    4 PJ shows - Epic 43 song closer that never disappointed
    The Warwich Hotel
    Cheesesteaks
    Shopping

Most over-rated threads are usually started by people who either weren't there or didn't truely take part in the experience of the event.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,943
    WWS wrote:
    Philly was an experience-more than just PJ- none of the experience will ever be felt or appreciated listening to a bootleg.

Haloween night
    Daylight savings- bars stayed open another hour
    Yankees vs. Phillies, Eagles vs. Giants, Flyers game - all home games in Philly
    4 PJ shows - Epic 43 song closer that never disappointed
    The Warwich Hotel
    Cheesesteaks
    Shopping

Most over-rated threads are usually started by people who either weren't there or didn't truely take part in the experience of the event.

Also add to that list ...

G2
    Wishlist Foundation Preparties @ McFadden's
    Wednesday Karaoke Night
    Devils Night
    Confetti & Balloons
    Pearl Jam wearing Devo uniforms
    Black Red Yellow rehearsal

etc ...

Yes, you won't get all that listening to these bootlegs, but for those that were there in Philly for those 5 day's know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You just had to be there to experience it. 2 day's or 1/2 show's doesn't count, or maybe it does. But being there for all 4 night's, is unfuckinbelivable, baby! 8-)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    While I haven't listened to the boot, I have listened to and seen some songs on youtube from these shows...

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Some of those songs are just terrible. I'm sure the show was a blast for those lucky enough to have gone, but from a music standpoint the band (aside from Matt) really butchered a lot of those songs.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    I've listened to night 1 and 2, and they're alright, but I'm listening night 3 and it literally bringing down the house! :clap:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    mca47 wrote:
    While I haven't listened to the boot, I have listened to and seen some songs on youtube from these shows...

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Some of those songs are just terrible. I'm sure the show was a blast for those lucky enough to have gone, but from a music standpoint the band (aside from Matt) really butchered a lot of those songs.
    :shock:
    How could you say such a thing, you must be dumb.

Kidding. Good luck with the inevitable shit fit some will have with your statement... for the record, I agree.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
This discussion has been closed.