Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Wow, doesn't get any of the prize money.  I think he'll be okay though.  I just can't get too excited for young golfers as I see them as country club kids with rich parents.     
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,521
     I just can't get too excited for young golfers as I see them as country club kids with rich parents.     
    isn’t that how  mostly all the older golfers started out, too?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
     I just can't get too excited for young golfers as I see them as country club kids with rich parents.     
    isn’t that how  mostly all the older golfers started out, too?
    Eventually life comes along and hits ya with a dose of reality.  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    https://youtu.be/FAlbmd5UdzA?si=4DTVBK0SP-f5-dE0

This is incredible. I walked it for the crump cup once. Have been trying to again but it’s been closed to the public since the pandemic and doesn’t sound like the public aspect is coming back.

My main takeaways were the scale, the biggest golf property I’ve ever been on and it’s borderline fucking impossible and wouldn’t be fun for someone like me to play. No business.  That par 3th was one of the most intimidating tee shots I’ve ever seen. An incredible place. Seems like we’ll get to see some of it in the coming years 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    So Wyndham Clark chose his legacy over LIV.   That's quite a bet.  Good for him I guess. The tour is littered with one or two time major winners that are quickly forgotten.  Money isn't everything, but an average tour legacy vs.  $$$$.....tough call.

To me:    
    (1 Major win + $100,000,000) > (3 Major wins + 20,000,000)
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    https://youtu.be/FAlbmd5UdzA?si=4DTVBK0SP-f5-dE0

This is incredible. I walked it for the crump cup once. Have been trying to again but it’s been closed to the public since the pandemic and doesn’t sound like the public aspect is coming back.

My main takeaways were the scale, the biggest golf property I’ve ever been on and it’s borderline fucking impossible and wouldn’t be fun for someone like me to play. No business.  That par 3th was one of the most intimidating tee shots I’ve ever seen. An incredible place. Seems like we’ll get to see some of it in the coming years 

Every shot on that course looks terrifying.  I'd be lucky to break 125.  I think it's hosting the Curtis cup in 10 years or something like that.

Was just down in Florida for a few days playing golf.  Did 72 holes in 3 days.  Loved every minute of it....but now back to my simulator league and 2-3 more months of indoor golf.  Bummer.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    So Wyndham Clark chose his legacy over LIV.   That's quite a bet.  Good for him I guess. The tour is littered with one or two time major winners that are quickly forgotten.  Money isn't everything, but an average tour legacy vs.  $$$$.....tough call.

To me:    
    (1 Major win + $100,000,000) > (3 Major wins + 20,000,000)
    He has won three times now in the last year. I know I am a bigger fan after reading that quote. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Played for the first time in almost three months yesterday. I think this might be the longest layoff I've had since I started playing...and it showed.

I got a lot of work to do before my league starts up in a couple months. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That was quite a shank by Tiger on 18 yesterday.  And like every golfer he already had a built in excuse.  It was a back spasm!
  • Options
    edited February 16
    That was quite a shank by Tiger on 18 yesterday.  And like every golfer he already had a built in excuse.  It was a back spasm!
    I have about 30 back spasms every round.  Only happens on the golf course. Weird. 

It is still amazing to me that he can go shoot 1 over still on a PGA track with the injuries he has and the lack of preparation.  
  • Options
    Hmmmm….eldrick is “sick” when he’s 15 strokes off the lead.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    They took him to the hospital man
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    They took him to the hospital man
    Yeah, the dude hosted the tournament and is clearly going way beyond what most would do in his situation.  His problems are self-created, but at least he is trying and not just becoming a worthless dopehead staying at home spending the money.
  • Options
    anthony kim?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    anthony kim?
    Yeah who gives a shit. Guy will shoot in the 80's and still be playing in the weekend. Liv baby!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    edited February 27
    A more interesting LIV-related development is Joaquin Niemann getting a special invite to the Masters. He had a recent win on the European Tour and a recent LIV win. Denmark’s Thorbjørn Olesen and Japan’s Ryo Hisatsune also received invites. This is the first time since 2008 there have been three "special invites." 

Ridley's quote on the invites...

“The Masters Tournament has a long-standing tradition of inviting leading international players who are not otherwise qualified. Today’s announcement represents the Tournament’s continued commitment towards developing interest in the game of golf across the world. We look forward to welcoming each player to Augusta National this spring.”
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    anthony kim?
    Good for him.  Hasn't played professionally in 12 years and gets a shitload of money to go play on an exhibition tour.  He was a lot of fun back in the day.  Him absolutely crushing Sergio in the Ryder Cup in 08 is one of my favorite golf memories ever.
  • Options
    Age catches up to us.  Not surprised he chose LIV.   When he doesn’t play to make money from insurance, seems like he would seek out the option with the most money.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    “Suddenly, the LIV Tour, let’s just say it like this: the PGA Tour has fast become the qualifier for LIV, and it’s a sad day for golf. Yeah, I’ve watched a little bit and I’m not I’m not missing it that much. I’m not missing it at all.”  - Paul Azinger

I flipped on golf yesterday.  On the LIV channel there were players names that I recognized.  On the PGA channel, I recognized about 3 names on the top 10, and those three are "mules".  If i was going to watch for a bit, I would have probably picked LIV.   Some tournaments have history, but the Honda/Cognizant isn't something I'm concerned about who wins every year.   Golf is in trouble.   I would be only slightly surprised if Rory went to LIV.   The nail in the coffin for the PGA Tour comes when LIV gets worldwide points.  I'm not sure what money can do for the sport unless it actually goes to the broadcast channels to afford to display a fun product.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,065
    I watched LIV and the scores  are ridiculously low but I got bored so early I turned off. It just doesn't seem real to me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I watched LIV and the scores  are ridiculously low but I got bored so early I turned off. It just doesn't seem real to me.
    Yeah, it has been a while since I've intentionally sat down to watch golf.  Crazy all the money being pushed into the sport and it doesn't seem like there is a big audience for it.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    Sure seems like LIV is doing the opposite of "growing the game" then...

This week should be fun though, and then we got the Players in a couple weeks. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,065
    edited March 4
    The course was empty no fans there at all and all the bollocks around Antony Kim was embarrassing. The guy was crap
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited March 4

I wonder if golf fans should all just wave bye bye to pro golf.  The pro game has lost all creativity.   They already practice 4 hours a day, so handing them a club where they can hit it anywhere on the club face and it will still go 300 yards is ridiculous.  Tiger would have won a lot more if technology didn't take over the game.  

The remaining PGA players were willing to bankrupt the tour to get paid more and not to leave, so they aren't in it for growing the game either.  The tour could grow the game by letting the networks have a budget that allows them to display their product to fans in a fun way.  But they just squeeze out the networks so that we have playing throughs and commercials every 4 shots.  
  • Options

I wonder if golf fans should all just wave bye bye to pro golf.  The pro game has lost all creativity.   They already practice 4 hours a day, so handing them a club where they can hit it anywhere on the club face and it will still go 300 yards is ridiculous.  Tiger would have won a lot more if technology didn't take over the game.  

The remaining PGA players were willing to bankrupt the tour to get paid more and not to leave, so they aren't in it for growing the game either.  The tour could grow the game by letting the networks have a budget that allows them to display their product to fans in a fun way.  But they just squeeze out the networks so that we have playing throughs and commercials every 4 shots.  
    Can only speak for myself but I'm a golf fan who is anxiously looking forward to this weekend, the Players in a few weeks, The Masters after that, etc etc etc
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think I said it awhile back on this thread but golf is slowly becoming tennis.  Apart from a few big time non-majors like Riv, API, Players, Memorial, the majors are the only tournaments that will really matter. 1 mediocre tour and 1 joke of a tour is not good for golf fans.  It's a sad state of affairs.
  • Options

Can only speak for myself but I'm a golf fan who is anxiously looking forward to this weekend, the Players in a few weeks, The Masters after that, etc etc etc
    Maybe 7 tournaments a year will be interesting.  
  • Options
    edited March 5

Maybe 7 tournaments a year will be interesting.  
    There's 8 signature events, The Players, the 4 majors, 3 weeks of Fedex Cup playoffs and then President's Cup. So, like 17 weekends of good golf at least this year. 

LIV has definitely ruined things, but let's not act like there's not good golf on the horizon just because of a couple off weekends. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Part of it is all the money talk makes me not care.  Still good golf, but I am just turned off about how it is all about the money for these people. The signature events dilute the majors.